FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » HPMF = Florence's Mirembe School (Page 2)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: HPMF = Florence's Mirembe School
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Awww, I shouldn't have waited. Now she's fully funded as well!

Dragon, want to pick someone else? If you want to wait until tomorrow when there are more choices, that would be fine. I don't see anyone on there at the moment who matches the first two you picked.

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Dragon, the women in your link is also no fully funded.

What about this woman? She needs $250 more still, which would still leave $15 to be tossed to someone else.

Amazing how many women entrepreneurs there are.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
haha she's fully funded now too! This is crazy!

I'd say you should just pick someone Tatiana - they're all worthy of our funds, and clearly we can't wait long enough to discuss it or other people will happily provide the money before we can.

Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

- posted      Profile for Euripides   Email Euripides         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm happy to leave the decision to Tatiana. No need to wait half a day to choose a loanee. [Smile]
Posts: 1762 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Okay, folks, we're in business! [Smile] We just loaned $275 to Jose Dolores Ramos Cruz to help him expand his grocery store. He's got kids to support, his business helps the people in his area, and he seems like a good risk since he's been in business for a number of years.

Here is our jatraqueros lender's page.

Tomorrow starts March's fund. Papa, thanks for the sticky, but I think we can let the thread float from here on out. [Smile] I'm totally chuffed at what we've done, people! You guys are awesome!

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

What does everyone think of the person I picked? Do you like him?

He had all the qualities that Dragon stated, other than single motherhood. I like the idea of supporting single mothers, or of helping out women in third world countries where women often have very low status and lack power, economic or otherwise, to change their situation. However, it feels wrong to me to discriminate against men to accomplish that. This guy has an intact family, so when we loan to him, we're also helping out his wife and children. Eight for the price of one, so to speak. [Smile]

Do you approve of my choice?

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Good choice Tatiana [Smile]
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Do not doubt him, you have the possibility to help Jose Dolores and his family, and they would be sincerely thankful for your support.

[Smile]
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EricJamesStone
Member # 5938

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone           Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like a good choice to me.
Posts: 99 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

I agree. And I also really liked that sentece Storm. [Smile]
Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Okay, I'm glad you guys approve. Jose got his loan completely funded now, did you see?

You can ignore the stuff below if you're not interested. It's just the fine print and full disclosure and accountability part, for anyone who cares. [Smile]

jatraqueros lender report for Feb 2007:

Total collected:.....$279.09
Credit card fees:........$4.09
Total amt loaned:..$275.00

Remaining balance:...$0.00

What I'm doing is starting each month out with a $25 donation from me, then at the end of the month, I'm paying all credit card fees myself and rounding the number up to the nearest $25 increment, because you have to loan in $25 increments. I may or may not also donate 10% to kiva.org to help them with their operating expenses, since they work for free. They have servers and stuff they have to maintain. This month I didn't.

I put Wallis and Futuna as our country because you had to pick one, and I didn't think it was right to pick the U.S. or Canada since we come from all over. [Smile] They didn't have a selection for just Planet Earth, which I think is quite specific enough already.

Everyone should feel free to donate as little or as much as they want. $5 is fine, or $10, or even $1. By pooling our efforts, we can accomplish much more than any of us alone. [Smile]

[ March 01, 2007, 07:02 PM: Message edited by: Tatiana ]

Tatiana
Member # 6776

The March fund has begun. =) We're at $25 to start with.
Tatiana
Member # 6776

w000t! The March fund is now up to $75. =)
Tatiana
Member # 6776

$100 now. =)
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
If we end up stopping the loaning process for whatever reason (the site goes defunct, no one wants to manage it, etc.) can we agree that whatever's left in the fund will be donated to a charitable cause we all like, such as the Heifer Project (or kiva's operating expenses)? If so, then I'm willing to chip in some cash.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I think if it stops donating it to kiva's operating expenses is a great idea. [Smile]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
(We're tight this month, but we're paying off all our credit card debt, then probably in a few months refinancing our car, and so then we will have a little cash to spare, even with savings and paying on some personal loans. I will chip in some in a future month when we do. [Smile] )
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Yes, of course I will keep it going! I consider it a sacred trust! If it stops for any unforseeable reason, though, I'll just donate it to whatever cause people say.

One possibility would be sending it to kiva for operating expenses.

Another possiblity would be lumping it in with my other kiva fund, which is funded just by me, and continuing to keep it rotating forever. I have 13 businesses now in my portfolio. My lender page. Actually, I don't see any advantage to doing that. I would just keep rotating the money in the existing jatraqueros fund, because it belongs to jatraqueros.

But I don't see any reason for it to stop, really. Maybe if I get banned from hatrack? [Smile] You never know...

[ March 03, 2007, 10:09 PM: Message edited by: Tatiana ]

Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
I just like to have contingency plans [Smile]

Thanks for handling this, Tatiana. It's quite a cool thing to do.

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Contingency plans are good! Oh, and the way it works is we don't get any of our money back until a given loan is fully paid off. Then we get it all at once in our kiva account. At that point, it's available for us to loan again.

