FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » A Kosher question

Author Topic: A Kosher question
Wendybird
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Wendybird   Email Wendybird         Edit/Delete Post 
My daughter and I were at Costco today and got a hot dog. They advertise them as Hebrew National Kosher dogs. In the car she asked me if they are still kosher when they are prepared/fixed next to the area where the pizzas are made with all their variety of meat and cheese toppings. I told her I had no idea and thought I'd ask here. Hatrack knows all [Wink]
Posts: 1132 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm almost certain that a Costco hot dog cart does not constitute kosher preparation.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Kosher-certified food is not kosher unless it is stored (once open) and prepared under kosher conditions-- which the Costco kitchen does not constitute.

And many (most? all?) Orthodox Jews don't recognize Hebrew National as kosher anyway because it's not glatt kosher.

Some Conservative Jews might still eat it.

Not that I'm an expert, but I've picked a bit up eating with Rivka. [Smile]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
When "HebrewNational" brings up a GoogleAd for buffalo, elk, ostrich, rattlesnake, wild boar, llama, turtle, kangaroo, and caribou, kinda makes ya wonder what all they put into those hot dogs.
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
[Laugh] aspectre
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wendybird
Member # 84

Well thats what I figured but I wanted to make sure I gave her correct information!

LOL aspectre - I don't think I really want to know what they put in them!

Posts: 1132 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
Off topic, but I love Hebrew National hot dogs. They're the only ones I'll eat.

Yummy! Maybe we should have them tonight...

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Many Jews who keep kosher don't consider the Hebrew National brand to be up to stringent standards, and therefore will not eat them.

Even if they were a strictly kosher brand, however, that kosher status would only hold if they were prepared on kosher equipment, which I'm pretty sure the Costco snack bar doesn't have.

So, short answer -- not kosher.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
Eww!

While they claim it's technically kosher, this seems so wrong.

(yes, I know it's Shabbos, and realize an authority on the subject will not respond until tomorrow night)

Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, if it's not made with pork, just artificial flavors, why couldn't it be kosher?

Bacon Salt, for instance, has some kind of kosher certification and is working on becoming OU certified (a much longer process, apparently.)

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
I was shocked when I found out that not all kosher pickles are kosher. [Eek!]
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

All kosher pickles are kosher, just not all pickles with kosher in the NAME are kosher. [Wink]

Yes, folks, it's true, "kosher dill" just means it has garlic in it.

Tatiana
Member # 6776

LOL kq, okay. I just was shocked that it can say "Kosher Dill" on the label, and not be kosher. All this time I thought I was eating kosher pickles and they were unkosher? I felt betrayed.
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
"Kosher" means that it contains no forbidden ingredients and that it is prepared with equipment that is not used for non-kosher stuff. Oh, and there are a few special rules about the preparation, as well.

There are foods that seem for all the world that they ought to be kosher -- say, matzah ball soup -- that are not, because they do not meet the requirements, and others that seem unlikely -- ham soda (unlikely in so many ways) -- that are. The best assurance that something is a bona fide kosher product is kosher certification -- that is, an independent group with expertise in such things comes in to examine ingredients, equipment, preparation, and puts its seal of approval on the product. There are national and international groups that certify commercial products with wide distribution, regional ones, and local, community-based ones that may certify, say, a local restaurant.

Ham soda, huh? I wonder what it tastes like? Sweet? Salty? Meaty? Unappealing? Yeah, I'm guessing all four.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Valentine014:
Eww!

While they claim it's technically kosher, this seems so wrong.

(yes, I know it's Shabbos, and realize an authority on the subject will not respond until tomorrow night)

I like Bac-Os. And "It's Not Shrimp", which is a fake shrimp made, I believe, of Alaskan pollack. I've heard rabbis say that God has made enough things forbidden that it's kind of ridiculous for us to add to it for no reason.

