FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Q/A with Judaism. (Page 9)

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12   
Author Topic: Q/A with Judaism.
Shmuel
Member # 7586

- posted      Profile for Shmuel   Email Shmuel         Edit/Delete Post 
...oops. I guess so! [Smile]
Posts: 884 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think that's the shul I'm attending. Knesseth Beth Israel? I'm staying at a friend who lives on Bevridge?
That's my shul! We haven't been for the last 2 weeks b/c we were hit by rotovirus followed by a stomach bug. Isn't it a great congregation? We absolutely love it there. Do you have plans to come back?
Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Armoth
Member # 4752

- posted      Profile for Armoth   Email Armoth         Edit/Delete Post 
Can't believe I missed you. It was beautiful. I really enjoyed Richmond. I'm part of an acapella group and one of our members lives in Richmond - we actually did some singing at shaleshuddis.

Hope you're feeling better!

(Yup - I'm sure I'll be back!)

Posts: 1604 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adenam
Member # 11902

- posted      Profile for adenam           Edit/Delete Post 
What's your group called?
Posts: 399 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Armoth
Member # 4752

The Maccabeats. Yeshiva University's Acapella group.
Posts: 1604 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
:: groan ::
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobbie
Member # 3881

- posted      Profile for Dobbie           Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YptvNx4W5pk&feature=related
Posts: 1794 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Armoth
Member # 4752

haha! i can't believe you youtubed us...

Noemon, why the groan?

Noemon
Member # 1115

Is the name of your group not a pun?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

A very bad one. [Razz]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adenam
Member # 11902

Is it possible for there to be an accapella group whose name is not a bad pun?
Posts: 399 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Rockapella . . .

Ok, I see your point.

Noemon
Member # 1115

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
A very bad one. [Razz]

Hence the groan!
Dobbie
Member # 3881

I assume you're the Jewish one.

Do you guys ever begin a song with "It's Hammer time!"

Posts: 1794 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Armoth
Member # 4752

I'm the Jewish one? We're all Jewish...

Yes - it is traditional for an acapella group to have a pun as a name.

Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dobbie:
I assume you're the Jewish one.

Do you guys ever begin a song with "It's Hammer time!"

Worst. Movie. Ever. A million hours (that's what it felt like) that I'll never get back...
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobbie
Member # 3881

There was another video, with them singing their national anthem. It turns out that it's "The Star-Spangled Banner", just like ours.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
There was another video, with them singing their national anthem. It turns out that it's "The Star-Spangled Banner", just like ours.

You know they follow it up with the national anthem of the state of Israel?
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Armoth
Member # 4752

I'm pretty sure the announcer says that...
Dobbie
Member # 3881

Why is this night different from any other night?
adenam
Member # 11902

Go to a seder and find out.

Find a Seder Near You!

adenam
Member # 11902

Go to a seder and find out.

Find a Seder Near You!

Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Because tonight, a co-worker of mine who is engaged has to go to what sounds like an awfully dull dinner and answer that question [Wink]
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Armoth
Member # 4752

awfully dull? then you aren't doing it right. We voluntarily stay up till about 3 in the morning - it's awesome!
rivka
Member # 4859

^ What he said. I'm hoping the one I'm going to tonight doesn't run quite that late though.

I'm tired!

scholarette
Member # 11540

- posted      Profile for scholarette           Edit/Delete Post 
Not related and might have been covered, but why hasn't the temple in Jerusalem been rebuilt?
Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Because Moshiach (the Messiah) has not come yet.

May he come speedily and soon. Next Pesach in Yerushalayim!

scholarette
Member # 11540

- posted      Profile for scholarette           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks!
Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a question that has little to do with singing, youtube, or puns. Though I suppose if I tried hard enough I could include the last one ... [Wink]

I've read several times that "Jewish Tradition" and "Rabbinical Teachings" declare that "Abraham followed the law before he knew it." Implying, I think, two different things. The first being that Abraham discovered the need for, and at least partially the nature of, God without anyone to teach him. Which I guess comes in the context of an idolatrous father. Second, that before it was given him, or anyone, Abraham followed the law of Moses. This second part is implied in a more iffy manner but I have seen it. Can anyone comment on the accuracy of these things from the Jewish perspective?

Also, there are many different ages given for the patriarchs from Noah down to Abraham in different texts. It's been claimed that the Jewish texts, the Masoretic that of course also form the basis of part of the KJV, were altered so that Shem was alive long enough to have been Melchizedek, and thus bypass the problem of the "chief priest" (I don't even want to get into what that means in different religions! [Wink] ) in Abraham's time, to whom he paid tithes, not being a direct part of that lineage. Aspersions on Jewish record keeping aside, is there a tradition [aka 'teachng', I'm not sure about the best way to phrase that] that Melchizedek was Shem in Judaism?

