FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What is your favorite beer? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: What is your favorite beer?
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
Lately I have been getting really into the St. Arnolds Brewing Company. It is located in Houston, so i don't know how widely it is distributed. Let me know if you have it where you live. Their best beer is their Spring Bock. Also, their Summer Pills is excellent. as is their Elissa IPA (though i'm not typically a fan of India Pale Ale).

Also, the New Belgium Brewing Company makes many fine beers. In particular i like their Fat Tire (of course), Beer de Mars (it is their new specialty beer and is amazing), 1554 Black Ale, and their Frambozen (a rasberry ale). They are located in Fort Collins, CO.

I also really enjoy Newcastle, Bass, Boddingtons and the occasional Guiness.

Obviously i am a big fan of ale, although i do appreciate some lagers, just not as much.

I really want to try my hand at homebrewing, but am a little nervous about getting started. anybody have any advice?

Let me know what your favorite beers are and why! i love trying new beer and would really appreciate some ideas!

Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
I've discovered that the darker the beer, the more likely it is to give me a tummyache. [Frown]

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

awe, that's too bad pH, dark beer is really good. have you tried Amber beer? it's kind of a midway beer that has the full body taste of dark beer, but can still be light enough not to offend your delicate food sack.
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

We have Abita Amber here, and it's not that bad. But I'm much more of a light beer person, if it must come to beer.

Although apparently, light Abita is also good...perhaps I'll try some.

I kind of want to pick up some Purple Haze...I make impulse purchases of alcohol I've never tried before.

I'm sure I'll regret it.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

What is Purple Haze?
pH
Member # 1350

Purple Haze.

-pH

vonk
Member # 9027

That looks really good, very similar to Frambozen. I wonder if they have it at the local Spec's. I would assume so. That place is like heaven.
Epictetus
Member # 6235

- posted      Profile for Epictetus   Email Epictetus         Edit/Delete Post 
We have the Squatter's Microbrews here in Utah. The only one I liked was called Alpine, the others weren't anything to write home about. In their defense, however, they do have some clever names: Polygamy Porter, Saint Provo Girl etc. but most of them have a very hopsy (I think that's the word) taste to them.

Strangely though, I like Guiness, Harp and Newcastle Brown Ale. Other than that, I stick to Budwiser and Killians.

Posts: 681 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a hankering for Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.

I also love Stone's Arrogant Bastard.

Newcastle.

Red Stripe.

Mexican Tres Equis beer, which I only had once in, surprise!, Mexico.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Root.
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

There's TRES Equis? I've only seen Dos!

-pH

vonk
Member # 9027

I like Killians Red also, and Newcastle is one of the classics. but Budweiser? it's like sex in a canoe, effing close to water.

I wonder if they ship Alpine to Texas?

vonk
Member # 9027

Red Stripe is really good. What is Stone's Arrogant Bastard? it sounds like i could relate to it. and yeah! Tes Equis? That sounds naughty. I could never get into the Sierra Nevada though, i don't know why. i guess i just don't like pale ale.
vonk
Member # 9027

quote:
Originally posted by Uprooted:
Root.

St. Arnolds also makes excellent root beer.
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Root.

Darn. That was exactly what I was going to post. Verbatim.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
password
Member # 9105

- posted      Profile for password           Edit/Delete Post 
Tres Equis is not related to Dos, I think, but it does exist.

Vonk, if you like Newcastle, I think you'd enjoy shiner bock.

The aforementioned 1554 is awesome.

Posts: 121 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a big fan of some of the German and Austrian Hefeweizen. Nothing like a good, murky wheat beer. I liked the Schneider Weisse the best, but the Schöfferhofer and Erdinger are also good. I brought about 7 500ml bottles of the Erdinger back into the country with me in my hand luggage. It was the only thing in my hand luggage.

They guessed I was Australian.

[Big Grin]

That said, I also love an Australian wheat beer, Redback and some standard Ales - the James Squire Amber Ale in particular.

We've got Millers over here - not too fussed.

I drank Budweiser in the Czech Republic. Not bad. Not great.

Dos Equis is nice, but I prefer Negra Modelo...

Ah, beers of the world..... when will I have the time?

Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Risuena
Member # 2924

- posted      Profile for Risuena   Email Risuena         Edit/Delete Post 
Since he's in Texas, I'd be shocked if Vonk hasn't at least tried Shiner. And if he hasn't or if he doesn't like it, well, that's just not Texan.

I'm not sure I can choose one favorite beer - there are just too many choices. Among the beers I drink regularly are Shiner, Newcastle, Sam Adams, Tecate, Dos Equis, Lonestar (it's cheap and it's better PBR and the like) and Negra Modelo. I'll also throw in Guiness or Boddington's if I'm in the mood.

