FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Serenity box office: $25.7 mil so far (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Serenity box office: $25.7 mil so far
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
To-date grosses, including worldwide, are $25,7 mil.

If you haven't seen it yet, don't wait for the DVD. See it now!

If you have seen it, go again!

[ October 17, 2005, 12:56 PM: Message edited by: Chris Bridges ]

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Arg, we've got to get it up to #1. Flightplan shouldn't beat it in it's second week. Drat.

I'm going to see it twice today.

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Was gonna go see it again on Monday -- prefer not to be around weekend crowds -- but I'll shift forward to today or tomorrow, just to say "JossWhedon did a great job." Even though I've never*gone to see any movie in a theater more than once.
Yep, Serenity is that good. GO SEE IT NOW

* Except for revival showings of cult or classic movies many years later.

[ October 01, 2005, 01:36 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
how much did it cost to make? anyone know?
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

$40million
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
oh dear...
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
It will suck if this great movie doesn't do better at the box office than that. [Frown]

Not to belabor the obvious, but...

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theaca
Member # 8325

- posted      Profile for Theaca   Email Theaca         Edit/Delete Post 
It was only at 2200 theaters, isn't that a bit low? Maybe that's part of it. I thought maybe it would take off with a bang but maybe it's going to build slowly. The excellent reviews it is getting should really help...
Posts: 1014 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Oliver Dale
Member # 8398

- posted      Profile for Oliver Dale   Email Oliver Dale         Edit/Delete Post 
Have we learned NOTHING from the past? Some exec will get antsy and pull it from theaters, and then it will sell a bazillion DVDs, prompting a sequel. I don't understand what all the anxiety is about....

jk.

I'm going to see it this afternoon. Twice. And I'm going to drag people in off the street.

Posts: 92 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

Push for an $80million box office. Universal has already said they'll back Whedon again if Serenity hits that mark.
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
It should win an oscar or something. My only problem is that it wasn't quite deep enough to stick with me. It was played too casually, or simply, in other words, I didn't learn anything. I am the same guy before as I am after, and that's not quite right. Don't get me wrong, I thoroughly enjoyed the ride.

I just think that a great movie should have some more staying power in my soul. WHen Serenity was done, I wanted to see more because I liked the characters, I didn't want to see more out of some sense of duty. This is one of those movies that, while arresting, did not lead my soul to wisdom.

[ October 01, 2005, 02:36 PM: Message edited by: Irami Osei-Frimpong ]

Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digging_holes
Member # 6237

- posted      Profile for digging_holes   Email digging_holes         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't seen it, but the review in the paper this morning thought it was fun and would make a cute TV show. [Wink]
Posts: 1996 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Are you serious? Were they joking?
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to go see it tonight hopefully.
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

quote:
Originally posted by digging_holes:
I haven't seen it, but the review in the paper this morning thought it was fun and would make a cute TV show. [Wink]

[ROFL]
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digging_holes
Member # 6237

- posted      Profile for digging_holes   Email digging_holes         Edit/Delete Post 
Teshi : yes I'm serious, and yes, he was joking. It was quite an amusing review, in fact, and I think I shall have to go see what all the fuss is about one of these days.
Posts: 1996 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
#1. Movies do better on Saturday and Sunday.
#2. A $15-17 million weekend opening ain't bad for this time of year.
#3. I don't know if this movie will drop the 2nd week as much as most movies do. I suspect Serenity will have legs.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digging_holes
Member # 6237

Long sexy legs or short flabby legs?
Treason
Member # 7587

- posted      Profile for Treason   Email Treason         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to see it again today.
Posts: 870 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
I think Serenity will do ok. Even if Universal only breaks even at the box office, the DVD sales should be incredible this Christmas.

Besides, there aren't that many good movies out there right now. The field is pretty thin.

That doesn't mean I'm not going to watch it for the third time this weekend, just to make sure.

I've lost Firefly and Freaks & Geeks. I'm not losing this darn it!

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, our theater was pretty full last night at 10pm. And we live, I admit, in the boonies. So that was pretty good.
Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Astaril
Member # 7440

- posted      Profile for Astaril   Email Astaril         Edit/Delete Post 
Just came back from seeing it with seven other people. As in there were seven other people in the theatre, not with me. I got there early to avoid massive lineups to find that the lineup consisted of me. I almost thought I'd get a private screening; it was 5 minutes before the show started before anyone else came in. So not looking good here. But then, it *is* a small city. Maybe absolutely everyone in town went last night and it was jam-packed then...?
Posts: 624 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Seeing it in a couple hours [Smile]
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
The theater was only about 1/5 or 1/4 full when I saw it.
Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
My wife and I are taking two people with us tomorrow. Doing our best here!
Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Long sexy legs or short flabby legs?
What about short sexy legs?
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
babager
Member # 6700

- posted      Profile for babager   Email babager         Edit/Delete Post 
Gonna go see it again today [Smile]
Posts: 295 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw it in a theatre with 13 other people. Darn, I thought my city would have the poorest showing!
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

I saw the 4:05 showing on a Friday so not the fullest- it was about half full. I assume the later evening showings were fuller.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw the 12:30 showing early early this morning. It was me and my 5 friends, and then another group of maybe 9 people.

I wonder what the 8pm showing looked like.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Magson
Member # 2300

- posted      Profile for Magson   Email Magson         Edit/Delete Post 
I went to an 11:30 am showing yesterday, and the theater was about half full, I think. One woman came in when there were still only about 10 people there and her jaw hit the floor and she commented to the person she was with "I can't believe it's so *crowded.*"

I couldn't believe she reacted that way when only 10 people were in the theater at the time. . . .

