FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I just recieved Deathly Hallows (edit: false alarm) (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: I just recieved Deathly Hallows (edit: false alarm)
Christine
Member # 8594

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
quote:
I don't know. To me, reading the book 3 days before it comes out isn't worth either participating in illegal activies or especially disrespecting the author like this.
I've never heard Rowling comment on reading leaked copies of her book, by people who have preordered or are still going to buy the book come release date. I hesitate to ask it, but do you have some sort of link where Rowling's opinions on the matter are laid out?
Her specific comments are not about people who do or do not intend to buy the book. It's more to do with spoilers. She emphatically doesn't want people to obtain and ruin the book for other people. This is why I asked (above) that people please, please, please not spoil this for us (whether it's real or not). Rowling is emphatically anti-spoiler, and this is true after the release as well.
Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Am I the only one bothered by the passing around of the leaked copy?
No, you're not. It's funny the things people wind up agreeing on.

So why am I reading this thread? I guess the fact that it had grown to three pages sparked my curiosity. If I had been spoiled, it would have been my own dang fault. Have you posted at all on the theory thread, Squicky? *goes to check*

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
I have mixed feelings on the matter. I agree with the people who justify it by saying they are stil buying (or have bought) a copy of the book. Also, the only reason the release date is so specific and enforced is because of the popularity of the Harry Potter books. I once went into a bookstore about three days before an OSC book was supposed to be released (I think it was Shadow Puppets) and they already had it on the shelves. I wasn't expecting it, but since it was there I bought it and read it that day. So, it would seem that I'm on the side of those who are reading it...but I can't bring myself to read it. I just can't! It's a strange predicament.
Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Since Harry Potter though they have been less likely to do that. I saw the third of the Divine Secrets of the Ya Ya Sisterhood books out at Sams Club a week before the release but they wouldn't let me buy it once I got to the cash register.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Depends on the book. "Will the Vampire People Please Leave the Lobby?" by Allyson Beatrice (think David Sedaris writing about being a Buffy fan) is not supposed to be released until August 1, but a special arrangement with Barnes and Noble got it on the shelves and in their online store two weeks early.
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

Noooo, don't spoil Vampire people for me!!!! Do not want!11!

[Wink]

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MrSquicky:

I mean, it's not just illegal, it's against the very emphastic wishes of the author. And, it's not like she's holding up the release to rake in more cash or pulling a Wheel of Time thing. She's been, as far as I can tell, very good to fans and also delivered an extremely good (so far) 7 volume series.

I don't know. To me, reading the book 3 days before it comes out isn't worth either participating in illegal activies or especially disrespecting the author like this.

I agree with you.

In any case, given a choice between finishing re-reading HP5 (only a few pages left, but my eyes wouldn't stay open last night after about 2 am) and HP6 and straining my eyes to read blurry duplicates of what may or may not be the book I'll have in my hand in a few days, it's not even a contest.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

I'm probably going to get flamed for saying this, but I don't care -- I'm really annoyed to see a "Spoilers" thread up over 3 days before the release.
Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

Now oddly, while I do object to downloading the book, do I object to reading the spoilers thread? I mean, since the book may be a fraud, the spoilers thread may just be gossip. Ooooh. Must fight Satan.... I mean, I guess the real question for me is whether I'll flip to the end of the book. I have to weigh that against the chances someone's going to spoil it for me before I have the opportunity to finish.
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
quote:
Originally posted by MrSquicky:

I mean, it's not just illegal, it's against the very emphastic wishes of the author. And, it's not like she's holding up the release to rake in more cash or pulling a Wheel of Time thing. She's been, as far as I can tell, very good to fans and also delivered an extremely good (so far) 7 volume series.

I agree with you.

In any case, given a choice between finishing re-reading HP5 (only a few pages left, but my eyes wouldn't stay open last night after about 2 am) and HP6 and straining my eyes to read blurry duplicates of what may or may not be the book I'll have in my hand in a few days, it's not even a contest.

thread hijack: I'm desperately trying to finish them all before Friday. I've read 1, almost done with 2, and I just finished listening to 6 this morning. My friend has 3-5 on CD so I'm borrowing 5 next. I know it's out of order, but if I can listen to the longer books and read the shorter ones, I might be able to get through most of them. Maybe...
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
this book is definitely legit.

but it's incredibly frustrating trying to read some of these pages. especially when the text is illegible at a really important part!

