FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Most Agonizing Movie Experience (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Most Agonizing Movie Experience
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a tie between Babe, Pig in the City and Ace Ventura, Pet Detective.
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Ronin
The Shadow Conspiracy

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
Gasp, Brinestone, you didn't like the talking pig? (I didn't see the movie, so I can't comment on it, but talking pigs!!!)
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm curious how many of these movie experiences were in a movie theatre, rather than on TV.

In particular, "2001" hasn't been in theaters since (I think) the '70's. I loved it when I saw it. I was about 10, and I saw it in a theater. I saw it on TV (with commercials) and got bored. I showed it to my son on VHS, and he got bored. I didn't, but I could see why he would've. I was hoping it would get shown in theaters in 2001, but all they did was release it on DVD. Maybe it would be better on a plasma screen.

Also, I recently got a copy of "Walkabout," which is from the same time period, and my daughter kept pointing out how slow it was. I think that may be a characteristic of movies of the late '60s early '70s. Today everybody is used to action every 8 seconds, and no long artistic shots. We expect the movie to keep our attention, rather than doing the work of paying attention on our own.

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
The first one was cute. The second one was agonizing.
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarcasm
Member # 4653

- posted      Profile for Sarcasm           Edit/Delete Post 
A.I.
2001: A Space Odyssey
The Star Wars Holiday Special
Scooby-Doo
Mission to Mars

Hmm. These are mostly sci-fi movies. Strange.

Posts: 276 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
Glenn, I wondered the same thing about pacing when I was watching my way through AFI's Top 100 Films list. The Graduate in particular seemed really, really slow to me. (I'm not calling it one of the agonizing movies. It wasn't bad, just slower paced.) Personally, my patience with the long, slow, artistic shots in movies depends on whether it's adding anything to the storytelling or just feels pretentious.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Moulin Rouge (dumb story, boring dialogue, bad music). My butt went numb fast. I actually would have left the theater only I was seeing the movie with my mom...

Usually it's artsy films that I find the most awful. I can usually tell from reviews whether I'll like a "regular" film. But a critic can give an artsy film a great review... and I'll find that I can't stand it... examples = Alphaville, Hiroshima Mon Amour, Daughters of the Dust

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
American Anthem. The first movie I ever walked out of.

I wanted to walk out of Muppet Treasure Island but my son wouldn't have stood for it. I got real close with Robots too... beautiful visually with a vacuum of a story.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goo Boy
Member # 7752

- posted      Profile for Goo Boy   Email Goo Boy         Edit/Delete Post 
What Women Want was pretty bad, but not bad enough to make this list.
Posts: 289 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SC Carver
Member # 8173

- posted      Profile for SC Carver   Email SC Carver         Edit/Delete Post 
Death Become Her ....I wanted to die about half way through it.

I'll second “Lost Highway ”… I should have gotten lost on the way to the theater.

The only movie I ever fell asleep in the theater was " One Fine Day " with Michelle Pfeiffer and George Clooney

But the top of my list is one no one will remember: " Solar Crisis ". It came out in the early nineties I think. It had Charlton Hesston and the "special effect team" from star wars. I couldn't possible describe how bad this movie was. I kept thinking they were going to tie together all the different threads and it would make since. It never did.

Posts: 555 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Soara
Member # 6729

- posted      Profile for Soara   Email Soara         Edit/Delete Post 
A.I was worth it all because of Jude Law.

2001 was a very bad movie already, but it was worse because I was so excited about it. My parents both speak of it with reverence in their voices. And it was so <i>bad</i>. I know people say the reason everyone likes it was because it was made before anyone made sci-fi movies. Even so...there was no plot. There was no story. Whatsoever. Maybe there was a little bit of a half-assed story, but the end didn't make the slightest bit of sense. At all.
[Wall Bash]

Posts: 464 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
Dungeons and Dragons.

The movie was bad enough, but the "movie experience" was a nightmare. A brief anecdote:

I was working in Cambridge, UK, and Dungeons and Dragons had come out and gone in the US while I had been away. So, when I saw a movie theater showing it, I decided to go.

It was pretty far out of town, and I had to pay a few pounds for a bus to get there - I even conned a roommate into going with me. When we got there, we had missed the start of the showing we wanted to see, and decided to wait - and get food.

