FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Fabled definitions: A game (Page 2)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Fabled definitions: A game
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Widely known verbiage uttered with a last breath.
Famous last words.

The depression associated with the disvolving of a romantic relationship is less severe than the ennui originating from the lack of such emotional connections.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
"It’s better to have loved and lost than to have never loved at all."
Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
The accurate inqusition is thus, whether to exist or to choose its lifeless opposite.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
"to be or not to be"

a difficulty no greater than that of pastry

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
"Easy as pie." (Although I find it very difficult to make a good pie crust.)

A domesticated ungulate that reflects light at wavelengths other than those within one standard deviation of the mean.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
A horse of a different color

Your inability to discern the true essence of that which is comprised of such elements as foliated life forms of the sedentary variety is due to your unwavering focus on those very same elements to the exclusion of their existence in a greater context.

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

- posted      Profile for cmc   Email cmc         Edit/Delete Post 
Can't see the forest for the trees...

*please someone else post a new one if i'm right, cause i'm not so good at putting different words into place to make it tricky... and i did try but they all seem too easy...*

Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Soara
Member # 6729

- posted      Profile for Soara   Email Soara         Edit/Delete Post 
You can't see the forest for the trees.

One can not enter into the state of campanionship with another being if one only eats a food item being composed mostly of a mix of a certain green leaf-shaped flora and a liquified topping of a variety of flavors.
(from the Simpsons)

Posts: 464 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

You can't make friends with salad.

It is not in one's best interest to increase one's bipedal velocity while transporting a metallic item used chiefly for deconstruction of paper goods.

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Soara
Member # 6729

Don't run with sissors.

I am irritated to the point that I can no longer handle these reptiles engaging in a inappropriate sexual act with a matriarcle figure on board a airboune vehicle, also engaging in a similar sexual act.

(This is so much fun! [Smile] )

Posts: 464 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
I've had it with these m*****f****** snakes on this m*****f****** plane!

Utilize your ocular sense before propelling yourself upward and forward.

Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Soara
Member # 6729

Look before you leap.

The mechanical object meant for mobilizing large amounts of dirt on the opposite side of his thin sheet of transperant solidified material was very hefty in size.

Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Uh... bulldozer... dumptruck... glass... window... huh?
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

The bulldozer outside his kitchen window was quite a big one. (had to look it up in my Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy... maybe try to stick to sayings and not obscure quotations?)

Individuals residing in domiciles constructed entirely of transparent sheets of fused sand would be well advised not to hurl bits of terra firma through the air.

Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Those who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

While visiting a place with strange customs, such as the Etruscans might have, it behooves you to adopt those same customs.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
When in Rome, do as the Romans do.

You too are betraying me in this vile plot, betrayer-who-I-thought-was-friend?

Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

Ummm...

Et tu, Brute?

Don't inspect the dental work of a donated equine.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

quote:
Ummm...

Et tu, Brute?

Yeah, I couldn't really think of a good way to say Brute without ... you know .... saying Brute. [Razz]
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

An increase in the size differential between an individual relative to the median size of some subgroup against which that individual may be judged, results in a commensurate increase in the eventual impact force of said individual when succumbing to the inevitable effects of gravity.

Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

Edit: The bigger they are, the harder they fall.

The frozen dairy beverage of mine made through use of a blender and often including tasty flavorings such as vanilla, chocolate, strawberry or other fruits affects young males of the species homo sapiens in such a way as to lure them to a large enclosed area often covered with grass.

Eduardo St. Elmo
Member # 9566

- posted      Profile for Eduardo St. Elmo   Email Eduardo St. Elmo         Edit/Delete Post 
FC: My milkshake brings all the boys to the yard.

the experience between being born and death is akin to a cardboard container holding small edible items that have been laboriously produced from beans.

Posts: 993 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raventhief
Member # 9002

- posted      Profile for Raventhief   Email Raventhief         Edit/Delete Post 
Life is like a box of chocolates.

I am in favor of posteriors of larger than median space displacement and am in capable of verbally misleading on this topic.

Posts: 354 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
"I like big butts, I cannot lie" by Sir Mix-a-Lot

Your salvation is in peril assuming you implement an action, and even supposing you neglect to perform said action you are likewise doomed.

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Darned if you do, and darned if you don't.