You're welcome! I'm really excited about it. I can just see this thing growing and growing until the income disparity in the whole world is greatly reduced. I think it's a fantastic idea whose time has come.

[ March 03, 2007, 10:21 PM: Message edited by: Tatiana ]

Euripides
Member # 9315

quote:
Originally posted by Tatiana:

But I don't see any reason for it to stop, really. Maybe if I get banned from hatrack? [Smile] You never know...

Clearly that would never happen unless someone got a hold of your hatrack password!

That's a nice looking Japanese maple; they're my favourite species of tree.

Posts: 1762 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

<laughs> I hope not! (getting banned, I mean)

I suppose Uncle Orson could decide to quit paying for hatrack, like Richard thinks he should do. In that case, I'd plan to keep the jatraqueros fund rotating.

Kiva itself could die or something, though it seems to be growing like crazy now. In that case, we might not get our money back, I suppose. I'm not sure what the possibilities are there.

Suffice it to say that I consider it money that belongs to the hatrack community as a whole, and I will do whatever you want me to do with it. Hey! I know! I can donate it to the next year's holiday season gift if Dr. Rabbit is still doing that by then. [Smile]

Ooooh, I love that tree! [Smile] It's seriously gorgeous. The birds love it too!

Tatiana
Member # 6776

One week into March. March's fund is $100. Thought I would give her a bump. =)
Tatiana
Member # 6776

A bump to add my nomination for the official title of the geekiest thing ever!
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
I must have them!!! [Razz]
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Originally posted by Tatiana:
A bump to add my nomination for the official title of the geekiest thing ever!

Ooooo
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Heh heh heh! Very cool! [Cool]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

I love browsing Think Geek, but I never actually buy anything.
Tatiana
Member # 6776

It's the 16th now and we're still at $100. Surely someone will chip in ten bucks soon just to keep the ball rolling. Our borrowers need us. [Smile]
Tatiana
Member # 6776

It's the 22nd now (well, very soon now). Happy equinox everyone (2 days ago). <celebrates> The nine day countdown starts now.
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Yay, we got another $15! March fund is up to $115. [Smile]
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Okay, it's almost the 24th so there is one week left! [Smile]
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Five more days in the March countdown! We have $115 now, do I hear $125? [Smile]
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Four days left in March. I hope we have one of those big flurries of activity at the end! =)
Dragon
Member # 3670

Do we have an idea of who to fund?

(and an excuse to bump?)

Tatiana
Member # 6776

Dragon, feel free to nominate. Anyone who is still around on the evening of the 31st I'll go for! [Smile]
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Coming down to the wire now. Only around 3 days left. Still at $115.
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Countdown continues. Two days. [Smile] Hurry and beat the rush!
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Only one more day!
Dragon
Member # 3670

This woman mentions school fees in her profile... so we'd be funding education as well as the business.
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Okay, she sounds good! [Smile] You are a good picker of borrowers.
Euripides
Member # 9315

Sounds good to me.
Dragon
Member # 3670

*bow*

why thank you!

Tatiana
Member # 6776

All right! We loaned $125 to Nora Topeto for her flea market business. [Smile] Our lender page now shows both our borrowers. This time I chipped in 10% for kiva's operating expenses, so Premal and the guys can get by. I think what they're doing is awesome! [Smile]

Here's a screen capture of our portfolio as it stands now.

I give all of y'all a high five for what we're doing. Hatrack rawks! [Smile]

In case anyone's interested, I added a couple more borrowers to my personal lender page as well, lately (using my own money of course and not jatraquero funds). (Understand that I loan small amounts to each one, as my personal strategy, so Hatrack does far more than I can do myself.) In particular there was one lady with 4 kids whose husband kicked her out when he found she was using birth control. I just had to choose her! I get such a feeling of excitement and happiness watching the list grow longer, that I wanted to share it with y'all. <beams> I love the feeling that it's just going to snowball, as old loans are paid back and new are generated. Here is a tiny beginning of something that has the potential to become huge someday, and to transform the world into a place where everyone has enough, where respect and kindness for each other is the dominant feature of politics, and where we work together to overcome the challenges that beset us. [Smile] I get all inspired and stuff about it. [Smile]

[ March 31, 2007, 02:51 PM: Message edited by: Tatiana ]

Dragon
Member # 3670

yay!
Tatiana
Member # 6776

All right! April has started! We're at $25 for April.
Tatiana
Member # 6776

One week into April we're still at $25. [Smile]
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
I really want to donate, but it's tax month and we're getting killed. Next fall our finances should be much better, and I'll be able to start regular monthly donations.
Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

That would be awesome, Jhai!

Everyone, even if we can give just a little bit, just $5, it will really add up. If we do it regularly then no matter how gradually it starts, it will keep going, keep snowballing, until it's like an avalanche or a mighty river. =)

Right now it's a baby that we have to feed to keep it alive and growing. [Smile]

Tatiana
Member # 6776

Time for a bump. April is officially 11/30ths over, and we have $25.

In other news, I'm starting a wiki about averting human extinction. So far I've reserved the domain name avertinghumanextinction.org. Then my volunteer IT department went to sleep. =) (Thanks, Josh!)

Anyone have any good suggestions?

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.