Then again, I know a lot of people who won't eat mock treyf. Their loss.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:
There are foods that seem for all the world that they ought to be kosher -- say, matzah ball soup -- that are not, because they do not meet the requirements, and others that seem unlikely -- ham soda (unlikely in so many ways) -- that are.

What irks me the most is the non-dairy creamers that are OU-D. That's just so dumb.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

There are OU-D margarines, too, I believe.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
Then again, I know a lot of people who won't eat mock treyf. Their loss.
I know how you feel. There are Mormons who don't drink virgin margaritas, or other non-alcoholic versions of alcoholic drinks, either. I can understand their reasoning, but I don't happen to feel that way. [Smile] More for me!
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Although I can understand them avoiding Postum. Man, that stuff is nasty!
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Strangely, some of the same ones who won't drink virgin margaritas drink Postum. But not all.

I don't know why anyone drinks Postum. Ick.

Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
But I thought that Mormons weren't supposed to drink coffee because it is a hot beverage?
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

I'm pretty sure they avoid it even after it's cooled off, too.
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
There are OU-D margarines, too, I believe.

Most of them, actually. It's irksome.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Actually, "hot drinks" has been interpreted as "coffee and tea." So we don't drink, eat, or otherwise consume coffee, tea (from the tea plant), or anything that has them in them, hot, cold, or otherwise, unless there is a medical reason and it is prescribed or advised by a doctor or other medical professional.
Wendybird
Member # 84

Gimme a good virgin pina colada any day [Wink]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Since I'm not a big fan of coconut, not for me. But I adore a virgin strawberry margarita. Mmmmm.
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
JenniK gets one every time we eat out. She doesn't like it non-virgin.

[Wink]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Not mormon, but at a 4-H conference I was at it took us twenty minutes to convince the adults we could make virgin maragritas for the state fair board. Eventually we called it "frozen limeade" It went with our group's theme for the cookout as 4-H Fiesta, we also made salsa, grilled corn, and three types of fajitas.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Good grief, 20 minutes and a name change?

When my mom had a hard day at work and we were having burritos for dinner (a standby at our house-- pull out some cheese, shred some lettuce, microwave some refried beans, heat some tortillas, and put out a jar of salsa-- so we ate it a lot) she would make herself a margarita or a tequila sunrise and make us the virgin version (if we behaved ourselves!)

I've ordered my three-year-old a virgin strawberry margarita, she loved it and the waitress didn't bat an eye!

breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I think our theme got us second place, so we were happy. Especially for going way under the price budget even after splurging on the frozen margarita mix. The winners did South Beach Fair. I don't remember what they served, but we all had to do it all on a grill and under $100 for 25 people.

I'd always have a virgin long island iced tea at one of my mom's friends houses. Coke with sour mix. Lots of fun.

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
miamiandy
Member # 8906

- posted      Profile for miamiandy   Email miamiandy         Edit/Delete Post 
There are many different degrees of being kosher. Some Jews keep whats better known as kosher style. Namely the no meant and cheese and no pork, seafood, etc. Some only eat kosher meat. And more religious style some only eat food cooked with Kosher utensils that are used only for meat.
Posts: 35 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
miamiandy
Member # 8906

- posted      Profile for miamiandy   Email miamiandy         Edit/Delete Post 
There are many different degrees of being kosher. Some Jews keep whats better known as kosher style. Namely the no meant and cheese and no pork, seafood, etc. Some only eat kosher meat. And more religious style some only eat food cooked with Kosher utensils that are used only for meat.
Posts: 35 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
What exactly is Postum? I always wondered.

Einstein Bagels aren't kosher. I asked the first time I ever went into one and the girl gave me a blank stare and said she'd ask her manager. I told her that if she had to ask, it meant they're not. She wasn't convinced and asked anyway and he confirmed my assessment. She also asked him what kosher is and he told her that it's food that's been blessed by a rabbi. She went on to ask why they just don't have a rabbi come in to bless the bagels and another girl ended up helping me before I could hear the answer.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I like Postum but I have gotten a cold the day after having it more than once. I guess it's possible the jar is infected, since I don't necessarily boil it... Boy I feel dumb now.

