FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Fabled definitions: A game (Page 1)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Fabled definitions: A game
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
My mother-in-law started me on these.

Take a simple common saying, and repeat it in such a was as other will have difficulty understanding it.

ie:

Posit: When the matriarch resides in a non-humorous state, the entirety of the household is similary emotionally challenged.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
no. 6
Member # 7753

- posted      Profile for no. 6           Edit/Delete Post 
When Mom's unhappy, everyone's unhappy.

Gastronomically challenged in the first person.

Posts: 410 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
(I have no idea what gastronomically means but I have played this game with song titles, and it is oh so amusing! Was especially with hip-hop and death metal song titles... hehe)
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
There's no accounting for taste.

Meteorology, though a common topic of conversation, is rarely the subject of practical action.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
We can talk about the weather all day long, but we can't change it.

Missing items are invariably found in the ultimate location examined.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Edgehopper
Member # 1716

- posted      Profile for Edgehopper   Email Edgehopper         Edit/Delete Post 
It's always in the last place you look.

When pulling thread through fabric, do so with the proper speed, lest you multiply your efforts by ten.

Posts: 170 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
A stitch in time saves nine. But I don't unerstand the "in the first person" part.

I'm processing a new one.

The pulchritude of this object is constituted in lacking any apparent function.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
Form over function

The thing to which you refer will not happen except of course when the home of our Dark Lord, the Morning Star, becomes encrusted in the solid manifestation of the combination of that chemical that you breath to live and that chemical that is used to make certain kinds of highly destructive bombs.

Edit: because the H is H2O stands for hydrogen, not helium, as any idiot knows. [Wall Bash]

Also, I think that my interpretation of pooka's fits perfectly well thank you very much Lisa, and I don't care if I'm wrong [Razz]

[ August 23, 2006, 11:29 AM: Message edited by: vonk ]

Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
When Hell freezes over. (though, I hope you don't have Hydrogen balloons at birthday parties... unless the kid's name is Hindenberg)

When initial efforts produce unsatisfactory results, it becomes necessary to adjust and repeat efforts until success can be achieved.

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

When hell freezes over.

And pooka's was "That's the beauty of it. It doesn't do anything". <grin>

The period commencing with either birth or conception, depending on ones convictions in that regard, and ending with cessation of all bodily functions or at the very least cessation of brain stem activity, can be compared to a female of genus canus, subsequent to which, all bodily functions do cease.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

Oops. If at first you don't succeed, try, try again.
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

Life's a bitch and then you die.

The ability to condense one's vebiage into a minimum quantity of language units, commonly referred to as words and phrases, is the ephemeral essence residing deep within the core of linguistic expression of humorous design.

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Brevity is the soul of wit.

Should you find yourself unable to thrash your companions soundly, you might instead follow in their path.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

The essence of life is that of a female dog, followed at some interval by the end of said life.

Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
someone already did "life's a b*tch and then you die"

"Bordom begets mischief" (Mine is better than the original =P )

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

Idle hands are the devil's plaything.

Avians of similar plummage congregate according to said similarity.

Seatarsprayan
Member # 7634

- posted      Profile for Seatarsprayan   Email Seatarsprayan         Edit/Delete Post 
Birds of a feather flock together.

Her hypothalamus will continue to produce high levels of endorphins until such time as her male parental unit removes the vehicle from her possession.

Posts: 454 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
She'll have fun fun fun till her daddy takes the t-bird away.

When threatened or confused, ambulate in a consistant radius from a fixed point while vocalizing loudly.

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

When in danger or in doubt
Run in circles; scream and shout.

Independent of your location, you may be found at that location.

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Wherever you go there you are?

The compatability of those 2 individuals is such that is could be likened unto pisum sativum and daucus carota.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

They go together like peas and carrots.

Propel, propel, propel your craft, lightly down the liquid solution. Ecstatically, ecstatically, ecstatically, ecstatically, existence is but a delusion.

Lisa
Member # 8384

Peas and carrots? I've never heard that. I've heard of two peas in a pod, but...
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Lisa: Watch Forest Gump [Smile]

Flying Cow: trying to figure yours out.

edit: row row row your boat gently down the stream, merrily merrily merrily merrily life is but a dream.

Failure to comply results in a less than desireable, for you, outcome.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

Lisa: Only place I ever heard it was in Forrest Gump. But then, you instantly got my "Scream and Shout" one and I was afraid that was too obscure.

