FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Harry Potter Book 7 on 7-21-07 (Page 3)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Harry Potter Book 7 on 7-21-07
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Christine:
I tell you what, CT...your hat is thrown in and I'll give you trillion to 1 odds against your theory. [Smile]

Okay then, I'll put a dollar on CT's theory being right. If she's wrong, I'm only out a dollar, but if she's right...I'm rich!

Seriously, I wouldn't say that that is definitely what Rowling has planned, but I wouldn't be terribly surprised to see CT's theory proved correct.

quote:
Suddenly, the idea that Snape is still one of the good guys seems so reasonable. [Smile]
I'd be stunned if Snape weren't "one of the good guys". There is, in my estimation, almost no chance at all that he's fallen out of league with Dumbledore.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think JKR would consider Dudley late in life. Yes it is after he would have gone to hogwarts, but he's not near the end of his life, well unless Harry gets really mad, that would work in Me Myself's theory.

I am also 99% sure that RAB is Regulus Black, I can't find the exact text now, but in one language edition the black family is the Z____ family, and in that edition it says RAZ. JKR has also smiled when asked if it was the case but didn't answer either way.

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by breyerchic04:
I expect the one performing magic to be Mrs Figg, the cat lady.

Seems plausible.
quote:
Originally posted by katharina:
*taptaptap* Is this thing on?

*removes Katie's CoI*
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
"Late in life" is one of those things that can mean a lot of things to different people. Kind of like when my husband is working on his computer and says, "It'll just be a few minutes!" [Smile]

I think it would be highly amusing if it were Vernon Dursley, but also unlikely.

Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
*removes Katie's CoI*
I don't know what this means. See Oh Eye?
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
But Dudley would not be performing magic late in life, so it couldn't be him.

If it's not Petunia, then maybe it is Mrs. Norris, the cat familiar that goes around with Filch. Apparently she is an animagus who got stuck in cat form.

I do not think that it could be Arabella Figg (the "cat lady" who has been watching over Harry while living at the Dursleys); I think she was said to be a squib.

Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
If Dudley did it, it would be late in life compared to most wizarding kids, whose magical powers seem to manifest around the age of ten. I didn't take "late in life" to mean old age.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm, I don't really buy that, Shigosei--but if it were true, it would be funny if Dursley gave Harry a pig's tail.
Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Ron, yes Mrs Figg was said to be a squib, but being said she is a squib doesn't mean she isn't the one performing magic for the first time.

If Mrs Norris had been an animagus then she already had done magic (fairly high level magic) so it wouldn't be her.

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Besides Mrs. Figg it could be the other Squib prominently featured in the book-- Filch.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

I thought of Mrs. Figg and there's no reason it shouldn't be her except that, IMHO, it would be the least interesting character to do this. She's just not that important of a character.
Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

She is on the side of good, and very useful if something happens at the Dursley's, it would be an ooh moment. Mr Filch wouldn't be that interesting, it would require lots of text to make him have a reason, where Mrs Figg is easy.
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
Wait... what exactly was CT's theory?

I really, really don't see Snape as a bad guy. He's going to turn out to be a good guy after all. If he doesn't... well, then I'd have to say that Rowling did a great job of building a very subtle characterization completely without knowing what she was doing, which seems next to impossible from where I sit in the cheap seats.

I will also be very disappointed if Draco doesn't at the very least have an opportunity to redeem himself a bit.

As to who will die, I refuse to speculate. I don't think there are any sacred cows, up to and including Harry himself.

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I want Voldemort to win. It's totally a pipe dream, and it'll never happen, but it would be so awesome if it did.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by katharina:
quote:
*removes Katie's CoI*
I don't know what this means. See Oh Eye?
Cloak of Invisibility. [Wink]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

I'm now checking to see where Filch was during the battle at the end of HPB, I don't remember at all.
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by blacwolve:
I want Voldemort to win. It's totally a pipe dream, and it'll never happen, but it would be so awesome if it did.

[ROFL] Indeed.
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
"If it wasn't for you meddling kids and your %#%!@$@! dog, I would've gotten away with it."
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Olivet:

Her theory is that the soul of James Potter has secretly possessed Severus Snape's mortal frame for the past 17 years.
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Noemon, I'll lay my dollar next to yours. Sure, it's only a starter seed, but if this plant flowers, we'll have a beanstalk to rival Jack's anyday. [Smile]

Thanks, blackwolve! I'll check it out.

-----------

Ahhh, rivka, my nemesis ... *grin

-----------

quote:
This only works if one ignores the many, many, -many- times Snape has talked trash to Harry about James Potter...especially in book three, where he openly told Harry that James was part of a plot to do Snape harm, and only saved Snape out of fear of being caught.
PT, I account for this as self-loathing. Same as rivka, but expressed in a different manner. This is why he despises what he sees of himself in Harry, too.

Look, y'all, it's no matter who's right. We'll find out soon enough. I intend to bankrupt Christine, though. [Big Grin]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Puffy Treat:
quote:
Originally posted by Olivet:

Her theory is that the soul of James Potter has secretly possessed Severus Snape's mortal frame for the past 17 years.
Not necessarily. I said I bet there was a switch, but I didn't say where or when.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
About the whole late in life thing ... it could be Dudley, who saves Harry right before he (Dudley) dies. Just sayin, late in life could equate to "about to die" instead of "really old" or "late bloomer". I don't know though.

