FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Join My Indignation! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Join My Indignation!
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Well on my way back from my managers office I saw the following quotation written on the public white board.

"Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels."

Trying to live with a woman who is constantly bombarded with the idiocy of the media's ideal body type has pushed me to the point of feral rage when I see garbage like that. I honestly don't know whether to find the author who wrote it and pay for his/her therapy sessions or clip off pieces of their body with scissors until they scream, "TOO SKINNY!"

....Now that psychosis has passed.

That quotation really bothered me. The kind of bother that makes feel sadness in regards to the human race. The same reaction that was invoked when I read Stalin's quote for the first time,

"The death of one man is a tragedy, the death of millions is a statistic."

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
Being the father of four girls, I think about this almost daily. I just try to get them to be happy with themselves.
Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
Obviously that person has never had chocolate, or pizza, or a shrimp taco, or... Excuse me, it's lunch time. [Smile]
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BaoQingTian
Member # 8775

- posted      Profile for BaoQingTian   Email BaoQingTian         Edit/Delete Post 
I understand where you're coming from. Growing up, my wife was pressured by family, friends, and the media to conform to some impossible ideal (like the 85 lb anorexic model ideal). It took a lot of effort the first couple years of marriage to convince her that she looked great- and the really ironic part of that is that her BMI is well inside the normal zone.

On the other hand, I say almost the exact same thing as your manager wrote on the board to myself all the time. If I'm tempted by Friday doughnut day at work, I just tell myself that no matter how good that creme filled doughnut would taste, it's not worth the feeling of getting out of shape. Mine's more of an internal fitness motivation rather than an external image expectation. [Dont Know]

Posts: 1412 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I work with a woman who has a little dopey plaque hanging in her office: "Dear Lord, if you can't make me thin, please make all my friends fat."

I find this just as or more obnoxious than the "as skinny feels" thing.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, I find it about 100 times MORE obnoxious. The first could have been self-directed.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheGrimace
Member # 9178

- posted      Profile for TheGrimace   Email TheGrimace         Edit/Delete Post 
BlackBlade,
I understand where you're coming from here, but there is a fair amount of legitimacy there as well, just as BQT mentions...

The problem is that America (on this issue as well as others) is too much a land of the extremes. We have far too much media pressure to maintain that <100 lb anorexic figure, but we also have far too many >250lb people as well...

Certainly there are some portion where their weight is not entirely their fault, but it's hard to argue that we're a healthy nation in general. As a somewhat fat man I'd see that slogan and say to myself "yep that's more or less true" as long as it doesn't have a picture of Calista Flockheart or Kate Moss (before they slip through the cracks in the floorboards).

And the same generally goes for Stalin's quote. If he was using it as a justification for his actions then yes it's abominable, but as a simple statement of fact it's largely true (at least in terms of public opinion). It's not a pleasant thing, but when I hear a report about one man dead with some blurb with his name and life story it's much easier to muster up some sympathy than it is when I hear 100 were killed in a car crash. Obviously the 100 or 1000000 is a greater tradgedy, but as a human it's generally near impossible to wrap my head around the death of one individual, much less a gaggle.

Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Grimace: Oh believe me I censor myself all the time as to what I eat. Though I confess I am pretty prejudice as to what poisons Ill consume.

No icecream at all and no candy, but soda and fast food are always welcome.

Bear in mind though I fully understand that were I overweight it would be my responsibility to adjust my lifestyle to stop that fact. Even though I am at my ideal weight I still realize that exercise is important.

But the fact that my wife says to me, "I need to be skinnier for you." and I know she has gotten that notion from somewhere else, as I always tell her how beautiful she looks to me. She's 165 lbs she doesn't need to be a size 2 to look beautiful!

I don't value one extreme over the other, I just wish one was not constantly trumped up as beautiful. The Saudi Arabians have fat farms and that pisses me off just as much.

edit: About Stalin, I was merely saying that the truthfulness of that quote is what makes me sad.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pelegius
Member # 7868

- posted      Profile for Pelegius           Edit/Delete Post 
"or a shrimp taco,"

not eating shrimp tacos is a sign of good taste, nothing more. [Smile]

And good like trying to find a shrimp taco here in San Antonio.

