FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Official Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Discussion and Spoiler Thread (Page 2)

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  8  9  10   
Author Topic: The Official Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Discussion and Spoiler Thread
Pepek
Member # 3773

- posted      Profile for Pepek   Email Pepek         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, true. But I don't think everyone does walk away scott free in the book. Just because the main characters didn't die, doesn't mean they haven't had huge losses. but you know that.
Posts: 690 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
I liked the ending and the epilogue. I'm very glad Harry didn't die permanently. Heroic and tragic, yes, but I prefer the idea that evil can be defeated and life can go on afterward.

I'm not surprised that folks came up with theories that turned out to be correct. With all the theories that have been flying around since the end of HBP, at least some of them were likely to turn out to be correct.

I ...like? approve of? the resolution of Snape's character. I like that Dumbledore had major faults. I have to think about the rest, though, for a while longer.

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
heifertipper
Member # 10612

- posted      Profile for heifertipper   Email heifertipper         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with believing the book better because of its happy ending. Harry wouldn't be the "boy who lived" if Voldemort killed him in the end. I think if Harry would have died, the whole legend of Harry Potter would have lost the hope it engendered.

I was flat out crying during the Prince's Tale. I knew it was coming, because Snape loving Lily would have been the only reason Dumbledore would have believed Snape was trustworthy. Ha, Voldy was once again thwarted by love. I knew he loved her, but I was happy to see that they were best friends as well. I always thought it would be more one sided than it really was. Yeah JK.

I thought the end, when Harry was monologuing, to be a bit much, but I don't know how else JK could have handled it. I think everyone needed to know that Voldy's second hand man was Harry's biggest ally, especially Voldemort. His lack of understanding love did him in. He should have realized that Snape would be his biggest enemy once he killed Lily.

I knew one of the twins would die, and I think it is only because I have a twin sister and it would be the biggest tragedy I could think of if I lost her. Fred and George were so close. I was extremely afraid for Molly W. because I thought her death would be the most tragic for the Weasly family. She was the glue and I almost had a heart attack when she decided to take on Bellatrix.

Did anyone else feel this book to be the heaviest of the seven? I felt like the suspense never stopped. It was one thing after another. I was emotionally drained when I finished.

I wish someone would have offed Umbridge. I think I would have killed her myself for mounting Moody's eye on her door. She has to be evilest character in the book save Voldemort. Bellatrix was just plain insane so I don't count her.

I loved Kreacher's transformation, it was nice to see what happens when he felt wanted. It sounded like Regulus was a better man than Sirius. I agreed with JK when she said "it is how you treat the people below you that shows your true character", and Regulus loved Kreacher. I do wonder why Kreacher didn't apparate Regulus out of there. He obviously could take people with him and Regulus only needed water, a side effect that Kreacher should have been prepared for.

Ron and Hermione were great, I hope they keep the part where she beats on him in the movie. The best part was when Hermione screamed " I begged you to come back but you didn't". It was heart wrenching. I think it will be great to see. Their first kiss (I think it was their first kiss) was hilarious, especially Harry's reaction.

Needless to say, I loved this book. The only thing I would have wanted was a little more back ground information on what happened afterward. Did the trio go back to school the next year? What do they do for a living? Where is Luna and the rest of the Weasly's. I kind of feel like JK set it up to do more books if she wanted to. There is still a lot of questions she could answer.

Posts: 13 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Question: Who was it that performed magic late in life?
That would be Merope Gaunt, back in Book 6.
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pepek
Member # 3773

I think the reason Kreacher didn't apparate Regulus out of there was because he was following his orders to a T, and couldn't have known if Regulus would want him to interfere or not.
Posts: 690 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Pepek:
I think the reason Kreacher didn't apparate Regulus out of there was because he was following his orders to a T, and couldn't have known if Regulus would want him to interfere or not.

Also, compared to what Voldy would do to him, maybe Regulus preferred the Inferi.
Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wendybird
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Wendybird   Email Wendybird         Edit/Delete Post 
What an intense ride. It did seem much more suspenseful. But maybe its because I read it all in one sitting (okay I took a break about 3/4ths of the way through to get some ice cream with my hubby - I needed a break!). I loved it.
Posts: 1132 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
One thing that I would liked to see in the epilogue was Uncle Dudley showing up to help send his favorite nephew off to Hogwarts.

