FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » March Madness 2006 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: March Madness 2006
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
This thread is for Belle, cuz she asked. [Big Grin]

Just so you are all aware, we have a hatrack group over at yahoo.com for the Men's 2006 tournament. Here's the group Jeni set up:

http://tournament.fantasysports.yahoo.com/men
Group: Jatraqueros
Password: hatrack
Group ID: 58371

We've got a decent sized group of folks, about ten or so, but we're always looking for more.

If this is your first time, you picked a good year, because anyone's guess is pretty much as good as anyone elses at this point - the bracket's kind of crazy, in my humble opinion.

So, check out some sports sites, read some game previews, and make your selections! Only a day or so more before selections are locked and final!

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
And just to let everyone know - I really suck at these, so you're guaranteed a non-last place finish [Big Grin]
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
Also, I am planning on winning, so you're also more or less guaranteed a non-first place finish. (Note the use of "more or less" in case I need to adjust the meaning of this statement in a few weeks.) [Wink]

Seriously folks, join now - ESPECIALLY if you don't know anything about basketball. Since it is mostly guessing anyway, you have a good chance of doing well. If you lose then you can always say you know nothing about basketball. And if you win you can hold it over those of us who follow this stuff.

There's only one big rule:
#1 seeds are the most favored teams. #2 seeds are slightly less favored. #3 slightly less than them, and so on. #16 seeds are the least favored. Pick #1 seeds to win much more often than #16 seeds, unless you just want to see gigantic upsets. (No #16 has EVER beaten a #1 seed.)

Now you have no excuse not to join.

Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm an idiot. I'm not at all happy with my bracket, but I hate to second guess myself.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

Oh, and I think in every year of the tournament at least one #12 seed has beaten a #5 seed.

Otherwise, I think I like ESPN's mascot method (can't find a link). Basically, it breaks down like this, with the upper mascot always beating the lower.

Supernatural or underworld being
Human with gun
Human with non-gun weapon
Ferocious Animal
Human with no weapon
Nonferocious animal
Inanimate object
Plant

In ties, dog mascots beat cat mascots. Cat mascots beat bird mascots. The scarier dog will beat the less scary dog, and the same for cats and birds. Plants never win.

Hope that helps. [Smile]

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kristen
Member # 9200

- posted      Profile for Kristen   Email Kristen         Edit/Delete Post 
A Few Tips:

12 over 5 is always the best "upset" bet.There's one every year.
Except for one #4 seed, 1,2,3 (overwhelmingly 1s) have won.
The only time a 16 beat a 1 was in the women's tournament.
Only once has anything under a 4 seed gotten to the finals (or final 4?) and it was #8

Do these statistic ever stop me from betting that some podunk #16 will take it all? No, no they don't. Last year I had Old Dominion going all the way because I liked the name.

Our mascot is the Maroon. I have no idea how that figures into your system FlyingCow, but as our only Div 1 sport is quizbowl, I don't think it's much of a concern [Cool]

Posts: 484 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Just for those that think you shouldn't bother if you don't know basketball - we held a bracket challenge at my workplace years back and the people who won were not those that spent hours reading online notes about each time and agonizing over each and every pick. It was two girls who never watched basketball and picked teams based on whether or not they had ever heard of them. Seriously, they would pick North Carolina over Hofstra because they'd never heard of Hofstra.

That's a pretty good strategy in the NCAA tournament, incidentally.

Thanks for the thread, Flying Cow. [Smile]

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm regularly beaten in the tournament by my buddies' girlfriends, who pick based on which mascot is the cutest or on coinflips.

Thinking too much is a bad idea, which is why this year I went stream-of-consciousness.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kristen
Member # 9200

- posted      Profile for Kristen   Email Kristen         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm such a girl about my picks, I admit. It's all about names, funny mascots, and hot basketball players. Oh, and I'm originally from CT so blind state pride (since we don't have any other sports team) usually dictates the rest.

But I did pick the Elite 8, Final Four, Finals, and winner at one point so who knows (and yes, that was the year that CT won).

Posts: 484 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

A woman I worked with consistently scored in the upper half of the people participating... by letter her dog choose. She would repeatedly put two bowls of identical food on the floor, with a name taped to each. Whatever bowl the dog picked, that would be the winner.
Tresopax
Member # 1063

ONLY 3 HOURS TO GO TILL GAME TIME! Join now!

By the way, in case anyone was wondering, the big winner will be...

Boston College! [Big Grin]

Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vamp96
Member # 9030

- posted      Profile for Vamp96   Email Vamp96         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I'm signed up. I'm sure I will suck the most!
Posts: 66 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tresopax
Member # 1063

As long as you didn't pick a plant mascot to win, you should be fine....
Tresopax
Member # 1063

Less than an hour before tip off! Last chance to join....

[Party]

Vamp96
Member # 9030

Can I ask a really stupid question? In terms of this tournament, what does seed mean? Why do they use the word seed in basketball? It seems weird to me. I get that it seems to be some sort of rating.
Posts: 66 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
Seeds are rough rankings within each division. The No. 1 seed is the top ranked team in their division, while No. 16 seed should be thankful they made it at all.

The advantage is that in the first round, all the No. 1 seeded teams play the No. 16 seeded teams, meaning it should be as easy a game as possible, and the highest chance to advance to the next round.