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Christine:
I'm probably going to get flamed for saying this, but I don't care -- I'm really annoyed to see a "Spoilers" thread up over 3 days before the release.

Why? In all honesty, I don't understand. It's not something beyond getting the book early; it's part and parcel. Should those of us who've gotten to read it early not be able to talk about it?

Some people read faster than others. Some people who get the book on Saturday will be finished with it by the time I would have been able to start reading it. Is that fair? They can discuss it and I can't?

And I can't get the book on Saturday. If it happens to show up on Saturday in the mail (I got the free shipping from Amazon, so it may not, but it's possible that it will anyway), I can't even open it until about 9pm. And meanwhile, everyone else is already reading it.

I haven't stolen the book; I paid for it, and have the opportunity to read it early. I can't fathom what moral issue there could be here.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

It does not annoy me that people are discussing the book before I've finished it. I am absolutely certain that will be the case as I'm sue it will take me until Tuesday or Wednesday to read it at a non-hurried pace. I'm not desperate to be the first one to read it.

What annoys me is flaunting the fact that you've read it before it was released (assuming that the copy is legit -- which seems likely). I think it's a bad idea to read a stolen copy on principle.

Damien.m
Member # 8462

- posted      Profile for Damien.m   Email Damien.m         Edit/Delete Post 
To be honest I really wanted to read the leaked copy. I even downloaded it, made myself a cup of tea and sat down in bed with my laptop. But then I read the dedication page. Where Jo thanks all us LOYAL fans for sticking with Harry right to the very end. And after that I just couldnt do it. I felt too guilty. So I deleted everything. I feel really proud and I am thrilled with myself but at the same time Im kicking myself. It will all be worth it come Saturday when Ill feel like a true fan and feel that Ive stuck by Jo and her strict non spoiler policy.
Posts: 243 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Zeugma:
I can't believe you guys are happily discussing a pirated book here, of all places.

Well, I tried discussing it on the RIAA forums...
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shawshank
Member # 8453

- posted      Profile for Shawshank   Email Shawshank         Edit/Delete Post 
Damien.n

I'm not spoiling it for others. I am buying my own copy and will read it on Saturday. But I don't spoil books for others (I spoil them on myself- I always peek ahead right to where somebody dies- I've done that the past two books)

Posts: 980 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Damien.m
Member # 8462

Oh sorry I should have made myself clearer. I wasnt saying anyone here would spoil it. I was just saying that Id rather go along with Jo's wishes and get it when everyone else gets it.
Posts: 243 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
From what I can gather from the news, three different versions of this "every page scanned" Deathly Hallows file are circulating the net, each contradicting each other on major points.

The legal action being taken by Scholastic should not be taken as verification of the files being true, so much as they are a fight to protect copyright.

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The legal action being taken by Scholastic should not be taken as verification of the files being true, so much as they are a fight to protect copyright.
If the files are false, then how can Scholastic claim copyright?
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

The person or persons involved do not own the legal rights to the book title, characters, and related content.

Unlike fan-fic, which is (usually) clearly labeled as such, these files are claiming to be the book Scholastic own the rights to, being released before the street date.

Legally, this could be viewed as challenging their copyright.

Even under "fair use", claiming you are reproducing material they own without their permission, for purposes that have nothing to do with review or satire...well, that's something they crack down on.

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Good point.
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

To give a good example, Marvel Comics cannot ever release a comic starring "Batman". They can (and have) made parodies of Batman, they can have characters in their comics comment on the recent Batman movie...but they can never publish a Batman comic without permission from DC Comics.

If they did, DC would still have the right to get AOL/Time-Warner's lawyers down on them, even if they said "Whoa! It was just a fake! Just a joke! AIIEEE!" [Wink]

Amilia
Member # 8912

- posted      Profile for Amilia   Email Amilia         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If it makes you feel any better, there are no actual spoilers being discussed as of yet in either of the spoiler threads. And the "Official" spoiler thread was only started by sarcasticmuppet so as to get a jump on Saturday. Apparently she was the one who started the threads on books 5 & 6 and wanted to keep with tradition.
Posts: 364 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tara
Member # 10030

- posted      Profile for Tara   Email Tara         Edit/Delete Post 
What I don't understand is why you would sit and squint at your computer screen all the way through a book you've (probably) been looking forward to for ages, when you could hold the real, physical, and legal copy in your hands in three days.