Then there are the beers that I splurge on every once in a while, particularly if I can find them on tap. Among these are Chimay Blue and Red, Ayinger Celebrator Dopplebock and almost anything from the Samuel Smith brewery, but particularly their nutbrown ale or oatmeal stout. Not to mention the locally brewed beers I can get at some of my favorite brew pubs back home.

Looking at the number of beers that I just rattled off, I think one day I'll have to sit down and conduct a taste test. There are definitely some I prefer to others, but they all fit a different mood.

And, I'll even admit to enjoying budweiser under certain circumstances - like at a baseball game on a hot, hazy afternoon when I have no desire to get out of my seat to search for a better beer. Otherwise, there's no excuse for it.

Posts: 959 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
My boss keeps an empty six-pack carton of Sam Adams on his bookshelf.

He likes the phrase "A brewer and a patriot."

Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

quote:
Glad to know I'm not the only one with an insatiable taste for the obvious pun. [Wink]
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kristen
Member # 9200

- posted      Profile for Kristen   Email Kristen         Edit/Delete Post 
pH: yes, i can hardly stomach dark beers too and Abita is one of the better ones

Troubadour:mmmm Hefeweizen. I ADORE Erdinger--it may be my favorite too. Do you like pure whites like Hoegaarden?

My favorite beer that is easily available is Blue Moon. It's light, citrusy, and crisp.

My favorite snooty beer is definitely Chimay White. But at $9/glass, I can't exactly make a night out of it.

And I love raspberry lambics of all kinds. Yummy.

Posts: 484 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a big fan of Young's Double Cocolate stout (I liked it better in the pressurized can than the bottles they have now). The most complex good beer I've had is the now-discontinued Polish Okocim Porter.

I'm a dark beer kind of guy, though a good light ale/pilsner can be a nice change.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Root.

Elephant Ginger Beer for me.

Much stronger ginger flavor than the ginger ales you get in North America with a full bodied taste. And it bites back a little.

[Big Grin]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I drank a wheat beer from the local brewery where I live, it was the best beer I ever had.

Have no idea what it's called.

The Royal Oak Brewery is where I go

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think I'm technically allowed to answer this, but since my parents have been giving me sips of beer since the age of 2 (don't ask), I feel it appropriate that I give my response.

I love Sam Adams, especially Octoberfest. Mmmmmmm....

Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
You would. [Wink]
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Here is the menu from a local ale huose:

http://www.themoananddove.com/menu.html

Tres Equis, I believe is onl;y sold in Mexico? (It was many moons ago that I had it, so it may be sold here. It is sort of like a Mexican Budweiser.)

vonk, here is the Stone website:

http://www.stonebrew.com/

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
Adam! I resent that! [Razz]
Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Risuena
Member # 2924

- posted      Profile for Risuena   Email Risuena         Edit/Delete Post 
After doing some google research on XXX, it was brewed by Cervecería Moctezuma, the same people who do XX, Sol, Tecate, Bohemia, Indio, Carta Blanca and a couple other brews I'm not familiar with. It looks like XXX has been discontinued for a while even in Mexico - at least it's not listed on the Moctezuma site. And I have to say that I find Moctezuma pretty impressive since they produce a lot of beers that I like - the glaring exception being Sol, which is like Corona and just as foul.

And speaking of a Corona, I had a friend who once decided to annoy some Mexicans by starting a debate over the best Mexican beer, which he insisted was not Corona. Most of the Mexicans I've met are very proud of Corona since it's the one of the most (if not the most) popular beer in the world - which just goes to show that the world has no taste. And the fight was resolved after they all bonded over their inebriated state...

Posts: 959 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by starLisa:
quote:
Root.

Ditto.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
Of New Belgium's offerings that I've tried (and I think I've tried most), my favorites are Trippel and Bier de Mars. I enjoy snooty beers too, but not as often. Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is pretty good stuff, too.

Blue Moon and Hoegaarden are the beers that got me into beer, which wasn't all that long ago. But they're not my favorites at this point.

I've been meaning to try Stone Brewing, as I've heard it comes highly recommended, but it's not easy to find around here. And San Francisco's not that far from San Diego. Speaking of San Francisco, Anchor Steam's not bad.

And, don't hang me, but I find Corona surprisingly palatable as lagers go.

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

Oh, yes, I was going to say: if you prefer the root variety, do yourself a favor and try Henry Weinhard's root beer. Sadly it's only available on the west coast.
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubadour
Member # 83

Kristen - I don't mind Hoegaarden, but I prefer more dunkles to kristal, neh?
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

I love Anchor Steam!
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never really had beer. I love Sapporo beer merely for its crazy commercials though (I mean who doesn't laugh when a Japanese man randomly yells "Love beer?!").
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

Ginger beer is also awesome.

