FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » College Football, Best Time of the Year (Page 7)

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: College Football, Best Time of the Year
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
I really hope OSU dismantles Florida and Urban Meyer has an anxiety attack at the start of the fourth quarter when he looks up to a 42-10 scoreboard. Maybe that would stop his whining.
Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
There's another point to be considered - Florida won their conference championship, playing an extra game Michigan did not. Would it really be right for Michigan to advance to the championship game without even winning their conference? I say no.

If you can't win your own conference, you don't deserve to play for the national champsionship. If Michigan were the best team in the country, they would have beaten Ohio State. Regardless of where the game was played. "We're the best team in the country! That is, if we get to play our tough opponents at home or in a neutral sight." [Roll Eyes]

Ohio State deserves to be in the game. They've proven it on the field. Florida is the "best of the rest". Ohio State will rightfully be favored by a large margin. As an SEC fan though, I'm hoping Florida beats them.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

However, if Michigan had won, the NC would have almost definitely been a rematch game with OSU.

Personally, I want Florida to lose because Urban Meyer hasn't stopped running his mouth all year, even when it takes three blocked kicks to beat a South Carolina team they should have dominated. His ego needs some deflating.

I don't care enough either way about either team to root for one or the other, but all the press I've seen with Urban Meyer has annoyed me. If nothing else, I'd like to see him blown out to knock the smug look off of his face.

This is similar to why I like watching the UConn women lose at basketball, because Geno Auriemma is a jerk.

Also, as an aside, if you're looking for the "Best Two" teams in the country, I'd have to go with OSU and Michigan. If we agree that OSU is the best, who has more of a chance to beat them on a neutral field? I'd say Michigan, and that's why I'd say they are a better team than Florida - all hard data and statistics aside.

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ecthalion
Member # 8825

- posted      Profile for Ecthalion   Email Ecthalion         Edit/Delete Post 
Meyer has actually had less to say about the title game than you are giving him credit for. All the quotes that are circulating about him "jockying" for Florida's chance at the BCS come from reporters asking him if he believes they belong. Its not like hes Tubervill or WVU who start jockeying before half the season is over.

Interesting how people point to the SC game as a low point in UFs year when it was actually a clean and well played game by UF. SC has good QB's and at least one very good WR. You give that type of setup to spurrier and you have a team that just barely lost to some of the toughest teams in the league, and eventually pulled it off against Clemson. They pick that as weak but chose to skip over the Illinois and Ball state games that are much worse teams than SC.

Saying that somone is better despite all hard evidence is really illogical. Also the idea was to keep the champion legitimate. By playing the top from two conferences, which are really the only strong conferences this year, with what looks like the BE coming up in third(strangely). If Mich beats OSU then what? They have the same record and then the loss to a team they beat already, how is that fair to OSU? Not to mention if UF went to a different Bowl and won, then theyd have a win over OSU or Mich and theyd all have 1 loss. How would that be fiar to them? If OSU won, especially if the Gators won another bowl game it would beg the question of could OSU have actually been better than florida having both won 13 games, UF actually having to play 14 wich gives them an extra chance to lose that OSU doesnt have.

If Mich can really beat OSU then why didnt they bring their A-game the first time? If you cant show up when you are supposed to why should you expect to be given the chance when theres somone who is in the least, as qualified as you and statistically more qualified?

I hope Florida wins just to keep the BCS controversey alive.

Posts: 467 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rohan
Member # 5141

- posted      Profile for Rohan   Email Rohan         Edit/Delete Post 
The point should be that, even if it'd been Florida who was left out, the system sucks. It fails many more times than it succeeds. Even the times it succeeds are tainted because of the times that it fails. The fact is, you have (at least) three teams who are very deserving of a shot at the national championship, but only two slots, and, let's face it, the slots are awarded based on subjectivity and some-guy's-personal-opinion, for Pete's sake. Even a measly four-team playoff would go a long ways toward cutting down on the suckiness. In my ideal situation, it's an 8 team playoff, you eliminate the totally ridiculous and indefensible FIFTY DAY LAYOFF between the last game and the postseason, and then we're arguing over whether Auburn or Oklahoma should get in as the 7th and 8th seeds instead of Wisconsin and Boise State (for my money, I'd let Oklahoma in, instead of Wisconsin but seed Boise St. 7th and Oklahoma 8th). You think that won't be as exciting debating the merits of those teams? AND, you can say at the end of your argument "well, I guess we'll see next week" instead of "Michigan would definitely beat the University of Whatever by two touchdowns" (because you don't know, if you did you'd be rich betting on UCLA Saturday).

