FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Old man Bob sets things straight (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Old man Bob sets things straight
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
In my day, we had to post in proper hieroglyphics and woe unto those who messed up the conjugation of "eagle, eagle, bear-claw, feather, squiggle." It wasn't all fun and games, not like today.

When we posted, we had to walk two miles uphill in a driving blizzard just to read the thread, then we'd chisel our thoughts out on the internet and sit for days HOPING someone would notice.

Why, we would live for the day someone would post a [Wink] as a response. If you got a [ROFL] you would archive the page and show it to your folks!

Every enumerated list had to end with 7), or people would just think you were trying to be cool.

And if you took the HIGH ROAD, people noticed, and told you were nicer than they ever hoped to be, let me tell you! Those were some days.

Bah, you people have it easy!

Back in my day, the ENTIRE internet was filled up with "404 Error -- file not found." We had to provide our OWN content. And we LIKED it that way!

Feh! Pampered, the lot of you!

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
Go yell at the kids on your property, old man!
Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Get off my lawn!
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Bah, you had 404 Error? We had 202 errors, and were happy with them.

And lists with 7 things? We hadn't even invented the 7 in my day. If you had more than 6 things you just had to many.

And chisels? You modern punk kid. We used our teeth, and chewed our way through rock, and were happy if it didn't taste like granite.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
*plants pink flamingos and runs away*

Edit to add: In Bob's yard -- not Dan's -- he's obviously too tough . . . *grin*

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Meh! When we wanted to e-mail someone, we had to look up our random number generator/Compuserve ID and scrape that into a sandstone deposit using the bones of our ancestors.

Then we'd tap out the message on hollow tree trunks.

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Hey! Flamingo soup!
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
You had teeth, Dan?
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Where I came from, we scraped standstone into COBOL punchcards.

Hah!

Gerrofffmahlahn.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

PUNCHCARDS! We dreamed of punch cards. We had to use patch cords and turn a crank.
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

We just stuck our toes into the slots and hoped we wriggled them the right way.

-------------------

That sounds kinda kinky.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

Hah, we didn't need teeth to much. We could use our computer mouse. Course, it was a Saber-Tooth Mouse, but that's the risk you took.

Punch cards with oles? You guys had holes? He dreamt of holes...wait, that sounds even naughtier. Nevermind.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

I well remember the very first erection.
Advent 115
Member # 8914

- posted      Profile for Advent 115   Email Advent 115         Edit/Delete Post 
Man, we should make a film using Dan and Bob as the stars. We could call it "Grumpy Old Nerds"

[ROFL] [ROFL]

Posts: 1941 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dick Button
Member # 9197

- posted      Profile for Dick Button   Email Dick Button         Edit/Delete Post 
That won't stand them in good stead.
Posts: 46 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

- posted      Profile for Advent 115   Email Advent 115         Edit/Delete Post 
*tapps chin* Now, who should we use as the elderly female nerd who makes them fight for her attention?
Posts: 1941 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
As long as you're setting things straight, I have a question. At what age does one earn the right to yell at people to get off the lawn?

I'm on the verge of turning 40 and wonder if this will qualify me for the crochety Hatracker's club.

Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

I remember when storage devices were amphora, and we couldn't set them down EVER because the darned things had round bottoms!

You just carried it around with you, ALWAYS.

And a 4-function calculator included "On" and "Off" as two of the functions.

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

quote:
Originally posted by Advent 115:
*tapps chin* Now, who should we use as the elderly female nerd who makes them fight for her attention?

Me! [Big Grin]

(True photo.)

Advent 115
Member # 8914

Hmmm, perhaps someone who has a figure worth fighting for?
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Why is your cook using a personal massage device? And shouldn't that have some sort of knitted covering?
Advent 115
Member # 8914

See! Bob is movie GOLD! [Big Grin]
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

quote:
Hmmm, perhaps someone who has a figure worth fighting for?

Another view, this one from the side.

I always drives tha' boys crazy.

*preens

Advent 115
Member # 8914

.....Yew. *shudders, viotlently* I was thinking of someone..... better looking.
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Bah, in my day little blond girls had to carry three flamingoes or it was "off with their heads!"
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Bite your tongue, Advent.

