FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Ways to ensure I do not give you money if you* panhandle at my exit (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Ways to ensure I do not give you money if you* panhandle at my exit
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.chapambrose.com/blog/phillyhomelessness/index.html

This guy is friends with one of my chick friends. His whole site is full of really interesting ideas and observations, many dealing with social problems.

Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
One thing to keep in mind, if seeing a homeless person smoking plays an active part in your decision to help them, is that homeless who smoke are constantly bumming cigarettes. Even if I have no change (which is almost always), I'm generally willing to part with a cigarette.
Very true.
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
I do not give my to panhandlers when:

1. They are using the gimmick of "why lie? it's for beer!" or other variants.

2. They are aggressive and/or scary.

In my college-town of Eugene, OR, there's a guy who is kind of a legend on campus. You see, he stands in front of the university book store and sells 'joke books'. I've never bought one nor seen the contents of one, so I have no idea whether they are actually worth it to buy. All I know is that this guy (a somewhat overweight old hippie with long grey hair and beard and tie-died shirt) is really aggressive. "Do you want to hear the world's funniest joke?" The strange thing is, panhandling in Eugene is strictly against the law. This guy operates out of an old newspaper selling box (it's where he locks up his jokebooks when he's not around) that is less than a block from the local police station. Odd.... Anyway, rumor has it that this guy, who's named Frog, by the way, comes to all of the UO football and basketball games, often times armed with a large amount of alcoholic beverage. Chances are, I won't be supporting his quasi-business.

On the other hand, I saw a panhandler on a cold December day on a street corner wearing clothes that were altogether too thin for that kind of weather. I had a wool blanket in the back of my car that I gave to him, and he seemed quite pleased with it. In the future, I even saw him using it, so I know that it was genuinely valued.

Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholar
Member # 9232

- posted      Profile for scholar   Email scholar         Edit/Delete Post 
I HATE the school organizations that panhandle. I understand that your soccer team needs money, but try an actual fundraising activity- like a carwash. If my little girl someday joined a team and standing on the street in team uniform was their fundraiser, I would forbid her from going.

I also refused to give money to the people who sat outside Reliant stadium with a sign "Katrina took everything from me, please help." The entire stadium was full of people in that same situation. I did contribute money and time though to help the masses in the stadium.
Other than that, I decide based on cash and convenience for panhandlers. I contribute to other causes though. I have offered people food, but been refused.

Posts: 1001 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

Oooh, that's a good one. Don't panhandle on the same two blocks you've been on for years and claim you're a Katrina victim. Practically every homeless person in Houston was claiming Katrina victim for a while.
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by vonk:
Oooh, that's a good one. Don't panhandle on the same two blocks you've been on for years and claim you're a Katrina victim. Practically every homeless person in Houston was claiming Katrina victim for a while.

Back when I worked at an eBay consignment store, we'd get questions from bidders about whether we could donate the items because they were Katrina victims. [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
Scott, I think that is a wonderful attitude. We "non-mo" Christians have Scripture that addresses the issue as well:

quote:
Luke 6:30 "Give to everyone who asks of you, and whoever takes away what is yours, do not demand it back.

Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I HATE the school organizations that panhandle. I understand that your soccer team needs money, but try an actual fundraising activity- like a carwash. If my little girl someday joined a team and standing on the street in team uniform was their fundraiser, I would forbid her from going.

I absolutely forbid my kids from participating in these things as well. I tell the organizers that I will write a check for her portion of the proceeds directly to the organization, but I WILL NOT have my daughter out by street corners begging from strangers.

I never give to those either.

