FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » College Football, Best Time of the Year (Page 6)

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: College Football, Best Time of the Year
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
And that might be the type of game that allows michigan to sneak into the NC game. Sweet.
Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

- posted      Profile for Tinros           Edit/Delete Post 
Unless USC wins tonight, which they probably will. Then it'll be USC v. OSU. Which I could handle. I think my dad'll die of a heart attack if OSU has to play Michigan in the National Championship.
Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
USC has to get by both cal and notre dame.
Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

I don't think Notre Dame will be an issue for them. After all, they're playing to go to the championship, and Notre Dame's already lost that chance. Unless a lot of Notre Dame players are also Michigan fans- then they'd play to have Michigan go to the championship.
Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

I never buy into who has the most to play for. It always seems to work out to be "who has the better team," more then "for whom is this game more important."
Tinros
Member # 8328

In this case, I firmly believe USC has both the better team and the most to play for.
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

Probably they do have the better team. But notre dame is still tough. Having "more to play for" won't help them, because notre dame will be "playing to spoil," and because if notre dame wins, they will be in a BCS bowl, and USC and notre dame are traditional rivals.

But its not a given that USC will win that game.

B34N
Member # 9597

- posted      Profile for B34N   Email B34N         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree Dame's got a chance and the NC may still be Michigan OSU depending on how the computers rank them. But they have only lost to the #1 team in the country. Where USC lost to an unranked team in Oregon State. So Mich may stay #2?
Posts: 871 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
Man, that Rutgers game was hard to watch. We were just awful. Just awful at every step of the way.

Some thoughts.

- Mike Teel. I take back what I said. He was just terrible tonight. I swear his favorite receiver was #21 on the Bearcats (who, by the way, has a hard time covering anyone without interfering with them... having 3 interference calls and 2 interceptions on the night)

- Where was the run? We didn't even try to run the ball. On the season, we average 21 pass plays and 40 rushing plays per game... against Cincy we attempted 42 passes and 21 rushes. Why flip-flop the game plan that has won every game so far this year?

- Where was Ray Rice? He's one of the top rushers in the country and a Heisman candidate, but was given fewer rushing *attempts* (18) than he's had all year, 9 below his average of 27 per game. Again, what's the deal?

- Our defense. All year they've set up before the play in two front to back lines, only setting up their defensive set just as the ball is about to be snapped. Tonight, they showed their defensive set well before the snap every time. A lot has been said and written about how QBs don't know what defensive set they'll have to throw against until the last minute... and we telegraphed every time tonight. Why change what's been working all year?

- Our defense, part II. Rutgers leads the country in sacks (3.89 per game). Cincy is 99th in the country in sacks allowed (2.7 per game). How did we not manage to get to the QB once? We harried Brian Brohm and Tyler Palko *far* better than a JuCo transfer last-minute replacement QB.

- Our defense, part III. Why couldn't we make tackles all of a sudden, or have any sort of pass protection? A nobody QB lit us up. There's no excuse for that.

I just don't know what to say. That's the worst I've seen them play all season. They didn't show any of the things that have made them good and went away from what brought them success all year. I'm not sure what Schiano was thinking, quite honestly.

Keeping some hope alive, if we can beat Syracuse and WVU to finish the season, we can still win the Big East. But playing the way we did, I can't see how we could beat anyone, let alone WVU.

I'm still happy we have 9 wins this year, which is the most we've had in 30 years. But I'm not happy that we lost after playing so terribly - if we'd lost after playing our best, I wouldn't have been so disappointed. This one is tough to swallow.

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David G
Member # 8872

- posted      Profile for David G   Email David G         Edit/Delete Post 
Flying Cow,

I have been routing for Rutgers for the past 5 years (Greg Sciano was a friend and fraternity brother of mine at college, and I have been absolutely inspired by what he has done with the Rutgers program).

A few responses to some of your comments:

- Cincy's defense was focused on stopping Rice early in the game - that was their game plan. Then after Rutgers fell far behind, Rutgers had no choice but to throw the ball every chance they could. As far behind as Rutgers was for so much of the game, it is not surprising that Rice wasn't given more time to run with the ball.

- Cincy's back-up QB played brilliantly. I think the back-up QB may have had a style that was less susceptible to sacks than their first string QB. The back-up was not a "nobody QB" - at least he isn't a "nobody" anymore.

