FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Your rationale on drugs-Help me make mine (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Your rationale on drugs-Help me make mine
Starsnuffer
Member # 8116

- posted      Profile for Starsnuffer   Email Starsnuffer         Edit/Delete Post 
I Don't think of her doing it as a terribly big deal, but I can't help but have the feeling that it's at least slightly irresponsible to do drugs like that, at least on a regular basis. Like if you put pros against cons... I don't know. The evidence seems to be overwhelming that while marijuana isn't Good for you, and excessive use probably isn't good, it's not inherently dangerous (aside from doing stupid stuff while high, which (shockingly to me) hasn't been brought up much in this thread yet..). At the same time it seems like I can live without it, and my body certainly doesn't NEED it, and it's just an unnecessary risk to do it.

Eh... Then the whole issue arises of what's worth doing at all--I can hang out with my friends and we'll have fun without drugs, but were we to drink or something would it be "better."

I just can't come up with any really compelling arguments in either direction on the subject, but the "stay out of that can of worms" side seems to make more sense.

Posts: 655 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with erosomniac and JT's excellent posts.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Starsnuffer:
At the same time it seems like I can live without it, and my body certainly doesn't NEED it, and it's just an unnecessary risk to do it.

Like eating fast food. Yet if a friend of mine wants to eat fast food every day I don't think he's a bad person for it.

Ultimately you'll have to decide where you'll draw the line for your friends, and where you'll draw the line for yourself.

There are lots of things that people routinely do that aren't good for you, and lots more that aren't a good idea. Most people do plenty of stuff that's illegal, too, even if inadvertently, by the time it's all said and done.

If I was to give my high school-self some advice on drug and alcohol use from my future-self, that advice would be education and moderation.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The evidence seems to be overwhelming that while marijuana isn't Good for you, and excessive use probably isn't good, it's not inherently dangerous (aside from doing stupid stuff while high, which (shockingly to me) hasn't been brought up much in this thread yet..).
What, like sitting on babies and smothering them or accidentally setting the house on fire? I haven't really run into many instances of that. Pot doesn't impair judgment, it alters mood. I guess there is a stereotype that people find things funnier when they are on pot.

P.S. I was never around my boyfriend when he used.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Starsnuffer:
(aside from doing stupid stuff while high, which (shockingly to me) hasn't been brought up much in this thread yet..).

Well, in my experience (I don't know if I've said this in this conversation yet or not, but my experience with pot consists primarily of hanging out with other people who were smoking it. I have tried it , but it was years after most of my friends did (and now many years ago), and something I only did a few times), the stupid stuff people do when high consists primarily of disjointed conversations about the nature of time (and so forth) and over-eating. Generally, pot isn't a drug that motivates people to get out and do stuff while they're high. I can't point you to any studies that confirm a relative lack of activity while stoned, but I'd expect that they're out there.

quote:
At the same time it seems like I can live without it, and my body certainly doesn't NEED it, and it's just an unnecessary risk to do it.
Oh, sure, you don't need it at all. And there's certainly a lot to be said for sobriety. In general I vastly prefer it to intoxication.

quote:
Eh... Then the whole issue arises of what's worth doing at all--I can hang out with my friends and we'll have fun without drugs, but were we to drink or something would it be "better."
Nah, it'd just be different. And I know that I usually had a pretty good time being unintoxicated while hanging out with people who were stoned. It's not like you have to do it in order to have fun with those people. If I were you I'd pass on the stuff, myself. There's certainly no harm in not doing it.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
Star, as I said in my first post and as others have subsequently repeated, the ethics of responsible drug & alcohol use are entirely subjective and personal. All I can suggest is that you get educated about the substances in question, then use that information to make your own decision about yourself and your friend. You keep asking for a "compelling argument," but there are compelling arguments on both sides of the spectrum, depending on how well they fit with your own personal philosophy, morals, beliefs, etc.
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

I think it's going too far to say they are entirely subjective. I mean, whether to drink and drive could be considered part of the ethics of responsible drug & alcohol use, and some folks think it's fine to drive if they "feel okay." But their perception of their condition is dependent on their condition.

Pot's effects are more subtle, but I think there can be harm in being made to feel good despite one's situation.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

quote:
I think it's going too far to say they are entirely subjective. I mean, whether to drink and drive could be considered part of the ethics of responsible drug & alcohol use,
Do you know anyone that would call drinking and driving responsible drug use?
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
She just said "some folks think it's fine if they 'feel okay'." And unfortunately I have met some of them who "feel okay" so they drive while they are obviously impaired (at least, obviously once they get in the car.)
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

So, I'm confused. pooka's establishing that people vary in their opinion on whether drinking and driving is responsible in order to support her statement, "I think it's going too far to say they are entirely subjective?"

