FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Buffy season 8, Angel season 6 comics (spoilery spoilers) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Buffy season 8, Angel season 6 comics (spoilery spoilers)
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone here check out "Spike - After the Fall"? They're doing a three parter that follows him instead of Angel. I have to say that I like it better than the Angel one. But then, I like Spike better than Angel. He was a better person before getting vamped, he was a better person as a vampire (still capable of love and compassion, and chose to get his soul back), and is just all around more interesting.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Haven't seen it. Will read it sometime, but I don't like the Angel comics enough to keep buying them. (So, if you'd like to mail me yours sometime... [Wink] )
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

#19 is out, finishes the time travel story.

Not sure what to think about it (right now my reaction = "Ummm?") It'll probably turn out to be important in the long run; in the short run, it didn't make much sense, and not even in any intriguing sort of way, it says that Willow's going dark again but it's not clear if that's just a possible future or THE future...

There were some funny bits from Buffy hanging out in Fray's world. But Fray et al. don't get to do anything interesting character-wise -- they're just guest stars here.

A character comes back for this one; the problem with the comic's art is that I couldn't tell for sure who it was supposed to be (could've been 2 or 3 different folks), I kinda guessed who it was, but had to look it up on another forum to confirm.

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

A fun online 3-pager by Joss: link
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
That three pager was awesome! One awesome thing about Joss is you know that was written for the fans.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

Oz is back! And with an actual good explanation of why he's been busy.

(That said, he's one of the characters that's hard to do in a comic book; his dialogue was so minimal on the show that it took Seth Green's acting to actually give him any presence.)

Jane Espenson's writing is pretty choppy, she doesn't have comic book pacing down yet...

AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
The Immortal never met the real Buffy, even the fake is only dating him because Andrew thought it would be a funny joke. Issue 1 of Buffy season 8. Andrews character gained alot of cool points for that twisted and sadistic joke.
Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

... and they did the Twilight reveal in the newest issue. (Though sadly it already got spoiled a few months ago.)

Kinda a "hmmm" at this point, waiting to see what they'll do with it.

I'm waiting to see if it's a fake reveal, since I still like my it's-Ethan-Rayne theory better.

AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
Next Issue: Them F@#$%*&

Joss Whedon, stay classy.

Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

I totally didn't see that coming. I still don't get it. I was also thinking it had to either be Jonathan or Ethan. But I don't think it's fake. How would Ethan know about what's been happening in LA (you know LA went to hell and then came back, right?)
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

Latest issue (#35) not so interesting, but, great ending! [Smile]

... but next issue isn't until September [Frown]

AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

Im still scratching my head as to how this ties in with Angel: After the Fall.
plaid
Member # 2393

Possibly not. A few months ago, when the Twlight = Angel stuff leaked out, someone at IDW comics was quoted as saying, why yes, the Dark Horse folks have been talking to us about what's up with Twilight... and the guy who'd just taken over writing Angel, Bill Willingham, said kinda bluntly that this was the first time he'd heard about it...
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
I can't believe you guys haven't figured it out yet. One of them is a skrull!
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

So thats why Xander has been wearing an eyepatch!!
Lisa
Member # 8384

You didn't notice him making Nick Fury references? Remember, Xander is a geek.
plaid
Member # 2393

So Spike's got rings and black nail polish on... has this been part of his look for the IDW comics?
plaid
Member # 2393

Joss Whedon's writing the last 5 issues.

But, they're not as good as usual; right now, too much confusion and running around, the plot's not making any sense, weird mystical MacGuffin stuff I don't understand at all. Hope the next ones get better...

Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by AchillesHeel:
So thats why Xander has been wearing an eyepatch!!

It's all fun and games...
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

I am both a comic nerd and a Whedonite but I have given up on all of the Buffyverse comics, they are just so far removed from the original content in art dialogue and story. I understand that Whedon isnt obsessivly controlling every venture and allows artistic elbow room for those who are doing the long hours to produce the books but they have lost my interest and my money.

Angel more than Buffy was great in at first, it was like Angel+ because there was no roof in what they could put in front of you, and Gunn's arc was especially interesting in referance to his long running depiction (he was always my favorite) but now... the cat girl having come and gone, Illyria is house trained and Connor is well adjusted despite the hell dimension memories.

I am current on all of it and now I just want to be rid of it, I never thought I would feel like selling my books of any nature. How do you guys feel about the where Buffy and Angel have gone?

Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
I've had a really hard time getting into Angel but that's partly to blame on it's last couple of tv seasons. I just wasn't interested on Illyria and the whole Connor drama.

As for Buffy, it wasn't perfect but I enjoyed the first half of the run. Then came the the Twilight reveal and the weird sex scene and I just put it down and haven't been able to finish. I rid about the bug character death that came after but it's hard to care in the context of everything.

I think both stories benefitted from the limitations of tv special effects and makeup. Without those confines, it feels like they threw all their creativity into bigger than ever storylines rather than focusing on the heart and the soul of the characters.

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

While I do agree on the limitations grounding them and forcing them to be better stories, Angel: After the Fall was a great arc that would have been minimized if they did it IRL and the story fit, even if just to have Angel tell Vamp-Gunn that if he had wanted to kill Angel when he was human he had been strong enough while tossing Vamp-Gunn around like a toy.

I wonder how many of the comic writers are hold-outs from the live action days... that might be part of the problem, new writers acting out thier own grandiose ideas of what the old had done wrong.

Lisa
Member # 8384

I know I keep going on and on about WaTchers, but honestly, it's much more true to the original show and the original characters and the original feel than any of the comics have been.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.