---

Should Harry have died? I don't think so. I haven't fully thought this out, having just finished the book, but his willing sacrifice followed by his return to life fit the series for me. I'm going to throw out some thoughts on why.

I understand the dying/gravely wounded hero thing, but I honestly believe that this was a better fit for the series and it was well within the rules.

Some times you do get to go home again. Some times the hero lives. Johnny comes marching home again. This is especially true when the hero is really just a kid. This was Harry's (and the other kids) graduation book (and many of the adults redemption book).

Harry's life was pretty bad. He was able to get little pockets of good stuff, but they kept getting taken away. There was a deliberate paralleling between him and Voldemort. Ultimately, it came down to love. Harry, despite it all, developed and maintained the ability to love, something that Voldemort never understood. It stymied him (V) at every turn - with Lily's protect, with Snape, with Dumbledore, and, at the end, with Narcissa's love of her son getting her to hide that Harry was alive.

Harry could have gone the same way, but didn't. Even his choice to return back to life was motivated in large part out of love (actually, thinking about it, I wish JKR had played up the "Harry's going to heaven" thing in a similar manner to the 6th season of Buffy, making it look like returning to the world where he was in tremendous pain and danger looked more like another big sacrifice).

Love can make you vulnerable. It can make you weak and cause you to do things that are against your short-term self interest. But the rewards (rewards that aren't avaiable or even understandable to the power seeking isolates like Voldemort) can be great. Harry is shown getting those rewards in the end, but only because he was willing to give up everything for the love that made them possible.

That works for me. And, as I said, I think it fits the series better than if he died.

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think a depressing ending would've been the true indulgent and immature ending.
I think the problem with the happy ending is not the details that are given to us but that it didn't deal with any of the issues. For instance: What happens to George? Who brings up Ted? What about the funerals? What about a memorial? Who cleans up Hogwarts?

JK avoided these, ending with only the happy pieces (a celebration, a moral choice, two marriages and children). I think that the actual ending wasn't particularly overwhelmingly happy, just that, for some reason, she chose not to deal with the darker issues that, for many of you, would make it more realistic. (Especially considering how obviously the attack on Muggle-borns is linked to the attack on Jews during WWII).

This is my problem with the ending because instead of making the ending easier to deal with, I found it harder, because nothing was ever actually said. I think JKR was trying to give it a happy ending for the children (think of the children!), but for an adult or older person it seems unbelievable.

Hence my need to write another chapter to both provide further details and to delve a little further into the darkness of the ending, thus providing more of a slope from intense evil to "nineteen years later" where wounds have healed and families formed.

Also, about "nineteen years later": Notice that scene is written in a very light (for lack of a better word) manner, as if the narration is just skimming the top. Very few emotions are noted; when they are they are put in an eleven-year-old, glowy, innocent, way. I'm sure JKR did that on purpose, showing us merely the edge of a moment that says 'and they lived happily ever after'.

For a child, that is the most glorious thing ever, for an adult, the naivite of it only makes us wonder.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fyfe
Member # 937

- posted      Profile for Fyfe   Email Fyfe         Edit/Delete Post 
The one thing that I really, really wish she had done is talk about Fred in the epilogue. It could have been really brief - just something to indicate that, say, George had carried on with Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes but provided some kind of memorial to Fred. I love Fred and George. Ever so much.
Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I must say, I am slightly disappointed. His marching to his death was noble, and beautiful and I would have liked that to have been the end. I would have liked him to have killed Voldy with his death and then been reunited with his parents and Sirius and Dumbledore. I envisioned him looking back, worrying about Ginny, but maybe seeing Neville comforting her and knowing they would all be all right - then the epilogue chapter where Neville and Ginny's son Harry gets on the train.
I think if it had ended like this, I would've been really, really angry.
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
firebird
Member # 1971

- posted      Profile for firebird   Email firebird         Edit/Delete Post 
I completely disagree that the ending is childish / incomplete / insufficiently deep.

To me 19 Years Later reads, "and life, ordinanry life went on". I also liked it ending on platform 9 and 3/4 as that is where it all started.

It's not important to me that it is all resolved, life so rarely is, and it is not important to me that they lived happily ever after, I just want to know that they lived and glad to know that they managed to live without shadows.

I suspect she toyed with killing Harry and actually couldn't bring herself to do it and if I'm honest, I think we got off lightly.