- Teel and his receivers haven't really been all that impressive this year. (Don't get me wrong, they have had some very good games and some great plays. But they also have been mediocre at times.) It appeared to me that the Rutgers passing game matched up particularly poorly to the Cincy defense.

- If it wasn't for the Cincy defense interfering Rutgers receivers, a couple of those penalties against Cincy would have turned into big plays (probably touch downs) for Rutgers. With just another touchdown or two in the first half, Rutgers could have kept Rice in the game and perhaps they would have kept the game close.

If anyone can turn the team around after this loss to beat Syracuse and WVU, Sciano can do it.

Posts: 195 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

I went to Rutgers. I know just how bad we have been. My four years at RU, we won 8 games total.

As poorly as we executed last night, it was still better than back then. I know Schiano will get this team back on track - he's the best thing that ever happened to the program - but the team's performance last night was not in line with anything the team had really done all year.

- I realize Cincy's defense focused on Rice early, but so has every other defense we've played all year. We came out passing early and often, and when that didn't work... we continued passing.

There were plenty of easy dropped passes, and interference calls - but there's no guarantee, based on the receivers' past performance, that they would have caught those long balls anyway.

All year it's been "chop away" - taking small chunk by small chunk and working down the field. Last night it seemed like they were trying to get all the yardage at once throwing (and missing) the longball.

The only time we saw the five- to ten-yard routes Teel's had success with was when we were already in third and long situations. We threw long when we should have been looking short, and short when we should have been looking long.

When behind to Louisville, we went with Rice and won. When behind with Cincy, we went with Teel and lost. The emphasis on passing was evident from the first quarter.

- Cincy's backup QB was a senior JuCo transfer getting his first collegiate start. While maybe not a "nobody" - he certaily isn't a Palko, Brohm, or Grothe. He was also playing behind a line that gave up 2.7 sacks per game this year - a line we didn't get through effectively once.

- You're right that the receivers haven't been good all year. They just haven't been able to connect consistently - they're young and inexperienced, though very talented. So, against one of the best defenses we've faced, why did we go to this shaky passing game so often? It seemed all we wanted to do was pass - from the first drive (3 and out) on.

- Cincy's pass interference doesn't guarantee we would have caught those passes. The interceptions didn't help, either. Down 14 coming into the second half, why didn't we go back to the ground?

There were 30 minutes left in the game. We weren't controlling the clock and we were either going 3-and-out or throwing interceptions. We only had the ball 27 minutes - when we average more like 32 minutes.

- What bothered me most was the defense. Cincy hadn't scored more than 25 points against a I-A opponent all year. They averaged 19 points and 328 ypg over their first ten games. Against the best defense they've faced (#2 pass defense, #4 total defense, #4 scoring defense, #4 pass efficiency defense) they managed to score 30 points on 402 total yards.

What I really didn't get was how our defense was lining up. In every game this year, they stood two by two, holding hands in a column extending straight back from the line. At the last couple of seconds, they scramble into positions, confusing the offensive line and QB and forcing them to get a read on the defensive set at the last possible instant.

They didn't do that against Cincy, for some reason.

I know this has been the best Rutgers season in three decades, and I still can't believe we're going to a bowl game at all, let alone for the second time in two years. I just would sting a lot less if we didn't play so poorly. It was almost like watching a different team.

If we'd been beaten after we played a good game, I'd have been been far less frustrated. As Schiano has said, it's not the result that matters, but how well you prepared and whether you played your best. It just doesn't feel like they played their best.

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
B34N
Member # 9597

Well the top five in the BCS didn't move? Figured that OSU Michigan game being so close would keep Michigan at #2.
Posts: 871 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ecthalion
Member # 8825

- posted      Profile for Ecthalion   Email Ecthalion         Edit/Delete Post 
It will raise hell though if 2 teams from the same conference go to the NC. I think Mich is ony there for show, they will drop if USC wins out and if UF or possibly Ark win out. That being said if USC beats Dame and somehow droppes UCLA, if UF drops FSU and Ark drops UF games. Mich will be the best 1 loss team to go to the NC.
Posts: 467 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
B34N
Member # 9597

quote:
Originally posted by B34N:
quote:
Originally posted by Frisco:
And Colt McCoy had better be healthy by the Fiesta Bowl, so when BSU beats them, they can't come up with an excuse as to why.

