FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hatrack Fantasy Football 2006 league on Yahoo! (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Hatrack Fantasy Football 2006 league on Yahoo!
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
Give it a chance. I think you’ll be presently surprised.
Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
Jay, the only thing the scoring changes is how well each player does. I think most of us are all used to the standard system and we know how well players do under that system. Changing the scoring means changing which players are better than others, and I'm not not sure how. It's not like new scoring makes it more fun, they get their points and there's nothing we can do about it. New scoring can only confuse us.

I'm going to make a league now that uses standard everything the way the people who use regular leagues are used to it. I think I might throw in a live draft and just check if you think you'd be able to make it and if not you can either import your pre-draft rankings or let it run by itself, or not even join if you don't want to be in two leagues. No pressure, this will just be kind of the unofficial league and we can decide next year which one we like more. I'll start a new thread when it's done.

Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

Darn, I just realized it's too late to have a live draft. Ok forget that idea. Jay, I hope you change our scoring system back to regular before the season starts.
Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
orlox
Member # 2392

- posted      Profile for orlox           Edit/Delete Post 
Orediggers, Solar Hawks, Soaps team, Goodie Scrivners, lowndes, Brillo Bombers, and Zealots all have serious problems with their defences. Even launchies and Paradigm may have some problems. (Apologies for any name/capitalization errors)

I understand Jay's thinking about all this and don't mind myself. But a good commissioner has to facilitate the league he has, and this league doesn't seem ready for IDP defences.

Posts: 675 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
graywolfe
Member # 3852

- posted      Profile for graywolfe   Email graywolfe         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not concerned. If I (The Choking Paradigm) don't make the playoffs I'll blame it on the scoring system [Big Grin] [Wink] .
Posts: 752 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
orlox
Member # 2392

Your only problem is Boulware.
Posts: 675 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
VelourMan
Member # 8524

- posted      Profile for VelourMan   Email VelourMan         Edit/Delete Post 
Kwea (Brillo's Bombers), posting from VM's computer. [Big Grin]

I have no defense, but I look pretty good on offence. [Big Grin]

Posts: 10 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Upgraded my defence....as in I figured out how to fill the three open slots I had on my starters list. [Big Grin]

My offence is pretty good. I got Alexander and Dunn at RB, Gates at TE, Culpepper at QB, and three medium level WR's. No big names there at WR, or on defense.

Got a good kicker...too bad the points system rapes kickers though. [Frown]

I have Benson at RB, from Chicago, so if he ends up healthy that could be a plus as well, and I picked up several NE WR's in case Branch keeps whining.

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
VelourMan
Member # 8524

- posted      Profile for VelourMan   Email VelourMan         Edit/Delete Post 
Kwea, posting on VM's computer again....

WOW. I suck.

S. Alexander sucks too! He COST me .65 points, and that was against Detroit. WIthout him I am humped.

Two of my defensive players didn't even play. [Frown]

L. Coles had a monster day though, as did Dunn. [Big Grin] Bruce did well too.

Alexander really hurt me though. [Frown] My KICKER got more points than he did!

Hell, the benched players all did, for that matter. [Wink]

Posts: 10 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to escape this week. I'm stupid, I totally forgot I was going to bench Favre against the Chicago D. I find it hilarious that Jeff Wilkins was my highest scoring player. I'd like to see more from LJ but I can't fault Reggie Bush, I feel better seeing him getting all those touches.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

I just upgraded my defence again, and if Alexander and Gates show up this week I should have a great week. [Big Grin]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
graywolfe
Member # 3852

I just giggled at people predicting I'd lose in week one [Wink] . Yeah, a little self-agrandizing perhaps, but I usually save my losses for one in midseason, one in the end of the season and a colossal choke job in the playoff. I worked my opponent [Big Grin] , nearly doubling them up in total points.
Posts: 752 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

Man, I can't believe Delhomme, Chad Johnson, Carnell Williams, and Corey Dillon combined for about 12 points. That's ridiculous. I'm so pissed, I so should've won that game, and would've if I would've started Byron Leftwich instead of Delhomme.
graywolfe
Member # 3852

Hmmmmm, looking good atop the standings so far, as predicted, though it's only two weeks. Don't worry folks, I call my squad the Choking Paradigm for a reason, because it always comes through, usually in spectacularly horrific fashion.
TheTick
Member # 2883

I feel your pain, Gaal. I only needed a few measly points from Hines Ward to win my game this week...
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
orlox
Member # 2392

[Evil Laugh]
SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

- posted      Profile for SoaPiNuReYe           Edit/Delete Post 
IMO the scoring shoulda have been the way the nfl fantasy leagues do it, but I'm not making excuses or anything. ^^
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

Delhomme is going to lose his starting job to Leftwich if he doesn't start performing when Smith gets back. Leftwich has more than triple Delhomme's points.
Kwea
Member # 2199

I have Cole, Gates, Alexander, and Dunn.