Posts: 1332 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
BB, I am with you. I have know far too many women who have had relationships go up in smoke, not because their partners thought them too fat, but because they themselves thought that their partners would. Fat with a healthy self-image can actually be sexier than thin with an unhealthy self-image.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniK
Member # 3939

- posted      Profile for JenniK   Email JenniK         Edit/Delete Post 
Both my wife and I are overweight, but I didn't find the first comment offensive myself. I have been thin, and it DID feel better. Not because anyone told me it should, but because I had tons more energy, and it was easier to do active things.

I also blame no one but myself for being a bit overweight....and am seriously considering going on an active excersize plan, along with some form of a diet.

That comment seems to be very motivational to me, and sounds like something I would say to myself to keep myself on the right path.

Said to someone else it would probably be very rude though.

Posts: 325 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
crescentsss
Member # 9494

- posted      Profile for crescentsss   Email crescentsss         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:
I work with a woman who has a little dopey plaque hanging in her office: "Dear Lord, if you can't make me thin, please make all my friends fat."

I find this just as or more obnoxious than the "as skinny feels" thing.

I actually think it's remotely amusing, I read it as mocking society for being so weight-conscious. I never would have read it as being serious .
Posts: 97 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think JenniK has a wife.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Sometimes people surprise you.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
Was that Kwea?
Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
You think? [Wink]
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Not today. Today my head is stuffed with cotton wool.

Wet cotton wool.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steev
Member # 6805

- posted      Profile for Steev           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels."
This line is really intended for me. An 80lb overweight fat guy who can't stop eating copious amounts of tasty morsels. I was thin once. I remember what it was like. I'm going to make it a poster and pin it to my door.
Posts: 527 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BaoQingTian:
I understand where you're coming from. Growing up, my wife was pressured by family, friends, and the media to conform to some impossible ideal (like the 85 lb anorexic model ideal). It took a lot of effort the first couple years of marriage to convince her that she looked great- and the really ironic part of that is that her BMI is well inside the normal zone.

On the other hand, I say almost the exact same thing as your manager wrote on the board to myself all the time. If I'm tempted by Friday doughnut day at work, I just tell myself that no matter how good that creme filled doughnut would taste, it's not worth the feeling of getting out of shape. Mine's more of an internal fitness motivation rather than an external image expectation. [Dont Know]

I'm usually on the same page as you on these issues, Bao, but I want to point out that there's a big difference between a person who is already thin and in shape hearing that message and a person who is overweight and out of shape hearing that message.
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the original line might have been a typo. What it was supposed to say was, "Nothing tastes as good as Krispy Kreme donuts when they're still hot." Is it possible you just misread it?
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wonder Dog
Member # 5691

- posted      Profile for Wonder Dog           Edit/Delete Post 
What about those of us who don't remember ever being thin? I wieghed 125 lbs in grade 2. I'm sure being thin feels good - and I yearn to feel that goodness almost every day.

While some people can talk about their wieght and their feelings without becoming upset, I am not one of those people. Call it immature, or lazy or whatever, but when people talk about a) How good it is to be thin, and b) How you can be thin if you just work hard enough at it, I find it really painful.

Just being honest.

Posts: 353 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

Sadly, the quotation ignores those people that never feel that they are thin enough or who start to equate thin and "feel good". Plenty of people who don't feel good, think they will if they just get thin - and when that doesn't work end up with eating disorders. And, honestly, some of us fat folks still manage to feel pretty darn good.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
I think the original line might have been a typo. What it was supposed to say was, "Nothing tastes as good as Krispy Kreme donuts when they're still hot." Is it possible you just misread it?

You know Lisa when Krispy Kreme first opened in Utah in the city of Orem, people waited in line for those stupid things for seriously 2-3 hours at any time of the day or night. I suppose thats the quotation they had all heard [Wink]

Though I will admit Krispy Kreme donuts definitely still retain their tastiness long after other donuts have gone stale.

The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't want to make light of the seriousness of eating disorders or to offend those who have metabolic problems, but right now in the US obesity is a much more widespread problem than anorexia. Obesity is considered to be the number one public health problem.

I think it is unfortunate that so many people view being overweight as primarily an asthetic problem. They are more likely to worry about how they look or how attractive they are to other people than they are to worry about their health and how they feel.

