FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Fabled definitions: A game (Page 5)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Fabled definitions: A game
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
A duo is required to move rythmically in Argentina
It takes two to tango.

Pugilistically speaking, who would prove superior, Neil Armstrong or Og of the Clan of the Cave Bear?

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
Who's the better boxer, the first man on the moon, or the first man on earth??
Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

Not quite. I'm a little leery of that one, but I think there are enough fans of the show here to get it.
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
*pouts* No one wants to try to get the correct answer for mine?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

It takes two to communicate honestly. One to talk and one to listen attentively?
rivka
Member # 4859

Closer. Think Walden.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know rivka's or Squick's.

The anticipatory descendant of the dinosaurs obtains the modern-day primordial ancestor to the aforementioned dinosaurs.

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Which came first, the chicken or the egg?
Morbo
Member # 5309

Cold, rivka, except for chicken which is on the right track. The concept of "obtains" is in the original and not in your answer.
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
The early bird catches the worm.

A copper disk, stored, is well deserved.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
A penny saved is a penny earned.
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
A duo is required to move rythmically in Argentina
It takes two to tango.

Acknowledgement of a diabolic entity.

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

Give the devil his due. [Hail] [Evil Laugh]
Morbo
Member # 5309

"The anticipatory descendant of the dinosaurs obtains the modern-day primordial ancestor to the aforementioned dinosaurs."

Funny, I had never thought of birds and worms in this context. Kudos to Dan Raven and his mother-in-law for this fun thread game.

edit:also, what's a better way to obfuscate worms than "modern-day primordial ancestor to the aforementioned dinosaurs"? It's an odd phrase, indicating an existing ancestor to an ancient extinct genus.

[ August 26, 2006, 05:29 AM: Message edited by: Morbo ]

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
It is not possible to create a fancy, heated protein/albumen slurry without destroying the integrity of an indeterminate number of bio-containment vessels.

[ August 26, 2006, 07:46 AM: Message edited by: Bob_Scopatz ]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raventhief
Member # 9002

- posted      Profile for Raventhief   Email Raventhief         Edit/Delete Post 
You can't make an omelet without breaking some eggs.

I am cognizant of the fact that I shall eventually locate the mental calm belonging to the speaker of this statement. (musical quote)

Posts: 354 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Morbo, try: ""The anticipatory descendant of the dinosaurs obtains the fish bait."

And I don't think anyone has translated:

"Banking is not in your future."

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
You're of no account? Or you'll never be of any account?
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

Raventhief... I know I'll finally find my peace of mind?
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

"A borrower nor lender be"
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raventhief
Member # 9002

- posted      Profile for Raventhief   Email Raventhief         Edit/Delete Post 
StarLisa: Wording's off but yes.
"I know I shall find my own peace of mind" from Joseph

Posts: 354 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

No one likes Thoreau, hmm? [Dont Know]
Lisa
Member # 8384

Never read Walden.

Raventhief: I knew the phrase sounded familiar. "For I have been promised a land of my own".

Morbo
Member # 5309

Rivka, we give up already. Spill.
rivka
Member # 4859

I said:
quote:
When not prevaricating, two individuals are required; one to utter words or articulate sounds, and one to hear something with thoughtful attention.
Pixiest said:
quote:
It takes 2 to lie, one to lie and one to listen -- Homer Simpson
Which I confirmed was quite close. It is actually:
quote:
It takes two to speak truth; one to speak, and another to listen.
-- Henry David Thoreau

Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
It's the slender threadlike outgrowth of the epidermis of the canine that dentally assaulted you.
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Hair of the dog that bit you.

The measured or measurable period during which an action, process, or condition exists or continues is an instructor which is remarkable in its effectiveness; but it is a sad fact that all those whom it instructs it also deprives of life.

Raventhief
Member # 9002

Time is the best teacher; unfortunately it kills all its students.

The one who would do his or her best to thwart, deride, and/or damage the one whom I would wish to thwart, deride, and/or damage is the one with whom I would willingly spend my free time.

suminonA
Member # 8757

- posted      Profile for suminonA   Email suminonA         Edit/Delete Post 
Time is a great teacher. Unfortunately, it kills all its pupils. (Louis-Hector Berlioz)

[Note: rivka, you got mine from the previous page [Wink] ]

[edit: Raventhief: The enemy of my enemy is my friend.]

That which is considered the 4th dimension in modern Physics stands for that which is used as a trading tool in financial exchanges.

Posts: 1154 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
Time is money. I don't know how to do this, so I'll just pass it on.
Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

(Don't make me explain that time is NOT the fourth dimension.)

