FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What is your favorite beer? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: What is your favorite beer?
password
Member # 9105

- posted      Profile for password           Edit/Delete Post 
for those who like the darker stuff, McEwan's Scotch Ale is quite good... looks like diesl fuel, tastes wonderful.

For a while there was a retro-themed burger joint called "Rooty's" that made their own root beer and it was fantastic.... like liquid velvet.

Posts: 121 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Vonk, if you like Newcastle, I think you'd enjoy shiner bock.
yeah, i think i've had shiner, one or two or eighteen million times. i used to love it and drink nothing but, but after you start getting into the different kinds of beers, shiner doesn't really compare. the last time i was at the St. Arnolds Brewery (seriously, everyone try it now, call you local distributor and demand it) the Brewmaster was talking about shiner. apparently it isn't actually a bock, but a german style lager with food coloring. who knew.

i'm gonna have to print out this thread and take it to the local Spec's Warehouse and if they don't have the beers, i will make them order them.

i'm particularly interested in the Rogue Brewery, that Hazelnut Brown Ale sounds mighty yummy. I'd also like to check out Moose Drool, it's got a great name and if it can be classified with Guinness it's got to be good. I'll ask about the Stone Brewery too.

Mike - I agree, the Trippel is great, but it is hard to find around here.

As for Mexican beers, i love Bohemia and Negra Modelo (whats with the mixed genders?). i don't really like Corona at all. When i went down to Montere all of the street signs had a Carta Blanca logo on them, it was great. I heard that the guy that started the university there also started the beer company and funded most of the city works.

quote:
I found out this summer that Scotts actually look down on Newcastle, its like their Natty ice (or insert cruddy beer).
yeah, i've heard this too, from a british friend of mine. they apparently don't like it much over there. but it is made differently in both place to accord with the local alcohol laws, so it tastes different. when my british friend tried it in the states, he said it was much better.

golly i could talk about beer forever.

is anyone into homebrewing?

Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
BTW, I did a net search, and the Okicim Porter is back! It's only for export (sorry Kama, you can't get it in Poland itself). Stawski Imports, out of Chicago, is the current importer in the US. I recommend every try some of it, particularly if you like dark beers. Beer Advocate users have very favorable reviews of the Brew.

I also have to add that any of Harpoon's "100-Barrel" series is quite good.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
well technically, I am not in poland, so that is good news [Wink]

glad you found it though [Smile]

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, there are so many.

Stouts:
Guinness - obviously, but it's better if you get it in Ireland. Taaffe's Pub in Galway, specifically.

Orkney Dark Island - I've only seen it in bottles once, in NYC, but it was better on tap in Scotland.

Terminator X - A Portland, OR microbrew by the McMiniman Bros.

Heart of Darkness - Magic Hat Brewing Co., Vermont.

Sam Smith's Oatmeal Stout - Just good.

Ale-type-beers:
Fuller's ESB - An English import.

Belhaven Scottish Ale - A Scottish import, as you can tell by the name.

Circle Master Organic Ale - In this country, I think they call it Scarecrow. It's by Wychwood Brewery in England.

Sam Smith's Nut Brown Ale - For lovers of Newcastle, this is a must try.

Wheat Beer:
Hoegaarden - My first intro into weisbier, and it's still good.

Blue Moon - Another good staple.

Widmer Hefeweisen - From Porland, OR area.

(Lots of others, but their names are too hard to remember)

Miscellany:
Rogue Mocha Porter - The only chocolate-esque beer I like (it's great). By contrast, I hated Young's Double Choclate - tasted like baker's chocolate mixed with Guinness.

Sam Adams Winter Lager - Seasonal, but awesome. My roommate and I buy two cases at the end of the season to get us through White Ale and Summer Ale seasons to Octoberfest time.

Negra Modelo - Sit down in a good Mexican food restaurant, get a big Margarita and a Negra Modelo with it, and order yourself up some good eats. mmm....

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ophelia
Member # 653

- posted      Profile for Ophelia   Email Ophelia         Edit/Delete Post 
Franziskaner Weissbier is the best. But Erdinger is usually easier to find stateside, in my experience.

