FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » "Understanding is a three-edged sword" a.k.a. Babylon 5 Discussion Thread (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: "Understanding is a three-edged sword" a.k.a. Babylon 5 Discussion Thread
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, if you have to leave a show, becoming the equivalent of a living god is pretty good on the list of possible results.

Kes from Voyager became insane, Sliders shot one cast member and had another sentenced to a breeding camp, even on B5 Talia was essentially overwritten.

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Just a few episodes left in Season 4. They sure are packing it in, but I wish they'd do more to explain what those little creatures with the eyes are that attach to people, and how it ties into the future that Sheridan saw of Centauri Prime in ruins with Londo has a possessed Emperor. I love that other plot lines are finally being resolved, but that one really has me curious.

It looks like we're nearing the big finale.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Halfway through Season 5 now. It seems like the BAM! isn't really there this season, which I guess is understandable considering the climax is already gone, but I like what they are doing with G'Kar and Londo. Without it, I doubt it'd be much worth watching.

It's funny, usually with shows I love, when they end I say "wait no! One more season!" And it feels like this time I got it, since they were planning to kill it after four (though it was planned for five). And ironically, I think four ended beautifully, and I would have been just fine with that.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

Yeah, the combination of the near cancellation, Claudia's departure, and Byron really sucked the life out of the first half of season 5.
*sigh*

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

- posted      Profile for The White Whale           Edit/Delete Post 
Now I'm worried.

We're nearing the end of Season 4 here in my apartment, and I'm still getting great satisfaction out of the shows.

Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

I did note "first half" [Wink]
One of the three problems gets solved with great satisfaction.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

There IS good stuff in the first half of the fifth season, but to me it's not the same as it was. It feels like we're back in season one with all the tension building since the climax is already past. Byron annoyed me. Either the plot was wrong or the character was or the actor just couldn't pull it off, but, his dialogue really, really annoyed me, and I didn't buy it.

SPOILER sorta

And I'm really surprised by how they are treating Lyta. I like Sheridan and Delenn, and Franklin and Allen, and I find it hard to believe that'd be so callous and thoughtless towards Lyta after the instrumental role she has played over the last couple seasons in turning the tides in their favor. Twice now she's been the KEY element in pivotal battles for Sheridan, and she only gets a perfunctory "thanks" and a boot from her quarters? I understand they don't much like telepaths, but geez, what does she have to do to prove that she's loyal and a good person? I don't like how she was treated, though I see it as the obvious set up for her involvement with Byron. Still, it's too much of a departure for me from how I view the rest of the characters, to believe that they'd be that rude to her.

UNSPOILER

I'll be all done with it soon, and then it's on to the movies. It's been a great ride, and I'll be watching for the DVDs to go on sale so I can snag Seasons 2-4. Sad to say, I can do without 1 and 5. Maybe if I see them on sale, but, nah. The only thing I miss from S1 is Delenn actually in Minbari mode, and some of the stuff with G'Kar and Londo. I suppose I'd have to get it eventually, and I guess I have to get 5 if I want what was supposed to be the finale episode to S4. Oh well, all in good time.

the_Somalian
Member # 6688

- posted      Profile for the_Somalian   Email the_Somalian         Edit/Delete Post 
NO ONE likes Byron. What a tool.
Posts: 722 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Halfway through Season 5 now. It seems like the BAM! isn't really there this season, which I guess is understandable considering the climax is already gone, but I like what they are doing with G'Kar and Londo. Without it, I doubt it'd be much worth watching.
Very yes.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by the_Somalian:
NO ONE likes Byron. What a tool.

You mean the emo hair-band refugee??
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
The telepathetic refugee with the high-pro glow?
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

We've got two episodes in the Fourth Season, and we'll finish them tomorrow.

Next week is my Spring Break, so I can do a Best/Worst of the Third and Fourth Seasons, because they're fun.

Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

Finished Season 4.

They could have dropped that last episode and we wouldn't have missed anything.

The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
The last episode of season 5 was filmed as the last episode of season 4. When they got renewed, they filmed the New last episode of 4. So it's about the quality of the rest of season 5. (Except, of course, the series finale which is good again)
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I enjoyed the last episode of season 4.

But yeah, it doesn't really fit.

But it wasn't supposed to -- it was supposed to take the place of all of season 5.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

Eh, I liked it too. But I'm a sucker for stories like Foundation or Canticle that loosely trace the development of a society over great spans of time.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

How about stories that blatantly rip off Canticle? [Wink]
Mucus
Member # 9735

Definitely.
If only I could get a TV show that rips off Foundation [Smile]

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

SPOILERS
Okay, with four episodes to go in S5, I'm feeling "meh" about this season. The telepath thing as represented by Byron isn't interesting to me. Lyta has totally changed, and I'm not uninterested in her change, but I think they would have been served better by having less Byron and more Lyta. I liked the Londo and G'Kar evolution, but I hate that Londo has been taken over by a Keeper. It seemed like after the "war" they could have settled things so easily and even after the bombardment the Alliance could have helped them. I hate seeing Sheridan at such a loss, and I hate Londo finally getting to the top but paying that price for it. It sucks. I really like Londo [Frown] .

