FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » age and religion, please (Page 6)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: age and religion, please
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
16/Christian (Non-denominational protestant)

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamson
Member # 7808

- posted      Profile for Hamson   Email Hamson         Edit/Delete Post 
15/Jewish
Posts: 879 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
Old [Razz] /Jewish.
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Bubbe? Is that you?
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

I'm not old enough to be your bubbe... [Wink]
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

quote:
Originally posted by Jonathan Howard:
15 / New-Orthodox-Jewish who prays in partly Karlibach tunes

His name is Carlebach...
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
20/ Agnostic that leans towards belief in God. I guess I hope in God.
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
I would like to state that even though my situation is similar to JaimeBenlevy, I agree with Die Tante. Belief follows in if you persuade yourself without fail to do the right deeds, belief will start settling in.

Happened to me half a year before my Bar-Mitzvah. (Ahem, I was said to have been a very good reader, God bless my great teacher, so if any of you in the States know of an - AHEM - sorry, an opening - let me know. [Razz] )

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rico
Member # 7533

- posted      Profile for Rico           Edit/Delete Post 
20/no classification

I think most people would classify me as Agnostic but personally I don't believe that everyone can fit into a niche like that. I have my own set of beliefs uniquely shaped by my experiences and how I was raised.

That doesn't stop me from seeing the beauty in some religions... though it does stop me from being able to get seriously involved in them.

Posts: 459 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChaosTheory
Member # 7069

- posted      Profile for ChaosTheory   Email ChaosTheory         Edit/Delete Post 
14/Episcopal
Posts: 163 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoberTillNoon
Member # 6170

- posted      Profile for SoberTillNoon   Email SoberTillNoon         Edit/Delete Post 
I am 18 and I am a Roman Catholic.
Posts: 262 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exploding Monkey
Member # 7612

- posted      Profile for Exploding Monkey   Email Exploding Monkey         Edit/Delete Post 
32 - agnositc
Posts: 339 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arevoj
Member # 7347

- posted      Profile for arevoj   Email arevoj         Edit/Delete Post 
39 / Quaker
Posts: 142 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
Rico, I'm sure many of us would love to know your beliefs if you'd care to share them. [Smile]
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Old enough to know better.

[Razz]

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beanny
Member # 7109

- posted      Profile for Beanny   Email Beanny         Edit/Delete Post 
17 / Jewish
Posts: 803 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Amanecer:
Agnostic that leans towards belief in God. I guess I hope in God.

Well said!
Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
socal_chic
Member # 7803

- posted      Profile for socal_chic   Email socal_chic         Edit/Delete Post 
17 / LDS
Posts: 137 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gryphonesse
Member # 6651

- posted      Profile for Gryphonesse   Email Gryphonesse         Edit/Delete Post 
interesting thread!!

Raised Roman Catholic - I still go to Ash Wednesday every year - I consider it the "Sinner's Mass". Otherwise, I don't go to church anymore. Spent most of my life in Catholic School, attended Catholic college. I will ALWAYS be Catholic on some level, even if I refer to myself now as a "recovering Catholic". I've actually found Wicca to be quite interesting, but I think that my "religion" as it were is a jumble of the ideas and guildelines that FEEL right. I think we are all born with a "Moral Compass" (with a few notable exceptions) and even from a young age we know "Right" from "Wrong". I go by this more than anything else, becuase it transcends religion and isn't exclusionary. I absolutely REFUSE to believe that someone who lives their life right and well, does well by their famliy friends and community and always tries their hardest to to what is good and true would NOT receive some kind of eternal reward- heaven, reincarnation, whatever. I flat out will not accept that good people go to hell just becuase they don't believe the same thing I do in exactly the same manner. I know too many hypocrites inside the church, and in favor with the church, to believe that.

Sorry - didn't mean to rant!!

Posts: 262 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wendybird
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Wendybird   Email Wendybird         Edit/Delete Post 
Well if we're still counting...
32/LDS

Posts: 1132 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
As long as the thread's on the first page and getting new responses, we're still counting.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liz B
Member # 8238

- posted      Profile for Liz B   Email Liz B         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
United Methodist hoping for a move toward even MORE liberal thinking within that denomination
Whooohooo! Go our team!