Frankly, speaking subjectively (as the college football gods have decreed we MUST speak) I'd take LSU against pretty much any team right now. In an eight team playoff, I might put my money on the Bayou Bengals.

Posts: 196 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rohan
Member # 5141

Just read this article at SI.com about the BCS and this comment was made:
quote:
Even if academia's powers-that-be had a sudden change of heart tomorrow and instituted a playoff, there would still be someone, somewhere determining who plays in it.
That's the point. It's much better and much more legitimate to have the debate be over who gets in at 7th and 8th, rather than 2nd. I mean, Wisconsin fans will be up in arms, but realistically, they'd have a very outside chance of winning 3 games in a row against top 10 opponents. And all the teams that everyone KNOWS should have a shot WOULD have a shot, instead of all of them being shut out except for ONE.
Posts: 196 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Personally, I want Florida to lose because Urban Meyer hasn't stopped running his mouth all year, even when it takes three blocked kicks to beat a South Carolina team they should have dominated. His ego needs some deflating.

Sorry, but too someone who was in school when Spurrier was the coach, that's funny. Meyer is meek and mild when compared to Spurrier.
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

Not saying Spurrier doesn't have an ego, I'm just saying Meyer's just grates on me. Every time I watch him he seems like a pompous jerk - you know, the sort who always plays the arrogant stock broker foil in movies and tv. You know, the guy dating the girl the protagonist eventually ends up with in the end.

I don't know why, it's just a feeling I get from him. He's not someone I'd invite over for dinner, that's for sure.

That all said, I don't want him to win.

I also don't want Florida to win, because that would validate the BCS's choice of picking them over someone else. In fact, I want them to get blown out to more clearly show that they were not the second best team in the country at all, and the system is just *that* broken.

As far as Florida, I know they played a hard schedule, and they also barely scraped by more than once. I kind of see them almost like Notre Dame - often coming away with a W after being outplayed most of the game. I guess we'll see what happens.

On an unrelated subject:

The Big East bowl situation is awful. We're sending 5 of our 8 teams to bowls, but three of them no one's ever really heard of, and the other two are against ACC teams.

Louisville v. Wake in the Orange (where hopefully the Cards will pound on Wake and show Miami, BC, and VTech just what a great idea it was to jump ship)

WVU v. GTech in the Gator (our runner-up v. the ACC runner-up? So, neither of our top two teams get to play Pac-10, Big 10, Big 12, or SEC teams... great)

Rutgers v. Kansas St. in the Texas Bowl (The inaugural Texas Bowl. Broadcast on NFL Network, which is not carried on any NJ cable provider. Wonderful. Rutgers played in two of the top 5 rated sports events in the NY/NJ area, and it's going to be on a network that only comes in satellite sports packages.)

Cincy v. Western Michigan in the Independence Bowl (It's in Canada. In January. Against the MAC. But at least it's on ESPN2)

USF v. East Carolina in the inaugural PapaJohns.com Bowl (Against the C-USA. But at least it's also on ESPN2, and in a warm climate.)

I'm hoping for the BE to go 5-0, but to have arguably the third strongest conference end up in the papajohns.com, independence, and texas bowls, with its two major bowls against the ACC, is a little weird.

[ December 04, 2006, 11:41 AM: Message edited by: FlyingCow ]

Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, of all the NC matchups I'd like to have seen, Ohio State vs. Oklahoma would have topped the list.

As much as I agreed with the NCAA's ruling at the time, now I wish they had gone with OU's preferred solution and simply thrown the game out. Oh well, at least they get a BCS bowl I suppose...

And stupid Texas Tech, making me go to their bowl game by having it where I live. Now I'll be working a total of 1.5 days that week.

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
In my ideal situation, it's an 8 team playoff, you eliminate the totally ridiculous and indefensible FIFTY DAY LAYOFF between the last game and the postseason, and then we're arguing over whether Auburn or Oklahoma should get in as the 7th and 8th seeds instead of Wisconsin and Boise State (for my money, I'd let Oklahoma in, instead of Wisconsin but seed Boise St. 7th and Oklahoma 8th).
I'm sorry, but how the heck does Boise State get into the playoffs over Wisconsin? Personal bias aside, the Big Ten is far more difficult to come out of with an 11-1 record than the Western Athletic Conf. with a 12-0.