If Colt McCoy can go for the rest of season. He'll win the rest of the games and BSU won't stand a chance. If he isn't they'll probably lose another game and be out of it unless they can win the B12 Championship.

And I have a feeling Dame's gonna give USC their second loss. Michigan will beat OSU. Florida will lose to Western Carolina (sorry it's a dream of mine! [ROFL] ) And I'm pretty sure Arkansas will get taken out by LSU. [Dont Know] Hey it could all happen. [Big Grin]

My man Colt let me down not to mention got put down for the count. What's up with the vicious blows by A&M - bad play all around! [Grumble]
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
Man, you're almost as bad at making predictions as I am. [Razz]

Though I was pleased with myself for winning money tonight on the USC-ND game. Even doubled my winnings by giving ND 14 points, even though the spread was 7.

And man, now will the voters see how overrated WV is? I have a feeling Rutgers is going to watch a lot of film this week and figure out how to slow down the two players that are the WV offense. Of course, they also have to figure out a way to exploit the Mountaineers' total lack of defense, mainly the secondary.

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

I've been saying for weeks: Stop Slaton's run, and Stop White's option. Force White to beat you consistently as a QB and Slaton to beat you as a receiver.

They can score points that way, but not nearly as consistently or as quickly as they can with the run.

I have to say, though, that USF is a good team and Grothe will be a great quarterback in a couple of years. We just barely squeaked by them, and the only teams that really manhandled them were Louisville and Cincinnati (who is also a very good team, despite their record).

I think the Big East could have a good bowl showing this year with the teams it's sending. We'll see.

If Rutgers can pull off the win in Morgantown, that will just be amazing. We've never won there, and it hasn't been many years since we lost there 80-7 at the start of Schiano's tenure.

Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm proud of my Seminoles. No one expected them to win (except me), so no one was disappointed, but we gave them a run for it. If that kick return hadn't been called out ... *sigh*. It was a good game. Next year we'll be better.
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
BYU beat Utah with 3 seconds left!!!

*dies*

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mig
Member # 9284

- posted      Profile for Mig   Email Mig         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dr Strangelove:
I'm proud of my Seminoles. No one expected them to win (except me), so no one was disappointed, but we gave them a run for it. If that kick return hadn't been called out ... *sigh*. It was a good game. Next year we'll be better.

Ditto. The Noles' young defense id awesome. Can't imagine how great they will be during the next few years. Next year the offense will be better because, frankly, I can't imagine they could be any worse.
Posts: 407 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by El JT de Spang:
posted August 05, 2006 01:17 PM
West Virginia is the most overrated program in the country this year. Congratulations.

Forgive me for self-quoting, but given that they managed to lose two games (with a chance to lose a few more) with easily the weakest schedule out of the preseason top 25, I couldn't resist gloating.

I wouldn't argue with Jay before the season, because I knew how futile that would be. But now maybe some people will realize what anyone who watches college football already knew.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ecthalion
Member # 8825

most people who watch college football know its not about strength of schedule or quality wins. Its about popularity and whoever can grab a flash for the week.
Posts: 467 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ecthalion:
most people who watch college football know its not about strength of schedule or quality wins. Its about popularity and whoever can grab a flash for the week.

There is far too much truth to that statement. There seriously needs to be a playoff. It doesn't have to be a big one. An eight team playoff will go a long way to getting rid of these lingering questions that pop up year after year. This whole system of just picking two teams to play each other and calling the winner the champion just doesn't sit right with me. Really, the BCS rankings aren't terrible. However, when you start getting to the difference between the number two and number three teams, that is really the sort of that should be decided on the field.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ecthalion
Member # 8825

especially when teams have to compare how good they are with many in conference teams. You end up with potentially great teams playing each other for the majority of games. making it almost statistically impossible to measure good schedule by wins v losses.

Until you have teams champion a division, then divisions champion each other there will always be questions as to who is really the best.

B34N
Member # 9597

quote:
Originally posted by Frisco:
Man, you're almost as bad at making predictions as I am. [Razz]

Yeah, I got killed in my college predictions this season. A&M always plays UT tough but that game was just rediculous. The Dame game was a blow out and I am actually glad they lost. If they had one and gone to #2 which they probably wouldn't ahve anyhow, they would've got killed by OSU. I think USC vs. OSU is going to be a much better game to watch. But then again I thought Texas was going to be defending their Title? [Grumble]
dab
Member # 7847

- posted      Profile for dab   Email dab         Edit/Delete Post 
Although I am a UMich fan, I would like to see the NC go to OSU vs. Boise State.