The way I see it, you're spoiling it for yourself. Even if I had a pirated copy, I wouldn't read it. And make sure you pay JK Rowling.

Posts: 930 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
I haven't stolen the book
I disagree. You paid for a copy that has not yet arrived. The one you have is stolen.

quote:
What annoys me is flaunting the fact that you've read it before it was released. I think it's a bad idea to read a stolen copy on principle.
Agreed.

quote:
I can't believe you guys are happily discussing a pirated book here, of all places.
Agreed.

quote:
Id rather go along with Jo's wishes and get it when everyone else gets it.
Agreed.

quote:
From what I can gather from the news, three different versions of this "every page scanned" Deathly Hallows file are circulating the net, each contradicting each other on major points.
I will be greatly amused -- but slightly surprised -- if they all turn out to be fakes.

quote:
What I don't understand is why you would sit and squint at your computer screen all the way through a book you've (probably) been looking forward to for ages, when you could hold the real, physical, and legal copy in your hands in three days.
SO agreed.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
I gave up after a few pages. It was just too painful on the eyes.

It would be rather amusing if they were all fakes - written and ciculated by Rowling herself!

Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

More than one news site has speculated that the "scanned page" files are deliberate red herrings. Hmmm...
TL
Member # 8124

- posted      Profile for TL   Email TL         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh no! Look -- look what they're doing! They're reading! A BOOK. How could they? How could they do that? How dare they read a book four days before its official release date. Why would they do that?! Come on! Reading is morally wrong, if not done in the properly approved time and manner! Everyone KNOWS this. Outrageous! Quickly -- think of things to call them! Think of things to accuse them of! They're reading! They're FLAUNTING the fact that they're reading! THIS WILL NOT STAND.
Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

- posted      Profile for TL   Email TL         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm finished with the book. It was terrific. Highly recommended. Very satisfying. No chance it's not real. None.
Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

There was a news article I can only imagine was about this on a neighboring suite's doorstep this morning. I have to say if I could find that article I would probably read it.

I do feel it's wrong to be reading the pirated copy, but I don't feel it's wrong enough to condemn a lot of the people who are doing it as strongly as I might.

I'd feel bad if my daughter got into reading such a copy and it turned out to be fake. If she read it not knowing it was fake, it would distort her experience of the characters and story. It's one thing to read the bootleg knowing it might not be accurate. It's another if you don't have the maturity to distinguish between that possibility and the security of waiting for the real thing.

I wonder at the motive of the people who are distributing these things, especially the discrepancied ones that have to be fake. I guess it might be like how the Simpsons studio animated 3 endings to the over-hyped "who shot Mr. Burns" conclusion. The sheer cheesiness of photographing the book held open puzzles me as well, like it wouldn't be much easier to saw the binding off and run it through a feeder. "Awe"thenticity indeed.

Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd say don't bother trying to read these things.
Not because they may be fake or for moral reasons, but do you really want the Harry Potter worm on your computer turning various things into Harry potter characters?
It makes me laugh inwardly, but still.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Damien.m
Member # 8462

Heres two tidbits from the publishers and Rowling regarding the leak...

From Scholastic:
quote:
PRESS RELEASE:
Scholastic has recently learned that some individuals have received copies of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows through the mail , beginning on Tuesday, July 17th, as a result of a breach of the on-sale agreement by the distributor, Levy Home Entertainment, and shipments made by DeepDiscount.com, a customer of that distributor. We are taking immediate legal action against DeepDiscount.com and Levy Home Entertainment. The number of copies shipped is around one one-hundredth of one percent of the total U.S. copies to go on sale at 12:01 am on July 21st.

We are also making a direct appeal to the Harry Potter fans who bought their books from DeepDiscount.com and may receive copies early requesting that they keep the packages hidden until midnight on July 21st.

Scholastic is especially grateful to the other retailers and distributors for their careful attention to keeping the books secure until the release time and for planning thousands of spectacular midnight parties where fans will celebrate together. And we ask everyone, especially the media, to preserve the fun and excitement for fans everywhere.