My charitable giving is through my church, exclusively because, as a voting member, I have a say in how it's spent and I know it's going to worthy causes. I'm another one that doesn't carry cash on most occasions. I do however, like the idea of keeping granola bars or something in my purse. That's a good idea, and it might help someone who is truly hungry, for a little while anyway.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
My husband and I generally give when asked because we can't know who has a real need and who doesn't, and it gives us a good feeling to give, anyway. So, it's really just selfish. [Wink]

Now, I usually don't carry cash, but one night I was. We were in a 24-hour grocery store, and it was about 3am. We were at the self check-out and I went back to get some bananas so I was separated from my husband. This woman walking with a cane approached me and asked me for a couple of dollars because she was short. I gave it to her, but I made the mistake of letting her see the inside of my wallet. There wasn't a lot of money, but I had several more dollars.

We finished our shopping, and I saw her by the ice cream display. By the time we had checked out, she was there ready to check out behind us and she had the nerve to ask me for yet another dollar--she was buying ice cream cones and brand name Oreo ice cream--not even the generic stuff. *sigh* I gave it to her, but I wondered what the freaking emergency was that she had to beg for her late night craving for ice cream. I wish now that I had refused--let her go back and get the generic cookies and cream. Oh well.

It's hard for me to keep that sense of optimism in giving without worrying how they'll use it later. In fact, I think next time I'll ask a few more questions or just ignore outright. I know it was only $3, but it annoys me to this day. She didn't even try to hide it.

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
When I was in Toronto, there were a few panhandlers in my neighbourhood. One deliberately tripped my roommate when she didn't have change. One would swear at me every time I said "I don't carry cash" (and I honestly didn't). One would ask for bus money, but by the third or fourth time I ran into him, I was getting suspicious.

But there were some genuinely hungry, lonely people. One of them was Stan. I met him outside the 7-11 on my way home around midnight, and it was a very cold night so I asked him if he'd like a coffee or something to eat. He said he just wanted a small hot chocolate, but I bought him a bit more than that. He was so startled. Every time I saw him after that, I would pick him up a hot chocolate and a bag of fritos, and eventually we would talk a little. He was a nice guy. I was glad to see it when he and his sleeping bag made it through the winter.

I got approached a lot for money, and it would really break my heart. I'm not a mormon, but I always have the same sort of verses ringing through my head. "Whatever you did to the least of my brothers..." comes to mind. When I am asked for an accounting of my life, I'm not going to be asked if I supported a drunk. I'm going to be asked what *I* did. What the drunk does is a totally different matter.

When I had money, I would go to Tim Hortons and buy gift certificates. Timmy's is still one of the few places that let you buy gift certificates in very small denominations (5-packs of $1 certificates). When I was asked for money, I would offer a pack of those instead. Most of the time people took them, but sometimes I was turned down. Those people I feel no guilt over not helping.

If you've kicked my roommate, or you're standing around with ludicruously expensive clothes and drinking a gatorade, I probably won't give anything to you. If you swear at me, nothing doing. But if you honestly appear to be in need, I may be a really soft touch. I can't help it.

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Eh, as for me, I usually give to the guys if I've got some spare bills at hand, even if I'm reasonably sure it's a scam. Particularly if I can tell they're homeless (and aside from The Man with the Twisted Lip, it's usually pretty easy to tell). Honestly, it's not because I suspect some spare change will help in any substantive way, but because homelessness is a miserable existence, and I'm incapable of alleviating that when I see them in any meaningful way, so I throw a...well, I dunno. Like giving candy to a kid who skinned his knee, I suppose, in terms of effectiveness.

And if they're going to use that money to buy some drugs...well then, I contributed a couple of bucks to the 'Stop that Guy from Robbing Someone' fund.

Then again, I'm a soft touch. I've also picked up hitchhikers.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
This may be hypocritical but I just do not pick up hitchhikers. I feel the potential risk outweighs the benefit they could gain from me picking them up.

But that applies to folks walking down the street with their thumb out, if somebody was was waving the arms distressfully I'd likely stop to see what all the hub bub was about.

I still am not sure if that is the correct attitude to have however.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

My rule of thumb for hitchhikers:

-If they have a sign and the destination is on my route,
-and if they have baggage.