IF there was a 3rd undefeated team with a harder schedule, than sure that team should go... but BSU beat Oregon State, who beat USC, so why should USC go the the NC game... especailly since UM is probably a much better team anyway, but wont go because they just played ohio state and lost.

Posts: 104 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

Is WVU overrated? I don't think they are anymore - #15 sounds about right. I certainly don't see premier programs lining up to get them on their non-conference schedule, that's for sure. And I read that Louisville has been turned down by every SEC and ACC team it has contacted aside from Kentucky, who it is contractually bound to play.

On a good day, I think WVU can beat almost anyone in the country. The problem is, on a bad day they can be beaten by pretty much any disciplined defense with a good QB.

But much the same can be said about Florida - on a good day, they're tremendous, but on a bad day they need every scrap of luck they can muster and poor playing by their opponent to scrape away with a win.

It remains to be seen if Rutgers can stay defensively disciplined enough to stop Slaton's run and White's option. It also remains to be seen which Mike Teel will show up to throw. Will it be the UNC/Navy/Syracuse QB who went 39 of 61 for 506 yds, 5 TDs and 1 Int? Or will it be the Ohio/UConn/Cincy QB who went 37-82 for 444 yards, 0 TDs and 8 Ints?

If it's the former, we have a chance of winning at Morgantown. If the latter, we're going to get housed.

How big is Rutgers loss to Cincy now? [Wall Bash]

FlyingCow
Member # 2150

Dab, USC has more of a right to go (if they beat UCLA next week) because they'll have beaten #6 Notre Dame, #17 Cal, #19 Nebraska, and #21 Oregon.

Who has BSU beaten that's even comparable?

Sure Oregon St beat USC, and BSU beat Oregon St. But the transitive property doesn't really work so well in college football. Cal beat Oregon St 41-13, but lost to USC 23-9.

To follow the "We beat a team that beat that other team" logic, you could say the following:

Temple beat Bowling Green, who beat Ohio, who beat Illinois, who beat Michigan State, who beat Pitt, who beat Cincinnati, who beat Rutgers, who beat Louisville, who beat WVU. Therefore, Temple is better than Rutgers, WVU, and Louisville (3 of the top 15) - all by just winning one game (their only win in the last two seasons).

From what I've seen, BSU is a good team. But to fight for a NC (and get that spot ahead of a one-loss USC or Florida), they need to have a far more challenging noncon schedule (because their conference strength is so low).

beatnix19
Member # 5836

- posted      Profile for beatnix19   Email beatnix19         Edit/Delete Post 
i was real happy to see USC win. this makes things much more comfortable for me. I am in the camp that beleives the rematch between OSU and Michigan should NOT happen. I believe you have to win the conference if you want a piece of the title game. I'm confident that a remtch would only end up with the buckeyes winning by at least two touchdowns this tiem around
Posts: 1294 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Is WVU overrated? I don't think they are anymore - #15 sounds about right.
Maybe you missed the timestamp on the quoted post -- it was from preseason.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

Actually, I was responding more to Frisco's post, where he said: "And man, now will the voters see how overrated WV is?"

But, you were totally right in that they were overrated in the preseason. As were Florida St, Miami, and Iowa, obviously.

Preseason polling is ridiculous, though. They shouldn't have any polls, BCS or otherwise, until Week 6. Then voters could then more objectively look at teams' performance without the baggage of the previous year.

But yeah, WVU in the teens is closer to reality.

Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Actually, I was responding more to Frisco's post, where he said: "And man, now will the voters see how overrated WV is?"
I wrote that before these last BCS standings, but yeah, I do think #15 is about right. Right near the bottom of the 2-loss teams.

And now, with the season nearly over, I can more accurately pick the BCS bowls! But I'm not going to try...I'll just put in the more likely scenarios.

Michigan-LSU in the Rose Bowl. Can Michigan score enough points? The Tigers average more points on offense and fewer given up on defense than the Wolverines, and did it in a tougher conference. Oughtta be a fun one. Michigan might even have a case for the AP National Championship if they win big and USC squeaks by OSU on neutral turf.

