FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Serenity box office: $25.7 mil so far (Page 3)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Serenity box office: $25.7 mil so far
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Everyone I've talked to has been fairly open with hearing about it. No one's dismissed it outright, at least, although perhaps they're just being polite.

I tried to get a review into the college newspaper, but the editor said they had had four people ask to do Serenity. She said she'd heard of people getting together to see the movie ( [Wink] ) and she thought this was "hardcore". I think it has a bit of a geeky or obsessive reputation (gee, I wonder why?)

I told her there are a lot of people who want to see the movie succeed because it's so amazing. I'm hoping she bites or at least tells people about it. She certainly knows about it now!

Most of my friends have expressed some interest. I'm really reaching out here though, fitting it into every conversation with someone who I think might be interested. If you know people who have siblings or other-halves who might like to see it suggest they recommend the film to the better target- or even that they take their other half.

I really want this film to succeed because it deserves to.

EDIT: I'm also steering clear of the "space western" description. I call it a very funny, very smart, super intense sci-fi action adventure.

It makes it sound more mainstreamly obscure.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
My college newspaper only gave it 2 stars.

*searching for link*

http://www.cornellsun.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2005/10/03/434088ad26a1d

Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

Argh. What a wet dishrag. If the person who gets their review in is negative I'll... squish them.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
"So many characters populate the movie that it’s hard to truly have a sense for their personalities or why they’re important to the story."

That's a fair criticism. Book, Inara, Wash, and Zoe were pretty much one-dimensional characters. But what do you expect out of a two hour movie?

"It takes a true devotee to get past the ridiculous dialogue and hammy acting to see what great what fun a space-opera can be."

This part is dead wrong. Whedon's dialogue is always interesting, frequently funny, and on some occasions, even poetic. The acting is a bit hammy at times, but it fits well into the the tone of the movie.

Here's a rave review from two Salt Lake City DJs who have never seen the series before.

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
I saw the Serenity trailer before Batman Begins too Jim-me (both times).

I also saw short trailers on TV during episodes 1 and 2 of the 2nd season of Lost. That made me happy.

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Olivet:
neo-dragon, I read your post and it made me sad. Between your experiences and my own, I think a lot of the people in our lives are just ... idiots, wanting some pre-digested pablum or pre-packaged "deep" entertainment.

But my friends are usually pretty receptive to sci-fi. Hell, all of my close friends are geeks on some level. I don't know why they have such weird misconceptions about Serenity... [Confused]
I'll definitely be seeing it again in theatres, and I'll do my best to drag people with me. I know they'll like it if they give it a chance.

Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

Wow. That's harsh. [Frown]

quote:
At the end of this weekend, I wish the Browncoats would take a moment from their finger pointing and take a long hard look at themselves and ask if their in-your-face evangelizing didn’t hurt this film more than it helped. I believe there is a huge awareness of this movie, and I believe there are many people who are predisposed to seeing scifi films who stayed home this weekend. The question has to be, “Why?” I think that more and more the actions of small, hardcore fanbases – like Trekkies and the increasingly marginalized Star Wars fruitcakes – are becoming distasteful to the more mainstream genre audience.

Chud

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shmuel
Member # 7586

- posted      Profile for Shmuel   Email Shmuel         Edit/Delete Post 
On the official forum, Joss replied to that (contains no spoilers for the film; a minor one for the TV series):
quote:
So I was flouncing (that's lurking but fancier) about WHEDONESQUE (for which I have forgotten my password yet again) and I couldn't help but see the little CHUD.com hate-bomb that Devin wrote. I don't mind that he doesn't love the film, but things like "It failed in a big way" and "It's over" are about as charming -- and journalistic -- as "I was right." I am being totally realistic when I say the weekend grosses did not meet expectations -- but those expectations were based on models that don't apply to this situation because, seriously, nothing does. The industry is not calling this a failure, just a slightly soft version of a normal opening in a generally weak weekend.

Now I did meet Devin, and he's not a dumb guy. But he seems to have a real animus against you Browncoats, and that's the thing I wanted to comment on, 'cause that doesn't sit well with me. He actually blames you guys for making sci-fi fans stay away from the movie. Says you should be ashamed for having adopted a name, that you will start finger-pointing and bickering now that you've 'caused' the 'failure' of your film. He blames other things as well -- the title, the ads -- but that's fine. If one --ONE -- of you guys reads that column and takes it to heart I'll not sleep. You guys did an amazing thing this weekend -- and the exit polls showed how much you guys were out there, and how much business you dragged in with you. Not to mention everything you did for the months - sorry, YEARS -- before it opened. I'm crazy proud of you. Yes, there is an exclusionary element to some fandom that is inevitable, but this group has fought that as well or better as any, and maybe I'm a nerd, but being compared to a Trekker (or even a TrekkIE) doesn't offend me a bit.