Posts: 571 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
firebird
Member # 1971

- posted      Profile for firebird   Email firebird         Edit/Delete Post 
Also : The bit that filled me with dread was the idea that Snape was shown to be the hero he was and that Harry would die without having passed that info on .... I was sooooooo worried.
Posts: 571 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aretee
Member # 1743

- posted      Profile for aretee   Email aretee         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Did anyone else feel this book to be the heaviest of the seven? I felt like the suspense never stopped. It was one thing after another. I was emotionally drained when I finished.
My step-daughters finished hours before I did. I wanted to be alone when I finished for the exact reason you stated above. I knew I would be drained at the end and I didn't want to talk about it. I finished at 5am, logged on to Hatrack and read some threads about it. Updated my myspace (to let my friend know I was finished and to call me when she is through), and then just sat and thought about it. Even when we were driving to church this morning I didn't want to talk about it too much.

This is a series I will probably re-read non-stop for the rest of my life. One year: Tolkein, Next year: Rowling, Next year: CS Lewis, repeat.

*sigh*

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I completely disagree that the ending is childish / incomplete / insufficiently deep.
What I meant was childlike, not childish- as is the first book. One is derogatory, the other is not.

I think that the book was complete but the series was not. There were themes in the series that never got (for me) satisfactory closure in the book. If it had been just a book, I would require only one sentence about "Uncle George" to make it complete.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
heifertipper
Member # 10612

- posted      Profile for heifertipper   Email heifertipper         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
My step-daughters finished hours before I did. I wanted to be alone when I finished for the exact reason you stated above. I knew I would be drained at the end and I didn't want to talk about it. I finished at 5am, logged on to Hatrack and read some threads about it. Updated my myspace (to let my friend know I was finished and to call me when she is through), and then just sat and thought about it. Even when we were driving to church this morning I didn't want to talk about it too much.[/QB]
Exactly. My sister and I were only about twenty pages apart so after we finished we just sat there, staring at each other, not saying much. I felt like I had run a marathon.

quote:
Yeah, you are probably right. I guess I would have thought Regulus would have asked more questions of Kreacher about his experience in the cave so he would have known what to expect, and would have been able to tell Kreacher specifically what he needed to do. House elves are awesome, I was wondering who had gone with Regulus to cave because he obviously could not have done it by himself and I had guessed that Kreacher was probably keeping it safe, but I had no idea it was Kreacher who had helped him get the necklace. So cool.

[ July 22, 2007, 05:15 PM: Message edited by: heifertipper ]

Posts: 13 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I expected to take until mid-week to finish but I'm done. I'm exhausted. What a roller coaster! I gasped and shouted and cheered and cried...what a powerful book. I'm still letting it all sink in.

She took her gloves off for this one. It did not feel at all childish, and it wasn't just the death, although there was a lot of that.

I'm left with just a few things...

1. The blood Voldemort took from Harry and somehow it saved him in the end...I don't get it. I'm going to reread it after I get a good night's sleep and see if I can't make more sense of the explanation, but right now it just sounds like so much gibberish.

2. Who was the person who would do magic late in life under extraordinary circumstances? I swore this was something Rowling herself put out there but as it didn't happen (that I noticed...and I thought I read every word) I'm wondering if I got tricked into thinking a rumor was the truth.

3. I was a bit let down by the epilogue. We didn't learn anything about the futures of the characters, really. We knew Harry would marry Ginny and have children, but what did he end up doing? I also found myself missing a sense of how the dramatic last scene affected the Potter-mystique.

Anyway, the rest will have to wait until I get a good night's sleep. Tomorrow I'm getting a copy on audio CD and listening to it again. [Smile] (My husband read it to me this weekend.)

Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by firebird:
Also : The bit that filled me with dread was the idea that Snape was shown to be the hero he was and that Harry would die without having passed that info on .... I was sooooooo worried.

I know. That would have sucked! I really wish she'd write a book about Snape because he's soooooooo fascinating.
I just love the way she shapes these characters, the way they are imperfect, the way the good guys have a bit of bad in them, the bad characters some strains of good. I think that's what makes me like her books so much.

Also, I like the way the book ended all sweet and innocent because that's how it began! Harry was abused, lost his parents, but he still was good natured and hopeful.
It makes sense for the book to end the same way, with a new generation of kids who don't have to live with the evil of Voldermort hanging over their heads.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

While I'm getting my flame proof armor ready, did anyone else feel this book was at least 200 pages too long? I mean, truly it should have been condensed some.