The war in general seemed pretty goofy. It was so short, it was barely a war, it really looked like what it was: a plot that couldn't last longer than a season that had to end a few episodes before the season did. In many ways I wish they had done all this stuff with Londo and G'Kar last season so I wouldn't have to deal with S5 at all. I don't have the same bittersweet sort of happy ending feeling that I had at the end of S4, now it's really just disappointment.

Blah.

the_Somalian
Member # 6688

- posted      Profile for the_Somalian   Email the_Somalian         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, now I'm definitely going to be telling people to avoid the 5th season entirely and to conclude season 4 with "Sleeping in Light" as originally intended. There are payoffs in season 5, but I don't think they're worth slogging through the whole season for.
Posts: 722 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the_Somalian
Member # 6688

So I just googled "Canticle." Huh, a major science fiction novel I haven't read...
Mucus
Member # 9735

Personally, I just skip the first half of the season. That is watch the first two episodes then skip to Phoenix Rising when the telepath story ends.
The end of the Londo story and G'Kar story is too integral to the story to just skip.

$ Spoiler
$
$
$
$
$

Londo's fate is somewhat preordained and in fact this is a lot better than it "could" have been.

Keep in mind that we knew even in the first episode that Londo had his dream about his death with G'Kar at his throat. At the time we were supposed to assume that they die as enemies, badly.
And by the end of the 4th season, we already know practically all prophecies in the show come true with the exception of the ones directly linked with B4 not disappearing.
In War Without End, we get more of the background too. In fact, part of the whole point of "redeeming" Londo in the 2nd half of S4 and in S5 is so that he can make the ultimate sacrifice to atone for his actions and we'd actually sympathize with him.
Keep in mind, he was instrumental in mass murder and as much as we like him, that has consequences here.

So yeah, its a tragedy, but it *has* to go this way and it is rather core to the story.

[ March 14, 2008, 10:07 AM: Message edited by: Mucus ]

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Agreed.

As much as I enjoy Londo, the fact that he's able to be redeemed at all, even after tremendous suffering, is far better than he deserves.

But then, that's the beauty of mercy -- we don't get what we deserve.

Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Considering Londo is responsible for the deaths of over 20 billion Narn...and who knows how many other billions the Shadows killed with his help.
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

Telp: "They're only Narns."
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Two things:

1. G'Kar in the fifth season is talking about the philosophy of which is God, the light on the wall or the lamp, but which episode did that start in? I remember the episode of someone actually shining a lamp on a wall, but I can't remember which season it was in. Who'd he get that from?

2. Am I the only one who keeps wanting to call the Narn homeworld Narnia?

Mucus
Member # 9735

1. Lennier may (~30% probability?) have shone a lamp at a a wall when talking about the soul as a non-localised phenomenon in Passing Through Gethsemane. I don't remember any other specific references to lamps and religion off-hand, although Delenn often uses metaphors involving the universe as a deity and a candle.

2. Very possibly.

The White Whale
Member # 6594

After delays for school work and class competitions, my and my room mate just finished the series.

I'm sad now that it's done. The same sadness I felt when I finished 'A Fire Upon the Deep' by Vernor Vinge, the Dark Tower Series, and the Harry Potter series. When I spend so much time in these worlds, it's hard to forget about them.

I hated the whole Byron / telepath story. It was just so painful.

But Londo and G'Kar were awesome, as always.

But now I'm off to do the movies!

twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
1. G'Kar in the fifth season is talking about the philosophy of which is God, the light on the wall or the lamp, but which episode did that start in? I remember the episode of someone actually shining a lamp on a wall, but I can't remember which season it was in. Who'd he get that from?

I only vaguely remember what you're talking about, but I seem to remember it sounding like a vague allusion to Plato's allegory of the cave.

Or am I just crazy?

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

It was similar but still quite different, as I remember it.
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
The Neil Gaiman episode from season 5 (the Day of the Dead thing) was one of the few I liked from that season. (Others were the Londo's heart attack one, the finale, the episode with a lot of character stuff that included the G'Kar philosophy stuff, and... one other one I can't remember now, but I know there was another one, because when I watched season 5 I was annoyed with how lame most of the season was, so lame that I could only name 5 good episodes.)
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I loved when all the Narns were asking G'Kar questions, and he was giving them these heady philosophical answers and they were like..."so what is is REALLY?" So G'kar sort of rolls his eyes and says "it's like a river," and they all went "ooooohh!"

As for the lamp on the wall, I KNOW that there was an actual scene where someone shined a light on the wall and explained the theory, it might even have been someone explaining it to G'Kar. I'm sure I'll find it when I go back and watch them all again some day.

I don't think I read that Plato, what's is from? The Republic?

the_Somalian
Member # 6688

quote:
Originally posted by The White Whale:
After delays for school work and class competitions, my and my room mate just finished the series.

I'm sad now that it's done. The same sadness I felt when I finished 'A Fire Upon the Deep' by Vernor Vinge, the Dark Tower Series, and the Harry Potter series. When I spend so much time in these worlds, it's hard to forget about them.

I hated the whole Byron / telepath story. It was just so painful.

But Londo and G'Kar were awesome, as always.

But now I'm off to do the movies!

I picked up "A Fire Upon the Deep" today because of this post. So thanks.
The White Whale
Member # 6594

[Big Grin]

Let me know when you finish it.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.