FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Tolkien Walk Thread - Now Individual Journeys (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: The Tolkien Walk Thread - Now Individual Journeys
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Last week I clocked in 19.0 miles. 12.0 of that was since 5/9. And in reality, it's more, that's just the measurable mileage. I don't trust my pedometer anymore... one day it'll tell me I've walked 1400 steps from home to the train, the next only 800. Yeah, I'd love to find one that actually works.
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
Today I biked 12.71 miles. I'm pooped.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
I ran another 6 miles today.
Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

5 more miles today.
Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Hiked 7.4 miles with 7000 ft of total elevation change today and yesterday on a training/camping trip [Smile]
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, at this rate, we'll be there in no time! Onward to Moria! [Smile]
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendil18
Member # 3180

- posted      Profile for Earendil18   Email Earendil18         Edit/Delete Post 
How do you measure your miles when you're walking? I go by visual guides, but those are for finding my way around not measuring miles. [Smile] Do you count steps? I suppose a map of the local area would work...

I walked 2 miles roundtrip for a game of tennis yesterday. [Smile]

Posts: 1236 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

I do a lot of my running on a treadmill. Also, there are several routes around my work that I go jog on breaks, and I've measured them all with my car so that I know how far I'm going. Other than that, I don't trust pedometers and you'd have to go rather a long way on a straight stretch of road before Mapquest would help, so I don't know.
Speed
Member # 5162

7 more miles run today.
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Current cumulative total: 165 miles.

Where the Hatrack nation is:

Since our last update we have been really busy. First we were captured by the Barrow-wights, but fortunately Tom rescued us again.

We reached Bree on September the 29th, which was 135 miles from home. There we met Strider. "All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost...".

We left Bree around 9:30 am, on the East road. We turned off the road five miles later and went north into Chetwood. We stayed in Chetwood two days, camping the nights of the 30th and October 1st in the Chetwood. Today we headed out and have just left the Chetwood. The Midgewater Marshes are just ahead. It is October the 2nd.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
Ran 1.93 miles yesterday. I'll edit with my day's walking later, but it's going to be around 2.5 mi. So I guess a total of 4.43 mi.

Edit: I went for a walk at lunch and walked another 2.5 miles. So, a total of 6.93 miles.

[ May 20, 2007, 03:14 PM: Message edited by: Eaquae Legit ]

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Earendil18:
How do you measure your miles when you're walking? I go by visual guides, but those are for finding my way around not measuring miles. [Smile] Do you count steps? I suppose a map of the local area would work...

I use the ruler function in Google Earth to measure routes. If you live someplace with a decent satellite photo, you can use landmarks to pinpoint the precise locations.

I've gotten 15 more miles since the last number I posted.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Walked 2 miles yesterday.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

I ran 7 more miles today.
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
What a nifty idea, Belle! [Smile] Jazzercise and yoga probably don't count, but Nathan and I walked a two-mile there and back again walk yesterday to go sit by Puget Sound and have mom-son time.
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Jazzercise and yoga could count, actually. If I converted the exercise into WeightWatcher's exercise points, I could come up with the miles you would have walked.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

1 hour of yoga Wednesday.
1 hour jazzercise Thursday (after the walk, I might add! *grin*)

Thanks, ELizabeth!

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

Alright, I start crew (and therefor disappear from the web save for weekly appearances) tomorrow. Let the miles begin building up [Big Grin]
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

OK, I used to be on WeightWatchers Online and could put in specific activities, but I have to do it based on this criteria:

Shan, what would you say the intensity level of yoga is, low, moderate, or high?

I know jazzercise would be high. In fact, I am out of breath just thinking about it.

So, one hour of jazzercise(high intensity)= 6 points.

To walk an hour at a moderate clip would be about 4 miles. But if you jogged, or walked faster than 1 mile every fifteen minutes, it would be 5 miles.

So, I would put jazzercise at 4-5 miles an hour. You can decide. (I would say 5)

I think yoga would be 2 miles an hour.

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

OK, Belle, does this look OK for a conversion of non-walking/forward-moving miles?

For every 15 minutes of exercise which is not a mile-eating type:

Low Intensity: .5 miles

Moderate intensity: 1 mile

High intensity: 2 miles

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Also, I teach standing up. (there are many teachers who sit down for much of the day)

I am also a pacer, so can I count an hour of working as 1/4 of a mile?

Anyone a waiter or waitress? I bet you walk a mile or more an hour.

Can we count those miles, too?

Shan
Member # 4550

Hi Elizabeth! Hi-intensity jazzercise (which I accomodate to "low" intensity by not getting my upper body as involved as some, so as not to crink my back too bad.)

"Gentle" yoga -- restorative style.

