FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Is Anyone still playing Kingdom of Loathing? (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Is Anyone still playing Kingdom of Loathing?
dean
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for dean   Email dean         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh sorry! My boyfriend. Would you let him in please?

I just had my first ascension. Hardcore is hard!

Posts: 1751 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
Thread resurrection! (well, technically thread revival, since I'm sure it will die again ... )

Some recent changes to KoL: Ascension has some new stuff. When you ascend, you get karma to spend and you can decide what to spend it on. You can now hard-core perm skills you had previously permed in soft-core. To hard-core perm a skill takes 100 karma, but you can split it and hard-core perm two skills you had previously permed in soft-core. You do get more karma for playing hard core.

There is a special challenge path this summer called Bees Hate You. You can't use from inventory many items that have the letter B. You can't eat items with the letter B, but you can equip them. Equipment that has the letter B will hurt you during battle. Certain items that are required to complete quests can be used, but you get hit when you use them. Every 15-20 adventures you fight a bee enemy. When you go to defeat the Naughty Sorceress, the third incarnation is the Guy Made of Bees. There's some more differences, but they are explained in the wiki entry. There will be extra karma for people playing this challenge.

Some changes since the last post on this thread: Deep Fat Friars' Gate has more content and adventures. Some other locations have been a bit revamped (Cobb's Knob, for example, the Cake-Shaped Arena gives familiar equipment every 5 turns now). Some things have moved - Bounty Hunter is in the Forest Village, Uncle P's is on the wrong side of the tracks).

Our clan is chapeaustand. We have three active members currently, and two of them are me. I thought I would invite people to start playing or resume playing if they want to participate in Bees Hate You or just see what is new.

For those wanting to join the clan, post your KoL nick here and I'll whitelist you. The clan doesn't do a whole lot, but there is a nice stash that is available for people (just don't clean it out - we've never had a problem with that).

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
happymann
Member # 9559

- posted      Profile for happymann   Email happymann         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to join your clan. My KoL nick is Duling.
Posts: 258 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Whitelisted.
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

Thanks, sarmup.
Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I pop in and out of the clan, I'm definitely still active. [Smile] Mostly I leave to interact with people in chat, or to be part of dungeon runs (though I've been ascending like crazy).

I should also point out that Bees Hate You is a surprising amount of fun, except for the Island War.

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I just joined up again after not playing for years. My nickname is RiverSong. I just applied to the clan.
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

RiverSong is in.
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
<------tammmy
Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

tammmy is in
CaySedai
Member # 6459

They had some server issues Monday and Tuesday, and after moving data to new servers, have instituted a (temporary) new zone: a pile of old servers. They drop two items - corrupted data (you can get a new tattoo, just keep watching the message when you use it) and squirming egg sacs. The corrupted data effect makes your stat numbers go up and down on every adventure.

This is most likely a short-term thing, so if you want to get in on it, move quickly. I didn't read the announcements when I started playing after rollover, and used all my adventures and now my character is drunk. I played it on a multi, though, and did get the tattoo.

Tammy
Member # 4119

Thanks!

Man, I gave everything away, practically, last time I decided I was done.

Now I don't have any pants, not to mention a decent shirt. [Smile]

Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

Do you have clan karma? I can change it so you can pull stuff from the clan stash.
Tammy
Member # 4119

That's okay. Thanks CaySedai! I'll just go back and "earn" me some britches. [Smile]
CaySedai
Member # 6459

I changed the settings - I think you can just take stuff ...

If it says "You are exempt from your Clan's Karma requirements." then you can take what you want. I go under the assumption that Hatrack people are moral enough not to clean out the clan stash. [Wink]

Tammy
Member # 4119

Thanks! [Smile]
CaySedai
Member # 6459

I really recommend the Pile of Old Servers. My main character ascended last night, and I leveled up to 6 on just the 40 turns plus what I could eat and drink at various levels. In the first 4 turns, I leveled up to 3. So it's really good at the early levels. Now I'll go do the quests.

And I got the tattoo from using the corrupted data. People are saying on the forums that they use anywhere from 1-30+, so it's really random how many you have to use.

Also - squirming egg sacs? No idea yet what those will do.

Tammy
Member # 4119

Don't understand how you can get a tattoo from drinking the corrupted data potion.
CaySedai
Member # 6459

I think it's like an effect - if you take it enough, you get the tattoo. It's not like an outfit where you go to the pretentious artist.

Although ... I still haven't figured out how to view my tattoos. I'll look it up later.

Tammy
Member # 4119

Got it! thanks!
Carrie
Member # 394

Tattoos are in the "Options" menu in the top pane - from there, you go to "Account" on the left side, and "Manage/View your Tattoos."
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

Thanks, Carrie.
CaySedai
Member # 6459

Just an update for those still playing. The Bees Hate You challenge path ends Aug. 15. So I think you have to ascend before rollover Aug. 15 or Aug. 14, I'm not sure. I know you have to ascend before the new path starts, though, or you don't get the extra karma.