I enjoy Honeybrown, and Guinness.

And Killians or Corona will do if they're free.

Posts: 3801 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

ooh, i forgot to mention Honeybrown. It just tastes so darn good. good call Ophelia
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to like Honey Brown, but now it's seems too sweet.

Ophelia, I have seen Franziskaner around here. I'll have to try it.

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

I'm more with the "Killian and Honeybrown if they're free" mindset, and Corona only if it's free, it's cold, there's lime, and I'm outside on a sunny day.
Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

hell, if it's free i'll drink alcoholic piss. well maybe not, but free beer is good beer to me. i'd drink Steel Reserve if it were free, and if any of you have had that, you will know what i mean.
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
Hefeweizen! Pyramid if I can afford it, Henry Weinhardts(?) if not.

I find I like most mexican beers also. Though I haven't tried negra modelo yet. You put de lime in da beer and den you drink em both up.

Of the cheapie beers, I usually prefer budweiser. As long as you're not reaching down to the depths of the unholy trinity: Natural Ice, Miller High Life, and their infernal ringleader, PBR. Most anything else is fine.

Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Risuena
Member # 2924

- posted      Profile for Risuena   Email Risuena         Edit/Delete Post 
In principle I agree with free beer=good beer idea, however in practice it just doesn't work for me. I've had people buy me Corona or Beast or other beers that I refuse to spend money on and I still can't stand them.

I do remember that I once had Corona that was palatable - even good, but it doesn't really count since it was mixed with pureed fruit - mango and peach were the best.

Posts: 959 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
In the late summer and fall, when my chiles are ripe and fresh, I love to drop a slice of jalapeno in my beer. It tastes best with a cheap, light beer like Bud Lite.

Man is it good!

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
password
Member # 9105

henry weinhard's private reserve dark used to be my favorite cheap beer...

is it still under $3 a six pack?

Posts: 121 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

under $3 for a six pack! where do you live, heaven? the only thing around here that is anywhere near $3 a sixer is Old English.
Kristen
Member # 9200

- posted      Profile for Kristen   Email Kristen         Edit/Delete Post 
Does ANYBODY out here like non-alcoholic beers of the O'Douls variety? eg. the ones that are supposed to taste like beer?

I'm just curious. Never really understood the market as the beers, to me, don't even compare with mid-range alcoholic beer.

Posts: 484 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
password
Member # 9105

It's been a LONG time since I've seen Henry Weinhard's Private Reserve... like 15 years or so...
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
is anyone into homebrewing?
Only thing I know about homebrewing is from the Good Eats episode. Looks a little too involved for me. Though if you're interested there are tons of enthusiasts on rec.crafts.brewing.
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

thanks Mike. and from what i've heard, homebrewing isn't all that hard to get started in. It is just a matter of boiling a bunch of water and hops and barley extract for a while and then pouring it into a big steel contrainer, adding some yeast, and letting it sit. i met a guy that was big into homebrewing and that is how he said that he started. he may have been oversimplifying it a bit though.
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
Spotted Cow! One of few beers I'll drink, but I'm slowly trying more.
Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

Kristen, my father had a laryngectomy and was told he couldn't drink alcohol anymore (it posed some risk). He was an avid beer drinker (Budweiser, blegh, but he liked it).

He switched over to nonalcoholics and found Haake Beck and Kaliber to be the best.

vonk
Member # 9027

on the topic of beer: i am about to go to the first St. Arnolds Brewery Pub Crawl. I'm excited.

no one has mentioned St. Arnolds. I love them, please, someone else say that you know who they are... i'm begging you. and if you don't, go to your local Spec's warehouse and beg, nay, demand that they provide you with the best beer to come out of Houston for 12 years running.

Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
Guinness Stout, the beer that eats like a meal! [Smile]

And Red Hook ESB.

But honestly, I drink beer about twice a year.

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Kristen,
I liked Clausthaler.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
When I was in London I discovered "Guinnes Extra Cold" which is a thick version of guinness, with more flavor.

It was mighty powerful stuff.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
There are many good Mexican beers. Corona and Dos Equis are not among them.