Do I dare try it? I really like it.

If you like caramel and toasted things, then Postum might be something that appeals to you.

I still remember fondly the home-made postum ice cream I made a couple of years ago. I guess when I was a rebellious teenager I had coffee ice cream a couple of times.

There's an oft quoted scripture that people sometimes aim at postum, virgin mixed drinks, and por-wine cheese that says "Avoid even the appearance of evil" or something like that. Well, I'm tasting the evil more than looking at it's appearance. [Wink]

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
I think every single one of you who does this whole "I don't eat X because of blah blah blah" is an incredibly dumb person and you're all missing out. There's nothing like kicking down a couple of harvey wallbangers with some red bull and white chocolate mocha and then having some pork-fried human baby.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
There's nothing like kicking down a couple of harvey wallbangers with some red bull and white chocolate mocha and then having some pork-fried human baby.

Ewww . . .white chocolate mocha? I prefer the dark. [Razz]
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
Did you know there are kosher Subways, now? Heard a piece about it on NPR. The ones that opened are doing really, really well.
Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

It's infuriating. They're opening one in Pittsburgh, but not in Chicago.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Yeah, we went out to dinner with Rivka a few weeks ago and they had just opened the new kosher Subway. It was very crowded both times we walked by it.
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Although I can understand them avoiding Postum. Man, that stuff is nasty!
Hey! You're knocking my ultimate comfort drink. What do you have aganst burnt barley? Oh well, I guess it is an acquired taste. But then so is Beethoven.
Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Oh well, I guess it is an acquired taste. But then so is Beethoven.
Beethoven is not an aquired taste!! Anyone who does not like Beethoven in utero, is suffering from a serious moral defect. The fact that some are able, later in life, to repent from this sin does not make Beethoven an aquired taste. They have been miraculously returned to a state of Justice through the grace of the gods of beauty.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just disturbed that you people are drinking Beethoven.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wendybird
Member # 84

We have a Domino's pizza here in town that is Kosher. They basically have two kitchens for preparing the pizzas. Dh says they do fairly well especially since they are located right around the corner from the Jewish center.
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

There is a kosher Dunkin' Donuts, a kosher Baskin Robbins Ice Cream Shop and a kosher Carvel Ice Cream shop in my town.
So, we're pretty much set for dessert.

Lisa
Member # 8384

We have a kosher Dunkin Donuts/Baskin Robbins. We used to have two kosher Dunkin Donuts, but the one in Skokie got caught cheating for the last time.

Wendy, where are you? The idea of kosher Dominos... yum!

What I really miss, though, is the KFC and Burger King(s) in Jerusalem. I used to get the Rodeo Whopper at BK, even though it wasn't on the menu. It's a Whopper with onion rings and BBQ sauce. They had this great fake ice cream cone you could get, too.

I remember once, I ordered my meal with a cone, and I put it down next to me while I ate. The cone had a flat bottom, obviously. Anyway, it was blistering hot, and when I finished my burger and went for the cone, the softserve hadn't even blurred, let alone melted down. It looked like it'd just come out of the machine. That's what I call "better living through chemistry".

I was at the BK in the middle of Jerusalem once when this backpacking tourist guy came in and ordered a cheeseburger. It was a riot listening to the girl behind the counter try and explain to him why there was no such thing.

Tatiana
Member # 6776

I gave up coffee and even hot tea with milk and sugar for my religion, but thank goodness I didn't have to give up cheeseburgers.... at least during the winter. [Big Grin]
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
Yeah, we went out to dinner with Rivka a few weeks ago and they had just opened the new kosher Subway. It was very crowded both times we walked by it.

You know I still haven't actually managed to eat there (even takeout)? I keep planning to, and it keeps not working out.

Eventually.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholar
Member # 9232

- posted      Profile for scholar   Email scholar         Edit/Delete Post 
The add for me on this page right now is Jones Chanukay sodas. [Smile]
Posts: 1001 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.