If someone is hitchhiking without a backpack and their thumb out, there's no way I'm picking them up.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, people who swear at me (or others) lose any chance to convince me that I should help them.

But if I do have change (or a spare dollar), they will get it if I am asked politely and don't feel threatened (I usually have my babies with me, you threaten my babies and you get nothing from me.)

And I have been known to approach homeless people sitting in Burger King or Jack in the Box, slowly sipping a drink to get out of the heat (or cold) and ask if they'd like a hamburger or a chicken sandwich or something.

I don't do hitchhikers because 1) there's never room in the car 'cause of all the carseats and 2) wouldn't do it with kids in the car (which there invariably are.)

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
In Jerusalem, near the Wailing Wall, there are incredible amounts of beggars. They are very aggressive and talented in their art. I realized the best way was to pretend not to speak English so they couldn't latch on to anything...
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

- posted      Profile for Javert Hugo   Email Javert Hugo         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd never pick up a hitchhiker. Simply not worth the risk.

I have occasionally accepted offers of rides when I was walking to get gas after running out. I probably shouldn't do that. They were just so nice.

Posts: 1753 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Javert Hugo:
I'd never pick up a hitchhiker. Simply not worth the risk.

I have occasionally accepted offers of rides when I was walking to get gas after running out. I probably shouldn't do that. They were just so nice.

Yeah, I only accept rides from folks I know. If I was stranded I would call a friend or AAA!
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

- posted      Profile for Javert Hugo   Email Javert Hugo         Edit/Delete Post 
One time, I did turn down all the men who offered. However, it was Sunday, and one woman saw me walking on her way home from church. She drove the person home she was riding with and came back to see if I still needed help. I did, and she even tried to pay for my gas. She was so incredibly sweet. [Smile]
Posts: 1753 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by vonk:
My rule of thumb for hitchhikers:

::groan::
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

[Big Grin]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
One time, I did turn down all the men who offered. However, it was Sunday, and one woman saw me walking on her way home from church. She drove the person home she was riding with and came back to see if I still needed help. I did, and she even tried to pay for my gas. She was so incredibly sweet. [Smile]

Well, that's not so bad.

I remember when our car broke down on the freeway once and my mom accepted a ride-- but made sure to point out to us that the lady we got a ride with was a nun. She told us to always be VERY careful about accepting rides from people we don't know, and that our rule of thumb should be "don't." But there are exceptions. [Smile]

Raventhief
Member # 9002

- posted      Profile for Raventhief   Email Raventhief         Edit/Delete Post 
<rant>
Gah! Street performing is NOT one step above begging! In most countries it's a recognized profession, and absolutely EVERY part of the entertainment industry has its roots in street performing or busking. It bugs me when people talk about it this way.
YES, I street perform. I'm not poor, I'm not homeless, I do pretty well. Yes, I know that I could get other jobs. Wait, no, I HAVE other jobs. Street performing is an excellent way to supplement my income and gosh darn it all, it's FUN. It is NOT begging. I perform, I make people smile and laugh, they pay me for it. Just because we didn't agree on a price up front and you aren't sitting in a dark room somewhere does NOT make it less respectable than "theater". And anybody who thinks it does can go do something unsavory with a nearby furry animal.
</rant>

*pant* *pant* *pant*

Posts: 354 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

Oh, I once accepted a "need to refill gas tank" ride from a disreputable-looking man in a swanky SUV. I clearly have no principles and am very happy with that.
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
We once picked up a hitchhiker on the reservation. He had a long pony tail, and thin beard and no luggage. I had the kids with me, but we had one seat free in the van. My (then) teenage son spent the ride sparing with him about local politics and religion. That winter, we saw him again. He was a regular HS Basketball Referee in our league. I know my son got at least a couple of "overlooks" that season.
Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
Oh, I once accepted a "need to refill gas tank" ride from a disreputable-looking man in a swanky SUV. I clearly have no principles and am very happy with that.