The fans themselves have made it abundantly clear that they are looking forward to going to the midnight parties, receiving their very own copy of the book and finally getting to read the book they have so anxiously awaited.

And from Jo:
quote:
We are almost there! As launch night looms, let's all, please, ignore the misinformation popping up on the web and in the press on the plot of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. I'd like to ask everyone who calls themselves a Potter fan to help preserve the secrecy of the plot for all those who are looking forward to reading the book at the same time on publication day. In a very short time you will know EVERYTHING!

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

I want everybody east of the West Coast to refrain from reading their books until it's midnight here.
pooka
Member # 5003

I will if you'll get up at 6 a.m. my time and drive me to work.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Done.
pooka
Member # 5003

Oh, yeah, and you have to dump the polar bear for me too.
Christine
Member # 8594

quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
I want everybody east of the West Coast to refrain from reading their books until it's midnight here.

No problem. I'm picking it up at midnight but then getting a good night's sleep. I'll probably start around 8 a.m., which should be after everyone's had a chance to get the book. [Smile]
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

*gives Christine a get-out-of-jail-free card*
pooka
Member # 5003

*checks said card for telltale signs of forgery*
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:

I'll do you one better. I won't begin reading mine until at least 9 pm Saturday, and quite likely later.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Are you east of the West Coast area, Rivka?

Then I wasn't talking to you. [Razz]

[ July 18, 2007, 09:53 PM: Message edited by: mr_porteiro_head ]

rivka
Member # 4859

When has not being the addressee ever stopped me from responding?
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
Can someone send me a message with links to the real spoiled ending? I don't want to know but my boyfriend who is too busy to read the book for awhile wants to know now.

So yeah, if you got links to the ending, send them my way. Nothing else. Thanks.

(We can send PMs on this forum, right? I've never tried. Or does someone need my email address?)

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheBlueShadow
Member # 9718

- posted      Profile for TheBlueShadow           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm another on the east coast that won't be reading it for a while.

Not only do I have to drive home, but then I have to wait on the mail.

Posts: 96 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Shanna:
(We can send PMs on this forum, right? I've never tried. Or does someone need my email address?)

Not exactly. You can be sent an email through the board. Sometimes it works, sometimes not so much.

Anyway, you have an email address listed in your profile.

Strider
Member # 1807

I'm going to be on a camping/white water rafting trip all weekend! I booked it before I knew the importance of this weekend. I've started the leaked copy, i'll probably be anywhere from 1/3 to 2/5ths done before I leave, which won't put me *too* far behind everyone else when I get back on sunday. frustration! I'm consciously trying not to read too much because I'd rather have the book in my hands.
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

The baltimore sun article is linked from wikipedia. I don't know what it reveals, but I did just dream that Crookshanks was Harry's mother. If Snape brought her back to Dumbledore that night, that would cinch his case pretty tight. It's out there, it would be so weird if I were right and no one would believe me because I'm from Baltimore. I was just dreaming about hints on the wiki of deathly hallows where Rowling says someone's not really dead, and we learn something important about Lily, and Harry has his mother's eyes, and something about how Dumbledore was afraid to look in them The Snape connection didn't occur to me until I started posting about it. Maaaaan... I got to get back to bed so I can go to sleep, but I am so wired.
Strider
Member # 1807

i'm pretty sure that Lily's dead. Otherwise why would she have come out of Voldemort's wand in the graveyard scene?

but those were some interesting thoughts. I'm really curious as to what will come of Harry having his mother's eyes. it got mentioned *so* often that if it doesn't turn out to be important in some way, I'll be let down.

There *are* a lot of questions about Godric's Hollow and the night of the Potters' death that have been mulling around in my head though.

pooka
Member # 5003

Well, the shadows that came out of Voldemort's wand were just shadows, not actual souls. If someone were cursed, would it matter whether the residual were still alive or still dead? But HP lexicon refers to Crookshanks as "he" so I think that's less likely. Later I dreamed my husband bought a pig and a lamb, and they didn't get along.
solo
Member # 3148

- posted      Profile for solo   Email solo         Edit/Delete Post 
Plus, it's been stated by Rowling that Crookshanks is not an Animagus (he is likely a half-Kneazle)
Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.