The sign BB saw didn't say "Nothing tastes as good as skinny looks." But that seems to be how most everyone is interpreting it. What it talked about was how "skinny feels" which I understood to be referring to how much more energy and vitality you feel when you're physically fit. The only problem I see with it at all is that it seems to be equating physically fit with skinny which really isn't fair. Although obese and fit are pretty much mutually exclusive, skinny doesn't necessarily mean healthy.

If the sign had read ""Nothing tastes as good as physically fit feels", would you have found it objectionable.

[ December 11, 2006, 07:11 PM: Message edited by: The Rabbit ]

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Libbie
Member # 9529

- posted      Profile for Libbie   Email Libbie         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree, Rabbit. My husband is overweight, and I want him to get back into shape badly. Not because I don't think he's attractive, but because I think he's a heart attack waiting to happen. This whole country needs to focus on HEALTH. Overweight is not healthy, I don't care what anybody says, and underweight is not healthy. They both carry very serious risks.

However, I have to point out that the phrase "Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels" is MEANT to be interpreted both as "looks" and "feels." It's a very common phrase among the "pro-ana" set - the people, mostly online, who are pro-anorexia and try to help one another foster their eating disorders, or even develop them if they don't already have them. It's a scarily big internet support community that spreads all kinds of alarming advice about how to lose weight. "Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels" is one of their common slogans.

It's also wise to point out here that eating disorders are usually more about emotions and control in an out-of-control life than they are about physical appearance, too. Although there certainly are plenty of anorexic and bulemic women [edit: and men] who get started with their eating disorders because they want to look like models, or because having an eating disorder is considered tragically hip in many social circles.

What a great world.

[ December 11, 2006, 07:25 PM: Message edited by: Libbie ]

Posts: 1006 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Libbie
Member # 9529

quote:
Originally posted by breyerchic04:
I don't think JenniK has a wife.

Actually, when I first read that I thought it was my friend Jenni, with a new last name. She and her partner refer to each other as "wives" even though they haven't even had a commitment ceremony, or anything like that. I had to scratch my head for a minute and ask myself, "Did Jenni sign up on Hatrack when I wasn't looking?" [ROFL]
Posts: 1006 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Libbie
Member # 9529

quote:
Originally posted by Wonder Dog:
What about those of us who don't remember ever being thin? I wieghed 125 lbs in grade 2. I'm sure being thin feels good - and I yearn to feel that goodness almost every day.

While some people can talk about their wieght and their feelings without becoming upset, I am not one of those people. Call it immature, or lazy or whatever, but when people talk about a) How good it is to be thin, and b) How you can be thin if you just work hard enough at it, I find it really painful.

Just being honest.

[Frown] That is sad! Aww. I want to hug you now.

Have you seen a doctor about it?

DaisyMae
Member # 9722

- posted      Profile for DaisyMae   Email DaisyMae         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't find the statement upsetting. I agree that WAY too much pressure is put upon the image of being very thin, but little reminders like that help me make good choices. I'm not fat, nor am I terribly thin. I'm pretty average. If I don't be careful, I could get heavy. To me, being healthy (or "skinny," I suppose) really does taste better than anything else. I don't completely restrict anything, but I do try to moderate as much as possible.
Posts: 293 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nikisknight
Member # 8918

- posted      Profile for Nikisknight   Email Nikisknight         Edit/Delete Post 
It is probably just a couple people trying to encourage each other on their diets, perfectly innocuous.

But that's all I dare comment on the subject, as a human garbage disposal.

Posts: 105 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wonder Dog
Member # 5691

- posted      Profile for Wonder Dog           Edit/Delete Post 
Libbie - My wife and I have been seeing a dietitian about it for the last few moths.
It's going... okay. I recognize, though, that we have to change our lifestyles permanently - this isn't an attempt to "diet". And we both have some emotional hang-ups that affect our eating, so now we're starting to look at how we deal with those issues...

Talking about our emotional issues may seem like an excuse, but I know how powerfully they affect our eating. That's why I resent it when people use glib slogans to remind you that being thin is healthier - like it's a simple as giving yourself a pep-talk. Many people I talk to talk about weight-loss like it's simply a matter of willpower. Gosh, all my life then, I must have just not wanted to be thin enough to buckle down and do it.

(Sorry for the bitterness!)