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

Armoth: I dunno, she did say on the bright side that last time there was alcohol which combined with some quality of the food made her tipsy? *shrug* There was also the claim that there seemed to be a suspicious lack of lion-dancing or fireworks for a holiday.
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobbie
Member # 3881

quote:
Originally posted by Mucus:
quote:

Because tonight, a co-worker of mine who is engaged has to go to what sounds like an awfully dull dinner and answer that question [Wink]
Traditionally it's the youngest person there who has to answer.
Does your coworker know Hebrew?

Mucus
Member # 9735

She's Chinese, hence the differing expectations on what makes an exciting holiday.

I guess she would count as the youngest because of the engagement thing.

Minerva
Member # 2991

- posted      Profile for Minerva           Edit/Delete Post 
It's the youngest person who has to ask, not answer.
Posts: 289 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobbie
Member # 3881

The question and the four answers are generally all done as one recitation by the same person.
Minerva
Member # 2991

Actually, the "leader" of seder answers the questions.
Posts: 289 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobbie
Member # 3881

Actually there's only one question.
Minerva
Member # 2991

It's one question in four parts [Smile] .
Dobbie
Member # 3881

It's one question in one part, followed by an answer in four parts. [Hat]
Shmuel
Member # 7586

quote:
It's one question in one part, followed by an answer in four parts. [Hat]

Sorry, Dobbie; Minerva's right. Why do you think it's called "The Four Questions"?
Posts: 884 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Armoth
Member # 4752

Hobbes:

On the question of the patriarchs having observed the commandments. Yes. There are many midrashim and talmudic sources that say that the Patriarchs, Abraham, Isaac and Jacob kept the laws of the Torah before it was given.

There is a great book by Akiva Tatz called "Letters to a Buddhist Jew" - which takes questions from a Buddhist man and answers them, illustrating some of the most basic fundamentals of Judaism in a wonderful way. Maybe I enjoyed it more because I am Jewish, but ::shrug:: Aaaaanyways, he attacks this question in a cool way.

Rabbi Tatz explains that according to the Bible's genealogy, Adam was a contemporary of Noah and Noah was a contemporary of Abraham.

We are often taught (Jews in Yeshiva) that Abraham was the father of monotheism - that Abraham discovered God by observing the world and by deriving that there must be a creator. However, this is not exactly true. The people in Abraham's generation, or their parents, need only ask Adam - "Hey Adam, whose your daddy?" - Adam would reply: "God is my daddy!"

Rabbi Tatz, through use of Jewish sources explains that the people of that generation saw God has completely separate from this world. He compares worship of God to a more Christian worship - that this world is unholy and sinful, and that one must separate himself from this world to connect with God. Or to a Buddhist mentality - that one must leave the physicality of this world and enter a more spiritual realm.

What Abraham did was reject the assumption that to connect to the creator one must separate himself from the pleasures of this world. He discovered how to worship God through use of the physical world - uniting the spiritual and physical realms.

Jewish theological sources explain that the Torah does just this. Sex is not a sin, it is a commandment. Jews are commanded to rejoice on holidays with meat and wine, to enjoy life, but all according to God's precepts. The commandments of the Torah are the guidelines to use this world, to bring the spiritual to elevate the physical, and not reject it.

Back to the midrashim and talmudic sources that state the the patriarchs kept the laws of the Torah. Often, these midrashim are not meant literally but are meant to convey a certain idea. I believe that this is the idea they were trying to convey. The Patriarchs probably did keep some of the laws of the Torah, and may have even communicated with God as to the specific laws that were ultimately commanded later - but I think the point of these sources is to convey the message that the patriarchs worshiped differently than the religious men that preceded them. That they knew how to use the physical spiritually (and therefore "kept the laws of the Torah").

As for your second question. Yes. Many Jewish sources affirm that Shem was Malchizedek. Btw - in line with the answer to the previous question, Rabbi Tatz tries to show that Shem was a religious man but one who did not know how to use the physical in a spiritual way. He had to disconnect from this world in order to relate to God.

(Again, this post reflects my humble understanding and some opinion)

Shmuel
Member # 7586

quote:
Originally posted by Hobbes:
Second, that before it was given him, or anyone, Abraham followed the law of Moses. This second part is implied in a more iffy manner but I have seen it. Can anyone comment on the accuracy of these things from the Jewish perspective?