[Wink]

Having the ability to make decisions for others will rot your soul; having the ability to make all decisions for all people will cause your soul to shrivel into dust.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Transporting an equine to a source of hydration can be accomplished. Forcing the aforementioned to quaff the liquid is an impossibility.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
You can bring<edit>lead</edit> a horse to water, but you can't make it drink.

In exposition, one ought to eschew the more esoteric and tangential elements of description and, instead, embrace those that are demonstrably concise, oh ye of dramaticallly less than average intellect.

Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

K.I.S.S. [Laugh]

I have become aware that I am a writer of verse, while I had not been aware of this before. However, my lower extremities were aware of this fact, as is evidenced by their extreme physical dimensions.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

"I'm a poet and don't know it. But my feet surely show it." - Longfellows.

It would be disadvantageous of you to place one of your two bipedal transport surfaces onto a linear discontinuity in the surface upon which you enjoy mobility, lest the female from whose loins you emerged suffer damage to the skeletal structure surrounding and protecting her spinal cord.

rivka
Member # 4859

(FC, close enough.)

Step on a crack, break your mother's back.

Any person who fails to act in a timely manner will shortly need the assistance of Mapquest.

Scott R
Member # 567

Move it or lose it.

A person of low intellect reveals said intellect by the endeavors upon which he bases his life.

Dagonee
Member # 5818

Stupid is as stupid does.

The fact that, within 24 hours, the radiation generated by the fusion of hydrogen atoms into helium under the pressure of gravity will be detectable by those on the inward side of the earth is of sufficient certainty that one would be prudent to put the entirety of one's assets at risk regarding said fact.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Sure as night follows day.

Numeric entities communicate falsehoods while individuals known to utter falsehoods engage in calculations.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

I was actually going for a quote from Annie on that one.
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
The Sun'll come out, tomorrow, bet your bottom dollar...

I don't know Lisa's.

The optimum outcome would be to refrain from verbalizing and be marked as possibly a person of the lowest order in the outmoded classification scheme (now subsumed in a revised hierarchy) of mental retardation, than to asseverate inchoate thoughts and confirm said low ranking as a certainty.

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

quote:
Any person who fails to act in a timely manner will shortly need the assistance of Mapquest
Hesitate and your lost.

+

It is better to remain silent and thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

finally mine.

The lack of sonic vibrations is equivalent to AU pigmentation.

FlyingCow
Member # 2150

Silence is golden. (but duct tape is silver... heh)

The signed voucher of payment has been placed in the care of our government's messenger service.

Scott R
Member # 567

starLisa:

Figures can't lie, but liars can figure...?

Better to keep your mouth shut and let everyone think you're stupid, than to open it and prove them right.

I apologize, but I have no wittiscism or comment.

Dan_raven
Member # 3383

Flying, the Check is in the Mail

If refuge passes through the entranceway, then one can expect a waste products exodus.

rivka
Member # 4859

(Scott: no; Dan: close.)
Scott R
Member # 567

Garbage in, garbage out.

An avian held in the metacarpus is twice as valuable as one skulking about amidst the firs.

rivka
Member # 4859

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

Failing to take the time to consider all your options will lead to squandering of precious resources.

The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
haste makes waste.

Options exist in the field of feline taxedermy.

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

There's more than one way to skin a cat.

You are creating a massive geological feature formed through the collision of tectonic plates and continental drift from the domicile of a grounddwelling mammal of the rodent family.

skillery
Member # 6209

You're making a mountain out of a molehill.

a continuous body of salt water filled with long-tailed primates; the excrement of long-tailed primates

Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

You're making a mountain out of a molehill.

It is likely wise to cultivate a healthy suspicion of visitors from Athens who bring overfull suitcases.

Scott R
Member # 567

Man, I have no idea on those last two, rivka, skillery...

[Dont Know]

SenojRetep
Member # 8614

Beware Greeks bearing Gifts

The ability to expand can only be bounded by the construct formed to expain the observable elements of the apparent surface against which all aerial objects are seen from the earth.

<edit>didn't see skillery's. Sounds something like the conjunction of "sea monkey;monkey sh*t" but I've never heard a phrase like that</edit>

skillery
Member # 6209

The sky's the limit
rivka
Member # 4859

OH! It's: Monkey see, monkey do.

Someone who has had their flesh used as a medium for taking dental impressions is likely to be somewhat unsociable on two occasions.

skillery
Member # 6209

Once bitten, twice shy.

Two guys named Pedro consume a single large pulpy round fruit.

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.