FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Serenity box office: $25.7 mil so far (Page 4)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Serenity box office: $25.7 mil so far
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Couldn't manage to see it again today - Wallace and Gromit called -- but I bought two tickets anyway [Smile]
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
So, I get to the theater at 7:18 for a 7:20 showing. It takes me five minutes to get my tickets, and I get into the theater after the trailers have already started.

And I'm the only one there.

Whole theater. All to myself. After all the trailers, as the opening sequence is starting, two groups of 3 walk in.

So, total population in the theater was 7. Total of $66.50 made on that screening.

I absolutely loved it, but that's a pretty poor draw regardless.

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blackthorne
Member # 8295

- posted      Profile for Blackthorne   Email Blackthorne         Edit/Delete Post 
There is only one theater near me that plays Serenity at any kind of decent times. I have gone twice (both with different sets of people), but I have had a hard time convincing more people to go. This weekend I'm trying for at least 36 people from my school in one group showing (18 guys with dates [Wink] )
Posts: 60 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
That's a shame, FlyingCow. Did you consider dragging in folks from other films?
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
Man this stinks.... I doubt they'll do another after this, which really stinks.
Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Depends. Over the next three months it will be released in like three dozen countries. It cost 40 million to make, and I can easily see it hitting 80 million worldwide, to say nothing of the millions they will make off of the DVD.

40 million dollar profits and multimillion dollar DVD sales are nothing to shake a stick at. I think they will heavily consider a second movie.

Further, some of what hurts it as a movie, considering the genre, is that unlike Star Wars or Star Trek, it isn't marketable to children at all, which ruins a key demographic, and eliminated any real chance of selling millions of dollars in merchandizing. It isn't a BIG factor, but I'm sure it has occurred to the movie execs.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

That's too bad. I'd still buy a River action figure. Or even a River Barbie doll, if it comes to that.
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm off to see my last showing this weekend. [Smile]
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

Lucky.

I'll see it twice more tomorrow.

Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Chris, you're definitely the resident Serenity expert. Do you know if there is a time frame within which they have to hit the $60 or $80 million mark (I can't remember which is the correct figure) in order for a sequel to be made?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Serenity opened at #1 in the UK and Ireland this weekend. [Big Grin] Great news.
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
Is it not overseas much at all yet?

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=serenity.htm

Doesn't look good....

Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I think this weekend also lost out in Canada because it was Thanksgiving and most people were at home eating turkey instead of going out to see films...
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Haven't heard anything definite. The number previously touted was $80 million but I don't know how much of that had to come from box office (as opposed to DVD sales) before a sequel would be considered.

I suspect it'll do very well on DVD but that might not guarantee a theatrical sequel. And I don't think if that was the case that they'd pony up enough budget to make a stright-to-DVD version workable, although it's certainly a possibility.

What I'm curious about is what the merchandising sales will do. The novelization has been hitting various best-seller lists, the Firefly DVD set has stayed in the top of Amazon's DVD sales, and the movie soundtrack is #15 in music sales and #1 in soundtrack sales at Amazon. What kind of muscle, if any, will this add?

And what happens if Whedon's star keeps rising? He's slated to do two more movies soon, either of which could make some serious bank. Will that give him enough pull to bring back his baby? It worked for Vin Diesel who used his (then) star power to make a sequel ("The Chronicles of Riddick") to a movie that didn't do very well. Who knows?

I'm happy we got the movie. If nothing else we got a closer for the series. And there's at least two original Firefly books coming out next year. It ain't over...

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
i'm seeing it this wensday, I'm going to try to get others to see it with me.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
I went to see it yesterday. I would never have gone to see it had it not been for Hatrack, but oh man...it was SO GOOD. I just kinda sat there afterward with my mouth hanging open. I want to see it again, because I know I missed a lot. As I've never seen the Firefly series, I was just getting to know the characters through most of it.

I especially appreciated that there was absolutely nothing offensive about it at all. Yeah, it's violent, but not graphically so, there's no swearing, and no nudity. So I could just enjoy the story as it was presented without getting shoved out by gratuitous language. Which is not to say I don't appreciate it if it's part of the story. It just didn't add anything objectionable for no particularly good reason.

