FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hatrack's Own Right Off Thread (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Hatrack's Own Right Off Thread
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
I also ran it under the kitchen sink for a few minutes, followed by holding my hand in a bucket of ice water until it turned purple. Didn't do much to stop it from blistering though.

Another right-off: I'm typing this on my parents computer since my computer's hard drive just decided to die. Off to buy another one once I get a job...
*computerless* [Frown]

Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
Going to have to say goodbye to Hatrack for a few weeks until I can afford a new computer...
Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Nick, if you see a doctor, you'll get set up with some Silvadene cream and gauze. Good stuff, that. Well worth the trip, I'd think.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
Is Silvadene green? My Mom told me I put my hands on the stovetop to try to climb onto the counter when I was a toddler and a neighbor who was a nurse put some green gel on it. Apparently it worked quite well.
Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Silvadene is white and creamy, and good for wounds and burns (unless you are allergic to sulfa), and available only by prescription. It makes the burn feel better and heal faster. Try it, you'll like it.
[Wave] <-- see, it healed the graemlin's burnt hand!

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Right off:

Tonight was in my top three of worst nights ever at my job, and I can't remember ever wanting to just walk out on my job as much as I did earlier tonight. I can't begin to explain how pissed I was or how crappy and stressful tonight was, but imagine a 6'4 250lbs man yelling at you all night long because he's your boss who isn't doing very well at his job and thinks it is your fault.

Tomorrow or Monday depending on when I get up tomorrow, will be only the second time in three years of working at the restaurant that I will take a complaint above my manager's head to the assistant general manager. I don't like going over people, I like solving personal problems directly with the person who is annoying me, but this is just way too much. Tonight was a clusterfrick in general, and you know it's at that point when a kitchen manager tells the general manager (guy who runs the whole restaurant) that he should "go f yourself" about a half dozen times to his face, yelling it for all the restaurant to hear.

It was not a good night, but that little incident kind of cheered me up some, and bitching about it tomorrow will be a much welcomed catharsis as well.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Silvadene is AWESOME stuff. It healed a burn on my daughter's arm -- so well that it was almost invisible even a few months later, and is now completely gone.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
Yesterday I towed a boom lift an hour and a half to a job site that wasn't ready yet, blew a flat on the lift on the freeway, had to wait two and a half hours for the wrecker, was carrying a ladder on my truck that hit a drive through and busted out the tailgate, and just now I got in a fender bender in the company truck. Time to hide under a rock for the rest of forever.
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mama Squirrel
Member # 4155

- posted      Profile for Mama Squirrel   Email Mama Squirrel         Edit/Delete Post 
Mooselet Update (copied from an e-mail from 7/24, and cross posted on Sakeriver):

Well, we have some decisions to make now.

Due to changes in medical groups (and therefore doctors) we were 4 months late in getting Carl in for a check up on his feet. We saw the new orthopedist today. Dr. Maguire is a nice doctor about whom we had previously heard very good things (at the time he was not available through our medical group).

Our previous orthopedist (Dr. Stroberg) had mentioned a couple of years ago a surgery that might eventually be necessary. Well, Dr. Maguire mentioned that surgery today. Basically Carl's feet turn 15 degrees in from the hip line instead of 15 degrees out as they should (when laying on his tummy with his feet up). He said the surgery can be done now, or when Carl is 8, or 10 (basically anytime). Carl's hip rotation is fine. His gait is a little stiff, and he sometimes falls if he gets running too fast and trips himself. His ankles are also a little weak, but he has no pain. Dr. Maguire said it might be fine for Carl not to have the surgery, but he thinks it would be a good idea. Basically the hips can change until age 9 (rotation), but the tibia is set by about age 5.

The surgery is called a "tibial osteotomy." I tried to find something online, but everything I could find was about tibial osteotomies that have to do with arthritis (one of the knee and one of the ankle). Basically the tibia is cut through and then the foot is rotated and the bone is put back together and pins are inserted. After Carl spends 4 weeks in casts (and a wheelchair) the pins are removed.

There are pros and cons regarding when to do the surgery (during school vs. summer). During the school year he has something to keep his mind off of being in a wheelchair, although he would miss out on recess. If done during the summer he would have to watch his brothers enjoying time playing outside throughout the day. The casts could also get very uncomfortable with the heat.

So, yeah, we have some decisions to make now.

Posts: 399 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

- posted      Profile for Dan_Frank   Email Dan_Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
I went on vacation. I returned to find out that my mother's recovery from a bad car accident several months ago has taken a turn for the worse, and she will now need hip replacement surgery.

And someone stole 300 dollars from one of the stores I manage.

Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.