FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hatrack Conservative Motto (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Hatrack Conservative Motto
Euripides
Member # 9315

- posted      Profile for Euripides   Email Euripides         Edit/Delete Post 
Just added the last sentence to my last post, sorry.
Posts: 1762 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Objectivity
Member # 4553

- posted      Profile for Objectivity           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Pelegius:
As many of you know, I love Les Misérables, both the musical and the novel. Javert has always been the archetypal Conservative in my eye.

"For so it must be, for so it is written, on the doorway to paradise, that those who falter and those who fall, must pay the price."

I could agree with you about his being an archetypal conservative, but I would also point out that he's a one dimensional character who exists to serve the story. Real people don't have a script to follow or plot points to reach.

quote:
Originally posted by Pelegius:
I know what is said about me and those who hold similar ideals and think similar thoughts, that we are but madmen tilting at windmills.

I say better a madman with his spear aimed at a windmill than a sane man with his gun aimed at a human heart.

Here I stand, I can do no other.

Deep down inside, I think conservatives and liberals and those of all other sane political peruasions have the same ideal of peace, harmony and tranquilty. One key difference is that liberals create law as if they already live in that place and we, the people, just need proper rules in place to realize it; conservatives create law recognizing that we're not there yet and bases its rules on where we truly are in hopes of making it that ideal.

I think the issue at hand is that you're taking what you perceive to be the position of the Republican Party as the position of all members of that party, when in truth most convervatives (or liberals for that matter) have never read the party platform nor care what it says.

Posts: 50 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Sneaky edit! [Wink]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

Hey, is it true that eating too many can cause your skin pigmentation to change (i.e. become slightly more yellow)?
Posts: 1762 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Euripides:
Hey, is it true that eating too many can cause your skin pigmentation to change (i.e. become slightly more yellow)?

Too many whats?
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

Clementines.

I heard something about carrots doing the same thing though. I remember going to the pool with a family which ate a lot of carrots and thinking they looked a bit orangish, but I was a younger, more impressionable kid at the time.

It's probably not true. Or if it is, the change is theoretical/too slight to be noticed.

Hitoshi
Member # 8218

- posted      Profile for Hitoshi   Email Hitoshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Despite agreeing that many conservatives I've met actually have had similar attitudes to the OP's original statement, generalizing is disgusting, and I detest people that practice that with any group, political or otherwise.

There are plenty of conservatives that may believe something is wrong, but are good people with good hearts, and who don't want others to suffer. At least, I cling to that belief to keep myself from being insane. Can someone please verify for me that people can believe something is wrong and not feel animosity? Because, sadly, I don't come across that often...

But, even if I don't, I do recognize that out there, there are probably people who run the entire spectrum of conservatism. Taking the most far-out, extreme conservatives and using them to label a group is wrong. People have the right to believe however they wish and not be trivialized, harassed, belittled, or stereotyped for doing so. So please shut up and stop representing everyone left of center as hateful.

Posts: 208 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
generalizing is disgusting
Hey, quit making generalizations about generalizing!
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
As I understand it, clementines are also called satsumas. I have a box of them right here, and I'm going to go eat one. Possibly after dipping it in melted dark chocolate.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altáriël of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altáriël of Dorthonion   Email Altáriël of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
quote:
Originally posted by Altáriël of Dorthonion:
I sense a lock sometime soon.

The question is, will Pel be able to delete the whole topic before it gets locked?
Ah. Let's see how it goes. Want to place a bet on it?

I offer 20 red chips!

Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Oooh, chips! *eats the chips*
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Princess Leah
Member # 6026

- posted      Profile for Princess Leah   Email Princess Leah         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I've never had a clementine.

It is a darling name, though.

My code of ethics is such that I cannot allow this to go without recognition.

[Roll Eyes] [Laugh]

Posts: 866 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

quote:
Originally posted by Shigosei:

As I understand it, clementines are also called satsumas.

Yep, they're named after what used to be a province in Japan, home to great sweet potatoes and the last samurai rebellion.
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Euripides:
Clementines.

I heard something about carrots doing the same thing though. I remember going to the pool with a family which ate a lot of carrots and thinking they looked a bit orangish, but I was a younger, more impressionable kid at the time.

It's probably not true. Or if it is, the change is theoretical/too slight to be noticed.

My mom actually has a distinct orange tinge due to excess carrot consumption. It's the beta carotene.

I wouldn't think clementines had enough to have that effect, but who knows.

As for satsumas, they're in the same general mandarin family -- in the U.S., they get called a type of tangerine.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
carotenemia

FYI

[Smile]

Edited to add: more detail on carotenemia

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Princess Leah:
My code of ethics is such that I cannot allow this to go without recognition.

*pouts at not being accorded due recognition for "dreadfully sorry" response*

Oh, and erosomniac, I've only seen clementines packed in little wooden crates in the grocery store--they're not loose in the produce section. (Just in case the packaging is what's throwing you off the trail.)

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Yup, that's what my mom has. And she's not even a vegetarian -- she just really likes carrots. And squash. And sweet potatoes.
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Uprooted:
*pouts at not being accorded due recognition for "dreadfully sorry" response*

I noticed!
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
[Kiss] rivka!
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

Oh wow, so it is true.
Chanie
Member # 9544

- posted      Profile for Chanie   Email Chanie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by erosomniac:
Where does one obtain clementines? I've never seen them in grocery stores.

Clementines here in the Northeast usually come in little wooden crates. I've never seen them loose. Any only during certain seasons.
Posts: 159 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

[Blushing]

Ok, picture time.

Clementine
Honey tangerine (aka Murcott)
Mandarin family
Many members of the family
All kinds of citrus, including clementines, tangerines, and tangelos

beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Clementines, IMHO, is one of the most fun fruits to eat *ever*.
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Janitor
Member # 7795

- posted      Profile for Papa Janitor           Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry to lock such an interesting thread on clementines, but most of the first page just isn't community-building in any respect.

--PJ

Posts: 441 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.