And the theater was not packed, but it wasn't empty either. About a third full.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

Yay jeniwren! [Smile] If you want to borrow my DVDs, jsut holler and I'll send them up to you. [Big Grin]
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
jeniwren, just so you know...there's nudity in Firefly. Some swearing, too, but mostly in Chinese. Still, if you enjoyed the movie, you'll probably fall in love with the series, too. It's well worth getting to know those characters better.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

Most of the nudity is handsome muscular guys, so it's all good.
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

The nudity is mostly on Nathan. But he's pretty, so it's ok.
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
*mild spoiler, if it can be called a spoiler*

Yeah, I love the episode that starts with him sitting alone in the middle of the desert, buck naked, saying, "Well, that went well!"

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Pretty naked men?

Count me in.

Oh, and I love Richard B. Riddick. So there.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

So do I, Beverly. I like the end of that episode too.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

Yeah, we know which end you're looking at. [Wink]
accio
Member # 3040

- posted      Profile for accio   Email accio         Edit/Delete Post 
SciFi channel showed that episode “Trash” on last Friday. I loved the ending too. [ROFL]

Mal: Yeah, that went well.
Inara: You call this going well?
Mal: We got the loot didn't we?
Inara: Yes, but...
Mal: Then I call it a win. What's the problem?
Inara: Should I start with the part where you're stranded in the middle of nowhere or the part where you have no clothes?

Posts: 333 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

Narnia, that's incredibly generous, thank you!! I may take you up on it if Santa falls through on me. (now there's a visual image...)

Shig, I appreciate that warning. I actually don't have a problem with nudity. Or language, really. As long as it's not gratuitous or distracting from the story. I especially don't have a problem with nudity when it's used apart from sex. I like the idea that people can be nude without it being about sex, a concept not often featured in the media.

I may not be able to wait for Santa.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

Er...some of it is during sex scenes. If you want to skip those, I'm sure someone can tell you exactly when to fast-forward. But some of the nudity is just part of the plot.
Narnia
Member # 1071

Just zip me your address to cecilyjeanne at gmail dot com.

I don't have any problem sending them up to you because a) my sister has her own copy if I get a hankering and b) I know you're extremely considerate and you'll send them back. [Smile]

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Believe it or not... I can't get any of my kids to agree to go see Serenity with me! (my kids are the only ones that go watch movies with me). I thought they would be begging for it since they loved Firefly when it was on TV -- but they don't seem at all interested in Serenity.

So I haven't seen it yet.... [Frown]

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

Narnia...I'm so embarrassed and flattered, though I would definitely send them back to you if I still needed to borrow them. BUT... I couldn't stand thinking about NOT having my own copy, so I went to Amazon and just ordered the series (and A Feast For Crows, which I had to have). And it turns out it won't cost me anything, because I had a gift certificate on my account I'd forgotten about. So it's all good, and if I can EVER do anything for you, please let me know. I am very touched by your offer.
DarkKnight
Member # 7536

- posted      Profile for DarkKnight   Email DarkKnight         Edit/Delete Post 
I finally went to see it on Sunday, and I loved it! I will definitely be going back again soon!
Posts: 1918 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
Chris, What other movies is Whedon slated to do?
Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw it Saturday, and the theatre was absolutely packed. It was a fairly small theatre, but it was difficult to find seats. So that's good.

I'd probably see it again. I've only seen a few episodes, so all the backstory is slightly over my head, but I'd still go. With the right people.

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

"Wonder Woman" and something of his own called "Goner."
Shmuel
Member # 7586

- posted      Profile for Shmuel   Email Shmuel         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lupus:
What other movies is Whedon slated to do?

First up is Wonder Woman. Hearing that he was going to be running it changed my gut reaction from "This is probably gonna suck" to "This just might actually work."

After that, something called Goners.
quote:
"It's the story of a young woman's journey that involves a great deal of horror and some heroics," he said. "It's certainly darker than 'Serenity,' and there are a lot of left turns along the way. It is something I had in mind for a while, and it just poured out of me when I finished my film."
See this article for a bit more.
Posts: 884 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

[Smile] at jeniwren. You'll be glad to have your own copy and I'm glad it didn't cost you anything! That's great news!! Thanks for your offer too, you're a sweetie.
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
My friend with the short term memory problem called recently and said we had to go out again. This time, it is my turn to pick the movie.