Also, I'd like to remind everyone that these are student-athletes, and the fifty-day layoff that would become a playoff time is finals. Many of the star players have their hands held through this period, but there are also the bench-warming Genetics majors who lend credibility and their GPAs to the team. That is why there will not be a playoff.

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ecthalion
Member # 8825

Boisie state is in it because of the rule that allows mid-major conferenced to have an automatic at-large spot. Its close to ND's setup how they get into a BCS. ND must finish in the top 8 and ahead of a BCS conference champion to be gauranteed a slot in the BCS, a mid-major conference must finish in the top 12 and ahead of a BCS conference champ to get the autobid. This is allow teams who dont get a chance to play the "powerhouse" teams a shot at winning big. If you ask me its not a very good plan but hey, whatever makes them money.
Posts: 467 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

Oh, sorry, I meant the hypothetical playoff situation. I get the BCS. [Smile]
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, EVERY OTHER college sport finds a way to do playoffs. I don't find the college athlete argument compelling, since all the other athletes are playing during finals too.
Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
My beloved Sooners revived their season. Played without a surefire Heismann candidate, overcame losing a game due to officiating, got a little lucky when Texas lost to A&M, and beat Nebraska in the Big 12 Championship. What do we get for all of that?

A chance at Boise State. [Confused]

Sure, it's a BCS game. But Boise State.

I hope I didn't offend anyone from the great state of Boise, but I am not excited about this game.

Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

Actually, a non-BCS conference has to either finish in the top 12 (which Boise did ) OR finish in the top 16 and ahead of a BCS conference champion (which it also did).

I don't know ND's deal, specifically.

Personally, I'd be happy with the "plus one" system I read that someone has proposed. Essentially, the NC is not determined until *after* the BCS bowls, and plays the following week. That way, if you pit Michigan v. Florida in the Rose Bowl, for instance, you'd be able to more clearly put the winner in the Championship game.

It's an interesting way of doing things.

And, by the way...

Schiano turned down Miami.
[Party] [Party]

FlyingCow
Member # 2150

Well, bro, you just have to make sure that you aren't BSU's statement win. [Big Grin]
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm sorry, but how the heck does Boise State get into the playoffs over Wisconsin? Personal bias aside, the Big Ten is far more difficult to come out of with an 11-1 record than the Western Athletic Conf. with a 12-0.
Did you see Wisconsin's schedule this year? They beat two teams with winning records--Penn State and Purdue. And Purdue lost to Hawaii, who Boise State beat.

BSU manhandled the #22 team in the BCS (a 28-point win over Oregon State) and beat the #31 team (Hawaii), too. Wisconsin beat #26 Penn State 13-3.

Wisconsin's 11 wins were over opponents with a combined 53-79 (.402) record. They got whooped by Michigan and didn't even play Ohio State.

Boise, on the other hand, beat 6 bowl-eligible teams (compared to Wisconsin's 4) and their victims had a combined record of 68-78 (.466)

AND they had the added disadvantage of having every single team they played trying to be the one to knock off their conference juggernaut and one of only a few undefeated teams in D-1 football.

We'll find out in the Capital One Bowl against Arkansas if Wisconsin is overrated, or merely untested.

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

And don't even start with the "Oklahoma got a lame deal" whining. Their schedule was almost as much of a cakewalk as Wisconsin't was. They beat as many top 40 BCS teams as Boise State did (2), one by a single point, and one in a sloppy Big 12 Conference Championship game.

And even though they ultimately shouldn't have lost that Oregon game, they did give up 533 yards of offense to the now-unranked Ducks and didn't look impressive in the process. Luckily, Dennis Dixon is an interception throwing machine and the Ducks put the ball on the ground three times (Oklahoma recovered twice).

Oklahoma-BSU will be an exciting game, especially if AP is playing at close to 100% (though he'll certainly be rusty). The line right now is BSU+8.5, and I think that's crazy talk. I think BSU is going to pull this one out.

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

quote:
Originally posted by Paul Goldner:
You know, EVERY OTHER college sport finds a way to do playoffs. I don't find the college athlete argument compelling, since all the other athletes are playing during finals too.

Which ones are those? I know Women's Volleyball does, but the basketball playoffs aren't during finals, and cross country's over for both men and women, which is before finals; men's golf playoffs aren't until June, which is after finals...; hockey's at the same time as basketball; crew's after finals in June again... I'm confused. [Dont Know]
Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged
Member # 7476

- posted      Profile for Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged   Email Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Carrie:
quote:
Originally posted by Paul Goldner:

Which ones are those? I know Women's Volleyball does, but the basketball playoffs aren't during finals, and cross country's over for both men and women, which is before finals; men's golf playoffs aren't until June, which is after finals...; hockey's at the same time as basketball; crew's after finals in June again... I'm confused. [Dont Know]
I don't think he means anyone else has playoffs around this time. I think he's saying other sports play during finals. I checked the NCAA Hoops schedule, the only 3 days without games are Dec 24-26th.