Too bad only two of them showed up this season. And NOT the two the "experts" were predicting.

I was going to play Rivers at QB since Culpepper is not doing well at all, but this would be his bye week. [Frown]

I am 2-0, and that is without half my team scoring points. Or at least not scoring even half as well as they are suppose to...

And with Culpepper as QB.

graywolfe
Member # 3852

Very lucky this week, got crazy busy thursday-friday and forgot to set my lineup or replace bye week issues with three or four guys and still squeaked out a win. That was a real close call.

Weird sunday games, still annoyed noone in the media is talking about my redskins, they loved piling on when we clearly sucked in weeks 1 and 2, but come up with a win against a team thought to be the best in the league a week ago, and nada in the media. Quite annoying.

TheTick
Member # 2883

Still rollin'. Thank you Larry Johnson, for finally getting on the board.
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

I'm kind of suprised that Whipsmarts accepted the offer. He said he wanted to trade S. Smith and I offered Chad Johnson just to get some talking going because I was interested in Smith (having Delhomme and all) and then he accepted. I guess with the injury you could say Chad Johnson may have a better season, but I like Smith. Who did you all think the trade benefited more? It was a 1-for-1 same position trade so all that will matter is who scores more points by the end of the season.
orlox
Member # 2392

I figured they were about equal but Chad already had his bye while Steve's is week 9. So that puts you a whole game's worth of scoring behind.

Also, Chad is due for a good game and I may well trade him again.

I'm still looking for that blockbuster trade. I am stunned that no one seems seriously interested in Westbrook who is scoring double most rbs.

orlox
Member # 2392

And, Steve plays the Ravens this week.
orlox
Member # 2392

Steve trashed the Ravens. [Cry]

I just have such a hard time understanding how a guy his size can be so dominant. But if the Ravens can't deal, I'll have to start believing.

Just one week too late.

Sopwith, again
Member # 9457

- posted      Profile for Sopwith, again   Email Sopwith, again         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I've got to say, the scoring system sucks. LT gets four (4!) touchdowns and I net 17.75 points for it???!!!???

71 yards on the ground, 64 in the air, four touchdowns and 17.75 points????

Posts: 45 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

Ugh. Stupid snowstorm, again. Can't check from work (blocked), from home (no power) or from the in-laws (no phone line dial-up losers).
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

The scoring system seems to benefit yards more than touchdowns for RBs. I think that's decent. I wish I would've figured that out before the draft though.

This weeks was crazy though. Soo many high scoring players. Almost 25 players broke 10 points (which is kind of alot for this league).

graywolfe
Member # 3852

quote:
Originally posted by graywolfe:

...As for the rest of the teams:

Fellow contenders in my view are Zealots, Foundation, Whipsmart, Civic Mindend and Goody's. Foundation lacks IDP strength, Whipsmart has no proven WR's (though nearly all have upside) Goody's lacks any kind of talent at IDP, Civic Minded has a lot of strength but does have worries at RB (relying on Green and Bush for help is iffy, Packers look awful and Bush wont get enough touches) and QB, lastly Sopwith has tremendous IDP's and LT2 and that might be enough to make the playoffs, Ketchup has great Defense as well and Carson Palmer but is that enough? Lastly Ender has nothing at IDP, and that could kill him, particularly if Rhodes loses out to Addai.

Should be interesting to see what happens, barring major injury I shouldn't have much trouble making the playoffs, and I believe the same for Zealots, Whismart, Goody's, Civic Minded and probably Foundation. The rest? Not sure. Good luck all. Will listen to offers btw.

Well my predictions were that I'd be dominant, and that Whipsmart, Goodys, Civic Minded, Zealots, and Foundation would also have great seasons.

So how does it look halfway through the season?

me: 7-0 and on my way to another great win. Just trying to figure out how I'll choke my way to a loss this year.

Whipsmart: 6-1 and on their way to 7-1

Zealots: 1-6 and on their way to 1-7, ouch, I was wrong about them, wonder why?

Goodies: 1-6 and possibly a winner this week considering they're 3 behind and have C. Taylor going. Dead wrong about this squad for now.

Foundation: 6-1 and on their way to 7-1, I was right about them.

Civic Minded 4-2, and after this week probably 2nd in points overall after leading going into this week. Darn fine team as expected.

Last team I was dead wrong about: Launchies, I just didn't see that coming at all. Definitely didn't and they are way better than I expected.

