FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What is your favorite beer? (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: What is your favorite beer?
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Zeugma!
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeugma
Member # 6636

- posted      Profile for Zeugma   Email Zeugma         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey! [Smile]
Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Do you have your GrassRoots tickets yet??

Another facorite beer of mine is the one I am sipping no: Otter Creek Copper Ale.
I wish it was around twenty years ago!

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarahdipity
Member # 3254

- posted      Profile for sarahdipity   Email sarahdipity         Edit/Delete Post 
Elizabeth

Cool, we'll have to go sometime this week. If you want to go on Sunday night let me know. I don't have school and it's bound to be empty. [Smile]

Zeugma

I've been told I have unusual, good, and expensive taste in beer. I love Rodenbach. I can't get Echt Kriekenbier up here in Western MA. So, I've yet to try it. I've never heard of Zoetzuur? Where are you again. We should have a beer swap.

Posts: 872 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Sarah,
You should tell the Moan and Dove guy that he doesn't have a beer you want to try. he is bound to get it.
we will be doing the family thing on Sunday, but any other night should be OK. Or afternoon.

Also, for people in the PA area, Yeungling seems to be the thing. Oldest brewery in America and all that. I was not all that impressed, though, i must say.

Also, I used to love Schmidt's when I visited my grandmother in Long Island.

Zeugma
Member # 6636

- posted      Profile for Zeugma   Email Zeugma         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in Central NY state, and we've got a store in town that carries both Rodenbach and Rodenbach Grand Cru, E.K., the Duchess, and maybe one or two other flemish reds. If you like the sour type, you might also like the unsweetened lambics and geuzes like Cantillon and the Cuvee Renee from Lindeman's... that stuff'll take the enamel off your teeth. [Big Grin]

The Zoetzuur was this incredible beer my husband got through his "belgian beer of the month" thing, I guess it had been specially made for Michael Jackson (the beer guy, not the... other... guy [Big Grin] ), and we managed to wrangle a couple of extra shipments out of them, but I have no idea if it's still being produced or whether it's available anywhere.

Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarahdipity
Member # 3254

- posted      Profile for sarahdipity   Email sarahdipity         Edit/Delete Post 
Liz, do you want to go to the bar tomorrow (Wed)?
Posts: 872 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TimeTim
Member # 2768

- posted      Profile for TimeTim   Email TimeTim         Edit/Delete Post 
Red stripe's pretty good but lately I've been heavily into Killian's Irish Red which is also excellent.

Pete's Wicked is a nice brand, my favorite being the Strawberry Blonde:)

My favorite beer though is unquestionably Duck Rabbit Porter. It's fantastic and brewed in Fayetville NC.

Warsteiner is a good import from Germany if you're looking for something slightly expensive.

Posts: 218 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Kidd
Member # 2646

- posted      Profile for Chris Kidd   Email Chris Kidd         Edit/Delete Post 
McGilly Sassparilly has a good Honey made rootbeer .

they only sale it at ren fairs and other reinactment events. so every time i go to arizona i have to bring back a few gallons to tide me over for a month.

Posts: 513 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Black and Tan: I had no idea of the connotations!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060421/od_nm/benjerrys_dc

Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Holland Brand. A beer so good you could eat it with a spoon. But I haven't seen it for about 20 years.
Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dab
Member # 7847

- posted      Profile for dab   Email dab         Edit/Delete Post 
Brooklyn Brewery is very good... my favorites are the Brooklyn Lager (which tastes almost like an ale) , and the brooklyn brown ale.
I agree that moose drool is delicious.
Also, there is a brewery in wisconson that I loved when I was there, but i cant remember the name because it was sort of an odd name.

Posts: 104 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
I've not tried too many beers since somewhat recently turning 21, but I wonder if anybody has ever heard of Speights beer. I can't remember if it's NZ or Australia, but I can't find it ANYWHERE! [Frown]

I like Hefeweizen, Newcastle, Fat Tire, Corona, Sapporo, and Kirin. [Smile]

Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Elizabeth:
Black and Tan: I had no idea of the connotations!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060421/od_nm/benjerrys_dc

Wait. Beer-flavored ice cream? Huh.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
I had some ice cream called "Caramel Guiness Fudge."

It was the best ice cream I have ever had.

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
Just came back from a trip to Colorado, and I wanted to add some beers to this list:

Idaho Springs' Tommyknocker Brewery's Maple Nut Brown Ale is awesome. It's like Newcastle with a hint of maple syrup.

Denver's Rock Bottom Brew Pub's Milk Stout was about as smooth a stout as any I've ever had. Unfortunately, they don't bottle it.