-edited for spelling-

Posts: 796 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mig
Member # 9284

- posted      Profile for Mig   Email Mig         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't belive that Schiano turned down Miami. Rutgers gave him an extension that uped his annual income to $625,000, with incentives. But Coker was making about 2 million. If he'd accepted Miami, Schiano could have at least doubled his earnings and coached at a school with NC potential. Is he holding out for a better offer? Maybe Penn State down the line? Does he know about some problems at UM that he doesn't want to be a part of? Just speculating, because I can't understand the decision. Sure he loves Rutgers, but he should strike while the iron is hot. I don't mean to disrespect Rutgers fans (please forgive me if I do), but he should try to stretch his abilities into a program that offers more upside. This is the most successful year Rutgers has had in decades, and it ends up in the innuagural Texas Bowl and I'd be surprised if Rutgers could repeat the success of this year any time soon. Alternatively, Miami, recent history excepted, should expect to compete for NC's or BCS bowl bids year after year. Whatever his reasoning, if I were a Rutger's fan I'd be happy today.
Posts: 407 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

quote:
Does he know about some problems at UM that he doesn't want to be a part of?
Problems? At Miami? Please.

[ROFL]

Ecthalion
Member # 8825

maybe he just likes Rutgers... wouldnt a NC be a slap in the face to all the other teams if he wins one or more there? Heck.. that would be worth it in and of itself....
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Rohan:
Just read this article at SI.com about the BCS and this comment was made:
quote:
Even if academia's powers-that-be had a sudden change of heart tomorrow and instituted a playoff, there would still be someone, somewhere determining who plays in it.
That's the point. It's much better and much more legitimate to have the debate be over who gets in at 7th and 8th, rather than 2nd. I mean, Wisconsin fans will be up in arms, but realistically, they'd have a very outside chance of winning 3 games in a row against top 10 opponents. And all the teams that everyone KNOWS should have a shot WOULD have a shot, instead of all of them being shut out except for ONE.
Thank you. It's so frustrating how deliberately obtuse Bowl Series supporters seem to be.

-o-

The other college football divisions can manage a playoff. When I was a kid, the season was shorter--ten games was typical. Now we have twelve games, minimum, plus possibly a conference championship, plus several bye weeks. The argument that there isn't time for a playoff is specious.

-o-

I don't think a Florida win validates the BCS. On the contrary, that creates a possible situation with a half-dozen teams that have just one loss. One could certainly argue that Michigan could defeat Ohio State on a neutral field, and Florida as well. A Florida victory on a neutral field does not prove Florida could defeat Michigan. Personally, I am rooting for a Florida victory because I think it leaves the BS in the most embarrassing position.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
"Wisconsin's 11 wins were over opponents with a combined 53-79 (.402) record. They got whooped by Michigan and didn't even play Ohio State."

Erm. If you watched that game, they did NOT get whooped. They played michigan closer then anyone other then ohio state did all year.

Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

Here's a little bit of background on the decision.

- First, Schiano is going to make about $1.25 million this year at Rutgers with incentives. This Sunday, Rutgers put together a 10 year, $20 million counteroffer in case Schiano was tempted, and he is already back in contract negotiations. More than the money, he wants a commitment to the program by the administration and expansion of the stadium.

- Second, Rutgers has definite championship potential, and if he stays long term, it will be a perennial top 10 program and NC contender. That's been his belief since he took over the program in 2000, and it's his belief today. It's just that more people are starting to come around to his way of thinking. There is immense talent in the state, it's just that other schools have cherry picked it for decades. You keep that all at home, and you've got a juggernaut of a program.

- Rutgers offers a lot more upside than Miami, and a lot less downside. Coker was fired after going 59-15 with a NC. If he did that in NJ, they might have elected him governor. Plus, with the new expansion plans to bring Rutgers into the 80k seat range, there will be plenty of money in the metro area to pay for the program. Rutgers is in the #1 media market in the world, and started capitalizing on it this year.

- Rutgers will have 9 wins next year at least, and again has the potential to go undefeated. It's a young team. This past year was the best freshman class in RU history, and now next year's is. Rutgers is on the rise, and Miami is falling apart at the seams.