What?

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
No. She's saying people may think they are entirely subjective, but most of us would say that those people are irresponsible, and that standards for that kind of behavior should be objective, so the rest of us aren't subject to drunk drivers.

At least, that's how I read it.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

quote:
Do you know anyone that would call drinking and driving responsible drug use?
Normally I wouldn't have thought so, but I saw a bit of that going on this last weekend. I didn't count anyone's drinks, but I thought the idea was that if you drink at all, you shouldn't drive, and yet there were people driving. I asked the hostess and she said "He hasn't had anything in two hours". I didn't know there were rules like that.

I'm also not sure, but I think advocating illegal drug use might be a violation of the TOS.

Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
So, I'm confused. pooka's establishing that people vary in their opinion on whether drinking and driving is responsible in order to support her statement, "I think it's going too far to say they are entirely subjective?"
People having varying opinions about a topic does not mean that the topic is subjective.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

When you're talking about ethics? Sorry, but yes, yes it does.
quote:
Normally I wouldn't have thought so, but I saw a bit of that going on this last weekend. I didn't count anyone's drinks, but I thought the idea was that if you drink at all, you shouldn't drive, and yet there were people driving. I asked the hostess and she said "He hasn't had anything in two hours". I didn't know there were rules like that.
The general estimate is that you can process the alcohol from one alcoholic drink (12 oz beer, 4 oz glass of wine, 1.5 oz 80 proof alcohol, IIRC) in one hour, which obviously varies by person.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:

It depends on how much you weigh, whether you have a fast or slow metabolism, what you have been drinking, etc. There are lots of charts out there with general guidelines; I think one beer takes 1/4 the time to metabolize as one cocktail, etc. Googling for it would probably come up with some pretty reliable charts. Of course for some people the charts are not accurate; they may not be safe for longer, or they may be ready faster. But they're decent general guidelines.
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm also not sure, but I think advocating illegal drug use might be a violation of the TOS.
Was this random, or did I miss someone advocating illegal drug use?
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
I think you get in a sticky situation whenever you talk about drug use in general on a forum, especially if people are relating personal experiences. Guess it depends on how you define "advocate".
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
When you're talking about ethics? Sorry, but yes, yes it does.
Sorry, but no, no it doesn't.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

I'm sorry, I keep forgetting that moral absolutionists exist, because that attitude is so far outside my range of thinking that I have trouble conceiving of people actually believing it.

Edit: language quibble.

Dagonee
Member # 5818

You should work on that. It's a particularly useful trait for a subjectivist.
Avadaru
Member # 3026

- posted      Profile for Avadaru   Email Avadaru         Edit/Delete Post 
Smoking marijuana has never once inspired me to go out and "do something stupid". In fact, it usually inspires me to do nothing at all - when I smoke, I like to sit on the couch with my dogs and watch TV. Sometimes when I smoke I get artistically inspired and pick up a paintbrush, which I hardly consider harmful. I have never heard of any incidents where marijuana was solely responsible for impairing someone's actions to the point that they were injured or injured someone else. Can't really say the same for alcohol, and yet it's completely legal...hmmm.....
Posts: 1225 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
My guess is that the reason for that is more psychological than chemical; drug use distracts one from the more meaningful pursuits in life, and instead focuses one on mere means of contentment - and very dangerous means at that.
If this is a justification for the illegality of marijuana, television should be extraordinarily more illegal than pot.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Now I'm wondering what extraordinary illegality would consist of . . .
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that it'd mean that at random intervals a guard would show up outside your cell and shout "what were you thinking?" in an angry, accusitory tone.

[Edit--on holidays and birthdays they'd have relatives show up and do the shouting]

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Certainly the punishments for dealing in televisions would have to be pretty harsh, but not as bad as the life sentences imposed on Blizzard Entertainment.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps not only is it illegal but Judge Judy personally walks to your door and punches you in the gut [Wink]
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think it would take some pretty difficult rationalization to try and argue that the seemingly strong tendency of marijuana users to have problems is not caused in part by the marijuana use.

I'm surprised to hear this from you Tres, given your normal thought processes.

The obvious answer is that you only hear about the "marijuana users who have problems". The marijuana users who don't have problems for the most part go around minding their own business and living productive lives.