So if you are playing a BHY challenge path, keep an eye on the date. I started a hardcore BHY eight days ago, knowing it will be close. I'm at level 10, but the last three levels take a lot of turns. If it comes down to the wire, I'll drop BHY and keep hardcore, though.

Carrie
Member # 394

They're actually keeping the BHY path around, just without the extra karma reward (which will then be transferred to the new seasonal challenge).

I actually really like BHY as a challenge, and may even do a run or two without the extra reward. Maybe. I do like perming skills faster... [Wink] I should be able to squeeze in one last BHY run before mid-month, so I'm super-pumped about it. And who knows how awesome the next challenge path will be?

CaySedai
Member # 6459

There's lots of speculation on the KoL forums, of course. I will be busy concentrating on getting this last HCBHY run done. I don't like the challenge enough to do it without the reward. [Wink]

I've got three characters to play, as well, so I get plenty of KoL time. One character hasn't done a BHY run, but I doubt I'll have time to get one in before the end. That one doesn't have as many skills and is slower because of that.

CaySedai
Member # 6459

Update posted on the KoL forums on Sunday, from CDMoyer:

quote:
Ok. I just wrote the code so that if you ascend into a run before the new challenge rolls, you'll get the karma bonus when you ascend (even if that is no longer the active challenge.) And made sure that the leaderboards will cut off runs that are not finished with the challenge is active.
So, if you are still in a BHY run when it switches to the new challenge, you can still get the karma but it won't count for the leaderboards. I don't care about the leaderboards, but I was concerned enough about the karma to finish my HCBHY run as quickly as possible and I'm working on a normal no path run now.
CaySedai
Member # 6459

If you get an email with the subject New version of "Kingdom of Loathing", don't click on the link. It's a phishing attack and the Asymetric team is working on it.

People in the forums are talking about it and the consensus is change your password, and if you use that password anywhere else, change that one too.

Which I did, and now have to remember which password for which account ... I've got three.

Tammy
Member # 4119

Yep, find this out after I click on it.
CaySedai
Member # 6459

Sorry. I had thought about putting an announcement in the clan hall - and I guess I'll still do that, but they did put something up on the main page when you log in.

If you go to the KoL forums, several people have posted ways to get rid of the virus if you got it. The bogus website has been taken down, now, they say.

CaySedai
Member # 6459

There's a new thing in the clan basement - a pile of flyers that take you to the Haunted Sorority House. Right now it's at the boss, and I've asked someone to take the boss out. I will start a new one on Monday, and everyone is invited to play there. (I will post an announcement when this has happened, so you can see it when you go to the clan hall.

You want to be probably at least level 8 or higher - I played my level 7 multi in another clan and got beaten up. It's St. Sneaky Pete's day, so right now my multi is drunk and can't do adventures again until after rollover.

Advice: I'm playing a Way of the Surprising Fist run and found that drunken baby style is great for everything except ghosts, which can be dealt with using stinkpalm (usually). There are choice adventures that give you items you can use to multikill each type of monster. Visit the KoL wiki for more information.

This Halloween dungeon is going to be gone after rollover on Halloween, so if you are going to try it, start tomorrow after I post the announcement. The boss loot is only distributable to people who have had adventures in the dungeon. (If I have to have someone kill the boss again, they will get some of the loot.)

Edited to add: Looks like one more day. The person I asked to kill the boss wants his friend to do it, but didn't give me the name so I could whitelist him. So if the boss isn't killed I will go ahead and close the Haunted Sorority House by noon (central U.S. time) tomorrow and start a new one.

Edited (again) to add: No, I haven't closed the House yet. Yes, if the boss killer hasn't shown up today, I will do so before rollover. I really want to get in there with my main character, and also let other people have a chance.

There is speculation in the forums that the items drops from regular monsters (zombies, ghosts, etc.) will suffice for Halloween costumes. I guess we'll know on Monday.

[ October 25, 2011, 11:23 AM: Message edited by: CaySedai ]

CaySedai
Member # 6459

The new haunted sorority house is open. I distributed the Necrobromancer's stein to Totoro, who had more adventures than anyone except my multi, Gytha Ogg. I'm going to play there with my main character (CaySedai, of course) now, which I would have done in the first place except I was overdrunk when I found out about it. Anyway, we can all play there again and if we get more loot next time, maybe I can distribute it better.
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
[Cool] Thanks for the stein.
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

You're welcome. You had exactly twice as many adventures as the next person (except my multi). That is to say, two, as opposed to one. Next time we'll see how it goes.