Not even a little bit! Actually, I wouldn't have minded another 50 pages tying up a couple of additional lose ends. I thought that almost every moment swept me up and I can't even see how they'll condense it to fit into a movie. Yeah, it was a *little* slow during their forest wandering, but even that seemed necessary to me.

As to the Harry living or dying thing...I never expected him to die. To me, the prophecy was clear...ONE of them would die. Plus, while it was clear that she put the fear in us that she could kill him, the dramatic tension was all in the possibility, not in the fulfillment. As Harry walked to his death, I knew there would be a reprieve -- although I didn't expect the form. I actually thought after Hermione read about Horcruxes, that maybe he would somehow use their connection to make Voldy feel remorse. Oh well, it was a thought. [Smile]

Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pepek
Member # 3773

Voldster didn't seem to be very surprised when Harry wasn't dead again.. I suppose he got use to being a failure in that area..
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
Boy, it was a field day with the people that work at the EB around the corner.

I've never read any books and saw only the first movie, but there was one girl there that was such an easy target, and the store manager and one other guy were torturing her so...

Guy in store: "Well... I don't want to reveal more than you already know. But I do think Voldemont's make out scene wasn't necessary."

Manager: "You kidding? It establishes Hermione's state of mind! She wouldn't have... er... did what she did hadn't she enjoyed him so. Caught Harry by surprise when he wasn't looking, didn't it? By the way... that must have hurt... 'til the end, of course..."

Girl: "STOP! STOP IT! STOP!"

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
Question: The HP series is over. If Rowling were to write another book/series, would you prefer:

1: A book centering around other charcters in the HP universe that:
a) Knew Harry and/or played a central role in the HP heptalogy.
b) Played very minor roles in the Harry potter books.
c) Have nothing or little to do with HP, and take place in the same universe but in a different time a/o place.

2: A fantasy book/series centered in a completely new universe completely seperate from the HP series.

3: Non fantasy.

Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
FToaS, maybe start another thread for that question? It's a good one, and I think it might get buried in this thread.

I finished the book, I've mostly stopped crying, I've read the thread. Now to write a post! [Wink]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

- posted      Profile for Tinros           Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it was obvious that Harry and Ginny raised Teddy Lupin- Harry's the godfather, and didn't they say, "OUR Teddy?!" when someone caught him making out with someone else?
Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
FToaS, maybe start another thread for that question? It's a good one, and I think it might get buried in this thread.

Right, because we need another HP thread.

*does what rivka says, sulkily*

Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

[Warning: Long, and because y'all had a 20(+)-hour headstart on me, much of it is agreeing or disagreeing and not much more.]

quote:
Originally posted by Fyfe:
I so called it.

Yup! [Big Grin] I even remember thinking, "Who was it who predicted that?"

quote:
And I was very surprised that Harry didn't end up raising baby Teddy. I thought it was so fitting, what with him being the godfather and with Teddy being Lupin's kid - so I was kind of bummed that didn't pan out.

Agreed! I completely expected him to have been raised by Harry and Ginny, and NO, coming round for dinner four times a week and snogging Victoire (whose daughter was she, btw?) does NOT do the trick.

quote:
Originally posted by Puffy Treat:
did anyone expect to find out Dumbledore had so many skeletons in his closet?

No! And that was marvelous -- made him a far more 3-d character.

quote:
Originally posted by pooka:
I cried a bunch of other times. I'm such a baby.

[Cry] Me too!

quote:
Originally posted by Chris Bridges:
My major complaint - I want to know what the three did in those 19 years! Apparently none of them are at Hogwarts, so what do they do?

Agreed!

quote:
Originally posted by Chris Bridges:
I'd like to think that Harry became a Quidditch star and then worked as an unofficial Auror.

Works for me. [Wink] What we know he didn't do is become a teacher at Hogwarts -- or if he did, he had left the post by the time his kids were students there.

quote:
Originally posted by ElJay:
When Voldemort goes into Gregorovitch's memories to find out what happened to the wand, Gregorovitch comes down the hall, opens the door, and sees Grindelwald going out the window. They never fought, and Grindelwald is referred to as "the young thief" or "the blonde thief" until they find out who he is from Skeeter's book.

I don't see any statement that they DID fight in the book, and it certainly strongly implies they didn't.