In certain geographic areas, (I'm thinking of several areas specifically in California, one being Santa Cruz) I think you'd find regular marijuana usage rates exceeding 60% and the majority of the population still living productive lives.

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Actually, BannaOj, Tres's stance in this thread is consistent with his stance in the alcohol thread. Guess Tres is just really opposed to anything that gets you high.
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
The stance is consistent but not precisely the logic. [Wink] (although I should go back and re-read it to double check, while he made a strong statement, it didn't bother me like this one did)

Even though his logic may be occasionally convoluted or hard to follow I normally don't find that glaring of a fallacy in most of his statements, even when I strongly disagree with his opinion.

It would be interesting to have him become Xaposert and argue the other side on this one, precisely because it is against his personal beliefs.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
None of you has mentioned Hatcrack, the most addictive drug known.
Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DevilDreamt
Member # 10242

- posted      Profile for DevilDreamt   Email DevilDreamt         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Icarus:
Actually, BannaOj, Tres's stance in this thread is consistent with his stance in the alcohol thread. Guess Tres is just really opposed to anything that gets you high.

Too bad he wasn't around to give you advise on those wax wings. "Kids, just say no to drugs and alcohol, and flying to close to the sun."

I've tried pot exactly 6 times. I tried it out of curiosity, and I hated it every time (except for the last time, when I didn't get very high at all, that was kind of pleasant).

My understanding is that pot is a little different for everyone. I've never heard of anyone blacking out from pot, although it's a pretty common occurrence with alcohol. That's important to me, that you remember the things you say and do while stoned.

Anyway, pot may not be for you. The first five times I got high, this was the progression (with ratings!).

Step one: Reality seems fake, surreal, like you're watching television. I feel very detached from my surroundings. If I stare at something (or someone) for too long, I start to lose my identity and believe that I am whatever I happen to be observing. Somewhat enjoyable, but confusing. C+

Step two: Time slows way down. I get worried that I won't be able to have a conversation with someone because the pauses in between each word seem to stretch over huge chasms of time, and holding one word in my mind to connect it to the next feels like an epic task. Eventually, the passage of time becomes so slow I start to worry that I'm going to grow old and die before they get to the next word. This might be some sort of paranoia, I'm not sure. E-

Step three: Time starts to become normal, only now it's like I can feel every single cell in my body, and they're all slowly dieing. Warning: Don't mix pot with alcohol. Alcohol with pot at this step makes it feel like I'm aware of every cell in my body, and they are all on fire. F

Posts: 247 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
The line between illegal and legal drugs is purely arbitrary anyway. Coffee, alcohol, medication - it's all drugs.

It's just that because it's legal, it's kinda not a drug in the mindset of the conservative population.

We've all seen drunken kids out of control and god knows I've been there myself more than once.

I'm not sure if this has been posted here before or of any refuting studies - I'm sure they'll crop up here pretty soon, this being Hatrack [Wink]

Info on 'matrix of harm'
Another article, with nice little graphic at the bottom
Easier reading version of same

I believe marijuana should be legalised, along with MDMA and perhaps a couple of other low-level drugs.

Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
I personally have a huge problem with drugs that are used for recreation and creativity. I feel that using them detracts from your ability to reach those states naturally - all of which can be attained naturally. I believe they make you weaker.

A lot of artistic people use them as a crutch for experiencing a trance state or going to a creative sphere, and the more they become dependent on that vehicle, the less likely they will be to develop the means to create or trance without assistance.

I have never used marijuana, and all of my friends that began smoking it on a semi-regular basis got noticeably stupider. Fuzzy around the edges, and out of focus. This was when they were sober, but had been smoking up for at least a month. My boyfriend at the time started suffering from significant memory loss, not to mentioned became incredibly apathetic in general.

These specific convictions came from years of experience with people that started using drugs while we were close, or had been using them as crutch for a long time. I am sure several other people have reasons why they are okay with drug use, or just ambivalent, but I absolutely hate them. I also can't stand being around most people when they are high or drunk, without initially knowing that they are inebriated. Gah, my OTHER ex-boyfriend is such a tool when he's been smoking up.

However, I'm also legalizing marijuana, and lowering the legal drinking age. I think smoking pot is pretty stupid, but prosecuting people over the act itself is also a big fat waste of time.

Edit: I cannot legalize any of those things. I, however, am okay with legislature doing so.

Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

quote:
Originally posted by porcelain girl:
However, I'm also legalizing marijuana, and lowering the legal drinking age...

