FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Q/A with Judaism. (Page 12)

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12   
Author Topic: Q/A with Judaism.
Sa'eed
Member # 12368

- posted      Profile for Sa'eed   Email Sa'eed         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Amanecer:
Well, first off, being "white" doesn't count as an ethnic group. Second, in America, it certainly isn't the minority.

They will be in 2050. Will it be okay to sing white pride songs then?
Posts: 668 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sinflower
Member # 12228

- posted      Profile for sinflower           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But Mormonism, Catholicism, and Atheism are multi-ethnic coalitions whereas Judaism is mostly defined by blood. The former three are a creed potentially open to all people whereas Judaism really does have a "people." Thus there's a tone of ethnic supremacy in a Jew declaring love for his people that is quite different from a Christian or an Atheist declaring love for his "people."
Are you similarly bothered by other ethnic minorities declaring love for their people?

quote:
They will be in 2050. Will it be okay to sing white pride songs then?
White people may be the minority in raw numbers by 2050, but they will still have a majority of the power. They'll be a minority in the way men are a minority. This is a flawed analogy.
Posts: 241 | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JanitorBlade
Administrator
Member # 12343

- posted      Profile for JanitorBlade   Email JanitorBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Sa'eed: Your comment about antisemitism on the previous page that I edited was not OK. Any similar comments will necessitate a more aggressive response.

Consider yourself warned. I understand you are feeling a sort of resentment that many groups of people can celebrate their ethnicity but if white people do it, it's racism.

Perhaps we lost that privileged when we started going out and enslaving/killing people on account of them not being white. I don't have the answers to these questions, but they are difficult and provocative. Please discuss in good faith.

Posts: 1194 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wingracer
Member # 12293

- posted      Profile for Wingracer           Edit/Delete Post 
The other thread got closed which is probably a good thing but if the moderators are watching, please don't close this one, especially for anything I may have inadvertently done. As for the other guy, I'm sure we can handle him. Let's give it a shot for a while.

I would like to ask a question (totally unrelated and I think uncontroversial topic) but maybe I should let things cool off a bit. Let me know if you all are willing to chat some more.

Posts: 891 | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JanitorBlade
Administrator
Member # 12343

- posted      Profile for JanitorBlade   Email JanitorBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
You'll note the original starter of this thread is the moderator. Believe me he hates to see a thread he's gleaned so much information from, and from which he hopes to continue to learn in die.

But that's the nature of the thing, it takes a lot more work to discuss difficult topics civilly, than it does to just wreck a thread by making people mad.

Posts: 1194 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Armoth
Member # 4752

- posted      Profile for Armoth   Email Armoth         Edit/Delete Post 
Wingracer, I'm happy to answer any further questions you have.

As I've mentioned before and I will mention again, Judaism takes converts. It is defined by blood, yes, but it's not all that exclusive if anyone can convert.

The celebration of ethnicity, I'd say, happens largely to unify others with shared experience, laregely helping them overcome challenges of adversity, or at least, providing comfort.
In law school there are a lot of ethnic student associations, the Latin Lawyer's student association, Jews, and even a Christian group.

Arbitrary celebration of ethnicity, I'd argue, is non-productive. If the unit you are tying yourself to has no purpose other than to make you feel good about yourself, unless you are currently being oppressed, it's non-productive.

Posts: 1604 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Perhaps we lost that privileged when we started going out and enslaving/killing people on account of them not being white.
If that were the reason, then pretty much no group on earth would have that privilege.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If that were the reason, then pretty much no group on earth would have that privilege.
On the one hand I agree, but on the other hand...well, us (certain kinds of) European-descended white people have a legacy, if we're going to examine it, of being some of the best in the history of the world at that sort of thing.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe. But "white" is so broad that it isn't a very accurate categorization.

Aside from that, I wonder who a person from China would point to as the most murderous race or nationality in history? I'd be surprised if it was "whites."

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
(Post Edited by Janitor Blade)

[ August 08, 2010, 07:10 PM: Message edited by: JanitorBlade ]

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

(Post Edited by Janitor Blade. I wish I could have said the vitriol ended here.)

[ August 08, 2010, 07:11 PM: Message edited by: JanitorBlade ]

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sa'eed
Member # 12368

(Post Edited by Janitor Blade, posting about your own religion's (not that I'm actually convinced Islam is your religion) problems as a way to somehow make disparaging remarks about another religion more palatable doesn't work.)

[ August 08, 2010, 07:14 PM: Message edited by: JanitorBlade ]

Posts: 668 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

(Post edited by JanitorBlade)

[ August 08, 2010, 07:14 PM: Message edited by: JanitorBlade ]

Armoth
Member # 4752

It's like you're both trying so desperately for passion's sake to play the characters that have been written for you.

Saeed. Come to know us. For real. Then pass your judgments.

Posts: 1604 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by PSI Teleport:
Maybe. But "white" is so broad that it isn't a very accurate categorization.

Aside from that, I wonder who a person from China would point to as the most murderous race or nationality in history? I'd be surprised if it was "whites."

It would probably be "white", but you're right that the categorizations are pretty broad. But when you're working at the level of (black, white, "Asians", and maybe Native Americans) there's not a whole lot of choice.
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sa'eed
Member # 12368

(Post edited by JanitorBlade)

[ August 08, 2010, 07:16 PM: Message edited by: JanitorBlade ]

Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
Bah, a pox on both your houses.
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Armoth
Member # 4752

quote:
Originally posted by Mucus:
Bah, a pox on both your houses.

::takes offense::
JanitorBlade
Administrator
Member # 12343

This thread is getting locked, I don't know if it will ever be unlocked.
  This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.