Chatter on the forums indicates that people think that with increased monster level, more stuff drops. So I might try that, which will of course make it harder, but maybe we'll get more stuff.

Also, the more people who play there, the faster it will be, so possibly we could do two more runs (including this one)? The problem being that the outfit has three pieces, can only be given to someone who has participated in the dungeon and is non-tradeable. So it doesn't look like any of us will get the whole outfit unless we do two more runs and everyone agrees to give the pieces to Derrell (Totoro) if we get different parts of the outfit.

My main character has the plastic vampire fangs, which does exactly one multi-kill on vampires per instance of the dungeon. If anyone else has the fangs, please participate to cut down the adventures.

Also, if you are in a fistcore run (Way of the Surprising Fist challenge path), use drunken baby style on everything except the ghosts (remember to drink first but not overdrink) and stinkpalm on the ghosts. If not in fistcore, use whatever you use on the ancient protector spirits in the hidden city for the ghosts, and whatever you find works best for the other types.

Reference the wiki for how to get the items that do multi-kills, such as ghost traps, and keep track of your stuff so you know when you can multi-kill each type (some are through choice adventures, so you want to be sure what you have when you make the choice to go one way or the other). You can convert certain silver items such as Maxwell's silver hammer into silver bullets for the werewolves, for example.

Also, KoLmafia is updated to include this dungeon, in case anyone is using it. I recently started and am finding it very useful.

CaySedai
Member # 6459

Today is 11/11/11. It's ridiculous, it's not even funny.

When you log into KoL today, you receive one accessory that gives +11 stat (muscle or mysticality or moxie) and 11 sandwiches or cocktails. The sandwiches give 3 fullness each, so don't be like me and eat the sandwiches on a day when you are close to ascending, so you can't eat key lime pies. (facepalm) (adds one more day to this run, but I'll get to start another Way of the Surprising Fist run before the new challenge path starts on Monday).

And ... the new challenge path starts on Monday. People are speculating that it will be a type 2 path, something like you can only use a certain number of skills and/or Items of the Month from the last one/two year(s). It's suppposed to a) make a more level playing field and b) be less of a challenge going into Crimbo.

If you haven't played in awhile, they don't delete inactive accounts as of Feb. 2009. I have been marking inactive clan members as Fedora rank and active members at Stetson rank, just so they will be grouped. The ranks are nearly identical as far as privileges.

Also, the Haunted Sorority House is no more and the loot is distributed.

CaySedai
Member # 6459

I'd like to remind people that it's Crimbo time. This year the Advent Calendar at your campsite gives you access to a candy diorama with a lollipop forest, fudge mountain and gummi mine.
CaySedai
Member # 6459

Crimbotown is back. You can trade in candy for candy credits, which you spend at the toy factory to buy presents for other people.

I have sent presents(the familiar and the more expensive of the two games, as well as pogs, Uncle Greenspan's Bathroom Finance Guide and a bottle of bubbles - the last three are stocking stuffers) to the other four people in our clan who are active.

You can send presents to specific people or "to the needy," which is random among those who are sending gifts.

Also, if anyone wants to grab candy out of the clan stash to trade in, that's fine. I have done so myself, to boost the amount to spend on clan members. The list of possible candy is available here: http://kol.coldfront.net/thekolwiki/index.php/Uncle_Crimbo%27s_Mobile_Home#Crimbo_2011. (I tried using the url code, but it didn't work.

happymann
Member # 9559

- posted      Profile for happymann   Email happymann         Edit/Delete Post 
All I would like to say is I won't be doing another Oxygenarian run anytime soon.
Posts: 258 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

There's a world event going on right now - fighting brushfires on the Nearby Plains. You have to have at least 3 hot resistance to fight, or it tells you to put on firefighting gear. There's all kinds of advice on the KOL forums, but one way is to fight using cold spells and/or cold items.

You get FDKOL commendations for successful fights (where you don't get beaten up or run away). We don't know what the commendations do yet.

In the Chapeaustand clan, I change clannies titles according to if they are active or inactive - just a way for me to see who's been playing and who hasn't. I don't think there's a real difference between fedora (inactive) and stetson (active) as far as clan permissions go. I'll check again tonight after rollover to see if anyone starts playing again.

There's a new thing where after 11 days (?) you can choose to abandon the current run and start a new ascension. I don't recommend it for this because you have to build up your character to fight fires, so it would probably be better to stay in the same run and just participate in the world event.

Also, I love the new challenge paths. Well, not so fond of all of them (Bees Hate You, Trendy), but liking the new ways to play. (You get extra karma for doing a challenge path when it's the current one.)

Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in a sauceror run on Bugbear Invasion. I haven't gone firefighting yet.
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

Hm, a world event may just draw me back in for a bit... [Wink]
CaySedai
Member # 6459

I hurried through a Boris run and changed to pastamancer after I freed the king. I use saucegeyser on the brushfires and gauze bandages or filthy poultices to heal. I'm getting 5 FDKOL commendations per fight.

There is a new thing now with a super-intense mega grassfire. It has grass snakes which don't take much hits from elemental spells, and I haven't figured out how to kill them. Other people say they drop items.

The world event is limited time, and people are speculating there's probably a week left.

CaySedai
Member # 6459

The item of the month is a Clan hot dog stand. There are a variety of benefits to eating hot dogs. I'm working on selling items to buy Mr Accessories to buy this (it requires 3 Mr A's). Clan VIP keys are also available for 1 Mr A. They are going for about 12,625,000 meat right now. The alternative is $10 per Mr A, but I don't want to spend $30 of real money for it. You have to have your own clan VIP key to enter the VIP lounge. We already have a fax machine but none of the other extra stuff. (VIP lounges already have the hot tub and deluxe claw machine.)

If you haven't played in a while, things have changed a lot in the last couple of years. Every time you ascend, you earn karma, which can be used to perm purchased skills. You earn more karma for going through a hardcore ascension, or for going through a challenge path. There are seasonal challenge paths, and you earn extra karma for going through them when they are in season. But they are fun to play at other times, too. The current seasonal challenge path is Big, where you start at level 15, but most of the monsters are higher level, too.

Anyone who is interested in playing but who is not currently a member of our clan can apply in-game. Please message me there, as well, with your Hatrack nick. CaySedai (#138983) I check the clan roster from time to time and change ranks so that active members are a higher rank (and move up to the top so I can see who is active).

[ July 16, 2013, 03:24 AM: Message edited by: CaySedai ]

CaySedai
Member # 6459

Update (in a separate reply because editing a comment does not bring the topic to the top, sorry about that):

I nearly have enough for the hot dog stand. I'm short about 2 million meat. I'm going to wait until during the day Tuesday to check again and if I have enough, I'll get it. Otherwise, I'm going to ascend and it will have to wait until I'm out of ronin or free King Ralph. I'm playing BIG! and actually did a four-day run last time. (my shortest run ever) I was thisclose to doing it sub-ronin, as well (ended up with 1,023 turns).

Anyway, my point is, if you have the VIP key, there will either be a hot dog stand on Tuesday or at least four days later, depending on when I get the final amount, purchase the third Mr. Accessory and then get the hot dog stand for the clan VIP lounge. Clan members are still responsible for getting their own keys to the lounge, which do cost a Mr. Accessory (which is currently selling for about 12,300,000 meat).

CaySedai
Member # 6459

And another update. I haven't bought the hot dog stand yet. I do have the meat, but skipped playing for a few days, so my character is still in ronin and can't access it.

However, they are talking about a new clan dungeon. (Transcript of the July 18 radio show) They suggested that people who hadn't played in a while should take a week to power-level. The current challenge path is BIG! which starts you out at Level 15, but most of the monsters are harder to fight. Maybe if you are playing BIG! and defeat the NS and free King Ralph, the monsters go back to normal, I'm not sure.

So, they said the new dungeon will have the same number of bosses, with a different structure, but not a main boss. There will be "Bunch of interactions, bunch of puzzles".

If you've played the Hobopolis dungeon, you have to fight your way through the sewers to get there. Once you are there, it has different zones that each have a boss to defeat, then you go on to defeat Hodgman. Only clan members who have participated (got through the sewers) can have a chance at the loot dropped by Hodgman. more at the KoLwiki

They said there isn't a main boss. I expect that only people who have participated in the dungeon in some way will be able to get the loot, though. If you don't want to go through the dungeon entirely, there are other clans that let people in to participate and get loot without necessarily having to fight a whole lot. If you choose that path, that's fine. I'll whitelist current members to be able to come and go as they please.

Sorry this is so long.

CaySedai
Member # 6459

Just posted on Facebook:

quote:
Remember that time we said we were working on a new clan dungeon? Well, we're all done now. You and your clannies are going on an all-expense-necessary trip to scenic Dreadsylvania! It's a spooky town in a creepy forest with a truly unnerving castle. Earn smooches! Figure out puzzles! Fight sleazy bugbears!
Thread on Forums of Loathing (spoilers)

Dreadsylvania is now open in the chapeaustand basement.

CaySedai
Member # 6459

I played through most of Dreadsylvania, except for two of the bosses. I am giving it a break for now in order to play the new challenge path - KoL High School. Once I've played that a couple times (or more) I'll do another BIG! run and take on Dreadsylvania again. Once I get the bosses out of the way, I'll reopen it so anyone can play. If anyone is interested.
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.