- Miami has the some of the worst facilities in the country, a reputation for thuggery, an administration that turns a blind eye to the problems, and a penchant for losing star FL recruits to neighboring progams - and to Rutgers. And Schiano knows that better than anyone, because he worked there.

- If he stays long term, Schiano has the potential to be the next Paterno, Holtz, Lombardi, Bowden, etc. Coaches don't stay long term at Miami.

I think it's a good move. He's got a vision and he's following it - so far it's paid dividends.

Frisco
Member # 3765

quote:
Erm. If you watched that game, they did NOT get whooped. They played michigan closer then anyone other then ohio state did all year.
Erm, what about Penn State and Ball State, both of whom had chances to win in the fourth quarter?
Ecthalion
Member # 8825

quote:
I am rooting for a Florida victory because I think it leaves the BS in the most embarrassing position.

im not sure i see how that would be embarassing....
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

A Florida victory would vindicate the BCS system. It would mean that they did pick a #2 with parity to the #1, despite all claims that it should have been a Michigan rematch. If Florida gets annihilated, then people will say "See? It should have been Michigan".

Regardless, though, unless Florida does better than Michigan did against Ohio St., people will say they don't deserve to be there. And Michigan lost by 3 in the final minutes on OSU's home field.

Florida wins, and there is vindication for the choice. Florida gets run out on a rail, and people will just shake their head and say the BCS is still broken.

Frisco
Member # 3765

quote:
Michigan lost by 3 in the final minutes on OSU's home field
They only led for seven minutes, trailed for more than three quarters, and only had the ball twice with the opportunity to take the lead in the second half (and went 3 and out both times).

To say they lost in the final minutes is misleading. The Buckeyes moved the ball at will. Going into the half with a 14 point lead made OSU complacent and bored. They started the third quarter looking sluggish. They got sloppy in the second half and had no real sense of urgency. Were it not for the freak accident that was Troy Smith's only interception, Michigan loses by 13 even with OSU playing half-assed.

Michigan never had a chance. Sometimes I wonder if other people were watching the same game as I was.

[ December 05, 2006, 01:14 AM: Message edited by: Frisco ]

Mig
Member # 9284

quote:
Originally posted by FlyingCow:
- Miami has the some of the worst facilities in the country, a reputation for thuggery, an administration that turns a blind eye to the problems, and a penchant for losing star FL recruits to neighboring progams - and to Rutgers. And Schiano knows that better than anyone, because he worked there.

Amen, Brother.

quote:
- If he stays long term, Schiano has the potential to be the next Paterno, Holtz, Lombardi, Bowden, etc. Coaches don't stay long term at Miami.

I think it's a good move. He's got a vision and he's following it - so far it's paid dividends. [/QB]

It would be great if you turn out to be correct. College Football would benefit from having one more Northeast team that can build a fan base. But I would be cautious. But one successful year is not enough to turn Schiano into the next coaching legend. Plenty of underdogs/undervalued programs have had great years then tanked in subsequent years. I'm not convinced that Rutgers can do that until it does remain for competitive for year after year. On the other hand look at what Patrino has done at Louisville; they've been able to maintain and grow their excellence.
Posts: 407 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

Well, if you look at 1996-2000, the years I was an undergrad, our records were 2-9, 0-11, 5-6, and 1-10... for 8 wins over four years.

When he took over the program in 2000, it was about as low as it could get. In his first three seasons he won only 4 games, and no conference games, as he was building the program, improving the facilities, and recruiting players like Brian Leonard, Shawn Tucker, Ryan Hart, and Clark Harris.

In 2004, we went 4-7, then in 2005 we went 7-4 (first bowl appearance in 27 years), and in 2006 we've gone 10-2 (first back-to-back bowl appearances ever), as the recruits became more talented and he got more Jersey guys to stay home.

Now Rutgers has some of the best facilities in the country, several former NFL assistant coaches on the staff, continually improving recruiting classes, and massive popular appeal.

Five years ago, they were giving tickets away for free. Bought a Basketball ticket? Have a free football ticket for next year! Bought a football ticket? Have two free football tickets for your friends!

This year we averaged 41,150 in a stadium with a 41,500 capacity, and tickets to the Louisville game were going for $600+ a pair.