We all know this remains an uphill battle. We all know that next weekend is crucial -- and a lot of it will rest on us. A lot will rest on the studio reaching people we can't. And factors we can't see coming. But I don't especially appreciate people calling Time of Death while I'm still operating. I don't like smug defeatism. And nobody disses the 'coats without me wading in. That's all.

The question remains: Did Early die out there in space, or did some passing ship show up at the last second? There's no answer yet, but I sure as hell know how I'd write it.

-j.

That was followed on chud.com by this reply to Joss.
Posts: 884 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the_Somalian
Member # 6688

- posted      Profile for the_Somalian   Email the_Somalian         Edit/Delete Post 
Guys, I'm starting to like Joss Whedon as a person now. =(
Posts: 722 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Firefly DVDs now at #2 in the Amazon's DVD top sellers.
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, between the interviews and the posts, I really like him. [Smile] It took a very long time for me to see anything of his, since I resisted Buffy and Angel for years. But I'm impressed.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Art Vandelay
Member # 8690

- posted      Profile for Art Vandelay   Email Art Vandelay         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm still resisting Buffy and Angel.

I just don't like Sarah Michelle Gellar.

Posts: 31 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

Thanks for posting that Shmuel. Not that we Browncoats need any defending, but it is still shiny that he made the gesture. [Smile]

Art, although Buffy is Whedon's signature character, SMG is by no means the best actress in the Whedonverse. I really don't care for her either, that's why I watched Angel first and only started watching Buffy just to catch up on the background stuff.

The great thing about Whedon's work is that it doesn't really rely on any one character to "pull it off." He has said in interviews that when he is casting a part, he is looking more for a connection than acting ability.

This results in ensemble casts with tremendous chemistry and sense of family. And nowhere is that more evident than on Serenity/Firefly.

Don't let a single actress turn you off. [Smile]

Astaril
Member # 7440

- posted      Profile for Astaril   Email Astaril         Edit/Delete Post 
I never watched Buffy because the original Kristy Swanson movie was my favourite movie when it came out (I was little), and I thought the new series took the characters and world and ideas and ruined them entirely. I always felt bad for the original movie folks whose film was never a big hit and who had to watch this bastardized spinoff of their work do so well. Of course, then I found out it was the same person behind both. [Smile]

Still, Buffy never did it for me either in the few episodes I saw. (I mean, other than the musical one of course, because that was awesome.) I watched the first scene of the Firefly pilot with Wash, however, and I was hooked. So you may still like it, Art, despite Buffy.

Posts: 624 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
Were you hooked? I seem to recall you sleeping through it and having to try again.
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Astaril
Member # 7440

- posted      Profile for Astaril   Email Astaril         Edit/Delete Post 
Had to come in here and ruin my shining fandom record, didn't you? [Razz]

Okay, so I fell asleep the first time. That's why I said "the first scene" instead of "the first episode". But wasn't that when I'd just arrived after 36 or so solid hours of red-eye flights and delays and travelling to get home from the High Arctic where I'd been working hard outside every day in total wilderness for 3 weeks? That's what I thought. Totally valid excuse for exhaustion. I did like the dinosaur scene I caught at least, which made me ask to borrow it as soon as I could. I would never have fallen asleep on a normal basis. (And just you hush about all those other examples you have up your sleeve, BtL. They weren't Firefly!)

Posts: 624 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
*shrug*

I find Buffy pretty much intolerable. Angel I can stand in small doses. I don't think there's any rule that says Firefly fans have to like all or even most of Joss' work.

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
Buffy made me laugh, fairly consistently. I more or less hung with it. The angsty Buffy/Angel storyline wore my nerves a bit.

Angel... I slogged through the first 8 or 9 episodes out of a sense of duty, then I gave up. Partly because the WB comes in badly with rabbit ears, and the show was so dark I couldn't see much through the snow. And partly because I just didn't give a rat's nether regions about any of the other characters after Doyle... went away.

But I DID really like Firefly.

