FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Stranger in a Strange Land (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Stranger in a Strange Land
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm reading this classic by Heinlein. [Smile]
It's another one of those books that's been on my shelf for years and years and I finally picked it up.
What a great read! Funny and philosophical. I'm about halfway through.
I assume a few of you guys and gals have read this...what do you think?

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mean Old Frisco
Member # 6666

- posted      Profile for Mean Old Frisco   Email Mean Old Frisco         Edit/Delete Post 
I keep waiting for one of those sex churches to open in my neighborhood. Definitely a religion I could sink my teeth into.
Posts: 270 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
LOL!
I grok you.

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
I really liked the first half of that book, but the second half didn't do as much for me for some reason.
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
grok
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Here you go.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bean Counter
Member # 6001

- posted      Profile for Bean Counter           Edit/Delete Post 
Like Castenada, this book was very influential in the Free love, Drug, Ohhming hippy movement... and like Castenada its point is as totally missed as that of Starship Troopers by most people.

Learning to Grok.. that is a discipline as high as learning higher math in five ancient human languages. Learning the Martian tounge was almost impossible for a human but once done the gift was a 'Map' to reality that opened many doors to perception and latent abilities.

In short Discipline begets Power. Yet people get bogged down in the Free Sharing aspect of it that is just an aspect of trivializing the possession aspect of love.

I wonder what you thought Temp when Jubal refered to Homosexuals and "Poor inbetweeners" and thought Micheal would "Grok Wrongness" in them?

BC

Posts: 1249 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I utterly disliked that book. The only good thing I gleaned from it was the word "grok".
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, since even Jubal learned better in the end.....

Funny how you think that what matters to YOU is serious but the main point to others is trivial.... [Wink]

I liked the book, but it was a little over the top for me.

However, since the last 2/3 of the book was about explaining what Grokking is, and explaining the communal lifestyle that allows humans to learn it, I wouldn't call that a trivial aspect of the book.

Also, Castanada was an idiot, and his books were suppose to be about teaching an actual, specific path to power.....SIASL isn't the same thing at all, for all of it's metaphysical bullshit. [Big Grin]

Yes, I have read both, BTW. [Wink]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

I liked the book, but it was a little over the top for me.

Most of Heinlein's novels are that way for me. I like a lot of his short stories, but I haven't found a book of his that I've been able to actually tolerate.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

I like his ideas, even when I don't agree with them, and some of them are very interesting reads, but I have always found him pretentious and over the top a bit.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

Have you tried The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, Tom? Podkayne of Mars? The original, of course. Any of the "Boy's Life" juveniles he wrote?

Btw, for those who like Heinlein's juveniles, I recommend John Varley's Red Thunder. Highly.

[ December 27, 2005, 02:54 PM: Message edited by: starLisa ]

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aiua
Member # 7825

- posted      Profile for aiua   Email aiua         Edit/Delete Post 
His portrayal of women is awful and, unfortunately, does not change from book to book.
Other than that, I loved it. Jubal rocks.

Posts: 1215 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I know at least one woman who would disagree . . .

-o-

I really liked Stranger when I read it. I read it several times, but it's been over fifteen years, and so I'm not certain if I would still enjoy it as much. I think it's almost better for me not to reread it, and remember the perhaps mythical Stranger of my memory. [Smile]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

I know at least one other woman who would disagree.
<----

kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
Me, too. Although I think that in most cases his women are idealized.

Stranger has some great stuff in it. I freely admit that Patty Paiwonski has had a deep effect on my own personal theology

[ December 27, 2005, 05:30 PM: Message edited by: kmbboots ]

Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
starLisa - Yay, Varley! The only book review I've been able to disguise as a column and sneak past was for "Red Thunder."
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Have you tried The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, Tom? Podkayne of Mars? The original, of course. Any of the "Boy's Life" juveniles he wrote?

Yep. And disliked all of 'em, really, as much as people tell me I shouldn't have. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Chris Bridges:
starLisa - Yay, Varley! The only book review I've been able to disguise as a column and sneak past was for "Red Thunder."

