FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Greatest War Movie of All Time (Page 4)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Greatest War Movie of All Time
Euripides
Member # 9315

- posted      Profile for Euripides   Email Euripides         Edit/Delete Post 
+2 Der Untergang (Downfall)
-4 Guns of Navarone

Posts: 1762 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
+2 Sgt York
-2 Great Escape
-2 Bridge on River Kwai

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
libertygirl
Member # 8761

- posted      Profile for libertygirl   Email libertygirl         Edit/Delete Post 
+2 Sgt. York
-2 Gallipoli
-2 Glory

Posts: 143 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I would like to nominate Mean Girls. [Razz]
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
+2 Lawrence of Arabia
-2 Crimson Tide

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adam_S
Member # 9695

- posted      Profile for Adam_S   Email Adam_S         Edit/Delete Post 
+2 to Apocalypse Now
-2 to Kelly's HEroes
-2 to Platoon

Posts: 128 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
When we get to nominate new movies again, I'm going for the Seven Samurai.

+2 Apocalypse Now
-2 Platoon
-2 Band of Brothers

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I'm not voting down movies I haven't seen, either.

+2 Gallipoli
-2 Saving Private Ryan

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
14 Gallipoli
14 Full Metal Jacket
14 Der Untergang (Downfall)
12 Sgt. York
12 Glory
12 The Great Escape
12 Midway
12 Apocalypse Now
12 Lawrence of Arabia
12 Gettysburg
10 Das Boot
10 Band of Brothers
10 The Longest Day
10 Tora! Tora! Tora!
10 Grave of the Fireflies
8 Bridge on the River Kwai
8 Patton
4 Kelly’s Heroes
4 Guns of Navarone
4 Platoon

Eliminated:
Troy
The Thin Red Line
Gladiator
M*A*S*H
Jarhead
Tears of the Sun
Master & Commander
Three Kings
Braveheart
Enemy at the Gates
Red Dawn
Blackhawk Down
Zulu
Hotel Rwanda
Spartacus
The Great Raid
The Big Red One
Crimson Tide
Saving Private Ryan

+2 Gettysburg
-2 Sgt. York
-2 Kelly’s Heroes

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaGlick
Member # 9648

- posted      Profile for MaGlick   Email MaGlick         Edit/Delete Post 
+2 Platoon
-2 Glory

Posts: 22 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

What's wrong with Glory?

Or Gettysburg for that matter?

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
+2 Full Metal Jacket
-2 Glory
-2 Gettysburg

I had my reasons for both movies. Historical inaccuracies and I had problems with both scripts.

Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
+2 Full Metal Jacket
-4 Band of Brothers

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adam_S
Member # 9695

+2 Band of Brothers
-2 Full Metal Jacket
-2 Kelly's Heroes

Posts: 128 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

+2 Grave of the Fireflies
-4 Guns of Navarone

Posts: 1762 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
+2 Band of Brothers
-2 Gallipoli
-2 Der Untergang

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

+2 Sgt York
-2 Bridge on the River Kwai
-2 Great Escape

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

16 Sgt. York
12 Full Metal Jacket
12 Der Untergang (Downfall)
12 Gallipoli
12 Grave of the Fireflies
12 Midway
12 Apocalypse Now
12 Glory
10 Lawrence of Arabia
10 The Great Escape
10 Gettysburg
10 Das Boot
10 Band of Brothers
10 The Longest Day
10 Tora! Tora! Tora!
8 Patton
6 Bridge on the River Kwai
6 Platoon
2 Kelly’s Heroes

Eliminated:
Troy
The Thin Red Line
Gladiator
M*A*S*H
Jarhead
Tears of the Sun
Master & Commander
Three Kings
Braveheart
Enemy at the Gates
Red Dawn
Blackhawk Down
Zulu
Hotel Rwanda
Spartacus
The Great Raid
The Big Red One
Crimson Tide
Saving Private Ryan
Guns of Navarone

+2 Glory
-4 FMJ

Glory and Gettysburg's historical inaccuracies bother you over the rest of this list? Hoo boy. The speechifying in Gettysburg can be a bit much for some people, and maybe I wouldn't have minded it being 45 minutes shorter and lacking them, but what they got right (which is a lot) is still fantastic. Same thing with Glory, so far as inaccuracies and fantasticness.