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vamp96
Member # 9030

Okay, that makes sense. Thanks for the explanation.
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

Well, I don't know if the mascot rule will hold true. Wichita State's mascot (wheat) is whuppin' on Seton Hall's mascot (a pirate).

::shakes fist at plants everywhere::

Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, you guys hear they are evacuting one of the arenas in California due to a bomb scare? Alabama and Marquette are set to tip off in less than an hour and they can't even get into the arena.

Of course, they need to check everything out, but it's going to be really funny if someone just left a backpack behind in a locker room.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tresopax
Member # 1063

quote:
Wichita State's mascot (wheat) is whuppin' on Seton Hall's mascot (a pirate).
A bunch of wheat being pirates? What a shocker! [Smile]
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] Go WSU (Wichita State). What a great game!

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

Hooray UWM! Oklahoma sucks!
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeni
Member # 1454

- posted      Profile for Jeni   Email Jeni         Edit/Delete Post 
Hooray for UWM and Go Pacific!

March is quickly becoming my favorite time of year.

Posts: 4292 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mean Old Frisco
Member # 6666

- posted      Profile for Mean Old Frisco   Email Mean Old Frisco         Edit/Delete Post 
Pacific is seriously screwing up my bracket! [Mad]
Posts: 270 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

Me, too! Although I did pick UW-M (not that that was a tough one to predict).
Jeni
Member # 1454

- posted      Profile for Jeni   Email Jeni         Edit/Delete Post 
Like I said, Go Pacific! [Wink]
Posts: 4292 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tresopax
Member # 1063

quote:
By the way, in case anyone was wondering, the big winner will be...

Boston College!

*fidgets*
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

And brackets everywhere breathe a sigh of relief. BC by 12 in double OT. Whew.
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

Yeah, they were supposed to roll those guys. Punks.
Tresopax
Member # 1063

Okay, so my overall winner was one free throw away from losing three hours into the tournament... no problem! That's why you shoot those every practice, right? [Wink]

Go B.C.!

Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
Frisco, two of your upset picks have already went well for you. How in the world????
Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

If Marquette goes down, I might as well burn my bracket.
Vamp96
Member # 9030

South Alabama is losing [Frown] . I guess I shouldn't be surprised.
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

No, you shouldn't.
Vamp96
Member # 9030

*hehe*
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

There goes my bracket. Damn you Jean Felix!

Guy averages 8 points a game. He hits 8-10 from beyond the arc and ends with 31. Damn. Damn damn. Damn damn damn!

Ah well. Now UCLA gets to smack Alabama around on Saturday instead of having an actual game against Marquette.

::grumble grumble::

[Wall Bash] [Wall Bash] [Wall Bash]

Carrie
Member # 394

See? I told everyone I was going to suck at this [Smile]

The thing of it is that when I watch the games, I don't even consider my bracket. And as it turns out, I actively cheer against my bracket. Come on - who else really wanted Winthrop to beat Tennessee? And who wasn't cheering for Montana?

I love March basketball.

Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
My philosophy teacher cancelled our Ancient class tomorrow because our school's team is playing tomorrow at 12:25 et.

Its the first time they've made the tournament since 2001. (Northwestern State University of Louisiana.)

I might watch just as thanks for having a day off from Aristotle.

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

That's awesome. I remember skipping class in high school to go to the library, where, of all places, there was a big-screen TV. The library would pretty much shut down while we were in there - and by "we," I mean "whoever was able to con a teacher into letting that person out." [Big Grin]

Good times...

prolixshore
Member # 4496

- posted      Profile for prolixshore           Edit/Delete Post 
My brother is very angry at Northwestern State for beating his school (Sam Houston State) in the conference championship and keeping them out of the tourney.

That being said, UConn will win the tournament.

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 1612 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vamp96
Member # 9030

oh cool. Northwestern State is like an hour from where I grew up.
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And who wasn't cheering for Montana?
Yeah, I do that, too. For me, it's not a gigantic conflict. I have no problem rooting for a team, particularly the underdog, even though I chose differently on the bracket. Seriously, a few games won't make a difference.

In short, I usually pick to be correct, but I cheer for whoever I want. [Smile]

Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
I've lost three games so far, but none of them are a bracket killer - all teams that I hadn't chosen to win more than one game.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

I totally picked Montana to whup on Nevada.

Though I must admit I was rooting for Winthrop, but I had Tenn going out in the second round anyway.

The Marquette loss, though... it's my conference, and one of my final four picks. Bracket = shambles.

TheTick
Member # 2883

Yeah, I picked Marquette, but then I had them losing to UCLA.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

__|__

That's for you Marquette.

Carrie
Member # 394

Yeah, I'm going to have to second the

--|--

TheTick
Member # 2883

Now, if Syracuse doesn't get their fracking act together...
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

Man. Big East letting me down big time.

Then again, Cuse was playing without McNamara, for all intents and purposes.

But still.

Marquette should have won, if it weren't for Felix. Cuse should have won, except for a groin injury. Seton Hall? Well, yeah, I had no hopes for them in the tourney.

Here's holding out hope for G'town and WVU runs, and UConn and Nova pushes to the Final Four.

Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad Gonzaga managed to pull out the win. Darn them for scaring me.

I did pick Texas A&M over Syracuse, for a couple reasons. First, I'll pick the Big 12 when in doubt. Second, ah, never cared much for orange. [Wink]

I'm not even going to discuss the Minneapolis bracket, though. [Smile]

Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.