Posts: 353 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steev
Member # 6805

- posted      Profile for Steev           Edit/Delete Post 
From personal experience, eating disorders and emotional issues are integrated so tight I see no difference. I may always psychoanalyze myself to discover why I chose the extra large tater-tots rather than the side salad but it goes much deeper than that.
Posts: 527 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not qualified to talk about most of this thread. I agree with The Rabbit that if "skinny" were replaced with "fitness" or "healthy" it would be near impossible to object to.

But the main reason I am posting is to express my horror that there is a group, let alone a "big" one, that thinks anorexia is a positive thing and treats it as a gospel to be spread.

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
I hate that we all just look for ways to put other people down. [Frown] I mean, if someone we're envious of gains weight, how many of us are secretly just a little bit pleased? On the other side, how many people automatically label rail-thin actresses or models as anorexic? Because after all, no one could be THAT thin unless they've got some horrible disease and are a terrible role model for women everywhere. And no one could be THAT fat unless they're a lazy slob. That way you can feel disdain for them more easily.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
I know two women here who are quite attractive and very healthy and I hear people say they are anorexic behind their back. I agree that it's uncalled for.
Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

Rabbit I agree that if it had said, "Nothing tastes as good as physically fit feels." I would have absolutely no objection. And perhaps the person made a mistake and meant physically fit but wrote skinny instead.

Its still a possibility the foolish person believes that simply being skinny equates to happiness as being skinny is easier to cope with in American society then obesity.

pH
Member # 1350

quote:
being skinny is easier to cope with in American society then obesity.
Depends. How do you define easy?

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by pH:
quote:
being skinny is easier to cope with in American society then obesity.
Depends. How do you define easy?

-pH

From my perception of things,

There is a greater stigma attached to being say X lbs overweight then X lbs under weight. Obviously this curves off at a certain point, but I think it is true within a pretty large spectrum.

pH
Member # 1350

A lot of the typical complains of the problems with being overweight apply equally to skinny people. Finding clothes, being looked on with disdain (as I mentioned previously). I'm not even really underweight (my BMI is around 18.3), and I have had trouble getting waitresses to serve me diet drinks, and I've had doctors who assume that if I'm concerned about the potential or weight gain on a medication, I'm anorexic. The argument that skinny people can shop at "regular stores" doesn't really apply in most cases, since most mall stores like Old Navy and Gap are really cut for an "average" figure, making them unflattering on skinny people as well. On top of that, I don't really get to talk about it with my friends. If I mention anything about my figure, I'm anorexic. A lot of the inconveniences of being skinny are dismissed outright. I'm just trying to point out there really is a lot of vitriol directed at BOTH ends of the spectrum, not just one.

Edit: To clarify, I mean social sorts of inconveniences.

-pH

Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Would it be less objectionable, but just as powerful if the quote was, "Nothing tastes as good as being fit feels."
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholar
Member # 9232

- posted      Profile for scholar   Email scholar         Edit/Delete Post 
18.3 is underweight for BMI.
Posts: 1001 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

quote:
Originally posted by scholar:
18.3 is underweight for BMI.

By .2 of a point. It's not REALLY underweight.

-pH

Libbie
Member # 9529

quote:
Originally posted by Wonder Dog:
Libbie - My wife and I have been seeing a dietitian about it for the last few moths.
It's going... okay. I recognize, though, that we have to change our lifestyles permanently - this isn't an attempt to "diet". And we both have some emotional hang-ups that affect our eating, so now we're starting to look at how we deal with those issues...

Talking about our emotional issues may seem like an excuse, but I know how powerfully they affect our eating. That's why I resent it when people use glib slogans to remind you that being thin is healthier - like it's a simple as giving yourself a pep-talk. Many people I talk to talk about weight-loss like it's simply a matter of willpower. Gosh, all my life then, I must have just not wanted to be thin enough to buckle down and do it.

(Sorry for the bitterness!)

That's okay! I really do understand what you and your wife are going through. My husband is the same way - eating is like a comfort thing to him, to deal with various stresses, and we're really working hard together to get him to change the way he deals with life. It's so hard, both for him and me. It's been two years of uphill battling! But we'll make it. [Smile] He's getting better about dealing with stress in healthier ways every day, so I am seeing light at the end of the tunnel!

