FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Massachusetts school bans tag (Page 4)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Massachusetts school bans tag
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
OK, here is a different take on this issue.
People are assuming that schools are depriving students of free play, that kids these days have no fun.

Well, I say that kids are so overstructured these days that they have no clue how to act when they have free time, or even free thinking space.

This is part of my developing "Gameboy Theory," that we are raising(as a society) canned children who get everything in small, difgestible doses and are rarely asked to think for themselves.

Add to this the concept of "Time on Learning." This is an offshoot of the ever-popular No Child Left Behind Act, which decrees that children must not have a single moment of their school time that is not focused on a curriculum framework.

Study halls? Oh, no!!! Enrichment blocks. Extra classes for teachers to prepare for, when they used to be able to meet with kids who needed extra help, when motivated kids could get their homework done, and when procrastinating kids could just, heaven forbid, relax for half an hour.

So, what I see is a group of children who cannot play tag anymore because they cannot play anymore, period.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
"Thunder Road"

Not it!

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

It took you way too long.
I call that you are it.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Pfft. I answered as soon as I saw it.

*Pushes Elizabeth*

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Fine. For Belle:

"I think I'll take a moment to celebrate my age,
the ending of an era, and the turning of a page."

You're it!

Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
:tattles on Icarus:
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

:wedgies Scott:
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Ow, ow, oww!

Mrs. Caaaaaaaaaaard!

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone else noticed that Massachusetts is spelled wrong in the topic line?
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
LOL. So it is. Too many letters in that state, anyway.

[Razz]

Duly edited.

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

[Razz] I totally didn't notice until this morning either.
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

- posted      Profile for sweetbaboo   Email sweetbaboo         Edit/Delete Post 
Just as an update, I heard on the radio (one of those quick news blerbs in between music sets) this morning that it isn't just tag that has been banned but any student touching another student during the recess time.

I agree with whomever voiced that it isn't the school/faculty's fault and I also agree that many students don't know how to enjoy free time. I think instead of removing the free time, that games should be taught either during recess and/or during P.E. time until spontaneous (and appropriate) games are happening on the playground.

(We had to do this at the school that I taught in and it took some time but it was effective and we had 3 recesses a day...we taught the rules to hop scotch, four square, kick ball, buddy tag *gasp*, and we explained what appropriate/inappropriate touch included).

Posts: 697 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by kojabu:
Has anyone else noticed that Massachusetts is spelled wrong in the topic line?

Yes. But I decided a while ago to try to let the typos that didn't interfere with comprehension go.

[OTOH, now I don't flinch every time I see the title. So it's all good. [Big Grin] ]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Um, hello?
That is the French spelling of our state. I was impressed that Flying Cow gave us the respect to assume we would know that. Apparently, that respect went unappreciated.
Sad, that.

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
More like Taxachussetts am I right?
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

Elizabeth: Too many letters are pronounced in Massachusettes, it can't be French.
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.