FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » JJ Abrams, the Lost and Alias creator, set to resurrect Star Trek? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: JJ Abrams, the Lost and Alias creator, set to resurrect Star Trek?
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How cool would this be?

quote:
Project, to be penned by Abrams and "MI3" scribes Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci, will center on the early days of seminal "Trek" characters James T. Kirk and Mr. Spock, including their first meeting at Starfleet Academy and first outer space mission."

I am so giddy! I miss the good ‘ol days when I felt magic in Star Trek. I hope Abrams can pull it off. I just need to come to terms that no director can recapture my youthful wonder, but hopefully he can do the series good.

Pros: It has Spock
Cons: It is the 11th movie. I have found that the even movies are "ok" to "good" while the odd number movies are horrible.

I also learned in the article that Abrams directed Mi3. I planned to boycott it because of Tom Cruise and Southpark and I am not a fan of the series, but I want to support Abrams.

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the idea of Abrams doing it. I don't like the plot. George Lucas killed Star Trek singlehandedly by introducing the idea of prequels.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, the plot sucks. I want to see what neat things they'll come up with in the future, past the last series.

But then, I don't want another movie. I want another series. I have liked each one, and I don't care if other people hated them. I enjoyed Voyager, and Enterprise, and what I've seen of DS9. TNG was great, of course. The original series was cool, too--but probably my least favorite.

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anti-Chris
Member # 4452

- posted      Profile for Anti-Chris           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But... it's not Spock. There is no Spock outside of Leonard Nemoy. Not even a digital Leonard Nemoy. ESPECIALLY not a digital Leonard Nemoy.

Enterprise, by the way, was a good series and idea for the most part (it had its crappy moments just like the other series), just poorly marketed.

You planned to boycot the movie because of SouthPark, or because of the episode of South Park with Tom Cruise in it?

Posts: 530 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I thought Nemesis wasn't that great, and it was even. Maybe due to a space-time anomaly, Nemesis was actually made after this upcoming movie, and therefore was odd while this one will be even?
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the movie will suck simply because it's a prequel. It's like they're admitting right from the start that they don't have any original ideas and want to float the movie solely on its existing fanbase.
Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anti-Chris
Member # 4452

- posted      Profile for Anti-Chris           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't see why anyone thinks that Nemesis was an even numbered movie. You had Star Trek: Generations (7). You had First Contact (8) and then Nemesis (9). Nemesis was an odd numbered movie.
Posts: 530 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm so not interested.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Seatarsprayan
Member # 7634

- posted      Profile for Seatarsprayan   Email Seatarsprayan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I actually liked Insurrection the best of the TNG movies. Not that I liked it that much, it was basically just a long episode.
Posts: 454 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What about Insurrection?
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

quote:
You planned to boycot the movie because of SouthPark, or because of the episode of South Park with Tom Cruise in it?
I planned to boycott because Tom Cruise threatened to pull advertising Mi3 from Comedy Central over if the Southpark episode about scientology got aired. To be fair, Tom was probably justified. It still irked me.
Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The fact that Abrams is involved is a good thing, but I'm not really that interested in the Kirk era, even the beginning of it. I'd be interested in seeing something completely original, with new characters, set in the Star Trek universe. If they feel like they have to use characters from one of the shows, what about revisiting the lives of some of the DS9 crew?

I realize that they're trying to drum up interest by using some of the Star Trek universe's best known and loved characters, but I've seen enough of them. There is a decent chance that I'll Netflix this movie eventually, and if it gets rave reviews I'll bump it to the top of my queue, but that's about it.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anti-Chris
Member # 4452

quote:
Originally posted by TheTick:
What about Insurrection?

Insurrwhat now? What are you talking about?
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Insurrection is 9, Nemesis is 10.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd like to see a Star Trek series that doesn't involve high-ranking characters. A series with grunts or something would be nice.

Oh and can anyone explain Chief O'Brien's rank to me? I can't quite figure out why a man with his age, expertise and experience seems to have a really low rank.

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Primal Curve:
I'd like to see a Star Trek series that doesn't involve high-ranking characters. A series with grunts or something would be nice.

Oh and can anyone explain Chief O'Brien's rank to me? I can't quite figure out why a man with his age, expertise and experience seems to have a really low rank.

He is enlisted. Never went to the Academy.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nevermind, I looked it up. Silliness.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anti-Chris
Member # 4452

What is this Insurrection you are talking about? I don't remember that movie. It's like you're talking about something that doesn't exist.
Stephan
Member # 7549

quote:
Originally posted by Anti-Chris:
What is this Insurrection you are talking about? I don't remember that movie. It's like you're talking about something that doesn't exist.

I can't quite tell if you hated the movie and are being sarcastic or not.
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

I can tell. He's being intentially obtuse.

It's only mildly amusing, however.

aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
StarTrekXI: Alias Aliens Lost in Space
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

Its a shame they never managed to pull off a continuous story line with TNG in the movies.
2-5 flowed together so well.

Primal Curve
Member # 3587

5? Star Trek V: Shatner's Masturbation is part of a story arc?
Stephan
Member # 7549

quote:

Well, ok, it wasn't the best movie. But it did sort of pickup immediately after 4 ended.
Anti-Chris
Member # 4452

quote:
I can tell. He's being intentially obtuse.

It's only mildly amusing, however.

