FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Golden Compass: Official Trailer (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The Golden Compass: Official Trailer
Damien.m
Member # 8462

- posted      Profile for Damien.m   Email Damien.m         Edit/Delete Post 
O . M . G
Posts: 243 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Luet13
Member # 9274

- posted      Profile for Luet13   Email Luet13         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay!!!
Posts: 511 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
M-must resist...urge...to...utter...fanboy...squeal...
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
*very* exciting.
Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SC Carver
Member # 8173

- posted      Profile for SC Carver   Email SC Carver         Edit/Delete Post 
Never heard of it. Pretty cool. Looks like something I will have to read before seeing the movie. Is it a series.
Posts: 555 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Yes. If you are in North America, look it up under the same title. Elsewhere in the world, it's published as Northern Lights. There are two sequels, though the tone and content of the books shifts quite a bit as one reads further in.
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked the Subtle Knife even better, myself.

The third....well, it was OK.

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anti_maven
Member # 9789

- posted      Profile for anti_maven   Email anti_maven         Edit/Delete Post 
Mmm, I read these a long time ago - time to revisit methinks. The trailer looks good, and if the film has Sam Elliot reprising his role from The Big Lebowski, count me in [Wink]
Posts: 892 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendil18
Member # 3180

- posted      Profile for Earendil18   Email Earendil18         Edit/Delete Post 
Damien beat Puffy T. [Wink]
Posts: 1236 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snail
Member # 9958

- posted      Profile for Snail   Email Snail         Edit/Delete Post 
That was amazing. I can't remember when I've last been this psyched up by an upcoming movie. I can even forgive that they used the ridiculous American title. (Calling alethiometer a mere compass... hrmph!)

And I also liked Subtle Knife the best of the books.

Posts: 247 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

quote:
Originally posted by Snail:
That was amazing. I can't remember when I've last been this psyched up by an upcoming movie. I can even forgive that they used the ridiculous American title. (Calling alethiometer a mere compass... hrmph!)

Blame Phillip Pullman. The Golden Compasses was still the working title of his trilogy when he sold it to a North American publisher, and it was only afterwards that he changed it to His Dark Materials. By that point, the American publisher was already devoted to the old title. [Wink]

I couldn't get into TSK that much...for obvious reasons, if you know me. And TAS I found dry and boring.

Snail
Member # 9958

- posted      Profile for Snail   Email Snail         Edit/Delete Post 
Silly Mr. Pullman. I could have told him that was a terrible title, but would he listen to me? Oh no...

I thought TAS still had its good points, but overall Pullman didn't find a good balance between his serious stuff and the "message" and his adventure stuff.

Still, the movies have both Nicole Kidman and Eva Green in them. They could make it a musical and add Paris Hilton as a comic relief and replace God with midi-chlorians and it'd still be perfect.

Posts: 247 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
What's up with child actors named Dakota? I guess seeing a movie with a young girl played by a different Dakota will be a nice change of pace, though.
Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Looks pretty cool, nice use of "Mars" in the beginning there, and visually looks great. I wanted to see this after just reading the description, but after seeing the trailer I REALLY want to see it.

I worry though, is this a movie that I'm not going to understand as well having not read the book?

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
Looks pretty cool, nice use of "Mars" in the beginning there, and visually looks great. I wanted to see this after just reading the description, but after seeing the trailer I REALLY want to see it.

I worry though, is this a movie that I'm not going to understand as well having not read the book?

All depends on the script writers. You shouldn't have to read it to understand the movie.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tarrsk
Member # 332

- posted      Profile for Tarrsk           Edit/Delete Post 
Looks fantastic (Iorek especially), but am I the only one who found it a little distasteful that New Line is so blatantly taking credit for LoTR, and using it to promote The Golden Compass, all while embroiled in a legal dispute with Peter Jackson? It just feels kinda... icky.

That said, much <3 for all of the adult actors in the trailer. We didn't get enough Lyra "actor" moments for me to really evaluate how Dakota Whatsherface will do in the role, but I did love that impishly smug side glance she gives after Iorek's appearance. That moment was perfectly Lyra.

