FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » A Trend That Concerns Me (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: A Trend That Concerns Me
Papa Janitor
Member # 7795

- posted      Profile for Papa Janitor           Edit/Delete Post 
Someone pointed out to me recently that they had noticed an increase in profanity, and I have to agree. There are numerous ways to emphasize things in a post without using language that has repeatedly been deemed inappropriate here. And no, changing a letter or two doesn't always make it ok (gosh darnit is still ok, and I make special exceptions for frack and gorram).

If there are honest questions on this, please ask. But please don't ask me to tell you exactly where the line is simply so you can skirt it as closely as possible (or how extreme this is, such as whether or not "zounds" is ok because of its religious origin). And while you may choose to post here what you think your justification is for why it should be ok, it has been requested by the owners of the forum (and agreed to by anyone who has registered) that you refrain, so please do.

Thank you in advance.

--PJ

Posts: 441 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nathan2006
Member # 9387

- posted      Profile for Nathan2006   Email Nathan2006         Edit/Delete Post 
Other than for gags, I'm not overly fond of profanity... Although I believe the taboo of it to be a more cultural thing, rather than a religious thing... Though I'm a Christian... But 'bloody' can be relatively harmless in america, in Great Brittian it's deemed as bad as the F word. It's all relative. (And no, I'm not encoraging moral relativism.) But yes, certainly, I try to avoid swearing as much as possible... If I have sworn here, I apologize. :~)
Posts: 438 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Is "By God" profane?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nathan2006
Member # 9387

- posted      Profile for Nathan2006   Email Nathan2006         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, 'under god' isn't, though 'above God' is probably sacreligious... 'Around God' is good, By God... Hmmm.
Posts: 438 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a couple of honest questions:

If you make an exception for 'gosh darnit', does that mean that other non-profanities that are obvious replacements for profanities are unacceptable? (ex. "shoot!")

Is it acceptable to use a phrase or word that very commonly includes a profanity, and it is obvious that the profanity is intended when ommitted. (ex. "sonuva!")

Finally, is either "holy carp" or the actual spelling acceptable?

I'm not trying to be difficult. These are honest questions that I ask only to avoid offense in the future, because I do use these commonly and will stop if deemed necessary.

Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Can we keep the "OMG, my ears can stop bleeding now! Thank you, Papa Moose!" comments down to a low roar if I promise to stop profanin'? I know I'm one of the prime offenders. [Smile]
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, that's my question. Is "OMG" also profane?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Papa Janitor:
But please don't ask me to tell you exactly where the line is simply so you can skirt it as closely as possible (or how extreme this is, such as whether or not "zounds" is ok because of its religious origin).
--PJ

I had no idea "zounds" had a religious origin. Now I'm going to have to go look it up.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
@^$$#*%^ *&%* &$^#%^!!!!!
Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
"zounds" was slang for "God's Wounds".
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I've see alot of people use "WTF?" some go as far as to say, "What the F?"

Is that really any worse then simply typing out the phrase? Most people do it to save time typing rather then a means to sensor their speech.

But I could be wrong, just thought I'd add that question.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
I feel uncomfortable every time I see OMG or WTF <edit>used in a profane context</edit>. Since Hatrack's the only forum I participate in, those TLAs are still tightly coupled in my mind with their respective phrases, and I find the phrases themselves quite offensive.
Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Now you've got me in all kinds of trouble Papa. I had to go look up the origins of "zounds" and ended up at this interesting site on minced oaths. So now I've got a new list of things to say when I'm POd but don't want to use something currently considered vulgar.

Here is my favorite: Dagnabbit -- which I have already modified to "Dang Rabbit".

