FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » March Madness 2006 (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: March Madness 2006
Mean Old Frisco
Member # 6666

- posted      Profile for Mean Old Frisco   Email Mean Old Frisco         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Frisco, two of your upset picks have already went well for you. How in the world????
I notice this post was before both Winthrop and SDSU both went down on three-pointers with less than 20 seconds to play. Those were some painful games to watch.

So yeah, go Texas A&M and 'Bama! Fix my brackets for me...by busting everyone elses up just as bad!

Posts: 270 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
11-5 on day one. Not real good, but not a total train wreck, as most of the losses I had going on more round.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't realize how bad McNamara's groin injury was, or I wouldn't have picked them to go to the 16 over LSU. With a healthy G-Mac, I think they would have had the opportunity to lose to Duke.
Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I picked them to lose in the next round, but I can't say I'm surprised. I watched McNamara struggle through the tourney (from a physical standpoint; he still played great) and I knew how athletic TAMU was. But I just couldn't pull the trigger.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Aside from picking the SEC I did terrible in the first half of the first round.

On a brighter note all my losses were teams I had losing in the next round anyway.

I wish I'd picked TAMU. I really really wanted to but I couldn't make myself.

It's usually safe to bet against the Big Least since they're the most overrated conf since the Pac-10.

Pix

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I did okay, 12-4 - I did pick every SEC team correctly, for once my bias toward southern teams paid off. The only one I picked that I had going on another round was Syracuse, and I only had them winning one more game. We'll see what today brings.
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kristen
Member # 9200

- posted      Profile for Kristen   Email Kristen         Edit/Delete Post 
I cannot wait to go to Vegas today, for a lot of reasons (duh), but the March Madness is going to to awesome to watch on all the screens, with people all over the country getting to hear me rant about how awesome UCONN is and the Big East Tournament was just a fluke, that's all.

Will I bet on anything? *glances at woeful bracket* Most likely not. If UCONN wins, I'll just bask in the glow of state superiority and be content with that.

Posts: 484 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
A 16 seed has never beaten a 1 seed in the men's side of the tourney (and it's only happened once in the women's side. ha ha stanford)

A UCONN victory is all but certain.

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kristen
Member # 9200

- posted      Profile for Kristen   Email Kristen         Edit/Delete Post 
But a 15 has once beaten a 2!

quote:
A UCONN victory is all but certain.
*crosses fingers*
Posts: 484 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

15s beat 2s pretty regularly. but not 16s beating 1s.

And it'll never ever ever happen. Never. Not in a million years.

(Is this jinx working?)

FlyingCow
Member # 2150

Sigh. And Arkansas blows it.

There goes my entire Oakland region.

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
So much for Wisconsin. That was one of the worst games I've seen them play in ages. Good thing I have Villanova beating whichever team won that game. [Smile]

And Northwestern State University of Louisiana (at least I think that's the name) - AWESOME! I just love the buzzer-beating shots, particularly when they occur against another Big Ten team. Go them!

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
YAY FOR MY SCHOOL!

I was in the campus gym working out during the game. All the employees were gathered around the tv on the cardio side of the room. I was lifting some weights when I heard just SCREAMING. It was intense. I wasn't expecting that! And I'm superstitious so I'm gonna have to go to the gym for every game.

My dad called me all excited. What will be interesting is if they play LSU at some point. They're seeded below the team NSU beat today so that could be fun. My brother just got accepted to LSU for the fall so I can just imagine my poor parents having to take sides.

Its kinda funny cause I don't even like my school. I take all my classes through the independent liberal arts college. But I'm competitive so if we have to suck at football, atleast we're not bad at basketball.

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

FC: I jinxed the Hogs =( Since moving to CA anytime I watch them they're almost certain to lose. (And they're MY team dammit!!!) I was sitting at work refreshing the score every now and then... It wasn't much, but it was enough for the jinx *weep*

(At least this saves us the shame of getting destroyed by Memphis. I *hate* losing to Memphis and we have problems with them even when we're good and they suck.)

