FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » If you hated Star Trek Nemesis... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: If you hated Star Trek Nemesis...
Marlozhan
Member # 2422

- posted      Profile for Marlozhan   Email Marlozhan         Edit/Delete Post 
...Why? Most of the reviews I read about the movie are negative, a lot of Star Trek fans didn't like it, and it flopped.

Which is why I don't understand why it's one of my favorite Star Trek movies, along with all the other even-numbered ones. Generations was okay and Insurrection was dull. I enjoyed the Search for Spock enough, too. But Nemesis is in my top 3 favorite ST movies, along with Undiscovered Country and First Contact.

I know Nemesis was a rehash of the Wrath of Khan, but since that was such a great show, that can't be too bad of a thing. I think Nemesis is underrated.

Posts: 684 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
***SPOILERS***

There is the transparent way they kill off Data while conveniently leaving a way for Brent Spiner to come back. (Not that I mind, I've alwasy lusted after him) But as a plot device, it was stupid.

[ November 30, 2006, 04:04 PM: Message edited by: romanylass ]

Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
***SPOILERS***

Isn't that the one that had Data singing at a lame wedding? I can't even remember who got married.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
First Contact was the only TNG movie for me.

edit: I believe the wedding was commander Riker and Deanna Troi.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
striplingrz
Member # 9770

- posted      Profile for striplingrz   Email striplingrz         Edit/Delete Post 
I love all the Next Generation movies. I wish they'd hurry up and do more.
Posts: 176 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never had the guts to actually watch this movie. I just don't want to see Data die (even if it is a semi fake-out).

*is a wimp*

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
I thought the bad guy was evil-hot.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I believe the wedding was commander Riker and Deanna Troi.
Lame.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
If Picard and the bad guy both went to high school I am pretty sure the bad guy would have more dates.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
I always wanted to see Troi and Worf stay together.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I always wanted to see Troi and Bev Crusher together.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
I had mixed feelings about Nemesis, but Generations was dreadful.
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
I enjoyed Nemesis. Insurrection was my favorite of the Next Gen movies though. Of course I feel rather alone in that sentiment.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:

[Eek!]

You learn something new about Tante Shvester every day.

Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Tante, sweetie... Is there something you want to tell us?
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by Stephan:
I enjoyed Nemesis. Insurrection was my favorite of the Next Gen movies though. Of course I feel rather alone in that sentiment.

As you should be! Every other person who liked that movie seems to have disappeared some have spotted small basketball shaped flying robots hovering next to people before they inexplicably disappear.
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I just think that Riker isn't a good match for Troi, and neither is Worf. Of the rest of the crew, Bev Crusher seems the most sympatico.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marlozhan
Member # 2422

- posted      Profile for Marlozhan   Email Marlozhan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by romanylass:
***SPOILERS***

There is the transparent way they kill off Data while conveniently leaving a way for Brent Spiner to come back. (Not that I mind, I've alwasy lusted after him) But as a plot device, it was stupid.

Yes, leaving an out for Data to live was a bit lame, though I doubt they will bring him back to play Data again given his skin just sags way too much. But then again, we are talking about Star Trek...

But this wasn't enough to dampen the entire movie much for me.

Posts: 684 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
quote:

As you should be! Every other person who liked that movie seems to have disappeared some have spotted small basketball shaped flying robots hovering next to people before they inexplicably disappear.
Heh,

It just seemed the most original of the Next Gen films. Vengeance, time travel, and borg themes have just been over played a little in my opinion.

Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

No way, José.

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ Worf & Jadzia like, foreverz. ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

I could see that.
Zeugma
Member # 6636

- posted      Profile for Zeugma   Email Zeugma         Edit/Delete Post 
As far as I'm concerned, Generations is the only Star Trek movie worth watching. Heroic-Picard-bouldering, endless talking, Kirk dying.... what more could you ask for? [Smile]
Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
I was snickering too much at Picard's "Mini-Me" to take the movie seriously. Some nemesis! It just didn't work for me.

[ November 30, 2006, 05:16 PM: Message edited by: Ron Lambert ]

Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Primal Curve:
quote:

No way, José.

