FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Transformers!!!! *squee*!! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The Transformers!!!! *squee*!!
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't be sure, but I don't recall her bumping the thread herself.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
Are you automatically 'bumping a thread' when you hit the "Add Reply" button, even if it's a legitimate response and not solely to get the thread to the top of the page?

Edit: Also, Nighthawk, your dog is occupying space that the ancestors of my religion settled. To the Crusademobile!

Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
The thread I was referring to had "Pissed Off" in the title, and the OP got offended and refused to change that title also.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Mittens!

I can smell your brains.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
quote:
Originally posted by twinky:
I think the Cod was even capitalized.

Added: And it was Lalo.

Incorrect. Lalo posted the original thread.

The brilliant dobie (and I never think dobies are brilliant, but that one was) belonged to imogen. [Big Grin]

Oh, I see. I didn't know about the dobie, so I just assumed Scott was euphamistically describing the original thread.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought Lalo changed it?
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Scott? Euphemisms? Never!
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Scott R:
I thought Lalo changed it?

No, he refused to change it. So kacard did, after about a week.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jutsa Notha Name:
I think anyone who really wants to continue talking about the movie and the trailer should create another thread, post the link and the interesting information, and let this thread fall off the queue.

If you don't want to talk about the movie, then why are you here in the first place? If you do, then be my guest.

quote:
Numerous people have made plenty of cases to avoid the trouble and get back to talking about the movie, but Altįriėl of Dorthonion insists on leaving the trouble in place and having the thread constantly bumped to the top of the queue.
Well, see MPH said that he was ok with me leaving the thread title as it was even though he was offended by it. Why? Because after all, it's my right to do so. He may consider OMG offensive but a Muslim would consider my daily outfit offensive. Would I change my ways because of that? Of course not. I respected MPH's opinion but I am sure he respected mine as well. If it doesn't hurt him and it does hurt me, then I don't see this "problem" you speak of. I was trying to get back to Transformers because I made that thread for that specific reason, not to talk about what offends me or you or any theological morals you have. If you or anyone wishes to discuss that, then go ahead and make your own thread. EDIT: Oh, and I wonder how someone can "avoid a trouble" without "leaving it in place". Avoidance is like walking around it, right?

quote:
If Altįriėl of Dorthonion persists in bumping the thread out of spite, the charge of attention-whoring is verified.
And I've bumped how many times? Two now? Yes. I'm such a dirty little whore.

quote:
This thread title and the ensuing discussion has gotten on my nerves now, too.
Yes, because I'm TOTALLY holding you at gun-point. You better be here, or ELSE!

Jutsa, honestly. What's your beef? I don't think I've ever messed with you, so why do you seem to have something against me?

Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Altáriël of Dorthonion:
Well, see MPH said that he was ok with me leaving the thread title as it was even though he was offended by it. Why? Because after all, it's my right to do so.

He was being polite.

And while of course you have the right not to change the title, it would be polite of YOU to do so, now that you know that it bothers people. And how would it hurt you to do so?

You are correct that no one needs to come in the thread if they don't want to. But there is no way to avoid the thread title and be on Hatrack.

katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If it doesn't hurt him and it does hurt me, then I don't see this "problem"
Alt, I think this isn't right. It is a problem for him, and for Tante, and for other people (like me). I wish you would change it as well. I guess if you still don't want to change it after knowing that, that's your right, but it isn't neutral to leave it up.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

Altįriėl of Dorthonion,

quote:
If you don't want to talk about the movie, then why are you here in the first place? If you do, then be my guest.

As I'm sure you know by now from your long participation on Hatrack, sometimes threads morph into discussions different from their original topic. The person starting the thread does not own the conversation in it.

quote:
Well, see MPH said that he was ok with me leaving the thread title as it was even though he was offended by it.
Ummm...no, he didn't. That's not at all what he said. He said many things--and there is one quotation in his post in particular that spells it out, but that one's a bit of a hammer, so I won't use it right now--but it can be summed up thusly:
quote:
If you edit your title, I'll appreciate it, and if you don't, I won't be back in here to bother you any more about it.
He didn't say he was fine with it.

quote:
Because after all, it's my right to do so.
Your right to do so was never in question, or challenged.

quote:
He may consider OMG offensive but a Muslim would consider my daily outfit offensive.
Not the same situation at all. In order to participate at Hatrack, one cannot avoid seeing the titles of threads on the first page. But let's examine your statement for a moment, anyway. You're not going to change your daily outfit because it offends a socially conservative Muslim, I imagine. Why? Because you don't care enough about offending that Muslim to refrain from doing so. That's fine, but let's not pretty that up with a word like "respect". It's not necessarily disrespect, but it's clearly not respect, either.

quote:
If it doesn't hurt him and it does hurt me, then I don't see this "problem" you speak of.
He has said that reading the acronym, which he must do since it's a thread title, does upset him and he would rather not be compelled to see the acronym-and thus think the words-everytime he visits Hatrack, and the thread title is on the first page.