Maybe that's why Dumbledore was able to defeat him? Because Grindelwald indeed had not mastered the wand?

quote:
Originally posted by sarcasticmuppet:
Some theories that I thought were bunk, like the Horcrux!Harry, turned out to be correct, but it was well-executed enough that I didn't care.

Exactly! I went, "No!?! Really!?" but by a few sentences later, it was ok.

quote:
Originally posted by Narnia:
I was amazed at some of the correct theories:

Snape in love with Lily.
Snape and Lily were BFFs before Hogwarts.
Harry is a Horcrux.

The first I had no trouble believing beforehand. The second I thought was possible but unlikely, but was perfectly happy to be proven wrong. The third . . . well. No one but Rowling could have sold me on that one, and I barely bought it from her. [Wink]

quote:
Lupin and Tonks. Holy crap. He just mentioned that he saw them laid out there with the dead and I had to read it three times before I would believe it. I thought of their little son and cried the most of all. It was just that little paragraph, but it slayed me, and still brings tears to my eyes when I think of it now.

Yes! Poor little baby boy, ANOTHER baby left without either parent. And while I accept Lupin’s death (it made a lot of sense, in several different ways), there was no point to Dora’s. She didn’t have that close a relationship with Harry (as evidenced by her not showing up with the other Dead People), and it’s not like it was an excuse for Harry to raise Teddy, because he didn’t! I’m not a big fan of the “women stay at home with the kiddies” thing in general, but she really SHOULD have. Poor Teddy!

quote:
I cried during the scene where Harry used the Resurrection Stone to talk to his parents, Sirius, and Lupin before he went to his own death.

*nod nod sniffle*

quote:
The Battle of Hogwarts. I think it's one of the best written climax sequences I've ever read. I love seeing McGonagal charging around the corner with all of those desks.

Yes! They’d better have that in the movie!

quote:
Originally posted by Tarrsk:
Boo to Ginny. SERVES NO PURPOSE. GO AWAY.

[Mad] [No No] [Mad] *hiss*

quote:
Originally posted by Tarrsk:
Luna still rocks. The bit near the end where she understands that Harry needs to get away from all the post-Voldy-Boom attention was adorable.

Agreed! Luna was marvelous, and her yellow-loving (*snicker*) dad was pretty good too.

quote:
Originally posted by Belle:
I really loved that Neville played such a heroic role, and him winding up a Professor at Hogwarts - perfect.

Agreed!

I disagree with you on the ending, though. If he really had died, THAT would have been the overdone cliche. Having to come back and deal with life -- messy and painful though it often is -- was much better.

quote:
Originally posted by BandoCommando:
So the more time Rowling spent talking about Harry's impending death, the more I became convinced that Harry would live.

Agreed.

quote:
Originally posted by heifertipper:
I knew it was coming, because Snape loving Lily would have been the only reason Dumbledore would have believed Snape was trustworthy.

Yup, definitely.

quote:
I loved Kreacher's transformation, it was nice to see what happens when he felt wanted.

*nod nod*

quote:
The only thing I would have wanted was a little more back ground information on what happened afterward. Did the trio go back to school the next year? What do they do for a living? Where is Luna and the rest of the Weasly's.

YES!

quote:
Originally posted by MrSquicky:
One thing that I would liked to see in the epilogue was Uncle Dudley showing up to help send his favorite nephew off to Hogwarts.

That would've been nice, but I'm not sure how believable. Having Dudders turn out to have some cousinly feelings was awesome -- but I'm not convinced it would have led to a relationship of any real depth.

quote:
Originally posted by MrSquicky:
Harry is shown getting those rewards in the end, but only because he was willing to give up everything for the love that made them possible.

That works for me. And, as I said, I think it fits the series better than if he died.

Well put. I agree.

quote:
Originally posted by Tinros:
I thought it was obvious that Harry and Ginny raised Teddy Lupin- Harry's the godfather, and didn't they say, "OUR Teddy?!" when someone caught him making out with someone else?

In that case, why is it clear that Teddy does not live with them, nor has he in the past?

quote:
Originally posted by Flaming Toad on a Stick:
Right, because we need another HP thread.

*LAUGH* Well, true. But I was only looking out for you, no need to sulk. [Wink]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nathan2006
Member # 9387

- posted      Profile for Nathan2006   Email Nathan2006         Edit/Delete Post 
Under 'Scenes that made me emotional', Pretty much everybody has listed everything that came to mind...