The food was abyssmal. When we saw the movie, it too was abyssmal. When we got out, we discovered that the last bus had already left, and we were stranded with no cell phone waaay outside the city.

We walked back about an hour or so (without seeing any pay phone - the one in the theater was locked up by the time we got back from the bus stop) before a cab finally picked us up, and we paid a lot more pounds to get home, finally.

So, I essentially paid a little more than $20 to see one of the worst movies ever.

And I will never get the stolen hours of my life back.

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aeroth
Member # 6269

- posted      Profile for Aeroth   Email Aeroth         Edit/Delete Post 
Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World.

Other than one or two good action sequences, I couldn't find anything about that film that was entertaining.

Posts: 121 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The Star Wars Holiday Special

1. Not a movie
2. So bad it's funny
3. Oh, come on, the Boba Fett cartoon was cool.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
Awww, come on, Death Becomes Her is HI-larious!
Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
The only movie I've wanted to walk out of (and would have had I had my own transportation): Ace Ventura, Pet Detective.

Movie(s) I watched at home (with other people) that I found excruciating: Laurence of Arabia, 2001

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
1. Not a movie
2. So bad it's funny
3. Oh, come on, the Boba Fett cartoon was cool.

1. Picky, picky.
2. Funny in a very painful way.
3. No it wasn't.

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
After repeated attempts, I finally stayed awake to see all of 2001. And I still don't get it. Or wouldn't have, if Ron hadn't read the book and explained it to me.

I saw The Crow 2: City of Angels in the theater. *shudder* It was filmed too dark to see anything, and I couldn't understand a freaking word the guy said.

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
What's a movie I know everyone loves that I can say I dislike just to look individualistic?

I know I saw some really horrible movie in the theater, but I can't remember what it was. And it probably was beloved by many.

Oh, I don't even have to fake this: "You've got Mail." I about passed a gallstone watching that.

Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CStroman
Member # 6872

- posted      Profile for CStroman   Email CStroman         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Oh, I don't even have to fake this: "You've got Mail." I about passed a gallstone watching that.
"Shop Around the Corner" was so much better!
Posts: 1533 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
whiskysunrise
Member # 6819

- posted      Profile for whiskysunrise   Email whiskysunrise         Edit/Delete Post 
Finaly someone else who didn't like You've Got Mail.
Posts: 747 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't see it because as far as I could tell it was a rehash of Sleepless in Seattle, and I didn't like that one.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't really care for You've Got Mail, either.

To really alienate yourself, claim to hate Pirates of the Carribean with the white-hot passion of a thousand suns.

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jexx
Member # 3450

- posted      Profile for jexx   Email jexx         Edit/Delete Post 
My most agonizing movie experience was during "A Knight's Tale" after having imbibed a ginormous bucket of iced tea. The scene where he goes to see his father in the pouring rain was excruciating. After visiting the facilities (and missing about thirty seconds of screen time) I enjoyed the rest of the movie immensely.

(I have a crush on Heath Ledger, oh yes I do!)

Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Coccinelle
Member # 5832

- posted      Profile for Coccinelle   Email Coccinelle         Edit/Delete Post 
Anger Management- I went to see this with my parents, and every joke make me extremely uncomfortable sitting next to them. Not a good movie to begin with- agonizing when my mom glares at me for chuckling at every nuance.

jexx- I used to refer to Heath Ledger as Heath "yummy" Ledger until I referred to him that way to a roommate and she said, "Heath Yummy Ledger, my his name really fits him!"

Posts: 862 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
"2001 was a very bad movie already, but it was worse because I was so excited about it. My parents both speak of it with reverence in their voices. And it was so <i>bad</i>. I know people say the reason everyone likes it was because it was made before anyone made sci-fi movies. Even so...there was no plot. There was no story. Whatsoever. Maybe there was a little bit of a half-assed story, but the end didn't make the slightest bit of sense. At all."

Wow. Tell us how you really feel.

I remember when I saw it, and we came out of the theater. My brother said he loved it, but didn't understand it very well. I said it made perfect sense, and my father asked me to explain it.

