FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Greatest War Movie of All Time (Page 5)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Greatest War Movie of All Time
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Just ask Turin Turambar.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RunningBear
Member # 8477

- posted      Profile for RunningBear           Edit/Delete Post 
+2 gallipoli
Posts: 883 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RunningBear
Member # 8477

- posted      Profile for RunningBear           Edit/Delete Post 
+2 gallipoli

-4great escape

Posts: 883 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

16 Gallipoli
14 Apocalypse Now
14 Der Untergang (Downfall)
14 Glory
14 Grave of the Fireflies
14 Full Metal Jacket
10 Das Boot
10 Midway
8 Band of Brothers
8 Lawrence of Arabia
8 The Longest Day
8 Tora! Tora! Tora!
8 Gettysburg
6 Sgt. York
6 Bridge on the River Kwai
4 Patton
2 Kelly’s Heroes

Eliminated:
Troy
The Thin Red Line
Gladiator
M*A*S*H
Jarhead
Tears of the Sun
Master & Commander
Three Kings
Braveheart
Enemy at the Gates
Red Dawn
Blackhawk Down
Zulu
Hotel Rwanda
Spartacus
The Great Raid
The Big Red One
Crimson Tide
Saving Private Ryan
Guns of Navarone
Platoon
The Great Escape

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
Just ask Turin Turambar.

[ROFL] Job was known to have placed Band of Brothers very low on similarly themed threads.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
God, why so much Patton hate?

I'm not voting because I can't vote against the remaining ones.

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
+2 for The Longest Day because the Iron Maiden song of the same name rocked.
-4 to Gettysburg

Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
I still haven't voted against a movie I haven't seen.

And seriously, I doubt anyone could vote down Band of Brothers if they'd actually seen it.

Though technically, it's a miniseries, not a movie, so it should be disqualified anyway.

+2 Full Metal Jacket
-2 Glory
-2 Apocalypse Now

Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And seriously, I doubt anyone could vote down Band of Brothers if they'd actually seen it.
I honestly don't get the love for this series. It's not horrible, but it's completely unoriginal, filled with bad performances by bad actors, badly paced and, worst of all, commits the cardinal sin of being boring.

It is, to date, the only war program that I've actually fallen asleep watching. I got through the first four episodes, then gave up.

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
I sit corrected.
Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
+2 Sgt York
-2 Bridge on the River Kwai
-2 Gallipoli (purely based on BlackBlade's relativstic reasoning - I don't see it being legitimately so much better than Midway, Tora Tora Tora, Sgt York, etc.)

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
libertygirl
Member # 8761

- posted      Profile for libertygirl   Email libertygirl         Edit/Delete Post 
+2 Sgt York
Posts: 143 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
+2 Band of Brothers
-4 Tora! Tora! Tora!

Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rjzeller
Member # 8536

- posted      Profile for rjzeller   Email rjzeller         Edit/Delete Post 
pah! You've already killed off some good ones and left others off entirely, so:

Nominating: We were soldiers
-2 Glory
-2 Kelly's Heroes

Posts: 25 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

+2 Full Metal Jacket
-4 Band of Brothers

I'd use the -4 to knock We Were Soldiers, but I'm pretty sure we're done taking new movies, and I have confidence that We Were Soldiers would be voted off extremely fast anyway.

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
To the last I shall fight you erosomniac,

+2 Band of Brothers.
-2 Gallipoli
-2 Der Untergang (Downfall)

I can see how you might find it boring eros TBH. But I'm a history buff and I loved how I could so easily get immersed in the world of the characters. I felt the actors all did a wonderful job as I cared about just about every single one of them by the end of the series, Buck being the only exception, but that was more because I did not like the character and how he turned out rather then the actors portrayal.