Updated to 7:12pm

[ February 11, 2007, 07:13 PM: Message edited by: Lyrhawn ]

Liz B
Member # 8238

- posted      Profile for Liz B   Email Liz B         Edit/Delete Post 
+2 Glory
-2 Lawrence of Arabia

Posts: 834 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
libertygirl
Member # 8761

- posted      Profile for libertygirl   Email libertygirl         Edit/Delete Post 
+2 Sgt. York
Posts: 143 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
libertygirl
Member # 8761

+2 Sgt. York
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

+2 Apocalypse Now
-2 Platoon
-2 Patton

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Boy, oh boy, so many truly excellent war movies removed while others not so excellent remain [Frown] (I'm just complainin' cuz mine didn't make it, guys, no one get upset)

+2 Patton (fie, CT! [Razz] )
-2 Gettysburg
-2 Midway

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

(I have an emotional bias against the movie, and I freely admit it. Would've like to have stuck him with itchy briar thorns, that pompous strutting loon. [Big Grin] )
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

(Oh, well if it's a personal dispute with General Patton, then I withdraw my Fie-age. He was definitely a very controversial character...and probably not someone I'd want to be around for a big length of time. He was certainly crazy, and rude, and sometimes crazy like a fox.)
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

(It shouldn't really affect my judgment of the movie as a movie, though. This is one of those places where I am less than I would wish to be.)
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

(Dude-and I find myself saying that more lately, I need to restrict that damn word!-don't be ridiculous! In a film like Patton, seperating the film from the portrayl of the man is like trying to unscramble your morning eggs)
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
This judement system is creating some very odd results!
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
+2 Full Metal Jacket
-2 Glory
-2 Gettysburg

Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

14 Sgt. York
12 Full Metal Jacket
12 Der Untergang (Downfall)
12 Gallipoli
12 Grave of the Fireflies
10 Midway
10 Apocalypse Now
10 Glory
10 Lawrence of Arabia
10 The Great Escape
10 Das Boot
10 Band of Brothers
10 The Longest Day
10 Tora! Tora! Tora!
8 Gettysburg
8 Patton
4 Platoon
2 Kelly’s Heroes

Eliminated:
Troy
The Thin Red Line
Gladiator
M*A*S*H
Jarhead
Tears of the Sun
Master & Commander
Three Kings
Braveheart
Enemy at the Gates
Red Dawn
Blackhawk Down
Zulu
Hotel Rwanda
Spartacus
The Great Raid
The Big Red One
Crimson Tide
Saving Private Ryan
Guns of Navarone

+2 Gettysburg
-2 FMJ
-2 Sgt. York

Euripides
Member # 9315

-2 Lawrence of Arabia
-2 The Great Escape

Euripides
Member # 9315

-2 Lawrence of Arabia
-2 The Great Escape

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

?

I'm afraid to vote again!

Feb 11, updated to 7:12pm, Lyrhawn's post has Apocalypse Now at 12. I give it +2, nobody else touches it, and it's down to 10.

I'm not voting for Obama! No Obama! [Wink]

FlyingCow
Member # 2150

+2 Glory
-2 Platoon
-2 Great Escape

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
+2 Band of Brothers
-4 Sgt. York

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

Wow, BlackBlade, what didn't you like about Sgt. York so much?
Adam_S
Member # 9695

+2 Bridge on the River Kwai
-2 Tora Tora Tora
-2 Longest Day

tarantella
Member # 9943

- posted      Profile for tarantella   Email tarantella         Edit/Delete Post 
+2 Glory
-2 Bridge on the River Kwai
-2 The Great Escape

I like those films, but both are primarily POW movies that don't show the full spectrum of war.

I'm not adding All's Quiet on the Western Front, but that was my first war-what-is-it-good-for-movie experience.

(say it again)

-edit to remove inaccurate listing (I assumed votes in post after list were tallied after list-oops)

[ February 12, 2007, 03:47 PM: Message edited by: tarantella ]

Posts: 5 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

+2 Gallipoli
-4 Sgt. York, because the idea of Gary Cooper in a war movie kind of annoys me.

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

tatantella, your list is off, everyone please follow the list below. CT, I updated it to fix the Apocalypse Now error I made, and apologies for that.