Duchess ClaudiaTherese is one of the most beautiful women in existence.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

Ummm, I'd have to say that Claudia doesn't hold a candle to AoD.
Dick Button
Member # 9197

- posted      Profile for Dick Button   Email Dick Button         Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't she the quintessential pre-Raphaelite heroine?
Posts: 46 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
*shakes head sadly*

Kids these days.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dick Button
Member # 9197

But that's nitpicking.
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
*sticks out a toe and squishes a single blade of grass in Bob's yard*

*runs*

[Taunt]

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dick Button
Member # 9197

There's really almost a sense of rehearsed muscularity here.
Advent 115
Member # 8914

*runs over to Bobs front door, leaves flaming bag of poo* [Evil Laugh]

*runs like hell* [Taunt]

Dick Button
Member # 9197

The interesting thing about this performer is the very macho kind of
preening quality he gives to this dance.

foundling
Member # 6348

- posted      Profile for foundling   Email foundling         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Oh... my... god.
This has me laughing so hard I've got tears leaking from my squinty eyes. It really does!

And Dick, whoever you are ::coughelizabethorfiazcocough::, your pithy commentary is witty and fascinating. It has a certain Pre-Raphaelite lovelyness about it, dont you think?

edit: damnit. I didnt see your pre-raphaelite comment. Now mine sounds reduntant.

Posts: 499 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dick Button
Member # 9197

How nice!
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
I remember when punk-ass kids wouldn't dream of saying something cruel and unflattering to a women's face in public, or compare her unfavorably to another woman where all can hear. Regardless of your personal preferences, Advent, where precisely are your manners?
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

[edited for clarity, twice]

It is certainly unseemly, ElJay.

[ February 25, 2006, 08:46 AM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

password
Member # 9105

- posted      Profile for password           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dick Button:
The interesting thing about this performer is the very macho kind of
preening quality he gives to this dance.

Does this remind anyone else of the "Dancing Cucumber" veggie tales song? or am I just sick?
Posts: 121 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Will B
Member # 7931

- posted      Profile for Will B   Email Will B         Edit/Delete Post 
Japanese comedienne I heard:

Yes, we Japanese are very repressed. And it's your fault. You know how your parents will say how hard it was to have to walk to school in the snow, and that sort of thing? Whenever we'd complain, our parents would say, "When I was your age, we had a nuclear bomb dropped on us." How do you compete with that?

Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

We older folks go to bed early, and look what I missed. I just wanted to add...

COBOL? COBOL? THe only way we could program in COBOL was if the giant saber-tooth Kobol swallowed us hole. Then we programmed the bejeezes in the freakin Kobol. And let me tell you we did some dang good programming that way. Real programming, not like the sissy stuff you kids do today.

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

In my day, young men had manners! We would never insult a lady's looks, heavens no! We realized, rightly so, that were a woman to truly describe our persons, there would be nothing left to us but to become a hermit. Fortunately, women are generally much subtler, often to the point where the guy doesn't realize he's been put down until years later. When some kind woman explains it to him, pats him on the head and tells him "it's okay...that was a long time ago. You're nothing like that now.

[Wink]

And, in my day, when teachers didn't like your first draft of something, it meant scraping the rock clean and chiseling the whole thing over from scratch! Literally!

Dick Button
Member # 9197

"it meant scraping the rock clean and chiseling the whole thing over from scratch! "

I'm not quite sure about those arm movements.

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Okay, now that I've remembered who Dick Button is, these comments suddenly have become totally hilarious.

[ROFL]

[Hat]

Dick Button
Member # 9197

Good boy!
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
That's tellin' `em Grampaw Bob!

[sotto voce)[i]Call the home![/sotto voce]

PS: 'sotto voce is one of those phrases I really like.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Back in my day, we had to whisper asides "loudly" to each other because no-one had invented sotto voce yet!
Dick Button
Member # 9197

"That's tellin' `em Grampaw Bob!"

He has a wonderful kind of flair, very much in the style of the 19th Century
Romantic poet Bryon might have been. He's kind of Byronic, isn't he?

Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Wow, just wow. I haven't heard anything this stupid in awhile- especially not on Hatrack. I'd give you an award, but it would involve drowning you to prevent you from breeding.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

That might make things worse, him being pond scum and all...
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.