Pix

FlyingCow
Member # 2150

I had Arkansas beating Memphis and Pitt and then losing to Marquette in the regional final.

Shows what I know.

The Pixiest
Member # 1863

I am flattered by your faith in my team =)
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

They looked really good on paper. And they looked great during the game... too bad Bucknell had 55% from behind the arc, and Arkansas had basically 55% from the charity stripe.

That makes a pretty huge difference. If they'd just made 4 of those missed 8 free throws...

In any event, at least the Big East did a lot better today

The Pixiest
Member # 1863

At one point Bucknell was 5-6 behind the 3pt line. Also it was a long time before either team missed a freethrow. It was a weird game to watch from the yahoo box score...
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

Yeah, go NW! Since they took UL's spot in the tourney, I'd like them to beat some people.
Jeni
Member # 1454

- posted      Profile for Jeni   Email Jeni         Edit/Delete Post 
I have Connecticut all the way, but I just can't resist cheering for Albany.
Posts: 4292 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

I was so torn.

Cheer for Uconn! They're in the Big East, it makes our strength of schedule higher next year, it helps my bracket!

Cheer for Albany! Sixteen seed! UConn are punks! It goes against every grain of my being to want UConn to win!

I cheered for Albany... too bad it didn't do much good.

Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
Here comes KU, ready for a repeat of last year!

Way to go, Hawks!

[Grumble]

Not major damage to my bracket, as I didn't have them past Memphis anyway.

Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

Wow, UNC barely pulled ahead at the end there, too - and against a 14 seed that lost its best player half way through.

What's with these low seeds? I think Nova's game was the only one that was a comfortably handled win, and maybe Duke's (though they didn't make the best showing against Southern, either).

[ March 18, 2006, 12:11 AM: Message edited by: FlyingCow ]

Carrie
Member # 394

And as it turns out, I actually picked Bradley to upset Kansas. I think I was on something when I did my picks. [Smile]
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
I’m in Detroit!!! What a fun set of games today. A couple of upsets and a couple of great Big East wins!!! Fun. My school, WVU, looked good and I think we should have a good game Sunday. I’m hopeful we win so I can go to Atlanta! Fun.
Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
1st place! And none of my second round winners are out yet... Go Boston College! Go ACC!
Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

quote:
And as it turns out, I actually picked Bradley to upset Kansas.
KU is one of those teams. One that causes me a lot of doubt. That little voice in the back of my head was singing loud and clear about an upset.

Too bad I didn't listen. [Smile]

Oh well, I did pick a good number correctly. George Mason, Bucknell, NC State, Texas A&M...

Now, third round is still intact so far. I haven't lost a third round team *YET*. None of my current mispicks went past the next round. We'll see how things go from here. [Smile]

Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
yeah - the Jayhawks of KU, and the Iowa team both let me down in the first round and did major damage to my picks. Luckily, I didn't have KU picked to advance any further than the next round, so all the teams I have for semis and finals are still in the running. And so far I've got all the Washington DC side of the bracket correct.

Just disappointed in my Big 12 teams.

And I'm tied with Frisco, so I can't be doing all that badly.

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mean Old Frisco
Member # 6666

- posted      Profile for Mean Old Frisco   Email Mean Old Frisco         Edit/Delete Post 
Umm...yeah you can. [Razz] I'm doing pretty badly.

On the bright side, I discovered Yahoo's scenario generator, and found that if the seeds hold up for the rest of the tourney except for BC upsetting 'Nova (the health of my bracket rests on this) and North Carolina "upsetting" Tennessee, all I need is one of the following upsets to overtake El JT and win the thing:

Wichita St. over Tennessee
Texas A&M over LSU
Pitt over Memphis
Alabama over UCLA

Put simply, I'm not going to win this year. [Razz] But at least I have a couple more days of hope.

Posts: 270 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I had Kansas going to the final four.

I have March Sadness. [Frown]

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

Pitt can beat Memphis.
Tstorm
Member # 1871

The scenario generator is kinda fun. Glad you pointed it out, Frisco, or I wouldn't have tried it.