Posts: 1321 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Permitheus
Member # 9957

- posted      Profile for Permitheus           Edit/Delete Post 
This looks like a fantastic movie, can anyone give me a couple of good 'book reviews'? from what i just read it doesn't sound like they were that great, but with all reviews, its a matter of opinion.
Posts: 8 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tarrsk
Member # 332

I loved the books (even "Amber Spyglass," which most people don't care for). Pullman's universe is one of the few in modern fantasy that isn't a poorly-disguised Tolkien ripoff- on the contrary, it's an incredibly rich setting full of brilliantly realized original ideas. His characters have a depth and moral ambiguity that I find very appealing, and he pulls no punches with the plot.

The one major problem that many people have with Pullman is his treatment of organized religion. Unlike Lewis and Tolkien before him, Pullman is an atheist, and believes that organized religion has been a profoundly negative influence on human society. The morality of "His Dark Materials" reflects this belief, though it never becomes allegory like "Narnia," and the real drama of the story is always character-based. Pullman's politics informs his writing, but IMO he's not out to lecture the reader about right and wrong. Admittedly, as an agnostic who does think that organized religion can (and does) often have a negative effect on the world around it, I'm not exactly likely to be offended by Pullman's worldview. Others differ.

Posts: 1321 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tarrsk
Member # 332

Yeah, I should have pointed out that that statement applies mostly to the first two books, although I don't think "Amber Spyglass" is quite as anvilicious as, say, "Narnia." [Wink] But I did think that, plotwise, "Amber Spyglass" was a good conclusion to the trilogy. The book needed some serious editing, and was the weakest entry in the trilogy overall, but I enjoyed all of the Lyra- and Will-centric aspects of the story.
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
There's a fun little link on the Golden Compass official movie site that allows you to find out who your daemon is -- pretty neat, especially since it looks like they have upwards of about 107,000 animal choices programmed in there. I got a raccoon named Zotius.

Click on the "Daemons" button

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

I was a whippet, or a raccoon.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Luet13
Member # 9274

- posted      Profile for Luet13   Email Luet13         Edit/Delete Post 
I was a chimpanzee named Lutheus. Cool.
Posts: 511 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
I was a tiger (boo yah!) named Diodium. Pretty cool.
Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I'm a whippet named Androme.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

the last two books were very preachy, but the third had more than the first two combined.
airmanfour
Member # 6111

- posted      Profile for airmanfour           Edit/Delete Post 
I hope they keep going. The visuals for The Subtle Knife would be fan-freakin'-tastic.
Posts: 1156 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Bryanna the chimpanzee.

'Cause I'm

quote:
Modest, assertive, humble, spontaneous, and solitary

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
I am an Ocelot named Athenestia. I am one of 16647 wildcat daemons of the total daemon population of 108398.

Look at me! Look at me!! I am modest and solitary. How cool is that everyone?! Hello?
[Taunt]

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

quote:
Originally posted by Tarrsk:
I don't think "Amber Spyglass" is quite as anvilicious as, say, "Narnia." [Wink]

The thing is, I personally know many people who read all seven of the Chronicles without even once discerning the "Deeper Magic" behind the story until someone else told them. And they aren't alone. Hop by the "NarniaWeb" forums sometime.

Conversely, it's impossible to read the second and third volumes of His Dark Materials without realizing the author explicitly thinks that Christianity is misguided at best, innately evil at worst.

Tarrsk
Member # 332

*shrug* I suspect that may have something to do with when you read the books- on average, the first-time readership for HDM seems to skew older than for Narnia. Certainly, the few people I've met who read "The Golden Compass" for the first time prior to middle school age didn't pick up on the anti-religious themes any more than I picked up on the Christian allegory when I read Narnia for the first time as a 7 year old.

I also suspect that HDM has been so heavily tarred for Pullman's politics that older readers today would almost certainly have heard about the controversy even prior to picking up "The Golden Compass"- similar to how "Harry Potter" has been decried for its "occultism."

And I disagree that Pullman considers Christianity as a whole "innately evil" in any way. I'll grant you "misguided," but that's hardly vilification. He does have a strong dislike for organized religion, in any form, which he does believe to be the source of great evil in the world.

Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Religion has been corrupted, especially Christianity, but a lot of things that can be good have been, such as politics, the family, sex, anything you can think of.
I liked the message of The Amber Spyglass myself...
Also the first time i was a crow, now I seem to be a lion named Agapius

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
My Daemon is a tiger named Aditi. w00t.
Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
My daemon is a whippet named Inachus.
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
I was a gibbon. /shrugs.