When I walk, I book, though. Pound out the frustrations, as it were. *grin*

But for the sake of the game, let's say 4 miles for jazzercise and 1 for yoga? We don't want the road to end too quickly. *grin*

Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Add another 14.3 miles of measured walking from me this week!
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
4 more miles from me! [Wink]
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

I biked 9 miles today.
Belle
Member # 2314

I don't want to make a decision on how to convert - that's out of my area of expertise. [Smile] Do whatever you think is right for you and just post your converted mileage and I'll add it. Myself, in my person walk I only count what I do as exercise, not anything that I do in my daily activities. But this is a lighthearted game, not serious business, so do whatever you feel. Have fun with it, it's meant to be fun. If we try to bog it down with too many rules it will take the fun out.

So...here we go...

Hatrack's cumulative total is 220 miles.

Since our last update, we traveled into the Midgewater Marshes. We camped in the marshes the night of the 2nd. On the night of the 3rd, we camped again and could see flashes of light off in the distance, which we later learned was Gandalf at Weathertop. On October 4th we reached the edge of the Marshes. Today we set out on a clear, cool morning with frost on the ground. We can see crumbled ruins ahead.

It is October the 5th.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NotMe
Member # 10470

- posted      Profile for NotMe   Email NotMe         Edit/Delete Post 
I biked 16 miles yesterday afternoon.
Posts: 145 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

On a personal note, in my own personal journey, of only counting exercise miles, I've gone 13.5 miles down the road. I may reach that first night's campsite sooner than I thought!
Shan
Member # 4550

Okay, last night Nathan skateboarded the mile to and from the library and I walked. Tonight I jazzercised, so according to Elizabeth's calculations, that'd be another 4 miles.

Movin' right along . . . [Smile]

Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
Does the walking count if it's done at work? I wore a pedometer at work tonight and discovered that I walked 8 and a half miles. Im going to wear it again tomorrow to verify the distance.
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NotMe
Member # 10470

I biked another 5 miles yesterday, and 6 today. I'm probably not going to do so well in the next few days, because I need to pack for the weekend.

My total: 27 miles (by bike)

Posts: 145 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
What a cool idea!
I walk at least two or three miles a day as part of my job. [Smile]

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

12.4 miles biked today.
Shan
Member # 4550

Another 5 miles!
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm only going to track the miles I do on the cardio machines at the gym for the next three months, simply because. for me, they require the most discipline. I have next to no patience for the gym, but I want to get the most out of my three month membership.

Today: 4 miles.

Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

I cannot get the dadblamed pedometer to work! I set it, then tried walking, and...nothing.
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Also, Derrell, I think a step is a step towards Mordor, so I would say work steps count.

What pedometer do you use?

NotMe
Member # 10470

This weekend I kayaked about 12 miles with my Scout troop. We went to Cape Lookout and Shackleford banks.
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

I'm at 9 miles walked and 24.8 miles biked this week so far.

Work has me racking up the miles. [Big Grin]

Derrell
Member # 6062

It's one I borrowed from a fellow employee. I think it's a fairly cheap one since it has the Circle K logo on it. I've worn it for several days and am averaging 8 miles per shift.
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

Since our last update, we've had an adventurous time. We camped at Weathertop, where Frodo was injured by Nazgul. We placed him on Bill the pony, and headed back to the Great Road, crossing it to camp in the thickets on the south side. We set out again, covered 19 miles then camped again. We're now on our 4th day out from Weathertop and Frodo is not doing well. Things are looking grim. I hope we find some help soon. [Frown]

It is October 10th. Our cumulative miles are 307.

RunningBear
Member # 8477

- posted      Profile for RunningBear           Edit/Delete Post 
5 Miles
Posts: 883 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

I can add another 50 miles at least on to the total.

Monday: ~10 miles (walking)
Tuesday: ~10 miles (walking)
Wednesday: ~20 miles (walking -- that one was fun, started at 8:30 am left the woods at 10:13 pm using head lamps... so many blow downs)
Thursday: ~4 miles (walking -- it was a training day)
Friday: 9.8 miles (still with the walking)

I'm gonna try and get more exact numbers for the other days. They don't exactly tell us the distances around here and the maps don't have readable scales (makes trying to figure out where you are annoying as heck).

Belle
Member # 2314

In my personal journey, again only counting exercise miles, I'm up to 26.5 miles. [Smile]
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
This week's machine miles: 16. Yey-uh.
Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Do we count biking?

I biked 7 miles on Monday and 9 miles today.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

I certainly count biking. 'Nother trip to work, 12.71 miles biked.
gsim1337
Member # 10168

- posted      Profile for gsim1337   Email gsim1337         Edit/Delete Post 
Does swimming count? If so than add about 5 miles for me from this week.
Posts: 81 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RunningBear
Member # 8477

- posted      Profile for RunningBear           Edit/Delete Post 
7 miles.
Posts: 883 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

8 miles
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.