FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Is Anyone still playing Kingdom of Loathing? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Is Anyone still playing Kingdom of Loathing?
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
Bringing this up again because the clan is mostly inactive. Besides my main character, only the characters pajeba and pogojoe are active. I took my alt characters out of the clan to avoid the charge of multiabuse.

So, if anyone is interested in playing, visit www.kingdomofloathing.com and sign up. When you are level 3 or above, you can join a clan. Our clan is chapeaustand.

They have added lots of new content - some is very time-consuming because you have to do certain things that take a lot of adventures, but all in all, it makes it more interesting. The latest update they are talking about is a new area (Hobopolis) opened up through the clan. The adventures will take a lot of money and adventures for one person, but take less time if people in the clan work together.

Snippet from Coldfront. Full transcript on Forums of Loathing.

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to play, a few years ago. I even beat the witch once, but I didn't feel like playing through it again. Maybe I should start a new character.
Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
I went to check if my character still exists, but I don't remember what my name was.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Human
Member # 2985

- posted      Profile for Human   Email Human         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm TheGayAgenda, TheNinjaBear and HarryDresden (Ascended Seal Clubber, Ascended Disco Bandit and Sauceror, respectively).
Posts: 3658 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dean
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for dean   Email dean         Edit/Delete Post 
I just joined. I'm Dande_Lion. When I'm level three, I'll probably apply.
Posts: 1751 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

dkw, you are Dana on KoL. Your character is inactive, but still in the clan.

Human: your characters are currently in clans, so I didn't whitelist them.

dean: I whitelisted your character (you can apply and be accepted right away). You will be a "normal" member at first, until I can change permissions. Normal members don't have access to the class stash, I think, but you can play around in the clan rumpus room.

One of my alt characters (Choxie) can be available for someone who would like a bit of a head start. It's currently in another clan, but I can take it out. It's a female seal clubber at the moment, I believe. The bonus about this character (created for a daughter who then decided she didn't care to play) is that is has a green pixie. Familiars aren't transferable, so if someone takes this, they get a freebie (for those unfamiliar with the game, for $10 you can get a Mr. Accessory which can be traded for a special item/familiar which changes monthly).

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dean
Member # 167

I'm in. I put some stuff in the Clan Closet. =D
Posts: 1751 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
I miss this! I'll go rummaging. Thanks for the update.

---

PS: Reactivated Coeffriction, Dekappe, and Minxaloo. I've forgotten the password for CreamLover, but I'll look for it.

If anyone wants to play with one of these further-along characters (~level 15?), I'll happily share. I'm starting afresh with BisonGirl.

Also, I have a Mr. Accessory that I'm happy to pass around. If you keep one overnight, it will prevent your account from being deleted for inactivity.

[ May 11, 2008, 11:32 AM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

quote:
Originally posted by CaySedai:
I took my alt characters out of the clan to avoid the charge of multiabuse.

I was worried the policy may have changed, but as all of my accounts are at the same level, I think that it's okay. Let me know if this causes a concern for anyone or the clan as a whole (and again, happy to share).

Here's the relevant snippet from the policies:
quote:
4. Don't abuse multiple accounts.

This is a tricky one. It's not against the rules to have more than one character per household, or per computer, or even per person. What is against the rules, however, is to have a bunch of extra characters that act as item or Meat farmers for your main character.
Here's a yardstick: If your main character is accumulating wealth or advancing at a rate faster than would be possible without multis, then you're more than likely in violation of this rule.

If you're abusing multis, and your behavior is noticed, all accounts other than what appears to be your primary will be disabled. If you make a bunch more multis and start doing it again, or if the first abuse we notice is really annoying or egregious, your primary account will be disabled.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought I could change titles, but it doesn't look like it. Though I did buy everyone a few buffs.

For some reason, once the new NS came into play, I've completely lost interest. Though it's still in my bookmarks, calling to me...

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dean
Member # 167

There are some things I don't understand yet, and it didn't seem the like the forums were the place to ask total newb stuff, so I thought I'd ask y'all. When do you get more adventures? What's an ascension? What other stuff should I know about?
EP Kaplan
Member # 10855

- posted      Profile for EP Kaplan   Email EP Kaplan         Edit/Delete Post 
You get fresh adventures at rollover, which is around 23:30 EST. 40 turns is the baseline, more if you have items that grant extra adventures at rollover. For instance, many clans have a calendar, which grants a few. Having a watch of some sort equipped will grant extra turns, or some weapons, such as the Sword Behind Inappropriate Prepositions. These items only need to be worn at rollover. Food and drink, as well as some other things, grant more turns when consumed, but you can only use so many per day.
If you're nice, the forumers will be more than happy to help.
Also check out the KOLWiki.
My character is Mialith, btw.

Oh, and if you have a Mr. Accessory, or just about any item from Mr. Store, you won't get deleted.