Except for when Harry got the Gold watch from Mrs. Weasly for his 17th birthday.

That was my one real qualm with Rowling... There should have been an extra chapter at the end. There may have been, and she decided to cut it out and put in the epilogue... I don't know. But I would have liked a broader denounment. Please excuse my spelling.

PS: Does this thread mean that the other HP thread isn't official?

Posts: 438 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Effin' brilliant.

I could find dozens of little things to pick at, but it seems churlish to do so.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

quote:
Originally posted by Dagonee:
Effin' brilliant.

I could find dozens of little things to pick at, but it seems churlish to do so.

That's my opinion as well.
TheBlueShadow
Member # 9718

- posted      Profile for TheBlueShadow           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Agreed! I completely expected him to have been raised by Harry and Ginny, and NO, coming round for dinner four times a week and snogging Victoire (whose daughter was she, btw?) does NOT do the trick.
I'm going to assume she is Bill and Fleur's daughter because the name is French.

That being said I thought the ending was great. I just hope Albus Severus ended up in Slytherin.

Posts: 96 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
heifertipper
Member # 10612

quote:
[QB] I so called it.

I just read your theory from May, that was friggin (or as JK would say "effing") ingenious. I specifically remember that conversation with Petunia from the book and knew it was important but automatically assumed she was referring to James. Of course I hadn't read Snape's worst memory yet, so I didn't know he was in love with Lily, but I should have reread that part. That was a great allusion, I wish I would have picked up on it. I think JK was writing #5, trying to determine how many clues she should pop in about Snape before the end. I love how, if you read closely you could tell Snape's worst memory was only talking about his calling Lily a mudblood and had nothing to do with the underpants display. She is really good at giving you key info, if you know how to look.
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the biggest thing that bothered me about the epilogue is that we didn't find out anything IMPORTANT. Chiefly among these is what the heck are Harry, Hermione, Ginny, and Ron DOING with their lives? Do they all just sit at home and raise their children? The only profession we get any info on is Neville who, strangely enough, is the only one of them employed at Hogwarts. Hermione didn't become a teacher? So they had kids, who still think in terms of houses (so clearly that little prejudicial thinking hasn't been squashed) and who have no idea why every kid on the train is staring at their family? Have they been in hiding all these years?

I also think both Remus' and Tonks' deaths were gratuitous. Rowling had had Harry rail at Remus for abandoning his child to fight, then act annoyed that Tonks is at the battle and not with her son, and then kills them BOTH? And Harry doesn't say one further word about it? At least Harry's parents died trying to protect him, but let me get this straight: no one had a problem with both of little Ted Lupin's parents going to fight in the huge battle, possibly (and in actuality) leaving him orphaned, but Ginny isn't allowed to fight because she's 16?

The wizarding world's priorities are seriously mixed up.

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by TheBlueShadow:
I'm going to assume she is Bill and Fleur's daughter because the name is French.

D'OH! Of course! And they could have a daughter in her last year at Hogwarts, while it seemed unlikely of any of the others.

quote:
That being said I thought the ending was great. I just hope Albus Severus ended up in Slytherin.

I rather do too. [Smile]

Oh! And I forgot! My favoritest line(s) in the whole book, and probably in the whole series:

quote:
But he was home. Hogwarts was the first and best home he had known. He and Voldemort and Snape, the abandoned boys, had all found home here . . .
That was the point at which I started crying so hard I couldn't read, and therefore started talking to the book. [Wink]
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
and snogging Victoire (whose daughter was she, btw?)

Bill and Fleur. French name.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nathan2006
Member # 9387

- posted      Profile for Nathan2006   Email Nathan2006         Edit/Delete Post 
Harry and Ginny did raise Teddy.

By the time the epilogue took place, he was nineteen years old, a graduate of Hogwarts, and probably living on his own. He probably didn't adjust well considering he was eating four meals a week at Harry and Ginny's house.

That's my theory.

The thing everybody should be mad at is the fact that we don't know whether or not Teddy is a werewolf.

Posts: 438 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nathan2006
Member # 9387

Oh oh oh!!!! Yeah, another thing!

Imagine what kind of life Harry and Ginny led in that long, hard, 19 years raising a Godson at such a young age!

I'm sure the Weasly's came as a great help, especially before Ginny and Harry were married.

Ron and Hermione, of course, helped out, but what kind of Auror would Harry be, what with his Godson at home? And let's face it, he was probably tired of fighting evil, considering he spent the whole of his youth doing so.

