FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » A Feast For Crows *SPOILERS* (Page 2)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: A Feast For Crows *SPOILERS*
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
It was Lem, wearing the helmet he had taken. They talk about how it was bad luck for Lem to wear it, considering the two who had it before him, but Lem doesn't care, and keeps it.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Huh. But I thought the character is described in that chapter as "the Hound".
Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

In fact, I know it is.

Now I'm confused.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parsimony
Member # 8140

- posted      Profile for Parsimony           Edit/Delete Post 
It is called, "The Hound" from Brienne's point of view. It isn't really the hound though. She sees the helmet and is dazed from her fight, that's all. Just old Lem.

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 367 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Then they talk about it being Lem, and how he got the helmet.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parsimony
Member # 8140

I agree with a number of the theories here.

I think Sandor is still alive on the Island. Jaime is probably the volanqur that will kill Cersei. Dany has to be the younger, more beautiful queen.

I hadn't thought of Loras being unhurt, but that is a good theory. Wasn't it Waters who came back to report the injury to Cersei? The same Waters who later stole the new royal fleet? Hmmm.

What is Jaquen (assuming he is now Pate) up to? I can't quite figure it out.

Time for my crackpot theory. I think Merryweather (aka Cersei's new bed buddy) is the missing sand snake, referred to in the Captain of the Guards chapter. Anyone? I see no reason why she couldn't be, and Merryweather is definitely playing some sort of twisted game, one that seems to be very detrimental to Cersei, which is exactly what a sand snake would want. Maybe, maybe not, but I like it.

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 367 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

Ah. My bad.
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
*bump*

Any more folks done with it? [Smile]

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Jaime is probably the volanqur that will kill Cersei.

You're probably right. But I'd love to see it be Rickon. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Time for my crackpot theory. I think Merryweather (aka Cersei's new bed buddy) is the missing sand snake, referred to in the Captain of the Guards chapter. Anyone? I see no reason why she couldn't be, and Merryweather is definitely playing some sort of twisted game, one that seems to be very detrimental to Cersei, which is exactly what a sand snake would want. Maybe, maybe not, but I like it.
Personally, I think Sarella (the "missing" Sand Snake) is Alleras, the Sphinx of the Citadel.
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
If there's anything I've learned from the media, by the way, it's that you should never pick a false name that's just your real name written backwards.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Did you say something, Mot?
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

mosdivaD moT, you mean.... [Big Grin]
TomDavidson
Member # 124

The sad thing is that Mot Nosdivad sounds like a Star Wars character.
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
I noticed that about my name backwards as well: Llessur Nohud
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

If I used Belle and my last name I'd be Elleb Draw.

With my real first name I'm Nairda Draw.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

Negomi Srednuas

Sounds like a mouse's name.

Kwea
Member # 2199

trebor llirb
Kettricken
Member # 8436

- posted      Profile for Kettricken   Email Kettricken         Edit/Delete Post 
Assilem Deer
Posts: 169 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm quite sad about the state of my poor thread [Frown] .

Anyone have anything interesting to add about the book?

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

What's up with Littlefinger's plan? I mean, is he really planning on wedding Sansa to Robert's heir, or is there something else? I assumed Littlefinger wanted Sansa for himself, because she looks so much like Cat.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

I expect that he's planning on wedding Sansa to Robert's heir, then arranging for the death of that heir. Or perhaps -- as revenge -- simply impregnating her, making sure that his child winds up on the Iron Throne.
plaid
Member # 2393

OK, so, again, Dany's visions that she had in Quarth -- anyone recognize anything in AFFC that might match? (I reread the scene, but didn't notice anything myself...)
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

No, but I should re-read it to make sure.

The entire series, I mean. [Big Grin]

His Savageness
Member # 7428

- posted      Profile for His Savageness   Email His Savageness         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But isn't Lady Merryweather Myrish and not Dornish?

quote:
As for the Mountain, I assume that Quyburn has found a way to reanimate the dead. I wonder what he's got for a head at this point?
Actually, it was my understanding that the head sent to Dorne was that of the former High Septon that Cersei had killed, not the Mountain.

Speaking of which, it really ticks me off that both the Mountain and the Hound are still around. I hated both those characters and was quite happy at the end of ASOS when it looked like their respective time had come.

All in all, the book was, okay. Like other people mentioned, not that much actually happened. It seemed like GRRM could have easily covered the entire book in about five pages of flashbacks. Heck, cutting out gratuitous wanderings and sex alone would have reduced the book by about 2/3. I guess a lot of it just felt like padding to me, and what's even worse, unresolved padding.

Posts: 194 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

My books have gone to Antartica with Tony, so I can't help.

Not that I actually helped in the beginning.

Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
I loved it. However, I'm still not qualified to offer any good opinions on plot as I read it in a new-mother-no-sleep fog. I will say, though, that Jamie surprised me at the end. I think my favorite part was when he said near the middle of the book that Brienne was to be referred to by her name, after calling her "wench" all through the last book.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

I think it advanced a LOT of things, and set things up so a wonderful confrontation between Brianne and Jamie in a future book.