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

Dagnabbit...the offspring of Dagonee and The Rabbit?
Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
You've never heard of Dagnabbit? What about Galdernit?
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
Dagnabbit...the offspring of Dagonee and The Rabbit?
Oh Please No!!!!
Papa Janitor
Member # 7795

- posted      Profile for Papa Janitor           Edit/Delete Post 
I figure if you (mainly to Tom since he asked but applying to others in general) mean it as it's written, then it's ok. If you mean "by God" as opposed to "unequivocably," then I'd say it's fine -- I just rarely (if ever) see it used that way. As for OMG (and WTF, for those who mentioned it), I personally consider it profane because of the way it's generally used, but I've been letting it go as long as it's not in a thread title (because I can personally read it as "oh my goodness"). Vonk, yours are ok, though I wouldn't encourage too frequent use.

Again, I'm not going to be sifting through anyone's posts to look for buzzwords -- but some pretty unsoftened scatological/sexual references had popped up recently, and I just don't relish the thought of having to edit them out.

--PJ

Posts: 441 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
On a somewhat tangentially related note, the last book I contributed to for White Wolf game studio was for their Werewolf the Forsaken line, which they abbreviated as WtF.

You'd think someone would have flagged that in marketing to say "You know, I don't think 'werewolf the forsaken' will be the first thing in people's minds when they see that acronym".

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
"I make special exceptions for frack and gorram..."

Whew!

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank heavens. My stars, that was close.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MandyM
Member # 8375

- posted      Profile for MandyM   Email MandyM         Edit/Delete Post 
I will edit my use of melons in the bra post. Sorry. [Big Grin]
Posts: 1319 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, there is a whole multi-verse of sci-fi/fantasy curse words that would just spruce up the place by demonstrating your broad range of learning. From Shakespeare's "A Pox on you" to Mork's "Shazbot" lets show some originality in our cursing. OK?

Call someone a Muggle if you need to.

I myself love, "Oh, dragon droppings"

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

It's a good thing none of us are star-worshippers, Katie. [Smile]
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I know. It's almost as if the tweaking in my post was deliberate.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dan_raven:
Hey, there is a whole multi-verse of sci-fi/fantasy curse words that would just spruce up the place by demonstrating your broad range of learning. From Shakespeare's "A Pox on you" to Mork's "Shazbot" lets show some originality in our cursing. OK?

Call someone a Muggle if you need to.

I myself love, "Oh, dragon droppings"

Wouldn't that be "Oh, fewmets"? Or am I misremembering my L'Engle?
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PUNJABEE
Member # 7359

- posted      Profile for PUNJABEE   Email PUNJABEE         Edit/Delete Post 
No offense to anyone, but is everyone here surfing the net in math class or something? I thought a lot of us here were beyond the age of gradeschool.

It may not be all that glamorous, but adults do use profanity.

From time to time.

Posts: 317 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Papa said:
quote:
As for OMG (and WTF, for those who mentioned it), I personally consider it profane
I personally dislike WTF because when I read it (in my head) it actually translates to the real three words. And I don't like having those words in my head. So for me, reading the initials isn't any different that reading the actual words. They may as well be there - because that's how its read.

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
A lot of us here are adults who respect the wishes of the site owners, and who enjoy posting in one of the few, very few forums on the entire Internet that remains civil and pleasant to visit.
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PUNJABEE
Member # 7359

quote:
Originally posted by Chris Bridges:
A lot of us here are adults who respect the wishes of the site owners, and who enjoy posting in one of the few, very few forums on the entire Internet that remains civil and pleasant to visit.

Hmm. Interesting. To others it just seems like a lot of adults with their heads up their collective ani.

Oh well.

Posts: 317 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
Now I'm going to sound as stupid as when I talk to my wife and son.

"Why you son of a... You dum... rotten mo... farf... GET OUT OF MY FACE!"

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

Bill Cosby. Gotta love the classics. [Smile]
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

To others it just seems like a lot of adults with their heads up their collective ani.

Something like this comes up whenever a request for cleaner language is made, and I have to admit I don't understand it. I really don't.

I cuss. I cuss in person, when I write, around my wife, around my friends. And yet I have absolutely no problem expressing my thoughts in places like this or around friends who dislike profanity or around strangers who haven't cussed first. Is it that difficult? Honestly?