The future is looking bright, and I'd expect us to have at least 7 wins a year for a while and start making bowls a habit.

brojack17
Member # 9189

quote:
Originally posted by Frisco:
And don't even start with the "Oklahoma got a lame deal" whining. Their schedule was almost as much of a cakewalk as Wisconsin't was. They beat as many top 40 BCS teams as Boise State did (2), one by a single point, and one in a sloppy Big 12 Conference Championship game.

And even though they ultimately shouldn't have lost that Oregon game, they did give up 533 yards of offense to the now-unranked Ducks and didn't look impressive in the process. Luckily, Dennis Dixon is an interception throwing machine and the Ducks put the ball on the ground three times (Oklahoma recovered twice).

Oklahoma-BSU will be an exciting game, especially if AP is playing at close to 100% (though he'll certainly be rusty). The line right now is BSU+8.5, and I think that's crazy talk. I think BSU is going to pull this one out.

No whining here. If OU had played in that game the way they did toward the end of the year, it would have been a non-issue. You do have to admit, the refs blew that call.

The Big 12 championship game was a great game. Especially for OU's defense. How many times in the second half did OU stop Nebraska when they started with great field position.

I'll take this season over most for sure. I would just hope to get more out of the BCS game than Boise State.

I just hope it's a good game. I hate for the final game of the year to be a blowout. (See OU vs. USC from a couple of years ago. Unfortunately, OU was on the wrong end of the blowout)

Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

If nothing else, there are some compelling games to watch. I definitely want to watch OSU v. Florida, and also Michigan v. USC. I'll watch Louisville/Wake in the hopes that Wake will get plastered, and I'll watch BSU/Okla just to see if BSU is for real or not.

I don't have any interest in ND/LSU other than hoping LSU beats them soundly, continuing ND's streak of not being able to win a bowl game, despite the unflagging respect the voters give them every year. [Roll Eyes]

And I'm hoping to go to Houston for the Rutgers game, if my boss will let me off work for two days. :fingers crossed:

brojack17
Member # 9189

quote:
If nothing else, there are some compelling games to watch. I definitely want to watch OSU v. Florida, and also Michigan v. USC. I'll watch Louisville/Wake in the hopes that Wake will get plastered, and I'll watch BSU/Okla just to see if BSU is for real or not.

I don't have any interest in ND/LSU other than hoping LSU beats them soundly, continuing ND's streak of not being able to win a bowl game, despite the unflagging respect the voters give them every year. [Roll Eyes]

And I'm hoping to go to Houston for the Rutgers game, if my boss will let me off work for two days. :fingers crossed:

You will like Reliant Stadium if you have not been before. I lived in Houston for five years and got to see the Big 12 champ game there in 2003. Very nice stadium. Plenty of tailgating.
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

My girlfriend and I wouldn't be able to get there until like 2 pm on the day of the game - then it would be lots of tailgaiting, selling the t-shirts I designed, and hopefully a great game.

After that we want to check out NASA, definitely. Is there anything else of serious interest in Houston we wouldn't want to miss?

El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Dunno if you'll be awake the morning after the game, but I recommend the breakfast klub. This place breaks (shatters, actually) my cardinal rule about intentional misspellings, but man, it's worth it. It's a bit pricey (10-12 bucks a person for breakfast), but you won't finish your meal. And it's freaking delicious. Waffles, pancakes, grits, eggs, fried catfish and wings, and any other breakfast food you may want.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mig
Member # 9284

I agree whole-heartedly with this justification of the BCS selction of UF and OSU for the title game. http://www.slate.com/id/2154861/?nav=tap3

Essentially, the arguement is that the BCS exists to determine who is number one and deciding who is number two is not what the BCS is for. Michigan already showed us that it is not number one by virtue of losing tot he number one team, so that leaves UF. I never looked at this from this perspective before. This is also the best justification for the BCS system I've ever read. I like the BCS and think that part of the fun of college football is the debating about who should be ranked where.

brojack17
Member # 9189

quote:
My girlfriend and I wouldn't be able to get there until like 2 pm on the day of the game - then it would be lots of tailgaiting, selling the t-shirts I designed, and hopefully a great game.

After that we want to check out NASA, definitely. Is there anything else of serious interest in Houston we wouldn't want to miss?

Definately check out NASA. That is where I worked while I was down there. They just restored the Saturn V and it looks like it originally did.
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

I think the BCS is good "in theory" but not so much in practice - much like socialism, and No Child Left Behind. [Wink]

It relies too heavily on the biases and politics of coaches and conferences to really gauge who the "best" teams are.