On a different note, I loved what Tante said about action leading to belief. My southern Baptist grammy told my aunt when she was a teenager that you don't wait till you feel like praying to pray. You just pray.

Posts: 834 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digging_holes
Member # 6237

- posted      Profile for digging_holes   Email digging_holes         Edit/Delete Post 
22/Evangelical Christian (Pentecostal, if you want to get that specific)
Posts: 1996 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lanfear
Member # 7776

- posted      Profile for Lanfear   Email Lanfear         Edit/Delete Post 
15/ Mormon
Posts: 332 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rico
Member # 7533

- posted      Profile for Rico           Edit/Delete Post 
KarlEd:

Sure I'd be glad to explain a bit.

I was born and raised Catholic, my family was never really very devout in the way that we only went to mass on special occasions but most of my family was strong on religion. I started to question my faith in the religion when my father wanted us to attend church with him regularly, it was then that I started to notice that the more I attended mass the less I believed in it. I started to feel like a robot, only attending mass because that's what you're "suppossed to do". I started to look around me every mass after that and I saw more people like me, staring at the floor, looking bored and annoyed... Didn't exactly look like they wanted to be there and I could understand why.

From then on I slowly started to question what I was taught to be absolute truth. Experiences from my early childhood and teenage years provided the push required for me to question the possibility of God actually being there. I want God to exist but I just can't convince myself that he does. A lot of my current beliefs conflict with each other at the moment because I am still slowly questioning what I was taught. For example, every single bone on my body wants to believe that there's a Heaven out there, I'd want my mother to be in no other place than that and I see her as being there, always watching over me... But, that would mean there has to be a god out there who created heaven, which goes against one of my core beliefs. So I end up believing in Heaven but not in God... It's a rather strange mix and I have many other examples but somehow it still feels right to me at the moment.

Sorry for the long post, I just didn't want to leave that unanswered [Smile]

Posts: 459 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altáriël of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altáriël of Dorthonion   Email Altáriël of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
18/Roman Catholic Apostolic although more of an independent practitioner.
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
22/ I guess you could call me agnostic. I think that IF god is out there, he's got a whole universe to take care of, and doesn't care about us on this one tiny planet.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by El JT de Spang:
As long as the thread's on the first page and getting new responses, we're still counting.

So, any intermediate results then? [Big Grin]
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Will B
Member # 7931

- posted      Profile for Will B   Email Will B         Edit/Delete Post 
Cthulhu asked me to post this for him:

200,000,000/self-worship

Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Whatever, Will B
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fusiachi
Member # 7376

- posted      Profile for Fusiachi   Email Fusiachi         Edit/Delete Post 
19/Possibly United Methodist, by virtue being the preacher's son.

At this point, I'd like to believe in God, and in Christ as well. Working on it.

Posts: 433 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
20/liberal christian who trusts common sense before strange men in robes
Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DavidGill
Member # 8166

- posted      Profile for DavidGill   Email DavidGill         Edit/Delete Post 
slithy/purple
Posts: 80 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Humean316
Member # 8175

- posted      Profile for Humean316   Email Humean316         Edit/Delete Post 
25/atheist
Posts: 457 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JaneX
Member # 2026

- posted      Profile for JaneX           Edit/Delete Post 
19/Practicing Jew with (a) beliefs leaning toward agnostic and (b) doubts about religion in general.

~Jane~

Posts: 2057 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theaca
Member # 8325

- posted      Profile for Theaca   Email Theaca         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm trying to figure out what Alt means by "Roman Catholic Apostolic". I see several non-Roman Catholic religions when I search Google that contain the words Catholic and Apostolic. It looks like those groups don't believe in the Pope, or they have their own pope. I don't see the three words used together, though. Are you Roman Catholic, Alt? Or are you something else? Can you show me an online link for it?
Posts: 1014 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
I think she means apostate.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dante
Member # 1106

- posted      Profile for Dante           Edit/Delete Post 
When I was on my LDS mission in Italy, I would not infrequently hear (and you've got to imagine this in your head with the exaggerated trilled "r"s and elongated consonants of a passionate Italian), "Io sono Cattolico...Apostolico...Romano!"
Posts: 1068 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
The Apostle's creed goes "I believe in one holy Catholic and Apostolic church", which, the way Sister Emily taught me, refers to the Catholic Church headed by the Pope in Rome. However, I've heard rumors that other people say these sames words, with a small "c" using catholic to mean universal.