Which is more that what I was hoping for.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's more than actually happened.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not sure what I actually think about another prequel revival of ST. I don't watch either Lost or Alias, and so I am completely unfamiliary with Abrams' work; I will, however, see MI:3, and so will have a better idea of what his directing style is about. AICN says that MI:3 doesn't suck. I agree surprisingly often with AICN, so I'm not terribly worried.

And PC - you need to stop making me laugh so hard. "Shatner's Masturbation," indeed. [Big Grin]

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I'd be interested in seeing something completely original, with new characters, set in the Star Trek universe.
Ooh! They should make New Frontiers into a movie. that would be awesome!
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not familiar with New Frontiers. What is it?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Novel series by Peter David with original characters in the Star Trek universe. Excellent.
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

What would you compare David's work to, in terms of quality of writing?
Shigosei
Member # 3831

Whoops, I guess it's "New Frontier."

Most of the characters are unique to the series, though there are a few (Elisabeth Shelby, Robin Lefler, Dr. Selar) who were on TNG for only an episode or two. The people are interesting and complex, the writing is a little offbeat and witty, and the captain of the ship is extremely clever. It's fun watching him outwit his enemies. I highly recommend the series.

Noemon
Member # 1115

I'll give it a try.
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OOh! The only ST books I bother reading are Peter David, but I haven't picked one up in so long.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

quote:
So how about you pony up and pay for a new keyboard since I sprayed this one with a mouthfull of diet coke?! [No No] [ROFL]
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why must there be more Star Trek? Can't Paramount just say, "Hey, we had a pretty good run, so let's quit before we totally trash the Star Trek universe"?
Posts: 9944 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Where's the money in that?
andi330
Member # 8572

- posted      Profile for andi330           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheTick:
What about Insurrection?

Insurrection was 9. Nemisis was 10.
Posts: 1214 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

Jon Boy: Hold the 'shift' key down. Press the '4' key repeatedly.

Edit: Gah, Porter beat me to it.

andi330
Member # 8572

Note to self. Read the whole thread before responding.
Posts: 1214 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andi330
Member # 8572

I actually like the idea of the early years story line. It's something that hasn't really been explored even in the novels.

The only think I'm doubtful about is getting my head around the idea that Leonard Nimoy and William Shatner won't be playing the characters.

Shigosei
Member # 3831

I bet that will work out fine.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

I have no more problem having others than Nimoy and Shatner playing those characters than I do watching somebody other than Flyn play Robin Hood.
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
they should wait for Stargate season 10 to end.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andi330
Member # 8572

If it's out in 2008, SG1 season 10 will be over.
Damien.m
Member # 8462

- posted      Profile for Damien.m   Email Damien.m         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I want a Voyager Movie!!! I liked TNG but as i was only a small child when it aired i never really loved it, only watched the repeats untill i had seen most of them but never with much dedication...more in a oh TNGs on kind of way...Voyager first aired when i was seven or eight and i watched every episode from start to finish...I grew up with that programme... and now I WANT MORE!!!!

As fo the original...meh...ive seen like six episodes...Ill only watch the movie for Abrams....

Posts: 243 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, I do not think this movie is a good idea for a number of reasons:

First of all, Nemesis and Enterprise are still going cold in their coffins. The interest in Star Trek is very low because of this- there is very little enthusiasm. Unless it's an incredible movie, I don't think the money is going to be very good because of this from the very beginning.

Problem number two (perhaps a solvable one) is about the kind of stories people seem to be presently wanting to hear. Firefly, Battleship Galactica and Lost are all bitter universes where ideology is a bit lost and most of the characters have dark pasts and futures. Star Trek, is, almost by defintion, an ideal universe were the main characters pretty much always have the moral highgroud. Someone said they would be more interested in a show about the grunts and I think this is a symptom of this. At the moment, we're not particularly interested in the future being idyllic (and even Enterprise was annoyingly idyllic)- we want to see people live in the moral grey area.

My third issue links to the last one. If you are going to try and find this kind of amorality or modern interest in your characters, you probably shouldn't try to do it with (and to) characters who already exist. You risk making them totally unconnected to their later selves and you also risk losing fans through subverting their favourite character.

If they're going to try this, and they must do it Right Now, I think that it should be characters- perhaps who come into contact with Spock and Kirk, etc., but who can go (ahem, excuse me) boldly where no Star Trek characters have gone before.

(sorry about that)

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hrmph, I'm missing some ST movies... I only have 7 on the shelf. Must catalogue...

That said, I thought I'd read that "they" were going to let ST sit untouched for a few years before attempting another movie or series. The storylines seem to have veered dramatically from the original mission, and I think that "they" wanted to put some space between what's already been done and try to more or less start fresh.

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Voyager and Enterprise were both junk because they had so many unlikable or boring characters. Star Trek is a purely character driven show. The various scrapes and encounters are pretty interchangeable, we have to care about the characters for the show to be worth anything.

With that in mind, the idea of a prequel movie just might work, as we already know Kirk and Spock are excellent characters. If the writer, director, and actors can make them as interesting as they were in the show and movies, it might be worth watching.

Personally, I think they should resurrect Firefly instead.

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But wasn't Enterprise supposed to BE the prequel to TOS? I'm not sure how much more prequel they can get without getting (dangerously?) close to actual history and current events. How much timeline si there between First Contact and Enterprise?
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.