Will be interesting to see who wins it all. Will I fail, for the fourth consecutive year, to bring home a title despite having one of the two or three best teams in the league? Probably. Who will win it all? Some underdog out there. Maybe Civic, with his point producing factory that's been a bit unlucky, maybe someone else, maybe launchies who I never even mentioned, or maybe even one of the teams that nobody notices right now. It should be interesting. Good luck to all.

Kwea
Member # 2199

Lets not forget my team....Brillo's Bombers didn't even get a mention in either post. If Alexander had scored any points at all before getting hurt, and at the beginning of the season who thought he wouldn't have, I would have been a lot better off then I am.

I have had two weeks where I had at least 4 players on a bye week at a time, so most of my squad will be playing for the rest of the season, and Alexander should be back next week. Gates is finally hitting on all cylinders, and Coles is having a great year, as is Dunn.

I really upgraded my defense, as it was the weakest part of my team. Not a whole lot of anything special, but some good players with some good numbers.

And now I have a computer connection again, which means I can monitor my team again on a regular basis, something I haven't been able to do for a month now. [Big Grin]

TheTick
Member # 2883

Wow, I'm 4-2? I've only been able to change my lineup once since the big snowstorm.
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

I hate Carnell Williams. That aside, my team played excellent the past few weeks with the exception of this week.

The weird thing is, 3 weeks ago I think I was #4. I've won every game since, putting up alot of points (with the exception of this week, again) and yet it still looks like I'm going to drop down a spot below Civic [Roll Eyes] [Wink] .

And if this teams were real, I think I'd have the best passing game in the league. My receivers are all great and all are good at different things. Smith being the deep threat and go-to-guy. Plaxico Burress is the big, tall, jump-ball receiver, and Houshmandzadeh is just a great all-around receiver and the red-zone target. And Cooley is a very good TE. Who here has a better receiving core if it were real life?

graywolfe
Member # 3852

Shaun Alexander is killing me to Kwea. My brother and I run 3 money teams together along with the multiple money teams we run apart and we had one team land the first pick overall. We tried like made to trade down to #2 or #3 overall but no one would bite. We never, ever wanted that #1 overall because we couldn't decide between Johnson, LT2, and Alexander. In the end we decided to look at worst case scenario's. LJ loses Saunders and at least one and maybe two superb linemen, LT2 has had awful stretch runs for the two or three years running (for him), and also had a rookie QB. Shaun lost his All Pro Guard Hutch. Who to take? We agonized for a week and then felt that Alexander had the least downsize. Since becoming a starter he'd been a top 5 or so back every season, and didn't have a rookie QB, or the problems LJ had to overcome. So we went with Alexander. And boom, our season went instantly into the crapper. The last nail in the coffin was seeing every one of the elite pass catchers go before our 2/3 turn pick (Harrison, Johnson, S. Smith, T. Owens, R. Moss, and Gates all off the board) and so we took C. Chambers and Kevin Jones at the turn. Every last second and third tier WR was gone at the 4/5 turn so we grabbed Carson Palmer and plugged our nose while taking Joe Horn.

Season over.

Very depressing. Last night I practically jumped off a bridge when the vikes couldn't get a single FG and extra point, 2 field goals, or anything from their kicker and offense. I was trailing in my last money league I had a player going in 123-119. All I needed was two field goals from longwell, or an extra point and a field goal to win. I got neither and lost. Uggh. Nothing more aggravating then this game. Why oh why did i have to be playing bears defense, ravens defense and desmond clark with nearly every one of my teams this week?

The most painful thing? Perhaps the fact that last week after losing to a guy named Blue Star 140-114, my brother plays the same guy and wins 89-68.

Fantasy football really is 50% skills and smart, and 50% colossal luck.

Good luck to all, trust me, my team will find a way to choke this year like I do every year, someone will surprise with a win this year. Just not sure who.

Kwea
Member # 2199

I have Gates AND Alexander, and only scored about 40 points this week. I sat Troy Brown and Rodney Harrison, and that cost me the game, as Coles had a bad game and so did Rolle.

I also have Culpepper, but Rivers has turned out to be a godsend. Comparatively speaking, of course. [Wink]

GaalDornick
Member # 8880

*Dances* I beat the top team!

I'm really suprised I won. I didn't have Steve Smith, my best player, Plaxico, Delhomme, though Garrard stepped it up, and Carnell only scored a point and a quarter. And my two backup WRs combined for exactly one point. Meanwhile, his WRs went off on me and Jackson had a sick game. I don't know how I won, but I'm glad I did. [Big Grin]

Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Dear Tom Brady,

I hate you. But I still think you're hot.

Sincerely,

A Fan Whose First Fantasy Win You Screwed Up

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
B34N
Member # 9597

- posted      Profile for B34N   Email B34N         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, not Tom's best outing...but on his behalf his recievers kind of let him down and tipped balls really killed him.