If it makes you feel any better about the slogan in question here, it truly is something that mentally ill people say to each other to encourage one another to continue to be sick. It's quite sad, really. Whoever wrote that on the whiteboard was NOT just being glib or benignly encouraging a dieting friend - I believe that their choice to display a well-known "pro-ana" slogan in public is just a cry for help with their illness. [Frown]

Libbie
Member # 9529

quote:
Originally posted by Jim-Me:

But the main reason I am posting is to express my horror that there is a group, let alone a "big" one, that thinks anorexia is a positive thing and treats it as a gospel to be spread.

It truly is horrifying. And so many of the participants in this community are young girls. [Frown] The good news is that psychiatrists and other mental health professionals who deal with eating disorders are AWARE of the "pro-ana" stuff now and are working hard to steer their patients toward healthy, positive support groups instead of destructive ones.
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
a well-known "pro-ana" slogan
I dispute that this is well known to be a pro-anorexia slogan and so anyone who put it on the white board would have viewed it as such.

I, like others here, had no idea that there even were pro-anorexia groups let alone that this was one of their slogans. I find it very easy to believe that someone could have put this up on a board to benignly encourage friends to stay on their diets without any idea that it would be seen as encouraging eating disorders.

As I have mentioned before, obesity is a much more widespread problem than anorexia. That doesn't mean that anorexia isn't a problem, but given that obesity is such a widespread problem it seems riculous to see all efforts to encourage people to loose weight as promoting eating disorders.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

It does seem to imply that "feeling good" is only going to happen to those that are skinny.
The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
Originally posted by pH:
A lot of the typical complains of the problems with being overweight apply equally to skinny people. Finding clothes, being looked on with disdain (as I mentioned previously). I'm not even really underweight (my BMI is around 18.3), and I have had trouble getting waitresses to serve me diet drinks, and I've had doctors who assume that if I'm concerned about the potential or weight gain on a medication, I'm anorexic. The argument that skinny people can shop at "regular stores" doesn't really apply in most cases, since most mall stores like Old Navy and Gap are really cut for an "average" figure, making them unflattering on skinny people as well. On top of that, I don't really get to talk about it with my friends. If I mention anything about my figure, I'm anorexic. A lot of the inconveniences of being skinny are dismissed outright. I'm just trying to point out there really is a lot of vitriol directed at BOTH ends of the spectrum, not just one.

Edit: To clarify, I mean social sorts of inconveniences.

-pH

Where were you when we had this arguement a couple months back.

I had a BMI of ~17.5 for about 20 years until I was diagnosed with gluten intolerance. I'm now have a BMI of 20. I can second everything you've said about being skinny.

Even with a BMI of 20, I have a hard time finding clothes in most stories unless I'm looking in the teenage section and I really think I look kind of goofy in teenage styles now that I'm in my 40s.

Do you have any idea how hard it is to find size 4? I'm lucky if stores have even one item in my size. When I was a size 2 it was almost impossible to find anything that fit.

ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
That just blows my mind, because frequently I find that sizes 2 - 6 are the only things left on the rack when everything else has sold out. I was looking at a top yesterday that had roughly 6 XSs, 4 Ss, 1 XL and 2 1XLs. I needed an M.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

Murphy's law.

Where do you shop ElJay? I want to know where these rack loads of sizes 2-6 are.

Libbie
Member # 9529

quote:
Originally posted by The Rabbit:
quote:
a well-known "pro-ana" slogan
I dispute that this is well known to be a pro-anorexia slogan and so anyone who put it on the white board would have viewed it as such.

I, like others here, had no idea that there even were pro-anorexia groups let alone that this was one of their slogans. I find it very easy to believe that someone could have put this up on a board to benignly encourage friends to stay on their diets without any idea that it would be seen as encouraging eating disorders.

As I have mentioned before, obesity is a much more widespread problem than anorexia. That doesn't mean that anorexia isn't a problem, but given that obesity is such a widespread problem it seems riculous to see all efforts to encourage people to loose weight as promoting eating disorders.

If you don't believe me, google "nothing tastes as good as skinny feels" (with quotes) and click on ANY site that comes up. I guarantee you 99% of them will be pro-ana sites.

Edit to add: Actually, if you do it without the quotes, you get even more, because it also throws in the "...as thin feels" and the "...as being skinny feels" variations.

ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, with the quotes, the first three links were to the same Xanga community (that is pro-ana) and none of the rest in the first two pages had anything to do with it. Most were to "normal" weight loss sites, like WW and spark people, men's health, a couple of pages from people who did gastric bypass, and two links to this thread.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.