The only war program I ever got bored with was The Thin Red Line because it felt like it expended all its ammunition for 30 minutes and then just groaned until the end of the movie.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

- posted      Profile for Euripides   Email Euripides         Edit/Delete Post 
+2 Der Untergang (Downfall)
-4 Lawrence of Arabia

[ February 13, 2007, 08:37 PM: Message edited by: Euripides ]

Posts: 1762 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

16 Full Metal Jacket
12 Gallipoli
12 Apocalypse Now
10 Glory
10 Das Boot
10 Midway
10 The Longest Day
10 Sgt. York
8 Band of Brothers
6 Gettysburg
4 Lawrence of Arabia
4 Tora! Tora! Tora!
4 Bridge on the River Kwai
4 Patton

Eliminated:
Troy
The Thin Red Line
Gladiator
M*A*S*H
Jarhead
Tears of the Sun
Master & Commander
Three Kings
Braveheart
Enemy at the Gates
Red Dawn
Blackhawk Down
Zulu
Hotel Rwanda
Spartacus
The Great Raid
The Big Red One
Crimson Tide
Saving Private Ryan
Guns of Navarone
Platoon
The Great Escape
Kelly’s Heroes

+2 Gettysburg
-2 Full Metal Jacket (just to bring it back down to earth)

Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
+2 Lawrence
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged
Member # 7476

- posted      Profile for Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged   Email Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged         Edit/Delete Post 
+2 Band of Brothers
Posts: 796 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

+2 Full Metal Jacket
-2 Apocalypse Now
-2 Gettysburg

FlyingCow
Member # 2150

+2 Sgt. York
-2 Bridge on the River Kwai
-2 Full Metal Jacket (using BlackBlade's relatively logic again. [Big Grin] )

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
libertygirl
Member # 8761

- posted      Profile for libertygirl   Email libertygirl         Edit/Delete Post 
+2 Sgt. York
Posts: 143 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
+2 Gettysburg (I like Jeff Bridges facial hair)
-2 Bridge on the River Kwai (ha! Die, bridge, die)
-2 Full Metal Jacket

BTW, for round 2 I nominate Paths of Glory (in addition to Mr. Roberts, which I nominated previously).

Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

Edit: Since we've established that I'm one of the only people actively voting against BoB and others are voting against movies purely to "keep things even," I submit that this is no longer interesting enough to keep me participating.
brojack17
Member # 9189

+2 Band of Brothers
-4 Tore! Tora! Tora!

Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

14 Full Metal Jacket
14 Sgt. York
12 Gallipoli
10 Apocalypse Now
10 Glory
10 Das Boot
10 Midway
10 The Longest Day
10 Band of Brothers
6 Gettysburg
6 Lawrence of Arabia
4 Patton

Eliminated:
Troy
The Thin Red Line
Gladiator
M*A*S*H
Jarhead
Tears of the Sun
Master & Commander
Three Kings
Braveheart
Enemy at the Gates
Red Dawn
Blackhawk Down
Zulu
Hotel Rwanda
Spartacus
The Great Raid
The Big Red One
Crimson Tide
Saving Private Ryan
Guns of Navarone
Platoon
The Great Escape
Kelly’s Heroes
Bridge on the River Kwai
Tora! Tora! Tora!

[ February 14, 2007, 03:50 PM: Message edited by: Lyrhawn ]

FlyingCow
Member # 2150

I don't think the voting is to "keep things even". I may think that Full Metal Jacket is a better movie than Lawrence or Arabia, for instance... I just don't think it was four times as good, which is what the previous tally pointed out.

We're down to a list of movies I have trouble voting down, because they're all pretty good. It's down to taking points away from movies I think are rated too highly at this point.

It's sort of like taking box office income away from Titanic, because it really isn't *that* much better than other top grossing movies. Man, though, do I wish I could do that... [Evil]

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

+2 Glory
-2 Apocalypse Now
-2 Der Untergang

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Have you seen Der Untergang Blackblade?
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Have you seen Der Untergang Blackblade?

No. I've read a synopsis of the film, and while I am interested in seeing it very much, it just does not seem to me to be a war movie so much as the story of the final days of a man and his comrades with war in the background. A similar criticism was leveled against The Great Escape.

Yes I acknowledge that my opinion is next to worthless until I've seen it. Also my resolve to only submit votes to movies broke on that last post.