Don't feel bad I lost my first one for the season???? Who would of thought with a bunch of Cowboys...and who would've guessed that Tony Romo would have scored higher than Manning in any week of the season???

* edited cause I can't spell *

Posts: 871 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

11 points....from my KICKER? And not Rackers, but Stover, who I had only picked up to cover Rackers bye week?

LOL

GaalDornick
Member # 8880

6 of the top 7 teams are playing each other. Should be a crazy week.
Kwea
Member # 2199

I am in a close race this week. It should have been a bowout, but RIvers had a horrible day. He gave away a touchdown for me by letting his RB throw it!

He was negitive .63 for me.

And my backup, who I didn't play (Harrington), scored over 11 pts!

I am less than 3 pts down, with 2 players playing tonight....and if Alexander has a good game, I could still win.

We each have 2 players playing tonight, so this should be fun! [Smile]

Kwea
Member # 2199

Well, in this wonderful scoring system we have, I think Alexander got 10 points...for 201 yards rushing.

Woodson got 2 int, and between him and Alexander have a great night I think I squeeked out a win tonight.

Next week should be tough as well, with Soap and I playing almost dead even....and have identical records going into the last game of our season, before playoffs.

[Big Grin]

Kwea
Member # 2199

Well, I am winning....for now. Too bad Soap has half of Carolina on his team. [Smile] 5 of his players play tonight, and he should be able to to get at least another 20 points from them and beat me.

I have a question....since it looks like Solar Hawks won already, that places my team ans Solar Hawks in a 2 way tie for the last playoff spot at 7-6. However, I beat them in the regular season, I think the very first week.

Who gets the last playoff spot?

I, of course, think it should be me. [Smile] [Wink]

Kwea
Member # 2199

This is bullshit.

Solar Hawks has the same record that I do...and I beat them the first week, so I win a tiebreak, right?

Wrong.

Jay, this league sucked from day one. I told you it would, and you blew everyones objections off and patted us on the head and said it would be fine.

It sucks, and this just proves it. -2.50 from a kicker? 10 points for a 200+ running game?

Next time I will set up a league, with standard rules. I will probably still suck at it, but at least I won't use some BS format my friends uses, and no one else knows about.

graywolfe
Member # 3852

Well as predicted, it looks like I'm gonna choke. Despite steam rolling everyone left and right, I've now puked up a pair of losses in the last three or four games and am ready to collapse in the playoffs as per always. God it's frustrating, first place the entire year essentially than flush it the last week of the season. Lovely. Even worse of my 9 money league teams, 5 missed the playoffs, and four of the five missed them by finishing one slot out of contention. Why in the heck did I trade FWP in every league I owned him in as a keeper? What colossal stupidity [Frown] . At least I built the majority of my keeper teams for big runs in '07 and '08. That i can hang my hat on.
orlox
Member # 2392

It is rare to find someone so committed to predestination these days. No point in even dressing a team for the playoffs then, I accept your concession with deep ironic humility.
orlox
Member # 2392

FWP?
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Kwea:
This is bullshit.

Solar Hawks has the same record that I do...and I beat them the first week, so I win a tiebreak, right?

Wrong.

Jay, this league sucked from day one. I told you it would, and you blew everyones objections off and patted us on the head and said it would be fine.

It sucks, and this just proves it. -2.50 from a kicker? 10 points for a 200+ running game?

Next time I will set up a league, with standard rules. I will probably still suck at it, but at least I won't use some BS format my friends uses, and no one else knows about.

Word.
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

I didn't like the scoring system either. I guess next year we'll have a new commissioner?

But at just happy that I'm in the playoffs though [Big Grin] .

Btw, ok graywolfe, you want to haer a true choking story?

Last year I did a Fantasy Basketball league with 12 friends and a $10 buy in. 2nd place gets money back, 1st place takes the rest. I finished the league as the 1st seed. I go to the semifinals, the last game which I have to win to be guarenteed at least my money back and I start crushing the other team. He slowly makes a comeback and ends up beating my by 1 freaking assist! In baketball it goes by categories and he only beat me in 1 extra category and he had 1 more assist then me and 2 more steals. So if my team would've gotten two extra assists throughout the entire week I would've won. I went through a whole year dominating and then lost the only game that mattered by 1 assist. And I would've won the finals game too. $110 lost on 1 freaking assist!!

SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

- posted      Profile for SoaPiNuReYe           Edit/Delete Post 
The scoring system literally caused me to stop paying attention to this league [Frown] no offense.
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

It's all good. Next year will be better.

And the scoring system will be standard. I may keep the individual defensive players, as that was fun, but the rest will be a standard setting league.

Jay, thanks for trying. I know you meant well, and I am glad you convinced me to play, but it just didn't work well. As we thought in the beginning.

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.