So, Harry became a stay at home dad, while Ginny became a famous auror/quiditch player.

At first they didn't make much money (The ministry lacked the power to tax the general wizard population at first, and Ginny wasn't racking in much as an auror), and Harry didn't deem it responsible to spend what savings his parents left him on rent, so, Hermione, Ron, Ginny, and Harry all shared a small apartment for a time, before eventually seperating ways. This was after both couples had their first children, who would not be jealous of their younger sibblings when they came along, for they were used to the presence of another child.

But soon, with a good word from Krum, Ginny found her break and joined the UK Brittish Quiditch team, the very same team that won the Gold Cup twice in a row.

Luna Lovegood married Neville, and while Neville took on teaching Herbology, she taught Care of Magical Teachers. She speciallized in Nargle care.

Draco Malfoy could never quite stop himself from resenting Potter, but he never went out of his way to antagonize him. He married Pansy Parkinson.

Soon, after an Elf rebellion, Hermione Granger negotiated a treaty giving elves the right to use magic, and study at Hogwarts. This bolstered her in the public eye.

Kreacher became the teacher of Elf studies.

Ron followed in his father's footsteps, working alongside his father. Hermione eventually became the first female minister of magic. Percy was her campaign manager.

Harry was often called in to lecture students at Hogwarts, and while he remained actively involved, he never did become a teacher, or headmaster of Hogwarts, although he was offered both positions several times.

George, mourning the loss of his twin, found solace in Cho Chang, and they soon married. With the many funds George's prank business earned him, he and Cho financed the memorial of the Order of the Pheonix, celebrating all of those who had given their lives.

Snape's statue and epitaph in the memorial was right beside Dumbledore's.

Yikes. I got carried away. Honestly, I only meant to write one paragraph.

Oh well. You all may now enjoy my genious.

No need to thank me.

TheBlueShadow
Member # 9718

- posted      Profile for TheBlueShadow           Edit/Delete Post 
Andromeda Tonks probably raised Teddy because at the end of the battle Harry wouldn't have been capable of raising a child. Harry was a big part of his life though and Teddy probably spent a large portion of time with Harry. Hence dinner four nights a week.

We do know that Teddy's a metamorphmagus, right? Wasn't he changing his hair color in his baby photos?

Posts: 96 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reticulum
Member # 8776

- posted      Profile for Reticulum           Edit/Delete Post 
Meh. I liked the part about Snape, that was about it. The rest was good, it just didn't tickle my fancy.
Posts: 2121 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Andromeda Tonks probably raised Teddy because at the end of the battle Harry wouldn't have been capable of raising a child.

Very reasonable, if somewhat unsatisfying. [Wink]

quote:
We do know that Teddy's a metamorphmagus, right? Wasn't he changing his hair color in his baby photos?

Yep.
Reticulum
Member # 8776

Oh, by the way, did anybody else notice that ALL of James original group died? Sirius, Lupin, James, and Pettigrew?
Posts: 2121 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
I put stickies in the book as I went, to remind myself what I wanted to comment on. It's not in front of me right now, so I have a relatively few comments.

I liked Dudley. There's no explanation for his change of heart, given that he was sure Harry had cast a spell on him in book 5, except perhaps Harry's repeated attempts to get them safe in book 7. But I liked it.

Snape. DUH. OF COURSE he was good. It would have been against every narrative convention for him to have been a bad guy all along. The bit about Lily was a nice touch, however. Sad he died so ignominiously.

The afterward. GEEZ. One tiny chapter to tell us what we already knew?! Gah. GAH. WHAT HAPPENED TO EVERYONE ELSE? Did George continue the prank shop, or did he spiral into a deep depression and die a lonely death drowning in a vat of butterbeer? Who was the new Headmaster? WHAT does Harry DO for a living? Does he actually have a job somewhere, or does he rest on his laurels and the lucrative sponsorship contracts? How long does it take to sort out the imperius-cursed Voldy supporters from actual Death Eaters? HOW ON EARTH did Draco escape life in Azkaban? And who guards Azkaban these days, anyway? All the young folks who fought and killed for the first time, how many ended up in St. Mungo's with PTSD? So many questions. Rowling should have taken a page from Eddings, and devoted half a book to wrapping up the loose ends.