Florida/Arkansas-Notre Dame in the Sugar Bowl. I think Arkansas and Darren McFadden would be able to hang with the ND offense, but I don't think Florida could score enough points against a 1-A opponent. But with Urban Meyer behind the wheel, anything can happen. Either way, it's a game I'll be watching.

Louisville/Rutgers/WVU-Wake Forest/Georgia Tech in the Orange Bowl. Meh. I think Louisville or WVU could run right over the average defenses of either WF or GT, and I don't think either ACC team has the offense necessary to win. Rutgers versus either would be a slug-it-out defenseive game, full of good fundamentals and rife with great coverage and open field tackling. *yawns* *stretches* *rolls over* [Razz]

Boise State-Nebraska/Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl. Ian Johnson in a flak jacket (to protect broken ribs) vs. Adrian Peterson in possibly his first full game back from a broken collarbone would be a fun one to watch. Oklahoma's pass defense isn't nearly as horrendous as Nebraska's is, but I still think this would be a high-scoring affair that would depend on how well the star backs fare with their bodies in less than tip top shape. BSU-Nebraska would be a Boise rout.

OSU-USC in the National Championship. What a game. I think USC's constantly improving defense will do a better job stopping Troy Smith than Michigan's did, and I think they'll be able to force turnovers and score points. This one is too close to call. If the oddsmakers give USC more than 2 points, I think I'll get in on a little of that action.

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ecthalion
Member # 8825

quote:
Originally posted by FlyingCow:
[QB] Is WVU overrated? I don't think they are anymore - #15 sounds about right. I certainly don't see premier programs lining up to get them on their non-conference schedule, that's for sure. And I read that Louisville has been turned down by every SEC and ACC team it has contacted aside from Kentucky, who it is contractually bound to play.

That is a little misleading, since Lvil hasnt contacted most of the conference teams. UGA has enterd a deal and Miss St and Vandy have not declined yet. For the most part of the SEC those are bottom feeders. The only "good teams that have rejected Lvil has been Bama and Tenn on an outright proposal.

in all honesty though... not adding Lvil isnt a sign of fear, or a sign of Lvil's strength (although i dont think they are a bad team). When you play 3, 4 or 5 ranked teams from within the conference and only have 2 out of 12 teams that continually have losing records, you can afford to play less than saavy opponants, and probably will want to to keep team healthy for conference games.

FlyingCow
Member # 2150

quote:
in all honesty though... not adding Lvil isnt a sign of fear, or a sign of Lvil's strength (although i dont think they are a bad team). When you play 3, 4 or 5 ranked teams from within the conference and only have 2 out of 12 teams that continually have losing records, you can afford to play less than saavy opponants, and probably will want to to keep team healthy for conference games.
I understand it's not a sign of fear - it's common sense. It's similar to the common sense that Boise St. uses to get to the BCS.

Don't play any threatening opponents unless you have to.

The SEC is very strong, and their conference schedule is brutal. It makes sense not to schedule a lot of challenging OoC games. But when strong teams refuse to play teams that are trying to beef up their schedule, they then can't turn around and say "your schedule wasn't strong enough."

I'll try to find where I read about L'ville's scheduling woes v. the SEC, but my computer's all wonky at work right now.

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't believe non of you mentioned the outcome of The Holy War last weekend.

It was down to the last play and what a great pass!

Go BYU! [Big Grin]

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

13-9.

Life is sweet.

Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged
Member # 7476

- posted      Profile for Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged   Email Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] I love when the BCS fails.

Maybe someday we'll finally get a playoff...Big Ten all the way

Posts: 796 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

BCS isn't failing. The two best teams will be in the NC. Michigan and Ohio state are clearly the class of the field.

That said, we definetely need a playoff.

[ December 02, 2006, 08:54 PM: Message edited by: Paul Goldner ]

B34N
Member # 9597

quote:
Originally posted by Paul Goldner:
13-9.

Life is sweet.

UCLA downs USC - Craziness! [Confused]

Thought that might happen, but I love when things like this happen. Ha niether USC or Texas are going back to the big show. [Dont Know]

Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
This Florida game is fun to watch. So far (1 minutes left in the game) 5 different people have thrown TD passes.