This is why I get scared for you. [Frown]
vonk
Member # 9027

What does George Carlin say about the rules of the road and payment for hitchhiking in Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back?
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not suggesting that statistically, a woman is just as likely to be victimized by a man as opposed to vice versa in this sort of situation...but truthfully, I believe the chances are still pretty low.

I've picked up hitchhikers...oh, I guess something close to half a dozen times in my life, and given some money to panhandlers quite a few times more than that, and have never once been attacked. Granted, a long, careful, scrutinizing look coupled with listening to my instincts went into play in all of those-and there have been times I haven't helped because there was almost a palpable bad vibe.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
I "hitchhike" every day to work. Except, we call it "slugging."

Details

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Scott R:

Details

That's...amazing.
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
It really is.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

It's fairly neat. I do a lot of my writing in the back seat of someone else's car. I save on gas. I get home faster. I save wear on my own car. I help not pollute the environment.

The cost is standing outside in sometimes not pleasant weather, and maybe not getting a comfortable seat all the time. It was a no-brainer decision to start slugging.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Every time you mention slugging, Scott, it blows my mind a little more. I mean, it makes sense for everyone involved, but . . .
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Slugging is... interesting.

Here, as Fahim has explained to me, we could buy rice & curry packets for people begging for food, but the recipient then usually turns around and sells the food packet back to the vendor and takes the money in exchange. So no better than giving change.

Beggers here are also extremely aggressive. They latch on to me, they follow me sometimes for hundreds of feet, they do not take no for an answer, they yell in my ear or keep shaking their coin jar over and over, and they do not give up. They do, however, leave obviously rich Sri Lankans alone out of respect for them, or so I'm told.

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

Rivka--

[Smile]

But what?

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
This looks like a better way to ask for money.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
*handles pan*

No, this is not an Onanism post.

OK, yes it is.

Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:

Details

That's awesome!
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
This looks like a better way to ask for money.

Also awesome.
Luet13
Member # 9274

- posted      Profile for Luet13   Email Luet13         Edit/Delete Post 
While attending Columbia College Chicago, I was repeatedly approached by a man known as 'The Toad.' Initially I found him funny because he would bow, talk in a phony English accent, and say things like, "Greetings my lovely lady. I am the ugliest toad that ever walked this earth." Then he would tell stories about his crazy girlfriend or wife or whatever. I enjoyed his shpiel until a certain day.

He often told me I was beautiful and I would smile, sometimes give him change, and go my merry way. One day I walked out of the music department and he greeted me by saying, "You are one fine spring chicken!" I replied, "What? Did you just call me a spring chicken?" He said, "Yeah, you a fine cut of meat." That ended our civil relationship and from then on no money and no conversation from me.

I can't really explain why that changed my attitude towards him. I guess I was offended a bit, and it made me nervous. Chicago beggars can be extremely aggresive, and like Goody said, if you give once, they'll find you again. And again. And again. I used to give money to a guy seven years ago and he still asks me for money.

Posts: 511 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Rivka--

[Smile]

But what?

But . . .

strangers! In my car! They could be crazy people!

Or worse yet, Hatrackers!!

[Eek!]

mph, that's very [Cool]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AutumnWind
Member # 9124

- posted      Profile for AutumnWind           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
By the time we had checked out, she was there ready to check out behind us and she had the nerve to ask me for yet another dollar--she was buying ice cream cones and brand name Oreo ice cream--not even the generic stuff. *sigh* I gave it to her, but I wondered what the freaking emergency was that she had to beg for her late night craving for ice cream. I wish now that I had refused--let her go back and get the generic cookies and cream. Oh well.

My thought is why give her the extra dollar. If you already spared what you wanted/could/needed to spare, why not say I'm sorry but I gave you what I could. It is ok to say no.
What bothers me is that when you have already gone out of your way to do something nice and then you're guilted into even more. That's just not acceptable.

Posts: 66 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

quote:
strangers! In my car! They could be crazy people!