I also don't think Snape is James because he's been so sickeningly nice to Draco. I think that would be the hardest for him to pull off. It's a lot easier to fake being mean than to fake being nice.

Any by the by ... How old was Dumbledore? The dude must have been seriously old, so it's possible that it will be revealed that Dumbledore knew from the beginning of book 6 that he was going to die soon, which would explain Snape so quickly agreeing to take the Unbreakable Vow regarding his death. But then, I'm not sure why he wouldn'tve told more people. Just brainstorming here.

Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Mrs. Figg sounds very, very plausible to me. I expect the scene will take place early in the book while Harry is still at the Dursleys, and I'd bet it's Mrs. Figg. Figg and Filch make the most sense, given that it has to be an older person.

How many other non-Wizard characters does the story even have?

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liz B
Member # 8238

- posted      Profile for Liz B   Email Liz B         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"If it wasn't for you meddling kids and your %#%!@$@! dog, I would've gotten away with it."
[ROFL]

When talking about Pirates of the Caribbean, I ONLY use the term, "Puh-puh-puh-PIRATE GHOSTS!" As in, "Hey, look!
(POTC SPOILER)
Now Johnny Depp is a puh-puh-puh PIRATE GHOST! too!"

Posts: 834 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by ClaudiaTherese:
Ahhh, rivka, my nemesis ... *grin

*twirls mustache*
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

You know you can get that waxed, right?
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

The way Schmee waxed Hook's mustache in Hook?
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

breyerchic04, maybe Mrs. Norris was changed into a cat by someone else, and she did not want anyone to change her back so she could escape from an abusive husband, and Filch took her in. Or else Filch himself was the abusive husband, but likes cats. I thought it was hilarious in movie four when Filch was dancing with the cat, who was purring. There is some element of dysfunction there, it is just a question of what it is.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"Based on Rowling saying that one character who has never done magic will do some in an extreme circumstance late in life"
Could Rowling be saying "A character who has never done magic in the books will do....etc."

That allows for even Percy Wesley to fit the bill, unless there is an instance of him performing magic that I cannot recall, obviously he does use magic, just saying there is no instance of it happening.

I wonder if there are other wizards and witches who simply have not been recorded to have performed magic.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

I think the dysfunction is simple enough, she's a cat, he's a squib, they spend too much time together.
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

If an animaculus is a human who can take the form of an animal, is there a such thing as a humanculus, an animal who can take the form of a human? There was an episode from the second season of Charmed that dealt with that idea. A snake, a pig, and a rabbit were turned into humans, so three wannabe witches could have dates. Things got complicated when the humanculi exercised their new found free will, and decided they wanted to remain human. Things got even more complicated when it turned out the snake was poisonous. Oh well, I don't suppose JKR pays much attention to US TV fantasy.
rivka
Member # 4859

Animagus. And doubtful. Why would animals be able to do magic in the first place?
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Several animals/non-humans have magical properties, and can do magic like things in Rowling's world.

Sarah -

quote:
I think the dysfunction is simple enough, she's a cat, he's a squib, they spend too much time together
Tomayto, tomahto, let's call the whole thing off!

[Smile]

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
Several animals/non-humans have magical properties, and can do magic like things in Rowling's world.

The only ones I can think of clearly derive their magical elements from a human (either ancestor or one they associate with).
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
The one who'll do magic late in life is Filch.

Snape is NOT James, and he is not serving Voldemort (which is not enough to make him "good," of course).

Harry lives.

Voldemort dies.

Neville becomes the Herbology teacher.

We get to see McGonegal go medivial on someone.

Ginny, Ron, or Hermione die in a relatively early encounter with Voldemort, and this encounter will give Harry the clue he needs to figure out how to beat Voldemort.

(One theory on how V. dies: Harry goes to sacrifice himself, but the connection his blood creates with V. (from Book 4) means that V. dies. If this is the case, then Harry will not have gotten a clue as to how to defeat V. Rather, his plans will all have come to nothing before the moment of sacrifice.)

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, I'm a sap, but I really hope Ginny doesn't die. Ron and Hermione are fair game. I just think it'd be a low blow for Ginny to get offed. Or to end up with someone else. Oh, I'll just come out and say it - I want Harry to live a long happy life with Ginny. So sue me.
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Dr Strangelove:
I want Harry to live a long happy life with Ginny. So sue me.

Me too, but I'm not convinced it will happen in book 7.

Hooray for fanfic. [Wink]

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
We get to see McGonegal go medivial on someone
I hope so!

quote:
The only ones I can think of clearly derive their magical elements from a human (either ancestor or one they associate with).
There are tons of creatures that have magical properties, but there are also several intelligent non-humans who can either do magic outright or who have special abilities. Veelas and Leprechauns have special powers, and aren't human, or as a race, necessarily derived from humans. House Elves also have their own kind of magic that is not dependent on humans.
Christine
Member # 8594

quote:
Originally posted by ClaudiaTherese:
[QB] Noemon, I'll lay my dollar next to yours. Sure, it's only a starter seed, but if this plant flowers, we'll have a beanstalk to rival Jack's anyday. [Smile]

Hmmmm....this is actually beginning to sound lucrative if I can get enough people to put dollar bets on this. A thousand people put up a dollar because "it's only a dollar" and I'm up a thousand bucks.

