FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Transformers!!!! *squee*!! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The Transformers!!!! *squee*!!
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
EDIT: FINE. I changed the title. I think I may have misinterpreted mph's words so I decided that I wanted to change it just because it seemed like this was becoming a ridiculously big argument over absolutely nothing. I changed it, but I still feel that thinking of OMG as an expletive is rather incredibly prudish.

I just saw the trailer!! I don't think I've ever been as excited about one until now!

The visuals look so freakin' COOL!!

*squeee!!*

I think this could actually work as a live action movie, contrary to popular belief!

Watch the trailer! OMG OMG

[ March 30, 2007, 02:07 PM: Message edited by: Altáriël of Dorthonion ]

Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
Michael Bay movies are just great for that "I don't want to think about anything for the next hour and a half" feeling. Pure visual entertainment.

Someday, maybe he'll tell a good story too.

Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
I spontaneously went into a sililoquy the other night on a drive home with the roommates about how easily I can get emotional over Transformers.

"Well first off, they're robots. In disguise."

Count me in as ridiculously excited.

Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stihl1
Member # 1562

- posted      Profile for stihl1   Email stihl1         Edit/Delete Post 
I too am very excited about this movie. BUt I have a real problem with Optimus Prime being a conventional instead of a cab-over.
Posts: 1042 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
Darn it, you had me excited that this was a new trailer instead of the one released back in January! [Wink]

Here's the new Transformers myspace page...which has new Optimus Prime and Megatron posters.

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by porcelain girl:
I spontaneously went into a sililoquy the other night on a drive home with the roommates about how easily I can get emotional over Transformers.

"Well first off, they're robots. In disguise."

Count me in as ridiculously excited.

More then meets the eye too.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wonder Dog
Member # 5691

- posted      Profile for Wonder Dog           Edit/Delete Post 
"Freedom is the Right of All Sentient Beings"

Awesome!

Posts: 353 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puppy
Member # 6721

- posted      Profile for Puppy   Email Puppy         Edit/Delete Post 
Is a "sililoquy" a silly monologue?
Posts: 1539 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
why, yes. good for you for catching my incredibly subtle and clever play on words.

yes. *ahem*

dang.

Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
If you guys want to see pictures of what the various Transformers look like (from trailer images, prototypes, and released toys), there's a good website that has tons of them.
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I know this is going to come across as terribly prudish, but would you mind changing the title of this thread? The acronym "OMG" bothers me, and when it's in the title of a thread on the first page, the only way I can avoid it is by not coming to Hatrack at all.

Thank you.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stihl1
Member # 1562

- posted      Profile for stihl1   Email stihl1         Edit/Delete Post 
Jazz won't be the same without Scatman Carouthers voice.
Posts: 1042 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
The "To punish and enslave" statement on the side of Barricade is a nice touch...
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
Even though I'm GOING to see this movie, I'm still incredibly unhappy that the Autobots were basically sold to GM. Bumblebee should be a Bug. Not a freaking Camero.

edit: And that fact has basically had the opposite affect on me. I will forever boycott GM for this outrage! [Big Grin]

Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ginol_Enam
Member # 7070

- posted      Profile for Ginol_Enam           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
I know this is going to come across as terribly prudish, but would you mind changing the title of this thread? The acronym "OMG" bothers me, and when it's in the title of a thread on the first page, the only way I can avoid it is by not coming to Hatrack at all.

Thank you.

What's wrong with "oh my gosh?"

>_>

Posts: 450 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by stihl1:
Jazz won't be the same without Scatman Carouthers voice.

I fear what Starscream will sound like without the original voice. Starscream/Cobra Commander was so distinctive. Something about his voice just SCREAMED "incompetent villain."

I still wish the movie was a pure remake of the cartoon movie. Among the many great scenes in the movie, and the great music, I love the scene where Megatron shows up at Starscream's coronation.

Starscream - "Who dares interrupt my coronation?"
Galvatron - "Coronation Starscream? This is bad comedy!"
Starscream - "M-Megatron?"
Galvatron - "Here's a hint!" ::BAM!::

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

My favorite Starscream moment (he is my fav.), would have to be where Megatron is stepping on Starscream's head.

Megatron: Either you're lying, or you're stupid.
Starscream: I'm stupid, I'm stupid!

I don't even remember what he did, my brother just reenacts that part all the time.

Nighthawk
Member # 4176

quote:
Starscream/Cobra Commander was so distinctive.
That wasn't the same voice, was it?

I remember both voices and how their octaves now make me twitch in pain like nails across a blackboard, but I would never had made such a connection.

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ginol_Enam:
quote:

Thank you.

What's wrong with "oh my gosh?"