Edit: I cannot legalize any of those things.

Tease.
SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

- posted      Profile for SoaPiNuReYe           Edit/Delete Post 
I smoke weed sometimes. I think that there are a lot of misconceptions about its effects on the body and how it affects people socially. People say that it causes peoples grades to slip, lose friends, etc. but none of that is true. I'm getting As and Bs, am a varsity member of the school wrestling team, have many close friends, and am in the schools gifted education classe. I may smoke weed, but it doesn't interfere with the rest of my life. I don't only hang out with kids that smoke weed, and I don't do any other drugs. I don't even drink that much. In my opinion, getting drunk is ten times worse that smoking weed because being inebriated can make people do crazy and monstrous things while being high just sorta makes the person chill for a bit. Let's look at it this way; you drink at parties with tons of drunken people are around; you smoke when you're home alone with a couple close friends while watching a movie or just talking about what's going on in your life. The fact that I can smoke weed, AND stay in shape for wrestling says something about its 'health' affects.
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
And I've heard it causes double posting. =)
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

Lol that's cause I misclicked on my mouse and thought I was editing when I was quoting. I always post and then edit because I find it easier to read for mistakes without that annoying scroll bar.
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

I frequently double post by accidentally hitting the quote key too, and I don't do weed. [Smile]

If weed were legal, though, would people still smoke it in small, private groups, or would they be more likely to add weed to the party scene, thus doing away with that benefit?

SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

I think weed is already a part of the party scene and it's just that people are much more hesitant to try weed than to drink for some reason. At parties people want to dance and make out and things, and drinking and ecstasy fit more into that type of role than weed does.
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Seriously, I'm very surprised there are so few antis on this thread.

I think drugs are terrible. And yes I agree that alcohol is just as bad.

But marijuana definitely changed many of my hs friends from bright people with lots of plans into lotus-eater types who worked at low-paying jobs and stayed high as much of the time as they possibly could. The guy who finished first in my sister's hs class, who made a perfect score on his ACT, she saw not too long ago working in the parking lot of her office building downtown. Probably because it's a job that lets him smoke dope on the job. Also it's not very demanding, so you can do it while extremely high.

Here are some more real life stories of people I know. One friend smoked a lot, and so to keep it from being a total financial drain began to buy more than he needed, and sell to friends. Then he got arrested and spent 5 years in jail. When he got out, his former bosses decided he owed them the money for the last kilo they'd sent which the police had confiscated. No way he as an ex-convict could make enough at a regular job to pay them back quickly. So he began to deal again because .... this is the punch line... he FEARED FOR HIS LIFE if he didn't pay them back.

In other words, one day you could be sitting around his trailer enjoying a joint after you stopped by to pick up your lid or whatever and his bosses, the mafia dudes who sell to him, could break in and shoot everyone because he didn't pay.

So when you participate in the illegal drug culture, know the people you're connecting yourself with. They are utter sleazebags who make their living off the ruin of other people's lives, and kill young kids who don't assume all the risk for a business that only they make much money in. Why do drug dealers live with their moms? It's because you don't make money as a dealer.

So even if you're only a user, you still have to swing by the dealer's house to pick up your illegal substances, whatever they may be. That place is a place of business for the mafia.

Another guy I know, the son of a friend of my family's, got involved with drug people and one day his father got a call "Tell your son to move home now, if you want him to live." Very serious sounding. He begged his son to move home but he refused. Next month he was murdered. That's all of the story we know.

Next, illegal drugs, including marijuana, are often laced with stuff. You don't know what they're laced with or in what strength. It used to be a favorite thing to do to cut in grass clippings with the weed, then lace it with PCP or something so the people still get high and don't complain. PCP caused one guy I know, a very calm peaceful sort of guy (he smoked dope all the time, so.... yeah), caused him to cut his five cats apart limb from limb while they were still alive and throw them in the bathtub. He was prosecuted for it and went to jail for animal cruelty. PCP makes people do crazy stuff that they would never do. All kinds of drugs are laced with other drugs and you never know what you're getting.

Another son of my parents' friends died of a cocaine overdose in his thirties. When we were in hs he started out drinking and smoking weed. Later on that didn't do it for him any more so he got into cocaine.

These are true stories of people I've known in my life.