Euripides
Member # 9315

-4 Lawrence of Arabia

Posts: 1762 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

quote:
I may think that Full Metal Jacket is a better movie than Lawrence or Arabia, for instance... I just don't think it was four times as good, which is what the previous tally pointed out.
I think your interpretation of the scoring is a little off. Full Metal Jacket is obviously not 4 times better than Lawrence of Arabia, but in my opinion, Full Metal Jacket is slightly better, and if that means that Lawrence of Arabia goes out in 9th place instead of first, it's because all of these movies are separated by like 1/10 of a point. For example, I would give Full Metal Jacket something like a 9.9 out of 10, whereas Lawrence of Arabia would get a 9.2.

Likewise, even the worst of these movies, in my book, ranks over 8.8. They're all great movies...but it's a lot of fun to play the game to find the greatest.

Lyrhawn, an idea: As we get down to a top 10, can we rank them as they get voted out?

+2 Full Metal Jacket
-2 Lawrence of Arabia
-2 Glory

graywolfe
Member # 3852

- posted      Profile for graywolfe   Email graywolfe         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
12 Apocalypse Now
12 Glory
12 Der Untergang (Downfall)
12 Band of Brothers
10 Full Metal Jacket
10 Gettysburg
10 Enemy at the Gates
10 Grave of the Fireflies
10 Sgt. York
10 Zulu
10 Gallipoli
10 The Great Escape
10 Das Boot
10 Bridge on the River Kwai
10 The Longest Day
10 Midway
10 Spartacus
10 Tora! Tora! Tora!
10 Patton
10 Blackhawk Down
8 The Great Raid
8 Three Kings
8 Hotel Rwanda
8 Saving Private Ryan
8 Platoon
8 Jarhead
6 Master and Commander
6 Braveheart
4 Tears of the Sun

Eliminated:
Troy
The Thin Red Line
Gladiator
M*A*S*H (sadly, ironically, a casualty of war [Wink] )

Updated to 10:35

Can't believe the thin red line was eliminated. What is this, "The Popular Front for the Muzzling of Terrence Malick"? Badlands, Days of Heaven, Thin Red Line, New World. He has yet to even make a mediocre film, let alone a bad one. Easily my favorite War Movie of all time, alongside Apocalypse Now and the film I'll give +2 too

+2 Dr. Strangelove
-2 Jarhead
-2 The Longest Day

Btw, are foreign films like "A Very Long Engagement" possible, or semi-obscure stuff like Paths of Glory?

Hopefully Das Boot will rise in the rankings, that is an absolutely extraordinary film.

[ February 14, 2007, 09:07 PM: Message edited by: graywolfe ]

Posts: 752 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

<--- Malick fan
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

How about this, launchy, I certainly didn't feel FMJ is the best of the movies, and it had the most points. So, a -2 it got.

Unfortunately, I haven't seen Downfall, Grave of Fireflies, or Gallipoli... so the voting is going to start to get tough. [Angst]

Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

How about that, Cow? :-)
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
+2 apocalypse now
-4 grave of the fireflies

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
+2 Gallipolli (I am so happy other hatrackers have seen, and loved this film. One of the best Australian films ever made, and an amazing, heartbreaking war film.)

-2 Braveheart (I liked it, but it's not a great war movie)

-2 Spartacus

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
+2 Apocalypse Now
-4 Patton

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

imogen, "Braveheart" and "Spartacus" are already out, so you might want to revote. graywolfe quoted a list from way back, and he also voted on a movie that was already eliminated ("Jarhead") as well as one not on the list anywhere (maybe could be nominated for next time?), "Dr. Strangelove."

graywolfe, you might want to recast your vote from the updated list as well. New nominations have been put on hold until we finish off the current choices, so hold on to that "Dr. Strangelove" thought. [Smile]

Lyrhawn's most current list (February 14, 2007 12:49 PM ):
quote:
Currently available for voting:
14 Full Metal Jacket
14 Sgt. York
12 Gallipoli
10 Apocalypse Now
10 Glory
10 Das Boot
10 Midway
10 The Longest Day
10 Band of Brothers
6 Gettysburg
6 Lawrence of Arabia
4 Patton