Fort Collins' Coopersmith's Brew Pub had the best overall selection of beer on the trip. Of the seven beers tried, I loved all of them - except their Green Chili Lager, which I'm told is great as an additive to a Bloody Mary.

Fort Collins' New Belgium Brewing Co. (makers of Fat Tire, which is tasty) had a Belgian style Trippel which made me feel like I was drinking in a medieval tavern - very old worldish, but great.

Fort Collins' Odell Brewing Co makes a Cutthroat Porter which is tasty, but only made truly great when Nitrogen infused or cask conditioned.

Alamosa's San Luis Valley Brew Pub had a terrific Scotch Ale that was 8% and kicked my butt, but I enjoyed every minute of the kicking.

Cortez' Mainstreet Brewery had a wonderful selection of brews (and brew mixtures - they'd take 80% of their porter and mix with 20% of their IPA, or 60% of their dopplebock and 40% of their porter, or somesuch... great stuff), though no specific names come to mind (they also had a killer black angus bacon cheeseburger with sourkraut on it.. mmm...)

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

"except their Green Chili Lager,"

I have tried a "chile beer" and did not enjoy it. As I mentioned earlier, I LOVE a fresh slice or two of a hot chile in my beer, and it is best with cheap beer, like Bud Lite.

MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
I had some sort of Nut Brown Ale once that tasted like a chocolate beer. It was delicious as all get out, but I've forgotten what brand it was, and I've yet to find its equal.

Leinenkuggles Berry Weis is also awesome, but it seems that they only sell it in the Midwest. DAMN YOU MIDWEST! WHY MUST YOU VEX ME SO?

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Samuel Smith's? That is my favorite nut brown ale, ever.
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

Looks as though I have a younger Mighty cousin?

Sam Smith's Nut Brown is very good, better than Newcastle, in my mind. But this Maple Nut Brown was just delicious. They say they'll be distributing in New Jersey next year, too. Glee!

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

How about Schmidt's, Flying Cow?(speaking of New Jersey, not excelllent, nut brown ales-ha ha)
I love Schmidt's. Is it still around?

FlyingCow
Member # 2150

I've actually never had Schmidt's, Elizabeth. I haven't even heard of it.

A quick Google search tells me that it was shut down in 1987, and the remains can be seen here.

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
I am currently nursing a deep fondness for Allagash White for crisp complexity and Rogue*** Imperial Stout for the dark, earthy hop-lovin'.

***shout-out to Nato [Wink]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr. Evil
Member # 8095

- posted      Profile for Dr. Evil   Email Dr. Evil         Edit/Delete Post 
Free beer!!

No, actually the best beer I ever had was at a place in Boulder, CO called Mountain Sun Brewery. They had a Java Porter there that was to die for.

Posts: 117 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Oh, no!
Not only is it sad that Schmidt's is gone, it makes me realize, once again, how freaking OLD I am!

I loved the bottle. It was like the Red Stripe bottle. In fact, that might be why I like Red Stripe. It really isn't that great a beer, and neither was Schmidt's.

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Why is Red Stripe so appealing to me?
It really isn't a great beer.
Is it the cool bottle?
And, now that it is regularly advertised in the US, has a US company bought it?

vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I also love Stone's Arrogant Bastard.
Thanks a lot for the recommendation. The Arrogant Bastard label caught my eye at Spec's and I gave it a try. Very good.

I also picked up a bottle of Rogue's Dead Guy Ale. It is excellent, I highly recommend it. It looks like Rogue makes several good brews. I can't wait to try them. I always get giddy when I find a new brewery that I like.

Any suggestions?

Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

I am glad you liked it, vonk.

One of the Stone brews packs a very serious punch. Brain cramp right now, but make sure you look at the alcohol content.

And I did a little research on Red Stripe. It is owned by Guinnes, which is owned by Diageo, which is a huge company.

I still like it!

BlueWizard
Member # 9389

- posted      Profile for BlueWizard   Email BlueWizard         Edit/Delete Post 
Continuing the Ginger Beer/ale/brew sub-thread, I love ginger drinks; the stronger the better.

I'm curious though Quidscribis, exactly where is it that you live that Ginger brews are so popular? Here in sunny southern Minnesota about the only thing you find in stores and restaurants is Canada Dry or Schwepps. Personally, I think they are about as close to real ginger ale as Kool-Aide is to fruit juice.

While my geographic misfortune limits the availability of specialty drinks, which is what real ginger ale is considered around here, I am able for find some of the more common brands.

My most recent find was Archer Farms Ginger Beer. Archer Farms is one of the house brands of Target stores. It was somewhat cloudy in appearance, but had a nice ginger bite.

Souix City Ginger Beer also had a pleasant bite and a nice flavor.