Another guy I knew drank too much and fell off a ladder at his construction job, and became a paraplegic. Yet another guy I knew through my work got drunk once and fell off a balcony at a party and his face got all smushed. They thought he was going to die but he lived with much plastic surgery and hospital time. His mother signed her life away to pay for it because he didn't have insurance. 10 years later she's still making payments on his face. She doesn't make much money and what should have gone toward her retirement and to build up her family's prosperity, pay for education, etc, instead is still paying off his accident.

I can think of another dozen or so stories without even touching on alcoholism in my extended family, and all the damage that has caused to the family connections. It reverberates through the generations. I absolutely hate drugs and alcohol.

So, yeah, the picture of a dope smoker in my mind is someone from the lower middle class or lower class who has a blue collar job, or minimum wage job, and will never advance. He has everything he needs. He gets paid on Friday night and kicks back with a case of beer and enough dope to keep him high until Monday morning. His four kids were exposed to drugs and alcohol in the womb by all of their mothers, his girlfriends, and are now wards of the state.

Drugs are for people who aren't very intelligent. They're for losers and screw-ups. You all are smarter than that. You all have brains. You should say no thank you when that stuff is passed around at a party. The smartest thing you'll ever do is put all that money, all that alcohol and tobacco and drug money, into something positive like school. Invest in yourself, don't invest in tearing yourself down. You are too smart for that.

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

FTR, I AM against drugs (including alcohol and tobacco.)

But I didn't feel like elaborating on that in this thread.

Starsnuffer
Member # 8116

- posted      Profile for Starsnuffer   Email Starsnuffer         Edit/Delete Post 
"accidentally setting the house on fire"

A semi-friend of mine's brother apparently DID do just that. Alcohol and posssibly other drugs were involved though. All I really know is that her parents came home to a burnt up house.

Posts: 655 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

quote:
Pot doesn't impair judgment, it alters mood. I guess there is a stereotype that people find things funnier when they are on pot.
I do think this stereotype is mostly true, but I think it's an effect of something else. funny things become funnier. but action movies are more intense. sci-fi movies are cooler. philosophical conversations are more interesting. I think it just puts you in a state where you're really into whatever it is in front of you. be it tv or something more active. I've smoked and gone out hiking, played frisbee, cleaned and organized, worked out, gone out to social events, even gotten a lot of work done whether it be programming or writing an essay(which I would do very well on). It helps me focus(or used to). Normally I sit down to do work and i'm constantly distracted, looking around the room, playing with things on my desk, messing around on the internet, etc...whereas I could smoke just a little bit and work for hours completely undistracted. Though I fully admit that pot affects me differently from many other people. And one of the reasons i smoke so much less now is because whether it's from years of smoking or just age, i'm more naturally in the state that pot used to put me in. So I don't really need it or crave it as much.

I smoke similarly to how Avadaru does. Though less often now. I used to smoke a lot in college. And then even after college I would smoke every day, but in a similar fashion to how someone has a beer or two. I wouldn't get stoned. I would call it mildly high or buzzed. One or two puffs as opposed to whole joint or bowl. I probably smoked 1/5 of how much i used to in college and now 1/2 if not even less than what i used to a year ago. I drink probably 1/15 of how much i used to as I lost almost all interest in the feeling and loss of decision making and control that comes with being drunk.

Tatiania, I have some issues with your post. Besides the fact that the stories are anecdotal, many of them are a direct result of the illegality of marijuana, and not the dangers of the drug itself. But really, I can offer just as many stories of friends of mine who smoke and are investment bankers on wall street, who work for google and are taking a year off of work to travel around the world, who work on big government contracts and travel around the world as well(publishing photography on the side). Friends who work engineering jobs and play in bands on the side because they love to play music, friends who own their own companies, and many of my friends who work at the DOD job that I used to work at. I can honestly go on and on.

My point is not that pot is good and everyone should smoke it. My point is that we can all offer up stories supporting both sides. You can't blame pot for the fact that someone didn't do anything with their life. Just like you can't blame television, or video games, or coffee, or a relationship, or anything else. Would i be more productive if the internet didn't exist? No, I'd procrastinate in some other fashion. Do those things make it easier to indulge in those bad habits? Yes. But taking away tv, or marijuana from someone won't solve their problems(if they have any).

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Xavier:
My own opinion is that Marijuana is only a gateway drug because it is illegal. Currently, the same person who gets you pot can likely get you the harder stuff, or hook you up with someone who can. If it was sold at Walmart, I don't think there would be much connection at all.

Exactly. Or what fugu said.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for those links Troubadour. It's amazing just how damn effective the smear campaign against MDMA has been. It's nice to see some more ammunition to combat the misinformation out there. I see it in hatrack threads every time drugs are mentioned.