That's a problem. You may not care, but it's a problem.

----------------------------------

Generally speaking, the polite thing to do in mixed company is to refrain from swearing if you know it offends someone in the company. Especially if the swearing is easily replaceable with another expression of surprise that's not, to that person, swearing. And doubly especially if the objection is expressed as politely as Porter's was.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Altįriėl, thank you very much. I appreciate it.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

Can I play the devils advocate for second? I can see where Alt is coming from (Edit: not that I know where Alt is coming from, but assuming that where I think Alt is coming from really is where Alt is coming from). In the ever challenging world of a person trying not to offend people, the stakes are rising. I completely understand that some people are offended by profanities and/or religious exclamations. So, in an effort to be polite, one who would normally curse can use replacement words or achronyms, such as "shoot" or "freaking" or "S.O.B." or "S.O.L."

But to then have someone who gets offended by the original cursing tell you that even your replacement words are offensive, it starts to feel like censorship. I know it is in the effort of respect, but at some point a person's gotta get fed up and say "well what the heck can I say?!" (assuming, of course, that I can say "heck") If I'm really excited about a movie, and I can't say "oh my g-d" and I can't say "OMG" and I can't say "oh my gosh", I'm gonna start feeling boxed in.

What do you do when the PC replacement words aren't PC anymore? Come up with new replacement words?

That being said, when someone asks you to do something that requires almost no effort and would make them happy but not hurt you, it's generally considered polite to do it, regardless.

Edit: Darn people resolving their quarrels before I get to put my two cents in. [Grumble]

[ March 30, 2007, 03:32 PM: Message edited by: vonk ]

Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Alt, you're darling. Not just this, although this is very sweet. I mean in general. I think you're a real lady.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

It isn't censorship (except in Lalo's case) because you actually have the right to refrain from changing it. Therefore, it's you keeping your rights but being less than totally considerate if you leave it, or it's you choosing not to exercise the right that you still have, but being considerate, if you do change it. It's not about what anyone must do. It's about what would be extra nice.

(I know the title has been changed; I'm just answering the preceding post.)

For myself, I respect Alt. more because she decided to change it even though she didn't have to, and because her response to Jutsa's over-the-top accusations were milder than he deserved.

Rakeesh
Member # 2001

Seconded.
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
(look out! this train is about to get back on track)

I just watched the newest trailer (the one that actually shows machines, you know, transforming).

I may have to actually see this. I can only imagine the look my wife will give me. [Wink]

Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

You're right, it isn't cenrsorship. But it does begin to feel like cenrsorship, especially if one's desire to be polite/respectful is something of a driving force.

Also, Yay Transformers!

Icarus
Member # 3162

But you're driven to be polite or respectful because you're a nice guy. Nobody really makes you be that way but you. [Smile]
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Icarus:
For myself, I respect Alt. more because she decided to change it even though she didn't have to, and because her response to Jutsa's over-the-top accusations were milder than he deserved.

Thirded.
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
I wanted to add my 2 cents to a resolved issue.
I don't think Alts's respect or character was never in question.

She did no wrong. I would giver her the benefit of the doubt no matter what she did. She changed it so she is sensitive. If she didn't change it, I would respect her moral convictions. Standing up to a crowd who disapproves of you is rough.

I don't think she was ever in question, so I have no comment on whether her choice was correct.

MPH was the person asking her to change. He was the one who was offended and asking someone else to change their behavior. It is him who I look at with any possibility of judgment.

However, he was simple, direct, honest, and kind. He answered her question with a well thought out and written response.

For someone who I disagree with on several religious issues, I thought we was full of tact. I know he would have handled her action or inaction just as he said he would.

Events unfolded and the only opinion change I had was to view MPH with a little more respect.

Oh, and Jutsa Notha Name really confused me with his/her comment.

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by twinky:
I think the Cod was even capitalized.

Added: And it was Lalo.

Incorrect. Lalo posted the original thread.

The brilliant dobie (and I never think dobies are brilliant, but that one was) belonged to imogen. [Big Grin]

[Smile]

Yes, yes it did.

Breyer, you were here, I'm sure of it.

Maybe you just missed my brilliance. [Wink]

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post 
Hah, MPH is a total baby.

Sorry, that was completely inappropriate for Hatrack... CUDDLEZ FOR EVERYONE!

::begins administering super-soft cuddlez::

Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Icarus:
because her response to Jutsa's over-the-top accusations were milder than he deserved.

Thirded.
Oh, I'm not as nice as you think. Try getting in an argument with me on Gaia and I may not try to be as nice when it comes to arguments. [Big Grin]

What, you'd think I would try to get myself banned over statements like those by some person who could be Megatron riding a My Little Pony for all I know/care?

Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.