-o-

Among pilsner beers, I like a Dominican beer called Presidente. I don't know if it's available where you live. They import it into areas with a lot of carribean latinos, like Florida and New York. The imported stuff is not quite as good as what you can get in the D.R., but it'll do.

Among ales, I like Bass, but only on draft. I can't stand it out of a bottle. I also like Killian's.

I like Guinness, but I don't go out of my way for it. I do like black velvets, though.

If I'm drinking inexpensive American beer, I prefer Michelob Light.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ctm
Member # 6525

- posted      Profile for ctm   Email ctm         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Christy:
Spotted Cow! One of few beers I'll drink, but I'm slowly trying more.

I love Spotted Cow!

For Ginger ale, I really like Reed's premium ginger brew.

Iron Horse root beer is good, too.

Posts: 239 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

Guinness Extra Cold, from what I remember from over there, was dreadful.. but the commercials were hysterical.

I would like to add Smithwicks Ale (pronounced Smiddicks) to the list, too. Glad they're finally importing it to the US.

Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
I love having a local like you around here, pH.

I'm not a big beer drinker because I drink white wines to relax and hard liqour to get drunk at parties. However, my boyfriend lives in Abita and has some hardcore pride when it comes to the local breweries. Since that's the only beer he'll let me drink in his presence (haha) I've developped a liking for it. Purple Haze is good and there's on other that I LOVE but I always forget what its called, I'll have to ask him. But I can say I've not tried one and not enjoyed it.

And yeah, lighter is better for me too.

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

quote:
Originally posted by Shanna:
I'm not a big beer drinker because I drink white wines to relax and hard liqour to get drunk at parties.

I know alcohol percentage is alcohol percentage, but it really isn't, is it?

I also have a glass of wine to relax. Even when I have significantly more than a glass, I am still mellow and relaxed, and tend to wax philosophic. (philosophical?)

Beer is more of a loud laughter kind of thing.

Tequila? You really don't want to know. Had to stop drinking that stuff.

Is there any real study of this? Of the effects of different types of alcohol? Is it a placebo effect? Do I thik wine is relaxing and mellow, so it makes me feel that way?

romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a big fan of IPAs, mostly. I also like Heffeweisens, ambers, and some of those fruity seasonal ales.

Faves are Stone's Ruination IPA, Elysian's Immortal IPA, and Pike's IPA and Kilt lifter.

Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

quote:
and from what i've heard, homebrewing isn't all that hard to get started in. It is just a matter of boiling a bunch of water and hops and barley extract for a while and then pouring it into a big steel contrainer, adding some yeast, and letting it sit. i met a guy that was big into homebrewing and that is how he said that he started. he may have been oversimplifying it a bit though.
You are. It has to be boiled for a certain length of time in such a way that it doesn't boil over (harder than it sounds). And wort isn't that fun to try and clean up off a hot stove. Then the hops have to be added at specific points during the boiling process for flavoring, aroma, etc.

Everything, and I mean everything, has to be completely cleaned and sanitized. Any dirt, bacteria, etc. that gets in could ruin the taste and you won't know about it til you try it several weeks later.

I haven't done it in a few years, but I'm considering starting back again. If you decide to start, find a place that sells the stuff and knows what they're doing. Find a place that will happily take your call when you have to ask something right in the middle of your first batch. Most places should do so because they love to get people into homebrewing.

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
So, not Wal-Mart?
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

zgator, I read to fast and read:

"You are to be boiled for a certain length of time..."

zgator
Member # 3833

Icarus, probably not. By the time they connected you to the right department and someone actually picked up, primary fermentation would probably be over.

Elizabeth, of course you are. If you're not boiled long enough, you might not be cooked thoroughly and give us some kind of food poisoning. We can't have that!

Squish
Member # 9191

- posted      Profile for Squish           Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I really like Red Stripe. And their commercials just seal the deal. Any type of Hefenweizen is good for me too.
Posts: 168 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Elizabeth:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Shanna:
[qb]

Is there any real study of this? Of the effects of different types of alcohol? Is it a placebo effect? Do I thik wine is relaxing and mellow, so it makes me feel that way?