There are midrashim to that effect. Whether those are meant to be taken literally is an open question; it's possible, but really not important either way.

quote:
Aspersions on Jewish record keeping aside, is there a tradition [aka 'teachng', I'm not sure about the best way to phrase that] that Melchizedek was Shem in Judaism?
Yes. Though I'd say this one doesn't matter terribly much either. [Smile] I'm not aware of any problem that would arise if he were somebody else.
Dobbie
Member # 3881

These are statements, not questions.

quote:

Sheb'khol haleilot anu okhlin hametz umatzah; halailah hazeh, kuloh matzah.

Sheb'khol haleilot anu okhlin sh'ar y'rakot; halailah hazeh, maror.

Sheb'khol haleilot ein anu matbilin afilu pa'am ehat; halailah hazeh, shtei f'amim.

Sheb'khol haleilot anu okhlin bein yoshvin uvein m'subin; halailah hazeh, kulanu m'subin.

Armoth
Member # 4752

That's one question - 4 parts.

"Why is this night different than all other nights"

and then a demonstration of 4 differences.

Dobbie
Member # 3881

"Ma nishtana ..." actually means "How does .... differ?" The four statements are four different ways that it differs.
Shmuel
Member # 7586

quote:
These are statements, not questions.

quote:

Sheb'khol haleilot anu okhlin hametz umatzah; halailah hazeh, kuloh matzah.

Sheb'khol haleilot anu okhlin sh'ar y'rakot; halailah hazeh, maror.

Sheb'khol haleilot ein anu matbilin afilu pa'am ehat; halailah hazeh, shtei f'amim.

Sheb'khol haleilot anu okhlin bein yoshvin uvein m'subin; halailah hazeh, kulanu m'subin.

On the contrary; they're questions. Or if you prefer to parse it that way, they're items in the overall question. In each case, the query is WHY do we act in such a manner tonight, mixing signs of degradation and opulence in such a seemingly inconsistent manner?
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by scholarette:
Not related and might have been covered, but why hasn't the temple in Jerusalem been rebuilt?

Contrary to what Rivka said, while there are views that we have to wait for the Messiah to come and the Temple to fall from the sky, these ideas have very little basis to them. In fact, Maimonides writes that one of the things a person has to do in order to be recognized as the Messiah is rebuild the Temple. Which obviously can never happen if we wait for the Messiah to come first.

The immediate reason the Temple hasn't been rebuilt is that the Muslims would be somewhat irked if we were to clear off the Temple Mount to do so. And by "somewhat irked", I mean that it would make all of the violence that they're currently engaged in, and all of the violence that they've engaged in throughout history, all rolled together, look like a schoolyard squabble by comparison.

That's not a real problem, of course. The bigger issue is that the government of the State of Israel is deeply secular. Even the religious members of the Knesset are, by and large, secular in their outlook, viewing religion as something for the home and the synagogue, but not something that has relevance on a national level. They all hate and fear the changes that will take place once the Temple is up again.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
"Ma nishtana ..." actually means "How does .... differ?" The four statements are four different ways that it differs.

You're parsing the questions incorrectly.

Why is this night different than all other nights, so that (1) while we eat leavened stuff and matzah on all other nights, we eat only matzah tonight; so that (2) while we eat other vegetables on all other nights, we eat bitter herbs tonight; so that (3) while we don't dip even once on other nights, we do it twice tonight; so that (4) while we eat either sitting or reclining on other nights, we all recline tonight?

Yes, it's a run-on sentence, but that's the sense of it. The answer begins, "We were slaves to Pharaoh in Egypt..."

Dobbie
Member # 3881

http://tr.youtube.com/watch?v=2aRklCHar74&feature=PlayList&p=EE4F197F83F5C1EB&index=41
Shmuel
Member # 7586

quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
Contrary to what Rivka said, while there are views that we have to wait for the Messiah to come and the Temple to fall from the sky, these ideas have very little basis to them. In fact, Maimonides writes that one of the things a person has to do in order to be recognized as the Messiah is rebuild the Temple. Which obviously can never happen if we wait for the Messiah to come first.

Without addressing the merits of either side, I would just note that Lisa represents the viewpoint of a small minority here. The mainstream opinion, on religious grounds, is that it would be wrong to try to rebuild the Temple prematurely. Most hold that this would still be the case even if the land were unused by anybody else.

(Though the political ramifications do indeed add to the other religious reasons. The claim that bulldozing another religion's holy site and potentially setting off World War III is "not a real problem" is... mind-boggling, to put it mildly.)

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.