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
spygurl121
Member # 8699

- posted      Profile for spygurl121   Email spygurl121         Edit/Delete Post 
How freaking awesome is it that my favorite author on the planet thinks that my current favorite movie on the planet, made by my favorite genius geek on the planet, is the best sci-fi movie ever made? No words can describe how awesome that is.
Posts: 1 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
*whew* I feel much better now because I tried, I gave it a good effort, I starting from the pilot and marched forth, and I could not find anything attractive about Buffy the Vampire Slayer, but I did adore Firefly.
Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
Told ya so. [Wink]
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
The only reason I liked Buffy is because I started on the 5th season. My friend tried showing me the first season and I thought it was awful, but then on a whim we checked out the fifth season and I was hooked!
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
How freaking awesome is it that my favorite author on the planet thinks that my current favorite movie on the planet, made by my favorite genius geek on the planet, is the best sci-fi movie ever made? No words can describe how awesome that is.
True DAT!!!
Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Serenity was tied yesterday with History of Violence, which I believe is playing on half as many screens.

That certainly isn't good.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Treason
Member # 7587

- posted      Profile for Treason   Email Treason         Edit/Delete Post 
*****Spoilers for those just watching the Buffy show now*****

I can't stand Buffy or Angel, though I did see one episode of Buffy that ripped my heart out. (I've seen about 4 episodes total, I tried to give it a chance) I was flipping channels and just happened to stop upon the episode where Buffy's mom died. Oh, man was that powerful. Still don't like the show.
?

Posts: 870 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Humean316
Member # 8175

- posted      Profile for Humean316   Email Humean316         Edit/Delete Post 
I checked out Buffy for two reasons: I saw a few repeats on FX and got hooked, and I like SMG. Whats worse I guess, is that while there are those who tried to get me to enjoy firefly, I cant. I find it dull and fails where I think Buffy and Angel succeed.
Posts: 457 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
When we went to see it yesterday the theater was sold out and we had to go to a later showing. That's promising, right?
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

I saw the Friday 1:20 showing and it was a small theatre about half full, but that's not bad for a middle of the day showing.
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
Diane and I just bought our tickets for a 4 pm showing. I noticed when I did a search for theaters there aren't all that many playing "Serenity" here in the Chicago area.

Fortunately for us, one of the ones that "Serenity" is at is near home.

I 'spect I'll be opening the spoiler thread(s?) tonight. [Smile]

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged
Member # 7476

- posted      Profile for Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged   Email Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll be honest, the whole cult thing it a big turnoff. I'm a huge Sci fi fan bt the idea of becoming a "Browncoat" is a negative in my eyes. I have no doubt that the film will be huge in DVD. Maybe the next movie should just be a straight to DVD feature. Look how well the Family Guy movie did this week, coming in at number two in DVD sales.
quote:
Serenity doesn't fair so well in its second weekend as it falls a very hard 59.9% from last Friday. It's doubtful the weekend decline will go under 50%, so figure around $4.5 million for the Joss Whedon film.

Box Office Prophets
Posts: 796 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

I'll be honest, the whole cult thing it a big turnoff. I'm a huge Sci fi fan bt the idea of becoming a "Browncoat" is a negative in my eyes.

Have you seen the film?
Look. Serenity is, hands-down, one of the best sci-fi movies ever made. Orson Scott Card and I agree on this. Just about the only other things we've ever agreed on were nationalized health care and the fact that Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell deserved the Hugo.

Neither of us are Browncoats. We're both highly discerning and reflexively critical people. And we both liked this film.

If you haven't seen it, see it. And then complain about all the weird Browncoats.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

I've just spent the last 8 hours with a bunch of high school students. I'm totally exhausted.

But, I'm going to drag my butt out to see this movie tonight (for the 4th time in less than a week!) because a) I'm one of the fans that turns wowbagger off, b) being such a fan makes me want the movie to succeed. I want it BADLY. and c) the movie is damn good. I'll never get sick of it.

So, to echo Tom, go see it. [Smile]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

People outside the crazed fan community are in general turned off by cult followings. Trekkies have a bad rep, as do rabid Star Wars fans, and now apparently Browncoats. And I'm all three.

Personally I don't understand why a huge fan base is a turn off. You'd think if 4 million people were that excited about something, that maybe, just MAYBE, there might be something to it. Something that popular should be a reason to look into something, not to ignore it. It was a great film, though I still think everyone who sees it needs to see the show before going to see the movie. They'll see a much better movie if they do.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

And I'm all three.