There are what, eight computers cruching numbers? And the average of these eight ranking methods accounts for one third of the system? While coaches who may not have even seen the other top 25 teams play, and almost definitely haven't looked too in-depth at their numbers, have an equal share?

Maybe back the AP poll and boost the percent for the computers to 40%. That way you'd have the Harris, AP, and Coaches at 20% each, and the average of many computers at 40%.

The vote of one coach would weigh less, and the unbiased "statistics only" methods would count a bit more. Plus you'd have the people who are paid to watch all the games contributing to the mix.

Even so, though, there will be problems. The "plus one" post-bowl ranking to determine the NC is an interesting way of solving them.

Frisco
Member # 3765

quote:
The Big 12 championship game was a great game. Especially for OU's defense. How many times in the second half did OU stop Nebraska when they started with great field position.

I'll take this season over most for sure. I would just hope to get more out of the BCS game than Boise State.

Boise State may just well prove to be more than they can handle. [Smile]

I called the Big 12 CG sloppy because of the five fumbles, four interceptions, and Nebraska's defense. OU's defense was good. Their offense--not so much. Aside from one big play and a fumble recovery on Nebraska's 2-yard line, Oklahoma walked away victorious with a single drive over 40 yards. Granted the single drive was pretty impressive (99 yards in 11 plays), but they should've been able to move a whole lot better on Nebraska's 107th ranked pass defense.

BSU will not be so ineffective. OU won't get those big third down stops--not with the ball in the hands of Ian Johnson. And BSU doesn't turn the ball over like OU or NU. If the Sooners let themselves get outgained again (366 to 307 yards in favor of Nebraska), they'll have no chance in this one.

As a BSU fan, I'm a little disappointed at having to play OU. I was hoping for a #3 Texas team with only a single loss to #1 OSU. Instead we get a team that performed better against its weak in-conference foes than it did OOC (they gave up 403 yards/game OOC vs 3-9 UAB, 5-7 Washington, and 7-5 [*6-6] Oregon and 244 yards/game against Big 12 foes). And the one test they had in-conference they failed miserably--at home against Texas with a healthy Adrian Peterson.

El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I think you're underestimating Oklahoma's defense. They're very good.

I like Boise State's chances, but they're gonna have a tough time running the ball against that front 7.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

The BS is not good system in theory. It's a piece of crap in theory and a piece of crap in practice. And a Florida win does not vindicate it, because it does not prove that Florida could beat Michigan, or any of the other one-loss teams. And don't forget there is still an undefeated team out there. An undefeated shouldn't be locked out because "everyone knows" they're not for real; they should prove it on the field.

Rutgers will lose at least thirteen starters to NFL or graduation this year. I don't think the future is all that bright for them. It is true that there is more pressure to win at Miami. I can see why Schiano might prefer to stay where the expectations are lower.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ecthalion
Member # 8825

quote:
Originally posted by Icarus:
And a Florida win does not vindicate it, because it does not prove that Florida could beat Michigan, or any of the other one-loss teams. And don't forget there is still an undefeated team out there.

Well, there really arent that many one-loss teams out there i can only think of 3. But along that logic theres no way to prove any of them can beat florida. Even if florida loses to OSU, florida oculd potentially demolish Mich, yet you know if that happens Mich fans will be screaming how it was supposed to be them going and how it was a mistake to send florida. And in all honesty... as mush as i doubt UF or Mich can beat OSU.... i really really really doubt Boisie would get within 20....
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

quote:
Rutgers will lose at least thirteen starters to NFL or graduation this year. I don't think the future is all that bright for them.
We're not losing as much as you'd think. And all the NFL losses are graduating anyway - we don't have any NFL caliber juniors who can leave.

Beyond that, 58 players on the team have two years of eligibility left or more. Our entire aerial unit is comprised of freshmen and sophomores, and will only improve. Ray Rice is a sophomore, and is backed by talented freshmen Kordell Young and Jack Corcoran. Plus, our recruiting class next year is the best ever.

Our key offensive losses are Brian Leonard, Clark Harris, and Shawn Tucker - but all have been given a more limited role this year than they've had in the past. Our key defensive losses are Ramel Meekins and Devraun Thompson, but we have plenty of depth on defense (last year, when we graduated our two tackle leaders everyone said our defense was in trouble - instead, it got better). The biggest loss is probably punter Joe Radigan, who as of right now I don't think has a replacement in line.

quote:
It is true that there is more pressure to win at Miami. I can see why Schiano might prefer to stay where the expectations are lower.
I don't know how expectations can be any lower for players than they are in Miami. They'd probably recruit from the Taliban if they thought it'd get them a shot at the title. The fact that Coker had to request that his players didn't carry guns - legal or otherwise - is a pretty telling statement (especially with two players shot in the last two years, one fatally). A player in Miami stomped on another with his cleats, and got only a one game suspension - what sort of lesson is that? It's okay to assault your opponent, so long as your next game is against Duke?