I recently tried Thomas Kemper Ginger Ale and was somewhat disappointed.

Stewards made a wonderful range of specialty sodas, and their ginger beer is very dark and spicy. Although to compensate for the ginger bite they have to add 50g of sugar.

Boylan's Ginger Ale is a pleasant compromise. A nice but subtle ginger bite with a overal pleasant taste.

Sprecher's which is a brewry in Wisconsin that makes an assortment of lagers and dark ales as well as an assortment of soft drinks. Their Ginger Ale is pleasantly spicey with a noticable hint of vanilla. It does have a small trace of bitterness, which I don't really mind, and which most likely occurs because it only has 14g of sugar. This is probably one of my favorites.

Another good old stand-by is -

Reed's Extra Ginger Brew - spicy and fruity, and overal a very pleasant drink.

And for the record, I find Pyramind Apricot Ale to be very pleasant.

One of the best things to do, is to go to a local microbrewry/bar and order the sample serving. You get a small four or six ounce glass of every one of their beers and ales. It is excellent to try them all side by side. I did this in St. Cloud during the summer and one of the beers was a Shandy, although the brewmaster didn't call it that. It was a light beer mixed with lemonade, real lemonade, not Sprite or 7-Up. It was wonderfully light, deliciously flavor, and an excellent summer drink for those of us who are not heavy drinkers.

Right now I'm working by way slowly through a Leinenliugel's Leinie Lodge Tackle Box which is a 12-pack assortment of Leinenliugel's specialty beers; 3 bottles each of Amber Light, Creamy Dark, Red Lager, and Honey Weis.

Also, always a big Newcastle fan.

Finally, just curious, has anyone tried the Idris brand ginger brews??? They are made in Britian, I'm lead to beleive that Idris in general is a popular brand.

Also, has anyone tried Fentiman's Ginger Beer; it's also a British specialty brand. I really want to try this one, but can't find it.

Last and final point, has anyone tried ginger spiced beer/ale. This is a seasonal beer/ale that has a trace of ginger in it. I've always wanted to taste it but have never been able to find any out here in the frozen tundra of Minnesota.

Steve/BlueWizard

Posts: 803 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BlueWizard:
I'm curious though Quidscribis, exactly where is it that you live that Ginger brews are so popular?

Quidscribis, if memory serves, lives in Sri Lanka. I am answering your query, because, although she was quite a prolific poster, she kind of dropped off the 'rack back in the middle of April.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Elizabeth:
\

One of the Stone brews packs a very serious punch. Brain cramp right now, but make sure you look at the alcohol content.
\

I tink I kow the one you're talking about- the double bastard, or something likr that?
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Yes! I think that is the one. It knocked me on my bee-hind one night. I thought I was "just having a beer."
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I do not think I like beer.
But I bought some Chocolate Stout just because I can and I will taste it later after I eat and drink water.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
It's powerful stuff.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

I love beer. I love chocolate. I don't do chocolatey beer, though.
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. i am drinking beer ad so far my head doesn't hurt...
Yet.
But one pint of beer is waaaaaaaaaaay too much for me.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
The only beer I have yet enjoyed is Bell's Oberon, which I found in Michigan when I visited but I don't think is available here in Canada. Sucks for me. Oh well.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

I have not had Oberon, but a music friend brings a keg of it to festivals,and is a hero.
sarahdipity
Member # 3254

Hey Liz,

Have you tried out the Dirty Truth? It's the new bar in Noho that's owned by the M&D guy. But, it's all taps. We all like the M&D better, but it's pretty nice.

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

I heard about it, Sarah. I think we should go...

After a game of squash, of course!

BlueWizard
Member # 9389

- posted      Profile for BlueWizard   Email BlueWizard         Edit/Delete Post 
Just curious, has anyone every tried "Blanco e' Negro" which is a Mexican beer which translates loosely into 'White and Black'.

When I was much much much younger, a group of us were (sadly) in Boy's Town near Nueve Laredo and the waiter brought us some of this beer. As I recall it was very impressive. But never in my life did I encounter it again.

And for the record, I did not partake of the many earthly delights which can be found in Boy's Town.

Steve/BlueWizard

Posts: 803 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
As for Mexican beers, i love Bohemia and Negra Modelo (whats with the mixed genders?).
es Cervesa Negra, Tipo Modelo!
Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarahdipity
Member # 3254

I've tried it last time I was in Mexico.
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
My new favorite beer: Woodchuck Draft Cider.

The best part...it hardly tastes like beer. haha.

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

'Cause it's not.
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
They should stop selling it with the beer then. That or people should stop buying it for me when I ask for a beer.
Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.