Eliminated:
Troy
The Thin Red Line
Gladiator
M*A*S*H
Jarhead
Tears of the Sun
Master & Commander
Three Kings
Braveheart
Enemy at the Gates
Red Dawn
Blackhawk Down
Zulu
Hotel Rwanda
Spartacus
The Great Raid
The Big Red One
Crimson Tide
Saving Private Ryan
Guns of Navarone
Platoon
The Great Escape
Kelly’s Heroes
Bridge on the River Kwai
Tora! Tora! Tora!

-----
Since that posting, the following votes have been cast:

BlackBlade
+2 Glory
-2 Apocalypse Now
-2 Der Untergang

Euripides
-4 Lawrence of Arabia

Launchywiggin
+2 Full Metal Jacket
-2 Lawrence of Arabia
-2 Glory

graywolfe
+2 Dr. Strangelove
-2 Jarhead
-2 The Longest Day

Samprimary
+2 apocalypse now
-4 grave of the fireflies

imogen
+2 Gallipolli
-2 Braveheart
-2 Spartacus

ClaudiaTherese
+2 Apocalypse Now
-4 Patton

[ February 15, 2007, 11:11 AM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

+2 Band of Brothers
-4 Lawrence of Arabia

Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
+2 Gallipoli
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
libertygirl
Member # 8761

+2 Sgt York
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

I think both Patton and Lawrence of Arabia have now reached 0. Does Lyrhawn count things up or down in order of votes cast, or does he just summarize what has happened since the last update he did? (Just curious.)
Adam_S
Member # 9695

- posted      Profile for Adam_S   Email Adam_S         Edit/Delete Post 
wow, I can't believe Lawrence of Arabia and Kwai have been voted off, since Saving Private Ryan, Great Escpae and Braveheart (how come I didn't realize They Were Expendable and Dirty Dozen weren't ever nominated) are also gone there's only three really great war films left, Band of Brothers, Grave of the Fireflies, and Apocalypse Now, and two almost great ones Downfall and Sgt York.

+2 Band of Brothers
-4 Gettysburg

Posts: 128 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
+2 Glory
-2 FMJ
-2 BoB

Another nomination for next round: Empire of the Sun.

Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

+2 Band of Brothers
-2 The Longest Day
-2 Full Metal Jacket

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

16 Sgt. York
16 Gallipoli
14 Band of Brothers
14 Glory
12 Full Metal Jacket
12 Apocalypse Now
10 Grave of the Fireflies
10 Das Boot
10 Midway
6 The Longest Day

Eliminated:
Troy
The Thin Red Line
Gladiator
M*A*S*H
Jarhead
Tears of the Sun
Master & Commander
Three Kings
Braveheart
Enemy at the Gates
Red Dawn
Blackhawk Down
Zulu
Hotel Rwanda
Spartacus
The Great Raid
The Big Red One
Crimson Tide
Saving Private Ryan
Guns of Navarone
Platoon
The Great Escape
Kelly’s Heroes
Bridge on the River Kwai
Tora! Tora! Tora!
Lawrence of Arabia
Patton
Gettysburg

+2 Glory
-2 Gettysburg (If anyone is going to kill this movie off, it will be ME. It should die by the hand of a friend and not an enemy)

CT - Usually I copy my most recent update list into Word then I go down all the votes cast since then and add/subtract as votes are cast, then put the updated list in a new post. The eliminations up there are listed chronologically, from first to last eliminated. Sorry to anyone who voted for something that's already been eliminated, I didn't get a chance to update the list again last night. I've decided we'll take the top three survivors from this round to the Final Round, and the top three from Round Two as well. Shouldn't be long now before this round is over at the rate movies are being eliminated.

FlyingCow
Member # 2150

+2 Sgt York.
-4 Band of Brothers

Now, I haven't seen Band of Brothers yet. But, this is a list for "greatest war movie", and Band of Brothers is technically not a movie at all, but a miniseries.

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.