Posts: 16 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dean
Member # 167

Thanks! That helps a lot! I guess I used up all of yesterdays turns and todays turns at once because I played both before and after the rollover. =D I want to play more now.... But I don't have any adventures.
Shawshank
Member # 8453

- posted      Profile for Shawshank   Email Shawshank         Edit/Delete Post 
I won't be joining you guys- I'm in a little clan with my friends at school and there's only like 10 of us.

Other ways of getting more adventures- the meat maid. Combine the spring and sprocket to get a sprocket assembly, then combine the sprocket assembly with a cog to get a cog and sprocket assembly. Combine a meat tank with a stack of meat to get a full meat tank- combine meat tank with cog and sprocket assembly to get the meat engine. Combine the meat engine with the frilly skirt to get the meat maid body. Then smart skull with a disembodied brain to get a brainy skull. Combine that with the maiden wig to get the meat maid head. Combine the meat maid body with the meat maid head to get the meat maid. Use from inventory gives an extra 4 adventures a day.

Wow- that takes a lot to type- it really is a pretty fast thing to do- you can get almost all of that from the Degrassi Knoll.

I'm pretty pumped I should finally be able to finish my level 11 quest tonight (the search for the Holy MacGuffin).

You kids have fun KoLing!

Posts: 980 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

dean, you can create more than one character and play them at the same time, so long as your other characters aren't there just to mine for items for the main character.

---

Edited to add: In case this wasn't clear, you have to be of a certain level before you can join a clan (I think). Once you can, you should consider joining chapeaustand (Hatrack) -- lots of good stuff available for you there.

Shawshank
Member # 8453

- posted      Profile for Shawshank   Email Shawshank         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I decided to join with my alt (close to my Hatrack handle)
Posts: 980 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

You're in.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xann.
Member # 11482

- posted      Profile for Xann.   Email Xann.         Edit/Delete Post 
May i ask, what is it you do in this game?
Posts: 549 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

Normal members don't have access to the clan stash. I've modified our two new members to Fedora status, which means unlimited stash access. We pretty much trust Hatrack people.

My line of thinking on the multi thing was this: I didn't want them to think that my alt characters were benefiting from being in the same clan as my main character - especially since I'm currently clan leader. I donate to the clan from all three characters, two characters take stuff from the stash. So, I took them out. I can bring one or more back and just be really careful - or even explain to #6 and see if it's okay.

Oh, and a suggestion I found elsewhere: instead of donating meat to the clan, donate dense meat stacks. Meat directly donated isn't usable for anything else. Dense meat stacks are liquid funds, so to speak. Please don't take more dense meat stacks than you reasonably need. (Need some meat to get a skill or weapon or something, ok. Trying to save up for a Mr. A in the mall? not ok.) Some clans will boot you instantly for taking one dense meat stack - don't worry about that. Just be reasonable.

The KoL wiki has much information on how to play the game. Take a category like location: you will see all possible enemies at that location, with combat messages and what types of things they drop. Sometimes I play with KoL open in one tab and the wiki open in another.

There are also forums within the clan, which haven't been active, but we can check them. If you have questions or need help, Dana and CaySedai are the top two people in the clan, and sarcasticmuppet has some powers as well.

One more thing: there are several special items that can be constructed such as meat maids, bartenders-in-the-boxes and chefs-in-the-boxes, and Ninja Pirate Zombie Robots. I had offered awhile ago to help make sure everyone gets a NPZR. I'm a pastamancer right now and don't have access to the right zone, but we can figure something out.

CaySedai
Member # 6459

Xann: I suggest you look at the wiki. It's got a lot of explanations and shows what the pages actually look like.

Short version: Web-based stick-figure adventure game with lots of pop culture references and sarcasm. Your aim is to defeat the Naughty Sorcerous and free King Ralph. There are many quests - both required and optional. When you free King Ralph, you can ascend and start over, but you can keep one skill you acquired during that run. When you ascend you can choose between difficulties to play: hardcore, normal, casual. Hardcore, you can only use skills you acquired in hardcore. Normal, you can use skills you acquired in hardcore and normal. Casual, you don't keep any skills, but don't go through ronin phase.

This wiki page explains a lot about that. My main character mostly plays hardcore so I can use my skills in whatever case. My alts play normal.

Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
I applied to the clan as cyber2k4...don't know why I picked that for a name, though.
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

Preferred procedure (my preference) is that when you apply to the clan, notify me (or Dana or sarcasticmuppet) either by posting here, by Kmail (in game), by e-mail outside the game or even smoke signals. What I'm looking for is to know that people joining the clan are either from Hatrack or or recommended by someone from Hatrack.

Oh, and since the Google ad is for KoL items listed on eBay, here's a word of advice. You can donate in-game to Asymmetric Publications - $10 gets you a Mr. Accessory, which has many benefits. I don't recommend buying virtual items through eBay.

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

BisonGirl applies for membership, please. [Smile]

I can, um, vouch for, uh, my friend.

sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
done. [Smile]
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
just_me
Member # 3302

- posted      Profile for just_me           Edit/Delete Post 
I think I may dust off my KOL characters too - scaryhat and scaryhat2 (how creative, huh). I'd like to join chapeaustand...