Meanwhile, if Snape ends up being James after some kind of soul switch then maybe I can sneak back to reality through the same wormhole I must have left through. [Smile]

Too bad I'm such a softy. I could never bring myself to actually collect. [Smile]

kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
Wormtail kills Lupin. I just wish it was OVER already so I can stop dreading it.

Snape is a good guy.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fyfe
Member # 937

- posted      Profile for Fyfe   Email Fyfe         Edit/Delete Post 
Wormtail is NOT GOING to kill Lupin. It WILL NOT HAPPEN. The silver hand is to kill VOLDEMORT. Because Wormtail owes Harry a DEBT. And he's going to PAY it by KILLING VOLDEMORT. Lupin is going to live happily ever after with Tonks who he loves!

*deep breaths*
*sharpens knives to whack off Wormtail's arms if he tries to kill Lupin*

Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

I think I remember Rowling specifically saying that Wormtail's hand was not intended to kill Lupin...but I never thought it was so I didn't really pay attention to where I read that. I always figured that somehow Peter was going to use it to help save Harry because he owes him a debt.

I would be surprised if it were the final death blow, though. No good reason for that...just would be surprised.

Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

Thanks, rivka. I stand corrected. Should have looked it up. Animagus and humagus sound better.

Unicorns are magical. So are centaurs--remember the one who teaches a class in magic at Hogwarts? Dragons arguably are magical too, since they do not naturally exist (at least not at present--I have heard a theory that T-Rexes and possibly some other dinosaurs could breathe fire in the form of binary compounds that burst into flame when mixed).

blacwolve
Member # 2972

I think everyone should take a look at mugglenet's debunked rumors page, although I don't hold out much hope for anyone doing so.

Amoung other things:
Peter Pettigrew's silver hand will not kill Remus Lupin.

Dumbledore is really dead.

Mrs. Norris is not an animagus.

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I wouldn't be surprised if Wormtail is involved in helping to find some of the more obscure and well hidden Horcruxes.

Wormtail is one of those stupid minions that bad guys always trusts implicitly, because he never imagines the minion will ever grow the nerve to betray him. The best example that comes to mind is Saruman and Grima.

I think precedence bears out though, that these simple minions always have another layer that the bad guy never sees, and it usually becomes a thorn in their side.

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
If Voldemort dies, Wormtale should be allowed to slink away, as much as I hate him. I really would rather not have a, "Good always wins, and evil gets it's just comeuppance in one sweeping strike" ending.

I favor Filch as the one who will perform magic as well.

I remember Rowling in a press conference saying that one of the questions she was surprised nobody asked was "Why didn't Dumbledore try to kill Voldemort?"

I still don't really have the answer for that. I know the Prophecy states that in regards to Harry and Voldemort, one will kill the other, but I seriously doubt Dumbledore didn't try to kill Voldemort because he wanted to observe a prophecy.

If it was out of mercy why then did he go about with Harry destroying horocruxes, the aim was clearly to kill Voldemort and destroy all ties he has with the world?

I am unconvinced that Dumbledore saw some sort of good in Voldemort, "aka Darth Vader syndrome."

Was Dumbledore hoping that Voldemort would try to posses Harry as a way of observing the nature of the "love protection" Harry enjoys?

I really cannot see why Dumbledore would allow such a dangerous person to continue but clearly there was a purpose. I mean, Dumbledore did everything with ALOT of calculation and purpose. He certainly was not perfect as demonstrated by the fact he got killed, but he was very inteligent and I have yet to hear him articulate why he did this!

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

Blacwolve, if Mrs. Norris is not an animagus, then why does Filch call a cat "Mrs. Norris?"

Unless, as I suggested earlier, she was turned into a cat by someone else.

Which reminds me--all cats by definition are magical creatures. They are capable of telepathy, and sometimes--like Shroedinger's cat--can teleport.

Christine
Member # 8594

quote:
Originally posted by Ron Lambert:
[QB] Blacwolve, if Mrs. Norris is not an animagus, then why does Filch call a cat "Mrs. Norris?"

Last I checked, you can call a cat any darn thing you want.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

Also don't forget the Cheshire Cat.
blacwolve
Member # 2972

quote:
Originally posted by Ron Lambert:
Blacwolve, if Mrs. Norris is not an animagus, then why does Filch call a cat "Mrs. Norris?"

Unless, as I suggested earlier, she was turned into a cat by someone else.

Which reminds me--all cats by definition are magical creatures. They are capable of telepathy, and sometimes--like Shroedinger's cat--can teleport.

JK Rowling says Mrs. Norris isn't an animagus. I don't particularly care one way or another. I always found both Filch and Mrs. Norris to be incredibly boring characters.
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.