>_>

[Dont Know] I am not going to change it, it's just an acronym.
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I really wish you would. It's an acronym for something that bothers me.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

quote:
I really wish you would. It's an acronym for something that bothers me.

Why? I don't get it.

I used that acronym because I was feeling really giggly and fangirl-ish at the time. What's so wrong with that, Mr.?

>:[

Foust
Member # 3043

- posted      Profile for Foust   Email Foust         Edit/Delete Post 
No offense, but how do you function in daily life, mph? Are your days just a litany of traumas to your sensitive soul?
Posts: 1515 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
Just chiming in with MPH, here. I don't like the acronym because when I read it I hear what it (usually) stands for, and I cringe every time I hear someone say that.

And yes, I hear it all the time, and I cringe every day.

Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Since you asked, I'll try to explain.

The usage of the word "God" as an expletive bothers me, as does the usage of some "swear" words. I'm not interested in going into why it bothers me, or if I'm justified in letting it bother me, or if you're justified in saying it anyway. The fact is that it does bother me.

Such things bother me enough that I choose to limit my exposure to them. I choose to not watch TV shows which have too much of it.

When I see acronyms such as OMG or WTF, what goes through my head is not the letters, but the words those stand for in my head.

There is very little difference to me between reading the acronyms and reading the words, since the words run through my head whenever I see the acronyms.

I totally understand why you used that acronym, Athariel. You're excited. There's nothing wrong with that. After all, who wouldn't be?

I am not saying there's anything inherently wrong with any of this language. I'm just saying that it bothers me.

I am only asking you to remove it from the title of your thread. If it's inside your thread, I can easily avoid it. There are lots of threads on Hatrack which I avoid for many reasons. That's fine -- I don't expect the forum to conform to my sensibilities.

But while that acronym in the title of your thread, I am unable to avoid having that phrase run through my head without leaving BFFC altogether.

So I am politely asking you to edit the title of your thread. Not because you should be expected to, and not because you did anything wrong, but because I asked.

I don't know if there is a single other person on the forum who is bothered by such things. I just know that I am, which is why I asked.

I hope I have been able to communicate this in the spirit intended. I mean no condemnation, explicit or implicit, in what I've said. I don't think negatively of you at all for posting that acronym. I won't get upset at you if you refuse my request.

I will probably bow out of this conversation now, because frankly, talking about what offends me or doesn't offend me isn't a conversation I feel like pursuing. But you did ask, and it's a reasonable request, so I have tried my best let you know why I made my request.

If you edit your title, I'll appreciate it, and if you don't, I won't be back in here to bother you any more about it.

[Smile]

Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
No offense, but how do you function in daily life, mph? Are your days just a litany of traumas to your sensitive soul?
Here's an idea, Foust: don't be a jack@!@.

Edit: I apologize for that remark, Foust. I don't think it helped the thread. I remain convinced that your post was insensitive, rude, uncalled for, and rather intolerant, but I apologize for responding in kind.

[ March 29, 2007, 11:32 AM: Message edited by: Rakeesh ]

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

I say we just go back to talking about Transformers.

EDIT: And by the by, I understand why MPH was uncomfortable with the acronym. However, I disagree with him when he says that it's an expletive. I think if I added an F around there it would be, and that's the acronym that I can't stand myself.

Rakeesh
Member # 2001

quote:
And by the by, I understand why MPH was uncomfortable with the acronym. However, I disagree with him when he says that it's an expletive. I think if I added an F around there it would be, and that's the acronym that I can't stand myself.
He isn't asking you to agree that it's an explitive. He's just pointing out that, to him, it's an explitive and that it makes him uncomfortable, and politely requesting that you editthe thread title in response to that.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foust
Member # 3043

- posted      Profile for Foust   Email Foust         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Here's an idea, Foust: don't be a jack@!@.

Edit: I apologize for that remark, Foust. I don't think it helped the thread. I remain convinced that your post was insensitive, rude, uncalled for, and rather intolerant, but I apologize for responding in kind.

Eh. I'd say that mph's position on this thread is rooted in simple resentment. The kind of resentment that ends in fascism. He's being nice about it, but the root of what he's doing is far more insidious than my rudeness.
Posts: 1515 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

quote:
Eh. I'd say that mph's position on this thread is rooted in simple resentment. The kind of resentment that ends in fascism. He's being nice about it, but the root of what he's doing is far more insidious than my rudeness.
In fascism? Dude, that's just plain nuts. Porter didn't demand it be taken down, he expressed his reasons politely and asked politely that it be taken down. That's all. There's nothing insidious about that.

Support yourself. You're making a totally baseless, and frankly ridiculous, claim.

Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
I just despise all internet acronyms. I always have to look them up, and it's a waste of my time. Honestly, I like the English language--and I like typing exactly what I'm saying. I even add in the double dash for a pause sometimes--because I don't like commas. They're too ambiguous.

Anyway--didn't mean to chop down your excitement, Alt. I'll take my 10-year old nephew to see it for sure.

Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't find the acronym offensive, but I agree that thread titles should be held to a higher standard of sensitivity. (There was a thread not too long ago where this came up; I don't remember the exact situation. That person didn't change the title either.) When someone asks you politely, doesn't condemn you, and explains why they're bothered--especially when it's in the title of the thread--then I have to tell you that I personally do judge people who aren't considerate enough to abide such a request. You may not give a hoot, and that's fine. There may be other people, like me, who will decide that you are just plain inconsiderate, though. You may or may not care about that.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Four words:

'O My Cod, OSC.'

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

quote:
I don't find the acronym offensive, but I agree that thread titles should be held to a higher standard of sensitivity. (There was a thread not too long ago where this came up; I don't remember the exact situation. That person didn't change the title either.) When someone asks you politely, doesn't condemn you, and explains why they're bothered--especially when it's in the title of the thread--then I have to tell you that I personally do judge people who aren't considerate enough to abide such a request. You may not give a hoot, and that's fine. There may be other people, like me, who will decide that you are just plain inconsiderate, though. You may or may not care about that.
I completely agree. On the not finding the acronym offensive, thinking that titles should be held to a higher standard, and judging people who do not.

Furthermore, I find it very ironic that if you changed the acronym slightly, it would be something you couldn't stand and thus would not post in a thread title.

When it's an acronym someone else can't stand, though...well, let's just ignore a polite, well-phrased request and get back to talking about Transformers!

Pretty disappointing.

twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Scott R:
Four words:

'O My Cod, OSC.'

I think it was actually "Good Cod, OSC." [Wink]
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

I think you're right.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen that referenced many times but I think it was pre my time here. Was it OSCFan or Dobie or something else entirely?
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the Cod was even capitalized.

Added: And it was Lalo.

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I don't know if there is a single other person on the forum who is bothered by such things.

There is.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I think I even knew that. Hmm maybe it was after i joined, not sure. Lalo certainly was around, and planning on biking and around [Smile]
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
(There was a thread not too long ago where this came up; I don't remember the exact situation. That person didn't change the title either.)
Incidentally, I think that was a Transformers thread as well.

---

That trailer looks awesome! I couldn't give hoot about what is or isn't Transformers canon, I haven't seen the tv show since I was like six and the last time I saw the movie, well, I wasn't in a state of mind to remember things very well. So this movie is going to be double plus good and no amount of poo-pooing is gonna change that!

Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

No, it was more recently than the other transformers thread.
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by twinky:
I think the Cod was even capitalized.

Added: And it was Lalo.

Incorrect. Lalo posted the original thread.

The brilliant dobie (and I never think dobies are brilliant, but that one was) belonged to imogen. [Big Grin]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, an incredibly similar situation did happen with another Transformers thread.
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

[Smile] It appears just days before i started lurking.
BaoQingTian
Member # 8775

- posted      Profile for BaoQingTian   Email BaoQingTian         Edit/Delete Post 
Was the other thread in question titled something like: 'George Lucas Raped my Childhood?' In that thread, the OP refused to change it, and the thread degenerated into 2 pages of arguing about the title. The thread became about the title rather than the topic. Looks like we're well on our way here too...
Posts: 1412 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

I don't think that is the one being reffered to. This one was just in the last two weeks.
Jutsa Notha Name
Member # 4485

- posted      Profile for Jutsa Notha Name   Email Jutsa Notha Name         Edit/Delete Post 
Edited because the title changed.

Good for you! Now everyone feels better, I'm sure.

[ March 30, 2007, 03:11 PM: Message edited by: Jutsa Notha Name ]

Posts: 1170 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

quote:
I believe that Altįriėl of Dorthonion is simply attention-whoring at this point. Numerous people have made plenty of cases to avoid the trouble and get back to talking about the movie, but Altįriėl of Dorthonion insists on leaving the trouble in place and having the thread constantly bumped to the top of the queue.
??

Altariel has bumped this thread once. That hardly qualifies as "having the thread constantly bumped."

I'm bumping it now of my own free will. Free will is a neat thing. For example, I can use it to stay out of threads that get on my nerves.

So can you.

Nighthawk
Member # 4176

God, is nothing safe here? The freakin' TRANSFORMERS thread has all this going on?!?

I'm afraid to post about my dog; it might turn in to a holy war.

Scott R
Member # 567

Your dog is an unholy infidel, and the God of Heaven and Earth demands its destruction!

Praise be to Mittens!

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.