Personally I don't understand why a huge fan base is a turn off.

Well, yeah, of course you wouldn't. [Smile]

------

quote:

You'd think if 4 million people were that excited about something, that maybe, just MAYBE, there might be something to it.

The thing is, at least four million people were really, really excited about the Dukes of Hazzard. *shudder* I don't like living in this reality, but I think we need to face it.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Well, yeah, of course you wouldn't
What do you mean?

quote:
The thing is, at least four million people were really, really excited about the Dukes of Hazzard. *shudder* I don't like living in this reality, but I think we need to face it.
Haha, yeah, that's a good point. But the Browncoats weren't just on the sidelines saying "oh neat." They were the ones who got the movie MADE. I don't see any hardcore Hazzard fans out there pestering movie execs to get the movie or a sequel made.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

quote:

What do you mean?

Only that being a Trekkie, a Browncoat, and a rabid Star Wars fan might make you less able to understand why someone might be horrified by large, rabid fan bases. Or, looked at from the other direction, people who are horrified by large, rabid fan bases are unlikely to be Trekkies, Browncoats, or rabid Star Wars fans. [Smile] Mainly, it was a joke. *grin*
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

True enough.

It must only be a sci-fi phenomenon though. I'm also a rabid Tolkien fan, but the giant underground Tolkien fandom never turned off or scared away anyone from those movies, which is made obvious by the giant box office earnings.

I think Narnia will turn out much the same way.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

Narnia is in addition to being a geek movie a "Christian" and a "kids" movie. Unless it blows chunks, it should do very well.

"Serenity" is a geek movie that a) requires some basic intelligence from its audience and b) has a name that doesn't suggest that it's about cowboys in space.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
requires some basic intelligence from its audience
It does? When?
TomDavidson
Member # 124

Well, for one thing, apparently not everyone was able pick up on the fact that Zoe and Wash were married, or that Simon and Kaylee liked each other a lot. [Wink]

Now, that said, it's also the case that anyone with basic intelligence also probably stopped to wonder why someone able to transfer full-motion video over a comm wouldn't also be able to broadcast data, but we'll overlook that one. *grin*

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

lol.

I just assumed they didn't have the right hookup for it. Like maybe they left their A/V cables on a planet somewhere.

Edit to add:

You've seen the DVDs of Firefly before right Tom?

TomDavidson
Member # 124

Only the pilot, which Karen forced on me once. [Smile]
Theaca
Member # 8325

- posted      Profile for Theaca   Email Theaca         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember that day, Tom. [Smile] I wasn't impressed with the pilot then, although the series has grown on me since I started watching it on the sci fi channel. Loved the movie too.
Posts: 1014 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bean Counter
Member # 6001

- posted      Profile for Bean Counter           Edit/Delete Post 
I am sad to say that I was not able to contribute to the Gate for the movie, it was not out in Europe while I was on leave, and even worse I will be seeking a Bootleg copy at the Haji shop as soon as I get back, thus undermining the whole thing.

I am sorry but I cannot wait to watch it, maybe I can send one of you the price of a ticket and you can go see it again for me? I will make it two because I would surely see it twice!

BC

Posts: 1249 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

I'll make that sacrifice for you BC. I'll email you my address. [Wink] (kidding!)
Narnia
Member # 1071

http://www.showbizdata.com/dailybox.cfm

Shows Serenity at #7. It pulled in $2.3 million yesterday to make $16.6 million total.

Not bad I suppose. If we could hit $20 million by the end of today or even Thursday, that would be pretty good.

In other good news, the Serenity soundtrack is #1 on Amazon's soundtrack sellers and #16 in general. [Smile] The Firefly DVDs have been holding steady in the top 5 sellers for over a week now.

[ October 09, 2005, 01:56 PM: Message edited by: Narnia ]

Treason
Member # 7587

- posted      Profile for Treason   Email Treason         Edit/Delete Post 
BC, I'll be seeing it enough for 20 people, don't worry!
I have tickets for time #5 waiting for me when I fly back from Alabama today. (I'm at the airport now)
[Big Grin]

Posts: 870 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

I actually know a handful of people who intend to see it soon but are working through the DVD set first. I keep trying to tell them to see it NOW, but they're confident that the movie will keep. [Smile]
Narnia
Member # 1071

Well, it will keep if all of the new DVD owners go see it in the next couple weeks. [Smile]
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

People have a couple weeks to go see it. Let them watch the DVDs first.
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.