Years later I had forgotten that little exchange. My brother reminded me that I had told them that the movie was about the next step in human evolution. The "dawn of man" sequence is there to show one end of an evolutionary sequence, and the end shows man becoming a new species. I hadn't remembered saying that, but I do remember the exchange outside the theater.

And I've reformulated my analogy since I was 10.

The plot is simple enough. The human race represents sperm cells in an ejaculate (Space Seed). The one sperm cell (David Bowman) makes it to the ovum and the two unite, forming a new life (Star Child). It's macroevolution and microevolution all rolled into one.

The monolith smacks of intelligent design, but certainly not what the ID people would approve of.

I'll say again that I think in this day and age people expect their entertainment in short, colorful bursts, and aren't willing to pay attention if it unfolds slowly. No wonder attention deficit disorder is so common. TV has conditioned us to expect every moment to be new, exciting and unexpected.

I happen to think 2001 is the best science fiction movie ever made, particularly because most "science fiction" consists of the writer's fantasy of what science is like. Clarke actually built his story around real science, not speculation. The sequences in space where the only thing you can hear is the astronaut's breath continue to blow my mind, and the vast blackness and monotony of space travel are spot-on. The only part that isn't science based is the monolith, and he leaves that fully unexplained. (then he screwed it up by writing the sequels, which were completely unnecessary)

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

A movie that hasn't been mentioned yet is Freddy Got Fingered. Prolly because most people were too smart to watch a Tom Green movie, unfortunatly I don't fall into that catagory.

My best friend walked out of it, for some reason I sat through it.

THE worst movie EVER. EVER.

Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BGgurl
Member # 8541

- posted      Profile for BGgurl   Email BGgurl         Edit/Delete Post 
Mouse Hunt. Back in '97, it was the only movie that I ever rented and wasn't able to finish. That says something since I was able to sit through almost any movie when I was ten years old, even the worst ones.
Posts: 106 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rico
Member # 7533

- posted      Profile for Rico           Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm bad movies? The Grudge was definitely terrible but thank god I saw that for free on DVD.

Boogieman was also equally terrible. I was confused when the credits started to roll because the movie was so lame it didn't feel like it had ended. We stayed through the whole credits just to see if it was a joke by the director and the real ending would show after the credits.

Posts: 459 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lime
Member # 1707

- posted      Profile for Lime   Email Lime         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm surprised no one's mentioned Soldier. It's the only serious movie I've ever seen that actually made me laugh out loud at the climax.

I also second, third and fourth Event Horizon. I mean, woah.

Posts: 753 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
The Punisher.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lime:
I'm surprised no one's mentioned Soldier. It's the only serious movie I've ever seen that actually made me laugh out loud at the climax.

Have you seen The Ring 2?
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

Soldier had its moments, and the ending definatly wasn't one of them.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
By far and away "My Boss' Daughter" was the worst more agonizing movie experience of my life, and I see A LOT of movies. I almost walked out, but refused to waste my money, so I stayed and watched, and suffered through it.

The Ring 2 is a close second.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Worst I've ever seen:

The One with Jet Li
Battlefield Earth
and
AI (didn't even finish watching it)

Farmgirl

( IMDB's listing of the worst movies ever)

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Treason
Member # 7587

- posted      Profile for Treason   Email Treason         Edit/Delete Post 
Why does everybody hate AI? [Frown]
I totally get Battlfield Earth, even though I've seen it 3 times. I just love it, for cheese factor reasons.

Posts: 870 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Why does everybody hate AI?
Now that I'm thinking about it, all I really remember of that movie was the end. It was absurd and completely out of sync with the rest of the movie. It felt tacked on to give it a happy ending. So, I hate it because the end sucked.

My pick right now would be The Aristocrats. I NEVER should have seen that.

Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Van Pelt
Member # 5767

- posted      Profile for John Van Pelt   Email John Van Pelt         Edit/Delete Post 
A.I.
Anything with 'Ace' and 'Ventura' in it
Anything with Eddie Murphy in a wig and a fat-suit
SW: Episodes 1 & 2
Whale Rider
That one about orchids with Nicholas Cage and John Malkovich
Being There was not agonizing, but it was highly overrated

but...
English Patient?
Out of Africa?
* sniff! * those are on my top-twenty list!

Oh well. Vive la difference.