FC: Row Row Row Your boat gently down the stream, merrily merrily merrily merrily life is but a dream.

Said activity resembles driving a two wheeld personal conveyance.

Dan_raven
Member # 3383

Thats as easy as riding a bike.

It is contra-indicated to enumerate your poultry before they have breached their embryotic containment unit.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't count your chickens before they hatch.

The length of time prior to the disclosure of the veracity of any disputed article is of limited duration

Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
Failure to comply results in a less than desireable, for you, outcome.

Resistence is futile?
Lisa
Member # 8384

The truth will out. Or time will tell.

Possession of a single avian has the same marginal utility as two of the same genus arborally situated.

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

A bird in hand is worth two in a bush

----

Bestow upon me a discontinuity!

Lisa
Member # 8384

Gimme a break.

To venture with courage and fortitude into regions previously ventured into by any member of homo sapiens.

Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
To boldly go where no man has gone before!

We come at last to the crux of the matter, for this is where the difficulty makes itself known.

Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
To Boldly go where no man has gone before.

We should therefore turn and meet the melody, aftewards proceeding to move in a rhythmic pattern together.

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

Wow. I'm doubly stumped.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by starLisa:
Wow. I'm doubly stumped.

I'm glad I am not the only one.
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

we should face the music and.... dance together???

I'm gonna go on anyway if no one has objections...

Given a millinial existance of the rule of the anglo-saxons over this and associated land, this time will be refered to by peoples of the future as their best.

Dan_raven
Member # 3383

Strike three, I'm out, but I'll add an easy one.

The son of the Greek bard said, "Sir, Posession of a bovine is not appropriate."

Lisa
Member # 8384

Bart Simpson says, "Don't have a cow, man."

And I'm triply stumped as well. Maybe it's a full day of programming that's dulled my mind.

Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Leonide:
To Boldly go where no man has gone before.

We should therefore turn and meet the melody, aftewards proceeding to move in a rhythmic pattern together.

Let's Face the Music and Dance

I'd never heard of this.

aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
"Gastronomically challenged in the first person."
hungry i

"We come at last to the crux of the matter, for this is where the difficulty makes itself known."
That's the beauty of it, it doesn't do anything.
[Smile]
Now we get to the hard part.

[ August 23, 2006, 07:38 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

- posted      Profile for cmc   Email cmc         Edit/Delete Post 
(oh my gosh my head hurts from reading this thread! ; ) )
Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

I fail a 3rd time Pixiest, what is it?
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

quote:

Given a millinial existance of the rule of the anglo-saxons over this and associated land, this time will be refered to by peoples of the future as their best.

is

quote:

if the British Empire and its Commonwealth last for a thousand years, men will still say, 'This was their finest hour'

I tried to make it so that it wouldn't be really really really really easy and I guess I made it too hard.

Pix

Kasie H
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for Kasie H   Email Kasie H         Edit/Delete Post 
In first person: That which inspires trembling and cowering is really the sole source of all trembling and cowering.
Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
We have nothing to fear but fear itself.

"Obscured or no longer within visual range, doesn't register on the consciousness", juxtaposed with the countervailing sentiment, "Ubiety in a differing locale engenders tenderness in the heart," leaves amorous adventurers with no useful advice.

It's two, two, TWO proverbs in one! Not sold in stores.

edit:adventures->adventurers

[ August 23, 2006, 08:52 PM: Message edited by: Morbo ]

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
"Out of sight out of mind", and "absence makes the heart grow fonder," leaves love in the lurch.

(Note: I had to invent the surrounding bits)

A rosy-coloured atmosphere when the local fiery ball of gas has disappeared over the horizon of the area makes ovis aries-watchers pleasant and fun to be with. A similar occurence after the local fiery ball of gas has just again become visible makes this same particular group of personnages apprehensive about the coming expanse of daylight.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kasie H
Member # 2120

Red sky at night, sailor's delight. Red sky at morning, sailors take warning.

Widely known verbiage uttered with a last breath.

Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
(Shepherds actually, but sailors is also used in that saying.)
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kasie H
Member # 2120

Huh, I never knew that. I learned lots of sayings from my grandfather, who served in the Pacific during WWII, so they're all Navy and/or ship-related. I won't share the in the name of possibly using them here [Smile]
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Widely known verbiage uttered with a last breath.
Deathbed confession?

The blancmange has resident substantiation.

Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
The proof is in the pudding.
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.