Not so bad this time, but I've seen several "marijuana is safe, but ecstasy can kill you the first time you use it!" or "holes in your brain! It cooks your brain!" or a variation of this several times since I've been here. All I can do is shake my head and try to correct them as best I can.

[ January 03, 2008, 11:22 PM: Message edited by: Xavier ]

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

quote:
Originally posted by Tatiana:
All kinds of drugs are laced with other drugs and you never know what you're getting.

And all rectangles are squares!
quote:
So, yeah, the picture of a dope smoker in my mind is someone from the lower middle class or lower class who has a blue collar job, or minimum wage job, and will never advance. He has everything he needs. He gets paid on Friday night and kicks back with a case of beer and enough dope to keep him high until Monday morning. His four kids were exposed to drugs and alcohol in the womb by all of their mothers, his girlfriends, and are now wards of the state.
This is a pretty silly POV, given the amount of data showing you're wrong.

The Report of the National Commission on Marihuana and Drug Abuse
. Lots of interesting demographic data, but of particular interest is this: "Use is found in all socioeconomic groups and occupations, though slightly more predominant among persons with above-average incomes."
quote:
Drugs are for people who aren't very intelligent. They're for losers and screw-ups. You all are smarter than that. You all have brains.
Since it's been admitted by many people in this thread that they either did or still do use drugs, you're contradicting yourself. Which is it?

I won't even touch the steaming pile of anecdotes.

porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
Conversation had with a past boyfriend that upped the ante on my anti-drug status:

Porce: I really don't feel comfortable with you and your friends driving right after smoking up.
Boy: I'm fine when I'm high.
Porce: You don't think it affects your reaction time or anything like that?"
Boy: Are you kidding? I'm faster when I'm high!
Porce: Oh, so it isn't your perception that changes-- you just get faster.
Boy: Whatever.
Porce: You're a lot easier to beat up that way, in any case.

It wasn't until one of my bff's watched a video tape of he and his friends getting high that he decided to quit. He was thoroughly disgusted.

I accept this isn't the case for everyone that uses marijuana, and that it's illegal status perpetuates social problems dealing with the drug trade. But I also hate imagining parents of small children smoking up because pot is so often accepted as less dangerous and less habit forming (haven't known any of my close friends that weren't addicted) than alcohol. I don't know. It makes me uncomfortable. But as I touched upon in my initial post, all drugs used beyond medical correction make me deeply uncomfortable.

I liked being in total focus, all the time. I like disciplining my self so that I can make my entire body and mind relax, kick start, or create, sans paraphernalia.

Anyway. That's a portion of my opinion on the subject.

Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

The illegality is part of it, for now. I'm actually not opposed to legalizing it. I think smart people will avoid it, anyway. And what I'm saying about those on this thread is that they're totally too smart to be doing such a stupid thing, and they should certainly rethink it. Seriously. If I'm the first person who has ever said this then it's high time someone did (so to speak). [Wink]

Seriously, you claim my knowledge is only anecdotal, but it's like a HUGE number of anecdotes that I've seen. I haven't even begun to tell you the whole list. And it has repeated itself my whole life long, for dozens and dozens of people I've known, from high school through college, young adulthood, middle age, not to mention my family going back a couple of generations. I don't see all these successful, happy drug users, either. I see lots of bleak lives limited and cut short. Or like that one guy who was successful and happy as a cocaine using executive in his late 20s and dead of an overdose in his early 30s.

Drugs indeed are for dummies. They're a trap placed for you by unscrupulous people who want to profit from damage to your wellbeing. You all are too smart to be doing something so stupid as falling in that trap. I've never been more serious or certain of anything in my life.

pooka
Member # 5003

I don't see that Tatiana's anecdotes are less valuable than the many positive anecdotes about drug use that have marched through this thread.
Strider
Member # 1807

quote:
Drugs indeed are for dummies. They're a trap placed for you by unscrupulous people who want to profit from damage to your wellbeing. You all are too smart to be doing something so stupid as falling in that trap. I've never been more serious or certain of anything in my life.
What if I was growing my own marijuana? What if it was grown by a friend of mine who was giving it to me for free? There is no grand conspiracy of drug pushers trying to milk us for all we're worth. And if there is, they are not different from any other business trying to maximize profit.

If you seriously think smart people avoid drugs then either your definition of smart is wildly different from mine, or you very misinformed about the pot smoking population of this country.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.