FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » How do you pronounce the letter 'Z'? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: How do you pronounce the letter 'Z'?
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]

I figured it wasn't. But all I know is CB lingo. Kind of like pirate talk.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
*laugh*

Hams do say "over" and "over and out." I don't believe I've ever heard one use "good buddy" on the air, though. And we say "break" rather than "breaker, breaker" -- when you're interrupting a conversation it needs to be short.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, is that what "breaker, breaker" means? Huh.

What do you generally do as a ham radio operator? Sit there and try to get in touch with people? Listen in on conversations? Just keep your equipment in shape in case of emergency?

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

I got my license because of the 1992 earthquake, which knocked out power and phone lines in much of the San Fernando Valley. Hams were asked to volunteer at locations throughout the area. (There was one main dispatch location, IIRC.) My then-spouse, who was already a ham, was assigned to a small hospital. They had no power, and NO PHONES. They needed to coordinate getting patients elsewhere, getting supplies, etc. Other hams were assigned to other hospitals, to police and fire stations and I don't know where all else.

Providing volunteer emergency services is a big part of why most hams I know have licenses. (I used to be a member of a local group affiliated with the Beverly Hills PD, for instance.) It's also a fun hobby, and a way to talk to people around the world. Before cell phones were so cheap, it was also a great way to talk to someone who was in the car or wherever. (Not private, but that just meant sometimes you got to talk to other people on the drive home, instead of just your spouse. [Wink] )

And it's fun for kids. My thirteen-year-old got her license about a year ago.

More info.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Iain
Member # 9899

- posted      Profile for Iain   Email Iain         Edit/Delete Post 
Z? What is this Z? I only have a 25-letter alphabet (or an 18-letter alphabet depending on the language).
Posts: 44 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
I generally say "zed" unless singing my ABCs. Can't... resist... rhyme...
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I got my license in high school, for two reasons. First, my dad was big into it; second, they had scholarships. [Wink] I suppose I'll have to renew it sometime soon.

I've used it once - to talk with my father.

Kilo Bravo Nine Whiskey Zulu Yankee, signing off.

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Carrie:
I suppose I'll have to renew it sometime soon.

Not until 2010, looks like. Licenses are good for 10 years, and then there's a year or two in which you can renew without penalty before you have to start from scratch.
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I pronounce the letter "Z" as Kumquat.

But then, I'm strange that way.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Qaz
Member # 10298

- posted      Profile for Qaz           Edit/Delete Post 
I pronounce it "Z." Hope this helps! [Razz]
Posts: 544 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.