The countenance you possess at the end of your second decade is due to a creative and controlling force of the universe; that which you possess at the end of your third decade is due to the sequence of physical and mental experiences that make up your existence. However, the countenance you possess at the end of your fifth decade is the one you are worthy, fit, or suitable for.

rivka
Member # 4859

Did I kill it? Or did it die a natural death?
suminonA
Member # 8757

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
(Don't make me explain that time is NOT the fourth dimension.)

Please do. [Smile]

A.

Posts: 1154 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Simply put, if it were, it would be interchangeable with the other three (as they are with each other). It is patently not. It is also patently impossible to measure in the way we measure physical dimensions, or even to move in both directions along it.

Calling time a fourth dimension is useful when dealing with Einstein's equations, but it is an oversimplification, and has little physical reality.

suminonA
Member # 8757

rivka, do you think that the theories that deal with 11 (or more!) dimensions require them to be "interchangeable" (in what you call “physical reality”)? I gave the “modern Physics” context *precisely* because I was thinking about Einstein’s mathematical form of his theory, where time IS (almost perfectly) interchangeable with the other three dimensions. There we can (and would) call it “fourth dimension” as you also admit.
As for “going in both directions”, I must note that all physical laws (except the one of “ever increasing Enthalpy”) are *simmetrical* in relation with our beloved fourth dimension.

Simply put, I was talking in a specific context (not claiming a *perfect definition*) and it was promptly “decoded”, so it served its purpose. [Smile]

But, back on topic:

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
The countenance you possess at the end of your second decade is due to a creative and controlling force of the universe; that which you possess at the end of your third decade is due to the sequence of physical and mental experiences that make up your existence. However, the countenance you possess at the end of your fifth decade is the one you are worthy, fit, or suitable for.

I see in there “smile”, “love” and the stages (young/adult/old) of one’s life. But I can’t find the exact phrase. Can you give a hint or something?

A.

MrSquicky
Member # 1802

This
quote:
Pugilistically speaking, who would prove superior, Neil Armstrong or Og of the Clan of the Cave Bear?
was supposed to be "Who would win in a fight, an astronaut or a caveman?" which was one of my favorite running gags/teasers in any show (it was from Angel). I guess I should stick to more public domainy quotes.

quote:
The face you have at 20 comes from nature. That you have at 30 comes from life. That which you have at 50 is the one you earned.

If that's correct:

After one period of the planet's rotation, I will be cured of my inebriated condition. You, however, will remain aesthetically displeasing.

The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Tomorrow I'll be sober, but you'll still be ugly.

"Existance... Refrain from discussing with me the period of time between birth and death."

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raventhief
Member # 9002

Life... don't talk to me about life. (The Hitchhikers' Guide)

It is necessary that the demonstration of talent and/or live depiction of a story continues unimpeded.

Lisa
Member # 8384

The show must go on.

The episodic entertainment of highest quality which is wholly lacking in actual existence bears the same name as the period in which installments of any given episodic entertainment are temporarily halted.

Dan_raven
Member # 3383

The commercials are better that the programs?

This one, while not quite a saying, may be (and was) useful:

"The electronic device used for ending REM and similar states was unable to fulfill its destiny, resulting in this individuals inablility to maintain its chronological mandates"

Morbo
Member # 5309

Snooze bars make you late.
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

Close, "I'm late because my alarm clock is broken." Hey. My boss didn't buy it either.
Lisa
Member # 8384

And mine was "The best show that never was: Hiatus".
Sterling
Member # 8096

Two to the fifth power and twenty-five frequencies of delivery, yet an absence of viewable matter.
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

32 and 25 channels, and nothing to watch? I don't get the numbers.
Lisa
Member # 8384

Five to the second power or thirty six to the one halfth power to two to the second power.
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

89 channels and nothing to watch.

ummmm. 96. I meant 96. I can add. honest.

Dan_raven
Member # 3383

The aforementioned male individual is insane similarly to a wild small reddish canine oft hunted with much ritual.
Sterling
Member # 8096

32 (2 to the fifth power) + 25 = 57.

Hey, we were supposed to be obscure.

Crazy like a fox.

Retain antiquated cronies while manufacturing neo-comrades, as one has argentic properties while the other has auric ones.

The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Keep your old friends while making new ones because one is silver and the other gold? (I've never heard that saying)

I am required to retain dominance over the enclosed hand that will lead to the termination of those who annoy me. (From a widely read commercial comic)

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.