Thug U is in full swing again, and I wish the best of luck to whatever coach decides to wade chest deep into that muck.

Icarus
Member # 3162

Brian Pata's death had nothing to do with any thuggery, and Pata was not a thug. If you want to start a ragging-on-each-other's-teams thing, that's fine, but leave this kid out of it. By all accounts he was a very classy kid.

You're right about Coker's lack of leadership, but then you criticize Miami for firing him. You can't have it both ways.

FlyingCow
Member # 2150

quote:
Brian Pata's death had nothing to do with any thuggery, and Pata was not a thug. If you want to start a ragging-on-each-other's-teams thing, that's fine, but leave this kid out of it. By all accounts he was a very classy kid.
I never mentioned him by name, nor said that he wasn't a classy kid. My comment wasn't directed at him, but at situation in Miami where players are in physical danger. Is this the environment a coach wants to get involved with?

What I've read is that in 1996, a linebacker was bludgeoned to death in his dorm room and slashed with a knife. In July of this year, a safety was shot in the butt, and a teammate returned fire. Then in November Pata was shot and killed.

Pata sounds like he was a good kid, but he was in a dangerous environment that resulted in tragedy. Compound the dangers off the field with the black-eyes Miami gave NCAA football with its actions on the field (brawls last year and this year). It's not an environment I'd want to step into, and I'm sure they were looking at Schiano's track record of character and integrity to give the school a much needed boost in that department.

He said no, and it's their loss. They need to find someone whose focus is on strength of character and cultivating responsible student athletes, and not on being an NFL player factory and "win at any cost" program.

quote:
You're right about Coker's lack of leadership, but then you criticize Miami for firing him. You can't have it both ways.
I don't criticize them for firing him - but for *why* they're firing him. Take all of the leadership problems of the past two years (brawls, guns, everything), and give Miami a 12-0 record and a shot at the NC, and Coker keeps his job. Dee, Shalala and Miami's administration don't care about the character of their players, just about the win/loss record. Coker even handed out three indefinite suspensions after this year's brawl... but only one was actually enforced.

Miami has problems that go beyond Coker. Having worked there as defensive coordinator, I'm sure Schiano is well aware of the downsides of the environment.

Rohan
Member # 5141

quote:
Sometimes I wonder if other people were watching the same game as I was.
I was. I was pulling for Ohio St. (sorry, I have extreme anti-Lloyd Carr bias) and I was never too worried. Even though I was screaming at Tressel during Michigan's last drive to bring some pressure (giving Henne that much time to throw is silly) I guess such a defense is designed to let the other team score (mission accomplished) but to take a lot of time to do it (also accomplished). Anyway. I though Michigan played about as well as they can play, and still lost to a mediocre effort by Ohio St.

quote:
i really really really doubt Boisie would get within 20
I bet you thought UCLA wouldn't get within 20 of USC either. That's the point. You don't know. Anybody can speculate (and anybody does) but until it's on the field all you have is a lot of BS and hot air. I'm tired of that, I get enough of it with politics. THAT'S why I hate the BCS, it FORCES coaches and fans to be political. People have ripped on Urban Meyer for commenting on the situation. Hello, people, he works in a system where convincing another person logically of the merit of your position is worth two touchdowns on the field. I mean, he can either run up the score on Arkansas or simply convince a few other coaches or writers that he could have, and the effect's the same.

A St. Louis Cardinals fan who doesn't want to debate with somebody over the VORP or win shares of Pujols vs. Beltran, or how "everyone knows" they don't have the pitching to shut down the Mets can just sit back and say "well, we'll see." and then, lo! the winner is decided on the field, instead of in the minds of sportswriters.

Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Word on sports talk radio down here is that Schiano is still in consideration for the Alabama job. Though Rodriguez looks like a front runner, the unofficial word from the university is that they are taking a good hard look at Schiano as well.
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ecthalion
Member # 8825

i expected USC to win. i didnt expect UCLA to keel over, so yes i expected UCLA to be within 20 points. In fact, the score was almost what i would have had in mind, just reversed. UCLA and USC are a closer matchup than BSU and OSU though.
  This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.