Heh, heh.

So, I told her I really wanted to see Serenity, and told her a bit about it.

Today she called me and said she couldn't find a movie listing for "Fantasia". O_O

I cleared it up, and wr may be going thiis weekend.

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alucard...
Member # 4924

- posted      Profile for Alucard...   Email Alucard...         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw the film first, and had ordered the DVDs from amazon. I received them on Friday, and finished watching them yesterday. I was left very sad that this series ended up finished before it really had a chance to tell its story...

The film was incredible, though. I think I rambled on aimlessly about it in this thread already.

I caught myself thinking many times in the film that I had wished George Lucas had had the gumption to make Star Wars as intelligent and as alluring as Serenity is. Instead, we got another trilogy that was watered down for the kids.

Posts: 1870 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Anyone know where I can get reports on international movie gross?

I'm told it debuted at number one in England, but I don't know where to get British movie sales info from.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged
Member # 7476

- posted      Profile for Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged   Email Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged         Edit/Delete Post 
Serenity international Box Office
Posts: 796 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

Alucard, the first thing I said after the credits started rolling when we went to see Serenity was "That was the movie Star Wars wished it could have been."
Audeo
Member # 5130

- posted      Profile for Audeo   Email Audeo         Edit/Delete Post 
I happened to be home for the weekend on Serenity's opening weekend, and I decided that it would be fun to go see a movie. I really wanted to see Lord of War, but since my 8 year old brother had to come, that movie was ruled out. So we decided on Serenity, because it was only pg-13 and it looked like it had an action plot. I'd never seen the show, but I really liked the movie. I was surprised to see that the theater was nearly empty, but the movie was just good. There was an excellent mix of comedy and drama, the action sequences were believable, and there was actually a great deal of depth to the story. It greatly exceeded my initial expectations. I'd go see it again except a) I'm a poor college student and b) I don't have a convenient way to get to a theater where it is playing.
Posts: 349 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Guy buys $2500 dollars worth of Serenity tickets and gives them away outside the theater.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

I think I'm going to go see it again today. [Smile]
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going this weekend, no question. I've only seen it once, so I'm really not pulling my weight.

Maybe I'll buy two tickets.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KPhysicsGeek
Member # 8655

- posted      Profile for KPhysicsGeek   Email KPhysicsGeek         Edit/Delete Post 
Going to see it again this weekend, I'm dragging 7 friends with me (6 of who are Firefly Virgins). I've thought of just buying a bunch of tickets, but I'm a poor high school teacher.
Posts: 68 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dread Pendragon
Member # 7239

- posted      Profile for Dread Pendragon   Email Dread Pendragon         Edit/Delete Post 
My wife and I saw it last night. Like someone mentioned before, we got into the theatre a couple of minutes late to find we were the only ones there.

Three other people came in just after the previews. It was a Wednesday night movie in a smallish town, so it isn't that surprising.

I think there is good character development when you kind of like, or at least grudgingly respect, the bad guy. The assassin was a great character. Instead of going off to end himself on his sword (there is no shame in that!) he should have joined the crew. To make it believable he would have had to see his role as actively making the universe a better place. It may have put people off to have him join the crew because of the dark thing he had done, but sparing their lives at the end showed him to be more of principle than darkness. I could have accepted him joining the crew, and he would be a good person to have in a sequel.

We really enjoyed the movie.

Posts: 159 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Alucard, the first thing I said after the credits started rolling when we went to see Serenity was "That was the movie Star Wars wished it could have been."
::sigh:: Other than the fact that the prequels and Serenity are both arguably sci fi, they aren't really comparable. And either way, the original Star Wars series is still far better than Serenity.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I hope it's still playing tomorrow. We have podunk theaters here, and poor performers leave quickly.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

Lyrhawn, you're one of the few people I've seen who believes that. S'ok. To each his own (meaning, opinions aren't fact. Thank goodness.)

Dag, you'll just have to DRIVE a few hours! [Big Grin] It's totally worth it, I promise.

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.