I love Varley. I've been reading him ever since "The Barbie Murders" came out. I've even read and reread the Titan trilogy (which caused me a lot of deja vu when Xena came around). Red Thunder was so different from his old stuff.
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

quote:
Learning to Grok.. that is a discipline as high as learning higher math in five ancient human languages. Learning the Martian tounge was almost impossible for a human but once done the gift was a 'Map' to reality that opened many doors to perception and latent abilities.
Interesting... reminds me of what was said of the Talon language in "Earth: Final Conflict".
Obviously they gave tribute to the Martian language. [Smile]

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Reading Hienlien is interesting because so many science fiction devices and cliches originated in his stories.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

Waldos, waterbeds and moving walkways.
Bean Counter
Member # 6001

Castenada an 'Idiot'? As untrue as calling Joseph Smith an 'Idiot' and probably tied to the same types of reasons people do just that.

Pick up a movie called "What the Bleep do we know" and see how many 'Idiots' are pitching the same snake oil with a new flavor.

The nest was uncomfortable for me for a couple reasons, I like a more cluttered and open life, I like the designs for the Long Household better.

Just remember that Hienlien's Cliches were not cliches when he wrote them. They have become so because they were so visionary.

BC

Posts: 1249 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

quote:

Pick up a movie called "What the Bleep do we know" and see how many 'Idiots' are pitching the same snake oil with a new flavor.

We are agreed, then, that it's "snake oil" we're talking about?
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
Waldos, waterbeds and moving walkways.
Alien parasites that infect us and then take over our nervous system infiltrate us and try to take over humanity.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I love love love that book.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the book, partly because it's the only example I can think of where one character expressed an extended point of view and another disagreed intelligently. I get really tired of Heinlein's "X is y, and anyone who thinks otherwise is an idiot!" "You're sure right about that! How could anyone not think x is y?" "Well, I just don't know. X is so clearly and implicitly y, it's beyond argument..." conversations.

But I do think the conversation about humor is an oversimplification.

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bean Counter
Member # 6001

All you need to do is give one counter example and you win the prize, we are all waiting!

BC

The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe this is why Tom and I don't get along. He hates Heinlein. =)
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

I don't HATE Heinlein. I just think he often engaged in self-indulgent wish fulfillment, and that his longer fiction -- especially novels -- was especially prone to this flaw. Moreover, he was NOT a character writer, and not even a political theorist (although he fancied himself both); he was an idea geek, and was at his best when basically ticking off, in simple language, a catalog of his ideas.
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Heinlein is SO arrogant and pretentious! I totally agree with that. But he's still good.

He said that people who don't understand higher math aren't really human, they may have been housebroken but they don't count as human beings.

Can anyone say that's not arrogant? [Big Grin]

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
"Waldos, waterbeds and moving walkways."

Did Heinlein think of all of these first? If so, in which books?

I just started reading Heinlein a couple days ago when I got books from him as presents. I'm reading Citizen of the Galaxy right now and I'm loving it.

Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Waldos in the novella Waldo.

Waterbeds may be from the same place. I did read somewhere that the guy who made the first real waterbed took out a patent for the concept--in Heinlein's name, since that's where he got the idea from.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
And moving walkways?
Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

"The Roads Must Roll," but freedictionary.com gives Wells credit for coming up with them first.
Icarus
Member # 3162

Science fiction inventions by Robert Heinlein

Includes phrases coined by him, such as astrogation, and lots of stuff that doesn't really exist yet.

Apparently waterbeds are from Stranger. Silly me.

Icarus
Member # 3162

This site gives Heinlein credit for imagining air dryers, cold-rest/cold-sleep, cyborgs (arguably Frankenstein was a cyborg, no? Maybe Heinlein coined the phrase?), CAD (in the form of Drafting Dan, from Door Into Summer), Eetee as a phrase for extraterrestrials, flying saucers (?), screen savers, photovoltaic cells used to power vehicles, traffic control cameras, the microwave, prepackaged microwave meals, and pocketphones.

Now, I don't know just how seriously to take all of that, but then, he was an idea man at the start of modern science fiction, so he was coming up with what the future would look like before anybody else except Asimov had a shot at it.

Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Bean Counter:
All you need to do is give one counter example and you win the prize, we are all waiting!