I went on a team-up yesterday with the sister missionaries and spoke to a man who is Pentecostal. He was very interested in the speaking in tongues, specifically, and wanted to know what we thought about that. I read to him verse 7 from the Articles of Faith and bore my testimony about the gift of the Holy Spirit. He wanted to know why things would have changed since then. He made an appiontment for us to go back. He was very impressed by the missionaries, I think. The Elders had visited him before, too.

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
I have no idea why I posted that here. Probably because I'm still half asleep and rambling?

But I'd be interested to hear the breakdown so far, too, if anyone's still keeping tally, by age and by religion, both separately and combined.

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Epictetus
Member # 6235

- posted      Profile for Epictetus   Email Epictetus         Edit/Delete Post 
20/Raised LDS, leaning more toward Buddhism at this juncture
Posts: 681 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sharaith
Member # 8385

- posted      Profile for Sharaith   Email Sharaith         Edit/Delete Post 
14 / Jewish (though leaning more towards Atheism at the moment... [Wink] )
Posts: 6 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liz B
Member # 8238

- posted      Profile for Liz B   Email Liz B         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
However, I've heard rumors that other people say these sames words, with a small "c" using catholic to mean universal.
In the United Methodist hymnal the Apostle's Creed does refer to the "catholic" church but not the "catholic and apostolic" church. And yes, it's small c catholic (there's even an asterisk and footnote so people don't get confused [Smile] ).

-lb

Posts: 834 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Man, from the pie chart, it looks like not only do people become Republicans as they age, they also become Christian/other!
What a strange conclusion considering that Bob Scopatz, Tatiana and I are possibley the three oldest people here and are all decidedly non-republican.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.hatrack.com/cgi-bin/ubbmain/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=036515#000000

Here's the thread were the results from all this polling are. I still have the excel file somewhere on my work computer with everyone's age, if anyone's really curious.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:Originally posted by Tante Shvester:

quote:Originally posted by JaimeBenlevy:
15/ born Jewish (not sure whether I believe in the existence of G-d or not, though)

Belief is not necessary or required. All that is necessary is to do the right thing, and to behave as if there is a G'd. I went through the same thing at your age, and with practicing the mitzvos, belief sort of takes care of itself.

I would disagree with that. I thing questioning and seeking (while still practicing, preferably) are essential as well.

There are many wonderful books that can help. And these days, a multitude of online sources, like Aish.com and torah.org. [Smile]

This is Jaime, from the first post that was quoted here. I think I missed those posts back then so I'll respond to them now.

First of all, I don't believe in a God anymore. I won't go into much detail here, but I just think that a God is something people made up so we can feel like we're important in the universe and that there is a Higher Plan for each of us. Like how people used to think that the universe revolved around Earth (I hope that didn't offend anyone, it's just my opinion).

That said, I still believe in religion. I think religion is great and is important since it makes people happy and causes them to be better people. A very close friend of mine is a very observant Jew and is probably the nicest person I've ever met. My father is also pretty observant. But I still do my best to follow the person-to-person laws of Judaism, because regardless of whether there is a God or not, those are very important. I just don't follow the laws that are for God, like keeping kosher, praying every day, etc.

I don't really know why I'm posting this in a thread about ages [Dont Know]

Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
19/ and I would guess you would have to say agnostic.
Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cashew
Member # 6023

- posted      Profile for Cashew   Email Cashew         Edit/Delete Post 
53/LDS
Posts: 867 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Epictetus
Member # 6235

- posted      Profile for Epictetus   Email Epictetus         Edit/Delete Post 
21/Buddhist.

I've also been described as a Freelance Monotheist

Posts: 681 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sydneybristow
Member # 9198

- posted      Profile for sydneybristow   Email sydneybristow         Edit/Delete Post 
31/LDS

And not from Utah. Grew up near Detroit, attended a Lutheran elementary school for a while. When I was in the Army, I joined the LDS Church. It's been 12 years now.

Posts: 24 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.