Posts: 1323 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

Posted by Joss Whedon on the movie site:
quote:
So, it starts. We've all heard the good and bad about the B.O., but what does it all mean? 3.9, not huge on the richter scale, but it's the aftershocks that count. I talked to the Uni execs and they were very cool. This is less than projected, but they understand (as I've been saying since before I made the thing) that this is about slow growth. Word of mouth. We got some crazy sweet reviews, but more importantly, people are having fun. I saw it with some family last night: the crowd was not big at all, but they really enjoyed themselves and that's what matters. Remember what I said about holding? That's how it's done. (Oh, and people like you all, dragging your friends and seeing it multiple times -- don't think I've forgotten your crazy love.) Normal drop-off for a film is 40% in the second weekend. I really think we can beat that. There's nothing normal about this one, guys, which is why Uni gets such props for taking it on and hanging with it. Remember, "Rome" wasn't filmed in a day. (I'm not sure if that means anything, but it giggles me.) We'll see if we can push Saturday a little harder, maybe even muster up a little Sunday brawn. Then let people get to school, the office, let them talk about it. We've got a long way to go, and it would have been very relaxing to have smashed through to destined success on opening night. But we're not a bunch known for relaxing. You guys have been in the fight for so long, I expect you know that resting everything on opening night is exactly the paradigm this movie is trying to unravel.

Remember, we're still too pretty to die, although I am jowly enough to be mortally wounded. Thanks, my peeps, for always remembering the first rule of flying. I'll check in soon. -j.

Narnia
Member # 1071

I saw it with a PACKED theater at 7:45 last night. I plan for the theater to be packed again when I go see it at 6:15 and 9:10 this evening. (I can't let the anecdotes of empty theaters depress me.) Gotta stay chipper!!!! [Smile]
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Saw it at a 4 PM showing today that was 2/3 full. Nice to see it with a good crowd and hear the laughs and "Oh no!" exclamations.
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

There were a fair number of people at the Winchester this morning at 11:30 am, but no where NEAR full or even half full.

The movie was fantastic though. There's gotta be a sequel!

Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
$4 million for a Friday? This year, that has to be a pretty strong showing.

He said in furious denial of anything else.

Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
Our showing tonight was pretty sad as far as attendance, but then again it was the late set.

I think it'll have a good long run. It should drop off after only a week or two. This is a movie that is gonna benefit really well by word of mouth, especially with non-Firefly-fans.

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
I went to the 10:15 showing. There were enough people in the theatre that the people I went with and I didn't get to have that one empty seat as a buffer between us and the people next to us, but it wasn't full.

However, they still had those barricade line-up things and signs out for the 7pm showing, so apparently they expected a lot of people for it.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foust
Member # 3043

- posted      Profile for Foust   Email Foust         Edit/Delete Post 
*weeps*

I'm in South Korea and won't be able to see Serenity for maybe 2 months...

Posts: 1515 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm hoping to see it Thursday and hoping it stays for a second week in my town so I can see it next weekend, as well. Thursday is my payday, and also the end of the movie theater week, so if it doesn't stay a second week, at least I'll get to see it once.

I'm going to have to make arrangements at work, though, to do this - I work Monday through Friday. (Trying to picture my immediate supervisor's face when I explain that I'm planning to go to a movie at 4:30 in the afternoon. [Eek!] But, it's got to be done - just in case the movie doesn't play a second week here. Maybe I'm paranoid, but I missed seeing too many movies because they only played one week here. (Okay, or two weeks, but played longer elsewhree.)

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
We're aiming for next weekend. [Smile]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

Isn't this interesting? The Firefly DVD set is currently #3 in DVD sales at Amazon.
kojabu
Member # 8042

I went to the 7.20 showing at the theater near me and it was pretty near full. I ended up convincing two extra friends to come along with the original group of three. I also ran into some friends who had seen the 3.00 showing and they said it was also pretty full. On the doors of the theater they had written SERENITY in giant white letters. I was pleased.
Alucard...
Member # 4924

- posted      Profile for Alucard...   Email Alucard...         Edit/Delete Post 
Chris,

I had completely missed the Firefly fanfare, so I am one of those that blindly but with no doubts, ordered Firelfy from Amazon a few days before Serenity came out.

BTW the film was awesome! I will see it again soon!

Posts: 1870 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

I saw it twice yesterday with a very respectable crowd both times. (You know how the really large theater seeting is? The majority of the seating is stadium style with some more level seating on the floor? Well, at both of my showings, the stadium seats were mostly full.)

The gross for yesterday wasn't very encouraging though. 3.7 million and it slipped to #3 behind Flightplan and Corpse bride. Why why WHY is Flightplan doing so well?! [Mad]

Teshi
Member # 5024

This site is helping give me an idea of how Serenity's doing.

EDIT: But I know more people are being introduced to Firefly (and thus, Serenity) as we speak.

Narnia
Member # 1071

http://www.showbizdata.com/index.cfm

That's my site. It actually calculates daily gross (as good as it can.) I think you have to register though, but it's free and not a pain in the butt.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
"Why why WHY is Flightplan doing so well?!"

Mass hallucinations? Who knows. Maybe it's a morbid fascination, everyone wanted to know what the love child of Air Force One and Panic Room would look like.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

No no no! It's the child of Air Force One and the Forgotten. We all saw the Forgotten. She gets the kid back at the end. Does that satisfy everyone's morbid desire? [Wink]
Teshi
Member # 5024

Maybe I should get a big sign and stand outside the cinema:

"Don't see Flightplan. See Serenity. It's better."

I'm not sure if that's allowed, though.

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.