One of Harry, Ron, or Hermione (at LEAST one) should have died. Epics don't have happy, cheery endings. The world has been picked up and shaken and some bits have broken and no matter what you do, it's never the same after. The Dark is Rising series had an appropriate ending. It was sad and I hated it, but it was RIGHT.

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
heifertipper
Member # 10612

I actually do not think that Ginny and Harry raised Teddy for a couple of reasons. First they were incredibly young and putting that kind of responsibility on a teenager is hard, even if he did agree to be his godfather. Second, I believe it would have been incredibly cruel to take Teddy away from Tonk's mother. She just lost her husband and daughter to the war, he was the only family she had left, and I do not believe Harry would have insisted he raise the child when Teddy had a perfectly capable grandmother to do so.

I was wondering about Luna and Neville for awhile there, but now I kinda think JK was gravitating towards Luna and Dean. There were a couple hints at the end that seemed like it would have gone that way instead. I also think JK would have mentioned Luna, if she was married to Neville. But then again, I find it incredibly strange that she didn't mention Luna in the epilogue. Ehh, that is just my opinion, who knows for sure. Man I wish she would have written a more detailed epilogue.

Nathan2006
Member # 9387

Duh. Adromeda didn't die.

Another duh for not realizing that a metamorphagus could easily change back into human form, even if it was a werewolf.

This is what you get for typing while the words bypass your brain.

And I call myself a Harry Potter fan.

I'm so ashamed. <Sob> Don't look at me.

Reticulum
Member # 8776

Don't forget that people aren't themselves and can't control themselves when they're werewolves.
Javert
Member # 3076

I think it is possible Harry might have tried raising Teddy. He has a huge house in London and a loyal house-elf to help him, so why not? He would see it as his duty as godfather.
Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

quote:
Originally posted by Reticulum:
Don't forget that people aren't themselves and can't control themselves when they're werewolves.

But he's not full werewolf, and it isn't clear if werewolves pass on their traits to children.

It is awesome to think of a half werewolf, half metemorphamagi. Maybe he's the first wizard to become an animagus (of a sort) from birth?

MoonRabbit
Member # 3652

- posted      Profile for MoonRabbit   Email MoonRabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
I had the craziest HP dream after seeing the movie and re-reading HBP:

Instead of trying to take over the Ministry, Voldemort and the Death Eaters formed a Magical Artists Industry Association and started cracking down on wizards who used the spells other wizards had created, demanding gold every time a copyrighted spell was used. They started pursuing Harry because he had used Snape's spells illegally.

There were doing this whole advertising thing, too, like the RIAA: "Curses aren't the only things that are unforgivable" and "Use a spell illegally, go to Azkaban". Weird.

Posts: 173 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reticulum
Member # 8776

Well, no offense, but with a name like MoonRabbit, somehow I'm not surprised. [Smile]

All in good fun. [Wink]

rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Eaquae Legit:
Did George continue the prank shop, or did he spiral into a deep depression and die a lonely death drowning in a vat of butterbeer? Who was the new Headmaster? WHAT does Harry DO for a living? Does he actually have a job somewhere, or does he rest on his laurels and the lucrative sponsorship contracts?

[ROFL]

quote:
Originally posted by MoonRabbit:
I had the craziest HP dream after seeing the movie and re-reading HBP:

Instead of trying to take over the Ministry, Voldemort and the Death Eaters formed a Magical Artists Industry Association and started cracking down on wizards who used the spells other wizards had created, demanding gold every time a copyrighted spell was used. They started pursuing Harry because he had used Snape's spells illegally.

There were doing this whole advertising thing, too, like the RIAA: "Curses aren't the only things that are unforgivable" and "Use a spell illegally, go to Azkaban". Weird.

[Laugh]
mimsies
Member # 7418

- posted      Profile for mimsies   Email mimsies         Edit/Delete Post 
Is there a thread for Deathly Hallow Errors yet?

I was sure in a previous book, Ginny was described as having green eyes, but were referred to as brown in this book.

Collin Creevy wouldn't have been with the Gryffindor's in the great hall and then stayed behind to fight. He would have been gone long before (like Dean) because he was Muggle Born. He'd have had to run for it.

Edit: According to the Harry Potter Lexicon, Ginny's eyes are bright brown. (i.e. I was wrong)

edit for clarity

[ July 23, 2007, 12:06 AM: Message edited by: mimsies ]

Posts: 772 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  8  9  10   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.