14 Apocalypse Now
14 Der Untergang (Downfall)
14 Glory
14 Gallipoli
14 Grave of the Fireflies
12 Full Metal Jacket
12 Band of Brothers
10 Das Boot
10 Midway
8 Lawrence of Arabia
8 The Longest Day
8 Tora! Tora! Tora!
8 Gettysburg
6 Sgt. York
4 Patton
4 The Great Escape
2 Kelly’s Heroes

Eliminated:
Troy
The Thin Red Line
Gladiator
M*A*S*H
Jarhead
Tears of the Sun
Master & Commander
Three Kings
Braveheart
Enemy at the Gates
Red Dawn
Blackhawk Down
Zulu
Hotel Rwanda
Spartacus
The Great Raid
The Big Red One
Crimson Tide
Saving Private Ryan
Guns of Navarone
Platoon

Updated to 4:00pm

[ February 12, 2007, 04:05 PM: Message edited by: Lyrhawn ]

FlyingCow
Member # 2150

Gary Cooper in a war movie annoys you, but you voted for Charlie Sheen in one? o.O
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
tatantella, your list is off, everyone please follow the list below. CT, I updated it to fix the Apocalypse Now error I made, and apologies for that.

No worries! [Smile] I have done much worse myself, more times than I care to count. Thanks for the work of keeping an updated list.

+2 Grave of the Fireflies
-2 Patton
-2 Platoon

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by FlyingCow:
Wow, BlackBlade, what didn't you like about Sgt. York so much?

Its more people are voting -4 to two movies I thought were amazing. So I took the one I thought was overated on the list and did a BlackBlade reality check on it.

I don't think Sgt. York is bad per se. But the fact The Great Escape has 4 points and within elimination from a single post disturbs me especially with Apocalypse Now currently in the lead, I really think its overrated, while Band of Brothers is initially took a huge pounding.

Similarly, I think Glory is a great movie, but certainly not greater then Saving Private Ryan which for some reason is not as "great" as Tora! Tora! Tora!

Also what was bad about Charlie Sheens performance in Platoon? I actually think Platoon was a well executed movie, though I disagree with some of its conclusions. Yet it too is beaten out by The Longest Day.

Obviously the list is not going to remotely reflect BlackBlade's perception of reality but I'll do what I can do make it do so as much as possible. Expect future hostility to be directed towards one of the top 3 movies in the list, but I'll admit Glory is OK where it is for now.

Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

This whole thread is just a YMMV, Blackblade.

quote:

Gary Cooper in a war movie annoys you, but you voted for Charlie Sheen in one? o.O

See, I thought he worked really well in Platoon. [Smile]
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by Storm Saxon:
This whole thread is just a YMMV, Blackblade.

quote:

See, I thought he worked really well in Platoon. [Smile]
"Obviously the list is not going to remotely reflect BlackBlade's perception of reality but I'll do what I can to make it do so as much as possible. [Wink] "

Part of my "mileage" is that I am going to crush other's movies that I they may like but I do not and promote the ones I liked alot.

Initially I came into the thread determined to only vote against movies I have actually seen, but that resolve is being weakened daily.

erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
+2 Full Metal Jacket
-4 Band of Brothers

(anyone seeing a pattern here?)

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

Yeah, this thread is good for getting ideas for movies, but I'm not sure it represents the best war movie. [Razz]
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

No kidding. I've noticed that myself, but frankly I can't think of a system that'll work when most people haven't even seen half the movies on here.

I certainly don't think a system is just that lets someone vote -4 for Band of Brothers. [Wink]

FlyingCow
Member # 2150

The Charlie Sheen comment was as a response to the Gary Cooper comment. It's not that Cooper was considered bad in the role, but that the idea of Cooper in that role was annoying. Struck me as odd... especially since the idea of Charlie Sheen as the central figure in a war film (knowing his other work) is equally or more improbable.

Seemed a strange reason to knock down a good movie - though Storm may have had other reasons, surely.

BlackBlade, your reasoning actually seems more sound in my mind. You're applying relativism, I guess. Vote for movies to move them ahead of others, and vote down movies to move them behind others. I get that.

As for my own reasons, I find Great Escape and Bridge on the River Kwai to be more prisoner movies than war movies. And I just never liked Platoon all that much.

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

Well thanks Flying Cow [Smile]

Not that I want to discuss it in any lengthy way, but part of the dynamic of The Great Escape was that they were prisoners in a time of war and thus were OBLIGATED to try and escape. How the German's dealt with that aspect was an ethical dilemma. A big chunk of the movie takes place outside the prison.

But if actual battles or skirmishes are part of the requisite for a war movie Ill concede that, The Great Escape does not deliver in that regard.

erosomniac: Every -4 that you submit for Band of Brothers is a "-4 points of stock you've got in my book" [No No] It's proven that negative BlackBlade stock causes misfortune, true story!

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.