BC

Could you be more specific? I don't even know if you're referring to my post.
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay for Telpy! Stranger is one of those books I find myself re-reading at least once a year - it's part of my literary comfort food.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Ahhh....BC, YOU are the one trying to prove someone's ideas are worth learning...how about YOU provide an example?

As soon as you learn AP from those books let me know what I just wrote on this peice of paper in front of me and perhaps I will believe you.

On a completely different note, if Discipline and Power are what make you what you today perhaps I should be grateful for noticing it was snake oil when I read it. [Big Grin]

Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Icarus:
This site gives Heinlein credit for imagining air dryers, cold-rest/cold-sleep, cyborgs (arguably Frankenstein was a cyborg, no?

Did the monster have mechanical parts? I'm sure Frankenstein himself didn't.

quote:
Originally posted by Icarus:
Now, I don't know just how seriously to take all of that, but then, he was an idea man at the start of modern science fiction, so he was coming up with what the future would look like before anybody else except Asimov had a shot at it.

You should find a copy of Fred Pohl's The Way the Future Was. It's an amazing depiction of how the field got started. Heinlein may have been the first Grand Master, but he was far from the first guy in modern science fiction.

He did have some amazing ideas, though. I remember how shocked I was when he died. To this day, I have a sneaking suspicion that he's a Howard, and that he just faked his death...

kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't forget the description of Friday "surfing the net" - published in 1982.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
He said that people who don't understand higher math aren't really human, they may have been housebroken but they don't count as human beings.

Point of order: Heinlein did not say he believed that, one of his characters did (Lazurus Long). While Heinlein may have believed it, at least one writer -- and I'll remember his name eventually -- said that when he brought up his mathematical illiteracy because of that quote Heinlein reassured him he was still a fine person anyway [Smile]

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

I <heart> Friday.
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Me too Lisa.

Friday was the first Heinlein book I ever read. I really identified with her feelings of being less than human. And the fact that she was bi was amazing to me as I don't recall ever reading about a bisexual character before then.

Pix

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

I think Friday is an allegory, in a way. Certainly that's not all the book is, but it's also a pretty amazing allegory of the GLBT experience.

One day, you have friends and a home, and the next day, simply because someone finds something out about you, you lose everything and everyone.

There's another book that works as an allegory in the same way, by W.H.Thompson. It's called Sideshow. A mutation causes some people to be telepaths, and the government decides to label telepaths as ipso facto insane, and declares them wards of the state, with no rights. Just for being telepaths.

The Pixiest
Member # 1863

Exactly, Lisa. But more than that. She had become convinced that, since she was an AP, she wasn't human. Just a thing created in a lab.

The same way so many of us (including me, at the age I read Friday) became convinced that we weren't deserving of the happiness others got. Just because we're queer.

Pix

Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
That's an interesting side of Friday that I never saw before!

Chris, during the DOMWFF phase of Heinlein's career, there's always some dirty old man (Jubal, Lazurus Long, etc.) who spouts off diatribes (that seem to agree with those of all the other DOM) and has sex with lots of beautiful young women. I suppose I just made the leap to thinking those men each represent RAH himself, and the diatribes are his diatribes. Do you think that's not valid?

I'm glad to hear that he didn't try to tell someone to their face that they weren't a human being because they didn't understand higher math. I still would suspect that privately he believed in his diatribes, even if in a somewhat less exaggerated form. I wonder if he would have wanted his daughter to marry one, you know? [Smile]

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

I loved Friday at first. And then it rambled. And rambled. And rambled.

I look back on it now as an amazing character. And unmet potential. Too bad.

Icarus
Member # 3162

I think I've read The Way The Future Was. And I have read a lot of Golden Era scifi. I'm not saying that Heinlein was the only one there--just that he was one of the very best at a time when he was early enough to have thought of a lot of this stuff first.

I remember in one of my freshman math classes in college I came up with a very interesting theorem. I was quite pleased with myself, because I came up with it completely on my own. Unfortunately, some stupid guy had come up with it a couple hundred years ago . . . [Grumble]

(Maybe I'll dig out my old notebooks and see if I can recall which theorem it was . . . )

[ December 29, 2005, 01:28 PM: Message edited by: Icarus ]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.