Posts: 431 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lime
Member # 1707

- posted      Profile for Lime   Email Lime         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jon Boy:
Have you seen The Ring 2?

Nope. Though judging from the sentiment running through the thread, I might not be mentioning Soldier if I had.

(Hmm, maybe I would be. I love the prop for the bomb - it's a silver tripod and a basketball wrapped in aluminum foil!)

Posts: 753 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

I don't know what everyone has agianst Whale Rider, I mean sure, it makes you cry, but that doesn't make it a bad movie.

I can understand the hate for AI and Battlefield Earth, but I still think they were only mediocre and not really bad.

If you want really bad watch Ralph Bakshi's Lord of the Rings. .

Lord Solar Macharius
Member # 7775

- posted      Profile for Lord Solar Macharius           Edit/Delete Post 
During my life I have only ever left three movies unfinished:

Hollywood Homicide
Star Wars Episode 2: Attack of the Clones
Catwoman

Later I discovered that Star Wars was watchable if you hit the scene skip button any time Anakin appeared on screen.
The rest fits under the term "dreck", though.

Posts: 254 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
Alexander: His helmet in the battle of Guagemela was enough to ruin the movie in and of itself ... but Oliver Stone found plenty more ways to create this borefest. Created an entirely new level of suckiness.

Lost in Translation: My wife's twenty-three hours of labor was less painful and tedious than this critic's darling.

Godzilla: The Japanese fellow I went with was mad at me for days afterwards for what Americans had done to Godzilla. "Godzilla is not an iguana." And don't get me started on the Sean "Puff Diddly" Combs soundtrack work.

Mars Attacks: Probably wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't still hearing a couple of my friends go "Ack, Ack, Ack" all of the time.

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rico
Member # 7533

- posted      Profile for Rico           Edit/Delete Post 
Gaah! The English Patient!

Why did someone have to remind me of that experience? I need a lobotomy, stat!

Posts: 459 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NinjaBirdman
Member # 7114

- posted      Profile for NinjaBirdman   Email NinjaBirdman         Edit/Delete Post 
Gigli

Yes, I sat through it.

Posts: 204 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
Un chien andalou (or in English The Andalusian Dog). It's a very random piece that was written I believe by Salvador Dali. It's just a bunch of random stuff for 13 minutes. The first time I saw it I laughed at the randomness. Subsequent times just make me hate it because it has no point. Don't even get me started on that ending. *shakes head*
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, some good, bad choices here. Not the top of my list, but definitely dishonorable mentions. AI had several endings, you know. So that's probably why it seemed tacked on: they all were.

Lost in Translation was highly overrated, boring, and immoral.

I thought Teen Wolf was perfectly awful. Michael J. Fox's worst movie. (That I saw. I never saw Bright Lights, Big City, or Casualties of War.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Lost in Translation was highly overrated, boring, and immoral.

Oh, wow. Seriously? I don't understand how someone could not love that movie.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EndertheJedi
Member # 7889

- posted      Profile for EndertheJedi   Email EndertheJedi         Edit/Delete Post 
most movies i gsee are movies that I can tell from the previews are gonna be good otherwise I dont even bother. the only really bad movie experience I ever had was when I took my younber brother to see the movie cats and dogs. the theater version was so mindnumblignly excruciating that I would rather eat paint. and then for some unknown reason I watched it again on VHS. the second time I found it really good. I dinot know why . go figure.
I will agree with alot of people that 2001 is not as good as you would think for all the hpye. the movie is well amde. its just that i think the ending throws alot of people. all that work paiung attention for that long and then the end makes almost no sense.
SW episode 2 was the only Star wars movie that I think was subpar. it had a very bad plot and bad
acting but the action scenes at least make it watvchalbe and it does set up episode 3 nicely which is my all time favorite movie.

Posts: 26 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

Lost in Translation is a character study about two people who are going through large changes in their life, in a foriegn land. They find comfort in each other, in a compleatly innocent and wonderful way.

Sure, the movie is a bit slow, and doesn't have any real action, but I really enjoyed it.

Okay, if you didn't like the pace or the plot, I could see "overrated" and "boring", but I just don't understand "immoral".

P.S. EndertheJedi, I'm not a huge grammer Nazi or anything (mostly 'cuse I can't spell so hot) but seriously...come on now.

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.