FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Stranger in a Strange Land (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Stranger in a Strange Land
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's foolish to attribute any opinion or attitude in a work of fiction to the fictionwriter. It may very well be true -- certainly many authors stick with certain themes and defining characteristics in many of their characters. OSC's people tend to value reasoning over action and have a strong sense of values. I don't think it's possible to be a main character in a Spider Robinson book and not love The Beatles, collect the blues, and have an obsession with good coffee. And so on...

Heinlein's people are definitely derived from him and many of the opinions stated by them have been echoed in Heinlein's interviews and essays. It wouldn't surprise me if he secretly (or not) looked down on people who didn't get mathematics. I just don't assume he did.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.