-pH

Avadaru
Member # 3026

- posted      Profile for Avadaru   Email Avadaru         Edit/Delete Post 
Guinness.
Posts: 1225 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nato
Member # 1448

- posted      Profile for Nato   Email Nato         Edit/Delete Post 
Gorsh, no other Northwesterners here?

We've got it good if you like to drink tasty brews in the rain.

Rogue Brewery (Newport, OR)"
If you can get your hands on some Rogue 22oz bottles anywhere else in the country, do it. They usually run $3.50-$4.50 in a large variety of flavors, and only a few of those ever make it to the sixpack. My favorites include:
Chipotle Ale (It's a kind of golden ale with a chipotle zing),
American Amber (A bonus if you can get the sea otter bottle--the brewery is across the street from the Oregon Coast Aquarium),
Brutal Bitter (not as bitter as it sounds, but quite hoppy),
Hazelnut Brown Nectar (The bald guy on the bottle looks just like my dad),
the two Japanese beers Morimoto Soba Ale and Morimoto Imperial Pilsner
and of course, the Dead Guy Ale, king of the $8 sixpacks.

Deschutes Brewery:
These guys aren't quite so specialized, but all their offerings are good, especially the Black Butte Porter and Cascade Ale. (I'm looking forward to their Inversion IPA that's coming out this April--I've had a homebrew of my friend's that was dry-hopped, and I loved it a bunch)

Eugene City Brewery: The Honey Orange Wheat Beer is pretty awesome.

Weinhard's produced a really good blackberry-wheat beer, but it was discontinued a couple years before I turned 21. The Weinhard's name is really just a name now, its beers being brewed at the Full Sail Brewery. (Full Sail does a pretty good job still, but I don't like them quite as much as a bunch of the other NW offerings).

quote:
Oh, yes, I was going to say: if you prefer the root variety, do yourself a favor and try Henry Weinhard's root beer. Sadly it's only available on the west coast.
Move out here, the root beer's worth it.
Posts: 1592 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I miss Leininkugel's Honey Weiss. You just can't get that around here. [Frown]
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by pH:
Ginger beer is also awesome.

-pH

Yes, yes, yes, yes it is. [Big Grin]

If I were to go with root beer, then Hires is teh awesomest for belchability. [Big Grin]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

quote:
Move out here, the root beer's worth it.
Ah yes, well, I forgot to mention that I live on the west coast now. Which is good. But it does mean that I am absolutely required to carry at least one sixpack of HW's back with me whenever I visit the east coast.
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by vonk:
delicate food sack.

Wow. I love that euphamism. [Big Grin]
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Epictetus
Member # 6235

- posted      Profile for Epictetus   Email Epictetus         Edit/Delete Post 
Crap, I completely forgot about Hefeweizen! It's by far one of the best beers I've ever had.
Posts: 681 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Elizabeth:
I have a hankering for Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.

Newcastle.

SN Pale Ale? [Razz]

I found out this summer that Scotts actually look down on Newcastle, its like their Natty ice (or insert cruddy beer). But I like it too.

Ph- ever drink Sapporo or Tsing Tao? I think japanese/chinese beers are always the tastiest light beers out there.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shepherd
Member # 7380

- posted      Profile for Shepherd           Edit/Delete Post 
Guiness
Moose Drool (don't let the name throw you off, it's truly wonderful)
Sapporo (dark)

Posts: 242 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
Sam Adams
Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
I love Hoegaarden, but I've haven't found anywhere near me in Orlando, so I don't get it often. I also love Erdinger, but alas, it's not within my budget to drink it often.

Some of my favorite beers are made by Unibroue out of Canada - Fin du Monde, Eau Benite, Don de Dieu. Once again, however, it's not within my budget to enjoy them that often.

For cheap beers, I actually like Tecate. It's a better beer than most of the American beers and it costs less. How can you beat that?

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

Continuing the root/ginger/etc. beer sub-thread:

You can order Weinhard's Root Beer (and other hard-to-find soft drinks) here.

SC Carver
Member # 8173

- posted      Profile for SC Carver   Email SC Carver         Edit/Delete Post 
Depends on my mood and the time of year.

I the summer I usually like something lighter like; Red Stripe or Pacifica

One of my favorite summer brews is Spanish Peaks White ale. It almost doesn't taste like beer, but still manages to maintain it's identity as a beer. Hints of orange, coriander and pepper. Very tasty.

Been drinking a fair amount of Shinner products lately. Shinner bock, blonde and Hefeweizen.

In the winter I like the darker/heavier end of the spectrum. Guinness, Murphy's, New Castle Amber Bock (if you want to save $$$)

Posts: 555 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Oh, ginger beer isn't hard to find here at all. It's available in every store and restaurant and whatnot that sells soft drinks.

Yum! [Smile]

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.