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
And if it is all that difficult, perhaps improving your vocabulary is in order.

IMO and IME, for some people (and I have a few authors in mind for starters, as well as some people I attended chem labs with in college), using foul language is a sign of a stunted vocabulary.

Creativity is a wonderful thing. [Evil]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
Ay, I agree with Rivka. An excess use of profanity demonstrates a lack of communicative ability. Just like when, like, one of those like really annoying like people who like use "like" in every, like, sentence, like ya know? [Razz] .
There are always other words to use.

I put forth the words "Shribs" as an alternative curse word. As far as I know, it was created by some friends of mine years ago. I'm sure they wouldn't mind it being used here.

Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
Guess I should keep my coffee cup collection to myself then...
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

quote:

IMO and IME, for some people (and I have a few authors in mind for starters, as well as some people I attended chem labs with in college), using foul language is a sign of a stunted vocabulary.

*shrug* That's not really even remotely true, though. Overuse of expletive can be a symptom of having less intelligence, but using them normally, where they are accurate words for the situation, isn't ignorant. And that's the usage we're talking about here.

That said, I agree with Chris. [Razz]

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Please read Chris' post again. Then read mine, which was in response to his.

Please note my use of modifier.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
no, no, nighthawk, you can share it with me.

Someone in new hampshire has the license plate with the same letters as the mug on the left.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

quote:
Please read Chris' post again. Then read mine, which was in response to his.

Please note my use of modifier.

Yeah, I read them. And I still agree with Chris and not yours. [Razz]

We should be able to curb our swearing when around friends we know to be uncomfortable with it.

I still don't agree that use of profanity, no matter how many IMO, IME, and "for some people"s you put in, is a sign of ignorance--not here at Hatrack. If anything, it's a sign of politeness or lack thereof.

Sorry, the whole "swearing is a sign of a stunted vocabulary" just grates on me. Sometimes, expletives are just the best word for the job, and I can't remember anyone in my Hatrack career overusing them to the point of being perceived as ignorant.

Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps you should reread Rivka's post and apply the initial conditional ("And if it is all that difficult...") to the "some people."

In other words, if the removal of expletives causes one to be unable to express one's thoughts, then it is a sign...

Oh, and Rabbit, I love you to.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

I have, and I still contend that it's a politeness and sensitivity issue rather than an intelligence one. You're free to disagree.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
You mean, people have difficulty expressing thoughts without profanity because they are impolite or insensitive, as opposed to choosing not to do so because they are impolite or insensitive?
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

I think caring what other people are comfortable with is varying degrees of difficult depending on who you are. I doubt there's a person on this forum who couldn't replace an expletive with a more acceptable word if they had to. It's NOT that difficult. You just have to give a rat's...butt.
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't really swear, but I'm bothered by rather "innocent" words compared to the big ones being censored...
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Hmm. Interesting. To others it just seems like a lot of adults with their heads up their collective ani.

Oh well.

Those others are welcome to construct their own community at their pleasure, of course.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PUNJABEE
Member # 7359

Well, like someone in my Transformers thread so eloquently said:

"I'm enjoying myself here. I'll stay right where I am."

Boobs crap boobs. Hell damn fart.

Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
You're very daring, PUNJABEE. Very daring indeed [Smile] Such a rebel, you are.

I note you don't go into some of the other things said in that thread. No surprise there.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I've decided that from now on in someone is pretentious enough to use a Latin plural, I'm going to call them on failing to decline the noun properly. Consider yourself called, whoever done it. [edit] nevermind[/edit]

[ October 11, 2006, 10:39 PM: Message edited by: pooka ]

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

As a wise person once said, "I thought a lot of us here were beyond the age of gradeschool."
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Ooooh, I'm quoted. How flattering. Well, slightly misquoted, but the intent is there.

I disagree that the situations are analogous, of course, for the simple reason that since the Cards pay the bills they get to set the rules. You agreed to the rules when you agreed to the Terms of Service, otherwise you wouldn't have an account here. So enjoy whining about it!

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.