Did anyone else see that graphic comparing schedules? I don't know football teams well enough to be any judge, but it sure seemed like the commentators were saying Florida should be in the National Championship. [Dont Know]

Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
B34N
Member # 9597

Yeah, that's what they said and they may be right. Florida had a tougher schedule in comparison to Michgan. It will probably be OSU vs. Florida in the championship, which is better than the rematch if you ask me.
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Michigan had their shot and couldn't get it done. A rematch is a silly idea. Give Florida a chance at them.
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

- posted      Profile for SoaPiNuReYe           Edit/Delete Post 
That interception in the UCLA game...

Amazing..

Almost as good of an upset as when my George Mason Patriots beat them UCONN Huskies.

Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

"Michigan had their shot and couldn't get it done. A rematch is a silly idea. Give Florida a chance at them."

Of course, that game was AT ohio, and was probably the best college game of the year. On a neautral site, I'm betting we'd get a far better game then florida/ohio st. Having seen each other before this year, means that they'll have to do different things. Rematches arent silly ideas. Rematches are what make sports great. The first time around, its about "who is the better athlete." The second time around, its "Who has the better handle on what their opponent is trying to do, and how to stop it."

And, of course, I thought the point of the NC game is to determine the best team in the country? Its one of michigan/ohio st. I want to find out which team is really better. The game a few weeks ago really didn't tell us.

FlyingCow
Member # 2150

Man, those of you who missed RU v. WVU missed a great game. 41-39 in triple OT, won on a broken up 2-pt conversion attempt. That game was such an emotional rollercoaster that I am totally spent.

Still, though, there are two moments that stand out clearly in my mind that should have sealed a Rutgers victory before there was ever an OT. One was entirely out of our controll, and the other was well within it.

The first was a blown call. Steve Slaton clearly fumbled the ball, and Rutgers ran it in for a touchdown. That would have been 7 points and a 27-20 lead. Instead, the ref blew the play dead, making it nonreviewable, even though on replay he clearly fumbled the ball.

Aggravating, and ultimately game-changing. I hate it when a blown call decides the fate of any game, but when it ruins our chance of winning the Big East for the first time ever, going to a BCS bowl for the first time ever, and beating WVU in Morgantown for the first time ever... I hate it even more.

The second moment was entirely in our control, when junior transfer WR James Townsend (who has a total of 9 career receptions) dropped a perfectly thrown TD pass in the endzone at the end of regulation. That *also* would have made it 27-20.

Also aggravating, but at least something that was within our control.

Great game, still, though. I'm sure it had ridiculous ratings in the NY/NJ area.

I just wish that essentially one blown call in an otherwise great game didn't change our bowl prospects from the Orange Bowl to the Texas Bowl.

Edit: Reading about it on some forums, another bad call was brought up. In the second OT, WVU's QB ran back about 15 yards, pursued by RU defenders, when he threw the ball way out of bounds. Problem is, he never left the tackle box, and that should have been intentional grounding, which is a spot foul with loss of down. Also aggravating.

[ December 03, 2006, 01:35 AM: Message edited by: FlyingCow ]

Rohan
Member # 5141

- posted      Profile for Rohan   Email Rohan         Edit/Delete Post 
Flying cow, if you see a replay of that play, you'll see that, despite him not having left the tackle box, there's clearly a receiver in the area. I'll grant you that it was probably just dumb luck that there was a receiver in the area, but still.

You are totally right about the fumble, though.

My thoughts on the BCS, condensed down from 4500 words: If Michigan doesn't get a shot to play in the NC game, it'll be a travesty. If Florida doesn't get a shot to play in the NC game, it'll be a travesty. Down with the BCS. Up with an 8 team playoff.

Posts: 196 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ecthalion
Member # 8825

quote:

Of course, that game was AT ohio, and was probably the best college game of the year. On a neautral site, I'm betting we'd get a far better game then florida/ohio st. Having seen each other before this year, means that they'll have to do different things. Rematches arent silly ideas. Rematches are what make sports great. The first time around, its about "who is the better athlete." The second time around, its "Who has the better handle on what their opponent is trying to do, and how to stop it."

And, of course, I thought the point of the NC game is to determine the best team in the country? Its one of michigan/ohio st. I want to find out which team is really better. The game a few weeks ago really didn't tell us.

sayinging that a team loses because its home field isnt a strong arguement. Comparing their records, and the records and stats of the teams they play could be considered legitimate data for arguement. In those cases Florida wins by a large margin. Saying Mich is "clearly" the second best team is a little misleading because up until today USC was "clearly" the second best team even with a loss to an unranked.