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ Worf & Jadzia like, foreverz. ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

Or until she dies, whichever comes first. [Razz]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unicornwhisperer
Member # 294

- posted      Profile for unicornwhisperer   Email unicornwhisperer         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

I enjoyed Insurrection, I thought I was alone on that too. Generations is my favorite (I think I'm alone on that one though).
As for Nemesis the bad guy is cool but they just talk too much in the movie, have a battle at the end and thats it...

Posts: 1417 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
Zeugma, I would rate Star Trek IV, The Journey Home (a.k.a. "Save the Whales,"), as my all-time favorite. And what about Star Trek XIII: First Contact? I like the time travel themes.
Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

[Embarrassed]
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeugma
Member # 6636

- posted      Profile for Zeugma   Email Zeugma         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooh Ron, you're right, I did like the one with the whales a lot. [Smile] I never got into First Contact, though, the whole deal with the drunk inventor guy felt way too campy.
Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

I just have one thing to say to this thread:

"KHAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNN!!!!!!"

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
No question the best Trek film.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

I never "bought" Troi and Worf, but I did buy Jadzia and Worf.
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Khan and First Contact in that order the rest range from Good to god awful.

But Khan and First Contact are WONDERFUL. (I, too, could do without Zephram Cochran though.)

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

I'm intrigued by the fact that, of all the men in the ST:TNG/DS9 crew, Worf is the one who ends up being the ladies' man and the one who hooked up with most other regulars.
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

Oh, And Troi should have ended up with Ro Laren.

Laren could have given Deanna some spice and Deanna could have smoothed our Laren's rough edges.

Riker should have ended up with Soren, the Genii chick.

Worf and Dax II.

rivka
Member # 4859

It's the ridges, Megan.

mph, I kind of bought it, but only if I stomped on my inner voice screaming "Imzadi!" really, really hard. Worf and Jadzia just worked, no inner-voice-stifling required.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by The Pixiest:
Worf and Dax II.

You mean Ezri? She was entirely too cute and peppy for Worf.

Much better with Julian.

The Pixiest
Member # 1863

Ezri! How come I could remember Soren's name but not Ezri???
rivka
Member # 4859

Why can I remember the name of a fictitious character on a show I haven't watched in years, but not recall the name of the person I spent 30 minutes on the phone with on Tuesday?

Brains are weird.

The Pixiest
Member # 1863

I remember fictional characters a lot more redily than real people all the time =(

rivka
Member # 4859

It is true that I don't take most real people to bed. Once a week, every week, for weeks or months.
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

Rivka: That'd be itchy.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

Ill be honest Pixiest/Rivka, I think I do not grasp what on earth you two are now talking about and I am going to just leave it alone.
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by The Pixiest:
Rivka: That'd be itchy.

BB is not the only one who's confused . . .
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

I was just thinking if you took that many people to bed.... Oh never mind.
romanylass
Member # 6306

My mind must be in the gutter, but the whole senior staff of the Enterprise- whew!
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't even recall Troi and Worf together. Huh.
Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

I think it was just in the last season. Definitely shark jump worthy.
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
About the Khan/nemesis connection, here's my issue with that: Khan makes Kirk ANGRY. REALLY REALLY PISSED. Picard seems to go through most of Nemesis in a sleepy haze- he's neither particularly invested, nor at all interested in his "nemesis." Plus the plot is STUPID AS HECK. Let's see... an evil picard clone wants to go to earth and kill everyone... OK. Never heard that one before! There were no interesting side-plots, and even the Data story with B4 was like something out of a lame episode of TNG. The whole thing was phoned in, predictable, dull and stupid. Now that I'm thinking a little more about it, the fact that they were trying to connect it with Kahn (especially with the death of Data as a sacrifice for Picard) is a little insulting. Brent Spiner probably doesn't want to keep working on Trek because he thinks it's idiotic.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
And don't think, writers, that we don't notice that Picard TRIES to sacrifice himself in EVERY SINGLE movie, only to be saved at the last second. This is pretty lame.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
General Sax
Member # 9694

- posted      Profile for General Sax   Email General Sax         Edit/Delete Post 
It is my understanding that Spiner was concerned with the fact that Data should not gain weight or show age. It was not idiotic it was just becoming irreconcilable with the character. As for phoning it in, I went to the theater to watch another movie and the first I saw of Nemesis was when I arrived and decided to watch it, no buzz, no trailers nothing. What was the studio thinking.
Posts: 475 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.