-Me

Posts: 409 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

I'm back on the Wagon. Sarcasticmuppet the level 12 Ox Wrestler.
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
Totoro has just applied to the clan.
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

Welcome to the clan.
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

I have used up some food and cocktails from the clan stash, but I'll spend tomorrow making stuff to replace them. I still have to learn the intricacies of pastamaking, special cocktail crafting, etc. It's time.
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

As I learn, I'm refilling the clan stash and will try to update here. Spices and MSG seem to be the limiting factors for chow mein.

Also will be adding drinks.

---
Edited to add: I'm listing so that our newer folk can go directly to the higher-level food and drinks as more bang for the buck. I find it hard to search through the whole stash, even when I know kind of what I'd be looking for.
---

Please enjoy for your adventuring pleasure:

Knob sausage chow mein
bat wing chow mein
tofu chow mein
pr0n chow mein

pr0n m4nic0tti
ravioli della hippy

mushroom pizza
sausage pizza
goat cheese pizza

tofu casserole
ghuol egg quiches

chorizo taco

white Canadians
dry martini
whiskey sour
lumbering jack
tequila sunrise
salty dog
screwdriver
margarita
wine spritzers
tequila with training wheels
strawberry wine
whiskey and soda
whiskey and cola
monkey wrench
vodka and cranberry
redrum
strawberry wine
strawberry daquiri

[ May 21, 2008, 02:36 PM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

EP Kaplan
Member # 10855

- posted      Profile for EP Kaplan   Email EP Kaplan         Edit/Delete Post 
The "best" non unique foods in the game are made with the level 15 Pastamancer skill at the Wok of Ages, which can be accessed by any Mysticality class at the guild. You need dry noodles, MSG (makes stuff good!), and your base dish. And an adventure to spend kicking the food up a notch.

http://tinyurl.com/6h5t5q
Handy list of the best nosh, turn-wise.

In other news, a list of OSC references:

The Giant's drink makes an appearance in the Strange Leaflet world.

Insult Beer Pong references the Monkey Island duel Card wrote.

During the level 12 War, a hippy is shown an Escher drawing and tries to figure out "which way is down".

Posts: 16 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

I am 16th level Pastamancer with all skills offered by my guild to this point (including Transcendental noodlecraft), but when I try to use nuggets, the wok tells me I don't have the skills to do that. Why?
CaySedai
Member # 6459

Check the KoL wiki to see how to do the dishes. I looked but at 2:30 a.m. my brain cells are not comprehending much.
http://kol.coldfront.net/thekolwiki/index.php/Main_Page

Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to play again. My character is Amoni.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

Amoni is in and privileged.
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Turns out the "mein" dishes (start out with nuggets) all require the chef to be of the Sauceror class. I didn't know what the saucepan icon was for.

Er, Anomie the Sauceror will apply shortly.

Y'all feel free to tackle the Knob chow meins and the pr0n manacotti in the Clan Hoard.

Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
I suppose that I'll give it a go again. I'm applying under the name "mathmavin".
Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

mathmavin (and Amonie) admitted and given privileges.
dean
Member # 167

Could my friend and roommate join chapeaustand? His user name is Lolewhin. He just started playing because I laughed so hard at the scripts.
CaySedai
Member # 6459

dean, I'll allow people vouched for by Jatraqueros. I just worry about letting in people completely unknown to the group. Have your friend apply.
dean
Member # 167

Thanks so much. I just showed him how to join the clan. =D
CaySedai
Member # 6459

Does anyone know "Yawn" on KoL? This character was created June 1 and applied to the clan.
Shigosei
Member # 3831

It's me.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

Yawn is in. I didn't see your original message to me in-game.
Shigosei
Member # 3831

Hobopolis is up! I've done some adventuring in the sewers, and it looks like doing so expands the available territory to explore. I'm interested to know what other people see -- do you see several areas available to click on in the sewers? Also, I'm locked in a cage in the basement. I can chew through the bars, but it will take 10 adventures. It looks like one of you may be able to let me out. I'll wait until later this evening to get myself out, because I'm interested to see what it'll look like to another player.
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Between this thread and my neighbor, I started playing this many months ago. I figure it's time to join a clan - this "Hobopolis" thing seems interesting. I'll be applying under the name "osc630" - shall I send a message as well?
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dean
Member # 167

Odd that this thread has been bumped. I was just coming to ask if anyone's been doing the old guy and the ocean stuff. I ask because the KOL wiki says that certain drops happen about 20% of the time, but although I've spent severals days worth of adventures there, I've never seen anything drop. Is this a problem or am I doing something wrong?
dkw
Member # 3264

Carrie, you're in.
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Woo! (Even though it looks like Hobopolis is closed...)

Still. Extra adventures are nice. [Smile]

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

Just got an application from Lolewhin. Anyone know him/her?
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.