I've been told it doesn't have a huge effect what kind of alchohol you drink, its the other stuff in the glass that changes the experience.

For instance wine also has other non-alchoholic agents, sulfers and different sugars, in it which are calming to some people. They make my eyes itch.

Its the same for hard alchohols and beers, the amount of sugar and other non-alchoholic elements is different, so the body metabolizes the whole thing at a slightly different rate. Its also harder to break down a big beer with 6% alchohol than it is to metabolize a shot of vodka, because vodka is more pure. Also for whatever reason, I've heard people's problems with tequila often stem from the way it gets broken down; it actually takes the body longer to metabolize it completely, so it "sneaks up" on the drinker.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

That makes a lot of sense. Thanks!
Celaeno
Member # 8562

- posted      Profile for Celaeno   Email Celaeno         Edit/Delete Post 
Guinness on tap in Ireland...yum. I also like Fat Tire. And if I'm going to drink Corona, I'll put li hing mui in it.

Least favorite beer? Beck's. Ech.

But really, I'm not a beer girl. I'd rather have a good cider or a mixed drink.

If we're drinking wine, I'll take New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc.

Posts: 866 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I really want to try my hand at homebrewing, but am a little nervous about getting started. anybody have any advice?
If you make a really dark beer, with a foamy top that looks like pepsi when it is in a tumbler, do not leave a glassful on the coffee table where an unsuspecting non-drinking relative might take a big swig.

quote:
Oh, yes, I was going to say: if you prefer the root variety, do yourself a favor and try Henry Weinhard's root beer. Sadly it's only available on the west coast.
Not so. It is available in Minnesota, but only in liquor stores, which means you can't buy it on Sundays.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
Thomas Kemper makes an awesome craft brewed root beer, too. Excellent with Tillamook Vanilla bean Ice cream.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinomen
Member # 9310

- posted      Profile for Tinomen   Email Tinomen         Edit/Delete Post 
I like :
Anchor Old Foghorn
Spaten Optimator
Chimay Blue
Sam Smith's Imperial Stout
Grimbergen Dark
Urthel Tripel
Sam Adams Cream Stout

Posts: 5 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

Tagging on to what Orincoro just said, Gin is made with juniper berries, which, like corn kernel skins, aren't as easily dealt with by the body.

That said, the alcohol from gin stays in your system longer without being sent through to the kidneys (and drinking lots of gin apparently gets built up in your system over a night), which supposedly can lead to worse hangovers.

Ser Bronn Stone
Member # 8759

- posted      Profile for Ser Bronn Stone   Email Ser Bronn Stone         Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite American beer is from the Anderson Valley Brewing Company in Hopland CA. Boont Amber Ale or Barney Flats Oatmeal Stout. Very delicious stuff.
Posts: 38 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Gin is NASTY.

It is especially nasty with Sprite.

Never, ever drink gin and Sprite, even if everyone else at the party is already drunk because they finished off all of the liquor before you got there.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarahdipity
Member # 3254

- posted      Profile for sarahdipity   Email sarahdipity         Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite beer is Duchess de Bourgogne.

My nextdoor neighbor has been teaching me about homebrewing. We've made cider, 5-6 different beers, and some mead.

Posts: 872 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Palliard
Member # 8109

- posted      Profile for Palliard   Email Palliard         Edit/Delete Post 
Skittlebrau!

http://www.glossynews.com/artman/publish/skittlebrau.shtml

Posts: 196 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I changed my mind. I think. I really like the NCAAle I had at a local brewery tonight - enough so that I may, in fact, title it my favourite beer.
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Sarah, I am on vacation this week, and the Moan and Dove is calling...

Wanna go?

I stopped in last night with a friend, but it was too crowded, there were no seats, and it was all collegiate.

We felt...old.

Zeugma
Member # 6636

- posted      Profile for Zeugma   Email Zeugma         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Sarah! Flemish reds are a pretty unusual choice for a favorite beer! [Big Grin] Have you tried Rodenbach, Echt Kriekenbier, or Zoetzuur? The first two have started to show up in our local distributors in the last 6 months, and if you like the Duchess... [Smile]
Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.