I'm still in it, as long as my Final 4 survive. Of course, this can all change tomorrow. [Smile]

FlyingCow
Member # 2150

I can't believe I'm going to miss all the games tomorrow.

I promised my girlfriend that I would go to a suprise party with her from 2-6pm, somewhere that's an hour drive from my house. When I said I'd go, it was early February! I didn't realize what day it would be! Grah!

tmservo
Member # 8552

- posted      Profile for tmservo   Email tmservo         Edit/Delete Post 
My bracket is completely wrecked, but I'm rooting for Wichita State and the other Missouri Valley small schools now. For all the crap Billy Packer through at the Missouri Valley ("How can they get 4 seeds?" He kept saying during Selection Sunday) it's good to see the small schools leap up and beat the big boys down.
Posts: 202 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

Where do you find this scenario generator?

EDIT: Nevermind, I found it.

Carrie
Member # 394

If my final two works out, I'll win. Otherwise, I'll stay happily at the bottom of the pile - just like I predicted. Well, at least I can predict some things...
Tstorm
Member # 1871

quote:
I can't believe I'm going to miss all the games tomorrow.
What, you mean people get to stay home and watch these games? I'd guess I've seen two and a half games total, if you count halves.

Good luck to everyone tomorrow. [Smile]

Mean Old Frisco
Member # 6666

Still technically in it!

I've suddenly become a huge Ohio State, Bucknell, Arizona, and Pitt fan!

Memphis and 'Nova have got to go.

Carrie
Member # 394

Funny, I'm also a HUGE Ohio State fan right now.

I think next year's strategery will be to AIM for the lowest possible score.

Mean Old Frisco
Member # 6666

My scenario generator now tells me I'm a huge Bradley fan!

I can only win if Bradley beats Memphis, Villanova *doesn't* make the Final 4, and Duke loses to UConn in the Finals. And UConn has to score 85 points or fewer in the process of beating Duke. Or, if BC can beat 'Nova in the Elite 8, I don't need to win a tiebreaker.

Heh.

Mean Old Frisco
Member # 6666

Also, Texas has to beat NC State and Florida.
Carrie
Member # 394

I don't even need that silly "Scenario Generator" anymore to tell me where I'm going to wind up.

Why do I suck so badly at this?

Tstorm
Member # 1871

Well, you're partway there. Texas just waxed NC State pretty good. The Florida game might be a tighter race.
Tstorm
Member # 1871

Carrie, people have good years and bad ones. I've had brackets go down with a losing percentage before (I picked more wrong that I did right). One year, after the second round, I chucked the bracket and quit watching. [Smile]

A losing streak definitely sucks.

I've also picked the underdog and won. My motivations to continue this madness? My dad usually plays, and its fun to compete with him for more wins. Also, it's kinda like exploring...what are you going to see tomorrow? Take a guess. Have fun. Pick Wichita State or Bradley or Duke. Whoever you want to cheer for or hope to win. Wait and see how the whole thing unfolds.

[Smile]

FlyingCow
Member # 2150

Just make sure you watch the Villanova/Boston College game, whoever you happened to pick. That game's going to rock.
Jay
Member # 5786

Just got home from Detriot. Fun. Can't believe Pitt lost... But go WVU how sweet it is. I'm getting things set to go to Atlanta. Should be fun.
Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

I guess I should have listened to you on the WVU team, Jay. Because I didn't pick them, and now they are doing quite well.

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

And we've already played Texas once this year so Thursday should be a good game. Can't wait!
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

How did this already get pushed to the fourth page?

Everyone ready for another go-round?? Warm up the TV's -- it's time for the Sweet Sixteen!

FG

Go Shockers!

[ March 23, 2006, 10:38 AM: Message edited by: Farmgirl ]

Sean
Member # 689

- posted      Profile for Sean   Email Sean         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, how is there nobody in here?

Wow. Amazing finishes. And the good guys won all of them. (Speaking as someone with Texas over Duke and Memphis over UCLA in my work pool. YMMV).

Sooo awesome.

Posts: 148 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.