I liked it a lot. [Big Grin]

Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

- posted      Profile for Dan_Frank   Email Dan_Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But isn't Lady Merryweather Myrish and not Dornish?
She could take after her mother, who could easily be Myrish. Oberyn went just about everywhere... I wouldn't be surprised if he had a daughter by a Summer Islander, and I'm sure she wouldn't look very Dornish.

That said, Alleras is another intriguing idea.

I could do without the Mountain... although an invulnerable mindless Zombie Mountain would be pretty interesting. But Sandor Clegane is quite possibly the most interesting character in any of the books, and I would be really happy if he turned out to not be dead.

Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
I just finished -- whew. I read that fast.

I found myself skimming a lot (a bad habit i have) but i definitely was bored with the entire Iron Islands plot. Except the initial Drowning Men chapter. I just didn't care that much about characters that feel, to me, like they're being squeezed in at the end of the series.

But then, i don't actually know that Dance of Dragons is the last book...? is it, or is this going to be a long series?

Anyhow, i have to say I loved the Brienne chapters. I didn't really care much that nothing important happened. I just think she's such a cool lady.

Also, and i'm embarassed to admit this, but i definitely thought the man who had been posing as the Hound was Tyrion initially. Tyrion! I was so confused when Brienne made the comment about him losing his nose, i was so sure the only character it could be was him. And i was thinking i couldn't believe he'd gone so far off the deep end....and then they called him Rorge. *blushes*

There's no way Sansa is ever going to rule -- i think either she'll be killed later and Arya will be queen, or as is most likely, Dany will be. I don't understand why Arya didn't ask Samwell about Jon -- she knew he was from the Watch, wouldn't she want to hear news?

I really missed Tyrion. He's the only character whose viewpoint i really get into. He always seems to know exactly what's going on -- he's not innocent or ignorant or just plain mean. He's always seemingly completely in control of what goes on around him.

i enjoyed the book, but not as much as the others. I'll have to re-read the whole series now!

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ambyr
Member # 7616

- posted      Profile for ambyr           Edit/Delete Post 
There are three more books to go.
Posts: 650 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ser Bronn Stone
Member # 8759

- posted      Profile for Ser Bronn Stone   Email Ser Bronn Stone         Edit/Delete Post 
I attended three signings and one dinner with George when he was in the Bay Area. He plans to make it three more books, but is NOT committing to that firmly. If it is more, it is more.

I believe that Arya is TRYING to forget being of House Stark and trying to become nobody or Cat of the Canals or whoever.

I also believe I recall a mention of Sarella being in Oldtown, which is where Alleras is. I don't think there is any doubt there.

Posts: 38 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

Anyone know if GRRM is still planning on doing a 5-year jump ahead in the series?
ambyr
Member # 7616

- posted      Profile for ambyr           Edit/Delete Post 
He's not.
Posts: 650 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyDove
Member # 3000

- posted      Profile for LadyDove   Email LadyDove         Edit/Delete Post 
Thoughts so far:

quote:
What is Jaquen (assuming he is now Pate) up to? I can't quite figure it out.
Didn't Tyrion hire the faceless men to kill Dany? Now the maesters are after Dany too. Seems convenient.
I liked the Brienne chapters because I thought that they were the only ones that really gave us a feel for what was happening in the rest of Westeros. From her chapters, I got the idea that the small folk wouldn't follow a lion or a wolf. It makes me think that Dany would have plenty of public support from the people of Westeros.

I did wonder where the dream Brienne shared with Jaime would come into play.
Interesting that the One-Eyed Crow has the means to defeat Dany's dragons.

It seems obvious that some time must elapse between this and the last book. I think that Bran, Rickon and the Dragons have to have a chance to mature, because I expect that they will have a crucial role in defeating the Winter. I'm interested to see how GRRM will create an environment stable enough to last 5 years or so.
Nimeria seems to be kicking booty. I wonder if the remaining dire wolves will team-up again. And I wonder if Arya will begin to see through Nimeria's eyes while she's awake.

I don't see Sansa surviving because her wolf is dead. I agree that Little Finger will kill the heir to the Vale and marry Sansa after he's announced Sansa as a Stark. He only called her daughter to keep her close while his plans ripened.
Lady Merryweather has got to be a Tyrell spy. I think that she refused to bring her son to court in order to keep him from becoming anyone's pawn.
I don't think that Sandor is still alive because I don't think that he'd let his horse be gelded if he had any say over it. I also think that the Mountain is dead (didn't Cersie tell Quyban that she didn't want to hear him anymore?)
Sam is growing-up. He's finally got a real dilemma on his hands: love or honor? I liked Sam's chapters because they gave us more insight into the Targs and introduced us to the Summer Islanders, who I think will be important in the following books. (Summer vs Winter and all [Smile] )
I like X's theory for the most part. I'm not sure about Cersie being preggers, unless her pregnancy allows her to not be killed. My first thought was that she was drinking too much, not exercising, getting fat and losing her beauty. Her beauty was her only real power. Being ugly would surely torture her shallow self.

Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyDove
Member # 3000

I didn't quite get the significance of Jaime's mother's visit. (Not being able to easily bookmark a section and not knowing spellings are my only gripes with audio books vs books).

Can someone remind me why the visit was important?

Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

You mean his aunt?
It let us see a scheming Lannister who isn't entirely unlikeable, and set up that whole cliffhanger about his parentage.

LadyDove
Member # 3000

I don't think it's his aunt. I'm talkng about the scene with the beautiful woman that "he knew he should know". He asks if it's a dream and she says, in your dreams you always have two hands. Then he sees that he only has one hand.

I thought the woman was his mother.

Do you think the woman was his aunt in her younger days?

TomDavidson
Member # 124

Ah. No. [Smile] I didn't know which scene you meant.
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Personally given the path Arya is taking, I think she'll be turning all other schemes and plots and prophecies arse over teakettle when she finally builds up some steam.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It let us see a scheming Lannister who isn't entirely unlikeable, and set up that whole cliffhanger about his parentage.
About Jamie's parentage? I'm not recalling anything bringing his parentage into question. I'd been planning on rereading AFFC anyway, but it would seem that I missed something fairly major if this was brought up and I missed it. So, to sate my immediate curiosity, what's the story with Jamie's parentage?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyDove
Member # 3000

::borrowed a book::

The scene I was talking about is on pages 669-670.

It doesn't actually say that the woman is beautiful, but Jaime mistakes her for Cersei. The woman talks about unfulfilled dreams. She cries at the thought of Tywin's dreams of a son and daughter so "strong and brave and beautiful" that no one would laugh at them.

Parsimony
Member # 8140

One of my favorite parts of the book was when Jaime's aunt tells him that he is not Tywin's son, Tyrion is.

But then again, I just love Tyrion. I could be biased.

--ApostleRadio

Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
I certainly agree with that. I've thought many times while reading Tyrion's chapters, "If only he were a Stark!" I can't see Eddard or Catelyn Stark having stuck it to Tyrion so many times, engendering that much hatred.

Also with Tyrion's cleverness, maybe just maybe most of the Starks wouldn't be dead.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
So. The burning question that nobody has asked yet: Is a Brienne and Jaime hookup going to happen? [Smile]

Also, I cannot wait to see how Qyburn unleashes The Zombie That Rides. That would kick ass if Cersei made him part of the Kingsguard because she had no other viable champion to keep her alive. Heh. Just imagine, the perfect Kingsguard. Toally chaste and totally devoted to protecting the king or queen. [Smile]

Another question I have is why Tywin mortified and stunk so much at the funeral? They kind of hinted in one of the Arya/Cat chapters that a poison could cause that kind of mortification, but it's pretty clear that Tywin died from a crossbow bolt. Thoughts?

I'm glad to see that Sansa is finally growing some spine.

All in all, I loved AFFC. I didn't have any problems with it, really. Can't wait for the next installment.

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

I think it was just to show the mortality of everyone, and how low even the highest can fall.

I like Sansa, and I think she will impact things a lot, even if she dies to make it happen. No one but her really knows what Peter has done, and even she might not know all of it, but she is going to grow into more than his equal in the game of thrones, I think. Remember, the wolves are there to help them, but human endeavors are what will (or will not) save them. Sansa may not have her wolf, but in her world, one of poisonings and backstabbing politics, how well would a wolf really helped her? It would have made it IMPOSSIBLE for her to be disguised, really.

If she takes Littlefinger out (or neutralizes him somehow) she would be helping everyones cause, even if they didn't know the true extent of how much he had already done. [Big Grin]

Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

I am excited that Sansa is being tutored by Peter on how to be devious. [Smile]

You think taking *Littlefinger* out would be helping everyone's cause? Why? As far as I can tell, he's one of the stabilizing forces in the kingdom. I kind of have him situated in the 'good' camp, inasmuch as anyone in that series is one thing or another. I think if Littlefinger sat the Iron Throne, Westeros would prosper hugely. In fact, I can't think of a better king out of the current crop of characters in the world.

On an unrelated note, I wonder if they're ever going to reunite Arya and her wolf? The wolf is like this huge dangling plot thread that's been running around for almost four books now. I'm going to be pissed if GRRM just kills her wolf off parenthetically.

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

He killed Robert, arranged for Ned to be betrayed and killed, and killed Lysa.

Not a good guy, and most of the bad things that have happened to the kingdom have been his fault...either for participating in them, instagating them, or in faling to act aganst them.

Not a good guy, and he would be a horrible King, IMO.

Worse than Robert ever was, although the kingdom would have a bit more coin.... [Big Grin]

Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

quote:

He killed Robert,

I thought that was pretty much all Cersei.

quote:

arranged for Ned to be betrayed and killed,

He tried to warn Ned and get him to play the game correctly, but did that stiff-necked Stark listen? Oooooh, no.

quote:

and killed Lysa.

She needed killing. [Smile] You don't think that things are going to be much better in the Vale with her gone?
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

Good night. [Sleep]
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.