Well... I don't drive. I ride. So they're not in my car, I'm in theirs.

I did have some safety concerns, starting out. But I've got a cell phone, and both my starting point and destination point are very well defined. I suppose someone COULD do something nefarious, but I think the randomness and atmosphere of slugging kind of dissuades the possibility.

It's not for everyone, but it really has been a boon for us.

quote:
Or worse yet, Hatrackers!!
Yeah, that'd be...very odd. I'd probably be all fidgety and nervous and hyper-tense. I'd probably have to swear off slugging forever, just to avoid meeting anyone again...
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
The rubbish dude is great. Thanks for linking, mph.
Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen the trash guy around, but I had no idea he was making such a splash. Then I stumbled across an editorial yesterday where the author speculated about making it more widespread. The verdict, after going out and recruiting a few street people? They were keen on it, or at least willing to give it a try, but the unionised city workers would probably object to it being so widespread. Ironic, in a city where the mayor declared a 2-hour city-wide trash clean-up, and encouraged everyone in the city to stop what they were doing and pitch in.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
I would totally give that guy money.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
The thing I've found interesting about slugging in the DC area is what an excellent track record it has. I don't know that any official statistics have been kept but in this case its perception and statistical safety that matter. I expect that even one highly publicized car jacking or kidnapping associated with the slug lines would be enough to shut the system down. In fact several of the websites on slugging acknowledge this and others note that not one single crime has been associated with the slug lines. The slug line demonstrate that hitchhiking isn't inherently dangerous and suggests that the widespread (at least in America) fear of it is overblown.

I've never picked up a hitchhiker when I was alone but I will when my husband is with me and we have room. I have hitchhiked myself on several different occasions. Once when we had a tire blow out on the Navajo reservation, once when I got stranded in the Salzkammergut due to a misleading bus schedule and numerous times associated with hikes. There are alot of places in the west even in the canyons just outside Salt Lake City where its common for people to begin a hike at one trail head, come out a different place and then hitch back to their cars. People seem to be more willing to pick up hikers trying to get back to their cars than they are to pick up generic hitchhikers.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
There were a bunch of beggars in Rome who got money by having a cute puppy. I guess people would feel bad for the dog and gave money so it wouldn't starve, but I always wondered what happened when the dogs got big and less cute.
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
On the slugging track record, it goes back to at least 1989, so it's a good long record. It was already well established at that point, when my carpool used to pick up slugs if people didn't show up and we needed more to get on HOV.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Luet13:
He often told me I was beautiful and I would smile, sometimes give him change, and go my merry way. One day I walked out of the music department and he greeted me by saying, "You are one fine spring chicken!" I replied, "What? Did you just call me a spring chicken?" He said, "Yeah, you a fine cut of meat." That ended our civil relationship and from then on no money and no conversation from me.

I can't really explain why that changed my attitude towards him.

I think I understand why that changed your attitude. There can be a fine line between funny and playful and creepy. We rarely know exactly where the line is until someone crosses it and sets off our internal alarms. When he was calling you lovely and beautiful he was complimenting you in a harmless and playful way. But 'spring chicken' and 'cut of meat' were sufficiently objectifying or perhaps had too many sexual overtones to be insulting and perhaps a bit threatening.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

I think slugging benefits from a certain atmosphere as well.

Bad drivers don't get slugs. There was a gentleman that used to pick up slugs at the Pentagon to go to down to Fredericksburg; he was a terribly reckless driver, and he got a reputation. Fredericksburg slugs passed the word around amongst themselves, and within a couple weeks, no one would take him up. So he started going to the Falmouth lots, and the same thing happened.

I haven't seen him drive through the slug lines in a while now.

Lots of slugs frequent the forum on slug-lines.com; they can get word around pretty quickly about drivers to avoid.

Someone could feasibly kidnap me on the way home, or on the way to work; but that could happen anywhere, I guess.

For me, the convenience of slugging has overcome the theoretical dangers of it.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.