UF v Ohio is really the only way you will settle this. If OSU is as good as everyone hypes them to be then this should be an easy win, and it will confirm their dominance. If UF wins it will confirm that the way teams are ranked is flawed. You cant judge "stylish" wins and losses because the rankings are a popularity contest. Is Wisconsin really a top 10 team? (example) They play one ranked team and lose to them, how valuable is their ranking #? ND has played 3 ranked teams and got blown out by 2 of them. How valuable was their #2 and #6 tags?

Mich would be a pretty lame game. Uf might be a bad one... but at least you can then compare Big 10 strength vs SEC.... not Big 1 vs little 2

Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

" Comparing their records, and the records and stats of the teams they play could be considered legitimate data for arguement. In those cases Florida wins by a large margin."

I don't agree with that at all. Michigan has the number 3 schedule in teh country, florida 1. Thats not a large margin. Thats "statistically no different."

"Saying Mich is "clearly" the second best team is a little misleading because up until today USC was "clearly" the second best team even with a loss to an unranked."

I disagree. USC was never the second best team in the country, they just gets lots of love from the national press.

"You cant judge "stylish" wins and losses because the rankings are a popularity contest."

I agree. But your wisconsin and notre dame examples, to me, are the same as most of the SEC games florida plays... are these teams they beat REALLY that good? I don't think they are... the SEC teams get their awesome rankings on popularity contests just as much as wisconsin or notre dame do.

FlyingCow
Member # 2150

I just can't stop thinking that if the refs hadn't totally screwed up the Oklahoma/Oregon game, that there wouldn't be as much argument over a Ohio St (12-0)/Oklahoma(12-1) NC game. Michigan wouldn't even be in the picture - just Florida or Oklahoma, and I think Okla would have taken it.

I mean, if the refs hadn't handed the game to Oregon, Oklahoma would have had wins over #18 Oregon, #19 Nebraska, #21 Texas A&M, and #23 Missouri - with their only loss coming against #7 Texas.

Then again, maybe I'm just a little ref-biased after watching them take the Orange Bowl away from us by blowing a fumble play dead three seconds after the ball was loose.

Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged
Member # 7476

- posted      Profile for Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged   Email Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
BCS isn't failing. The two best teams will be in the NC. Michigan and Ohio state are clearly the class of the field.

That said, we definetely need a playoff.

I stand by my statement, once again the BCS has failed to produce a clear match-up of the top 2 teams.
Posts: 796 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ecthalion
Member # 8825

quote:
" Comparing their records, and the records and stats of the teams they play could be considered legitimate data for arguement. In those cases Florida wins by a large margin."

I don't agree with that at all. Michigan has the number 3 schedule in teh country, florida 1. Thats not a large margin. Thats "statistically no different."

thats only based off wins v and the other teams rank. When you take into the teams that they play's ranking in offence and defence and in wins of those teams and their opponants UF plays statistically tougher teams.

quote:
"Saying Mich is "clearly" the second best team is a little misleading because up until today USC was "clearly" the second best team even with a loss to an unranked."

I disagree. USC was never the second best team in the country, they just gets lots of love from the national press.

they were ranked #2, since its the only way people judge whos where they were considered the second best. Under all forms of logic no one really knows wehre anyone places because no one plays all 118 other teams.

quote:
"You cant judge "stylish" wins and losses because the rankings are a popularity contest."

I agree. But your wisconsin and notre dame examples, to me, are the same as most of the SEC games florida plays... are these teams they beat REALLY that good? I don't think they are... the SEC teams get their awesome rankings on popularity contests just as much as wisconsin or notre dame do.

Except that you can once again compare the stats of the teams they play. This isnt fool proof because there are stats that get inflated by teams who play bad teams. The SEC has been titled the "toughest" conference for many, many years, not the "best" but the "toughest". Since the announcers and voters all like to see high flying west coast offences over hard hiting defences its hard to say that the SEC rides the same popularity wave of USC and ND. Secondly SEC has the most out of conference wins and most out of conference bowl wins. It also has the least dispairity top to bottom between teams stats.

but it doesnt matter in the end... Florida gets the vote. If OSU whoops them, no surprise, if UF upsets, big surprise.

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.