I just started the Golden Compass a few weeks ago, and I am having a hard time getting pulled into the story, mainly because I have a hard time identifying with Lyra. I'm currently trying to put my finger on what it is exactly...not sure, but I'm not captivated thus far.

Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I love the first book. When it ended I was so alarmed.
But Lyra is not much like me... She's very... hmmm...
she's cool, but we have little in common in terms of truthfulness...

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendil18
Member # 3180

- posted      Profile for Earendil18   Email Earendil18         Edit/Delete Post 
Hermestra is my daemon. She is a beautiful ocelot. [Wink]

I always thought "daemon" was pronounced more like Latin, "dei-mon" not "dee-mon".

I sure hope that isn't how the whole movie is going to be.

"Quit mispronouncing!!! ARGH!" [Razz]

Posts: 1236 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
And all this time I thought it was "Leer-ah"
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Damien.m
Member # 8462

- posted      Profile for Damien.m   Email Damien.m         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah I always pronounced it Al-thee-ometer. But its actually Aleehte-e-ometer. That sucks.

*Edited for spelling*

Posts: 243 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm also in the "Leer-ah" and "Day-mon" crowd.
Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
I got through the first two books without seeing much religious hatred.

The third book, though...hard to interpret that as anything but a screed against religion, and organized Christian religions specifically.

Oddly, I wasn't offended. The God figure in HDM isn't the God I recognize; the underlying philosophies that run Pullman's world don't mesh with mine. I had the feeling I should have been upset, but I wasn't.

I *do* wish we could have seen some non-monstrous believers in HDM, but other than that, I really enjoyed the series. Spyglass went on a little too long, and I was uncomfortable with Lyra and Will's relationship... but all in all, I think it's an excellent series.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with everyone on the "Leer-ah," but it's always been "dye-moan." I think it's a function of my Greek - which actually had me figuring out just what that alethiometer did rather early on. [Smile]
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

I too mispronounced Lyra and Daemon but this is probably because I am American and not English and not well versed in Greek.
Tarrsk
Member # 332

It was always "Lie-rah" for me (as in "lyre"), but I did mispronounce "daemon." And I originally read "alethiometer" as "ah-LEE-theo-MEE-ter," but realized about halfway through the first book that "ah-LEE-THEO-me-ter" sounded better.
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
"alethiometer" is a perfect name, though I don't know if I dig the spelling. Alethea is Greek for truth, especially a truth that's disclosed.

Alethiometer is more etymologically sound than "proactive," a word I'll never use as I bone deep suspicion about it, and I'm suspicious about people who use it. Following the Latin, I can't understand why the word isn't "Preactive." I blame that class of people who made up White Zinfandel.

[ May 23, 2007, 11:23 PM: Message edited by: Irami Osei-Frimpong ]

Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tara
Member # 10030

- posted      Profile for Tara   Email Tara         Edit/Delete Post 
**bump**

The time has almost come!!! We're only a couple weeks away.

The board for this movie at imdb is ridiculous... Dozens of people screaming about how it's anti-religious and dozens of other people screaming back at them to shut up...Kind of entertaining actually.

Anyway, I'm excited!!

Posts: 930 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

All boards at the IMDB are pretty much "bottom of the internet barrel", from my experience.
Tara
Member # 10030

- posted      Profile for Tara   Email Tara         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, you're used to Hatrack. [Smile]
Posts: 930 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Okay, when I went to see Enchanted the other day, they had the old voice for Iorek back in the trailer. That seemed a glaring error considering how new the movie was, so it got my hoping they'd changed the voice back...

Any hope Puffy?

brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
I know nothing about the book or movie. It does look good. My wife got an e-mail from her aunt saying the book is basically anti-God. The e-mail said the movie was not so much so, but that it may get the kids interested in the book and therefore could be exposed to that thought. My family knows better than to flood my in-box with that stuff, but my wife doesn't mind getting them. Then again, she doesn't get 50+ e-mails a day for work.

Is there any truth to that? Just curious.

Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, brojack, if you feel like diving into this thread, you'll probably get some information about it. There's an awful lot in the thread, though, and it tends to wander a bit...
Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.