FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Thread Deletion and Biological/Adoptive Parents/Rights (Page 1)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Thread Deletion and Biological/Adoptive Parents/Rights
Baron Samedi
Member # 9175

- posted      Profile for Baron Samedi           Edit/Delete Post 
[Subject changed from "Did Tatiana just delete another thread?" --PJ]

I've just made a search for the thread about your quest to help your friend, and I can't find it. If I'm just overlooking it, let me know and I'll retract this.

Otherwise, a lot of people spent a lot of time giving a lot of helpful, realistic advice concerning your friend. It seems kind of insulting to delete all of that every time anyone questions your actual, physical and/or legal maternity to a kid that you know primarily from chatting on the Internet.

And this isn't the first time it's happened. Am I the only person who finds this rude?

[ January 25, 2008, 03:24 PM: Message edited by: Papa Janitor ]

Posts: 563 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Apparently the thread was deleted. It did become somewhat contentious at the end, though. I might have deleted it myself if it was my thread.
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Did Tatiana just delete another thread?
Yes.
quote:
Am I the only person who finds this rude?
No.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
This is why we need to shun thread deleters! GET THE PITCHFORKS!
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendil18
Member # 3180

- posted      Profile for Earendil18   Email Earendil18         Edit/Delete Post 
*two nods*

EDIT: Not to the pitchfork idea. [Wink]

Posts: 1236 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
String
Member # 6435

- posted      Profile for String   Email String         Edit/Delete Post 
Lol, reminds me of the Saturday Night Live Frankenstein sketch.
Posts: 278 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
I missed where the thread was becoming contentious, so I guess I'm just confused. But if it was getting mean-spirited, I can understand deleting it.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
It was rude. But it may have been necessary, from her POV, because of her emotional investment in Sasha and the thread itself.

I don't fault her for it. [Smile]

edit: Perhaps contentious is not the right term-- I struggled for the proper adjective and that was the compromise I came up with.

Without rehashing the details, Tatiana said she was becoming uncomfortable about the discussion (the tone and/or the details?) Later TomDavidson put out a very frank appraisal (not mean-spirited, IMO) of her and Sasha's situation, parts I agreed with and parts I did not agree with. Some people agreed with Tom (2 or 3?) and then the thread was deleted.

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Baron Samedi
Member # 9175

- posted      Profile for Baron Samedi           Edit/Delete Post 
I read it right up until just before it was deleted, and I didn't see anything that may have resembled a personal attack. Tom made a reasoned post examining her relationship with Sasha, but he went out of his way to make it respectful. And that was the worst I saw.

There wasn't anything there I'd even consider worth whistling, let alone blindly deleting 4 pages of comments for.

It seems to me that Tatiana wants, more than anything, to be acknowledged as the legitimate mother of this person. If anyone degrades her by referring to her as this kid's "friend," or even "mother-figure," rather than conceding that she should have all the rights and priveleges of someone who gave birth to and raised this child, she will instantly delete the thread and anything else that went with it. It's almost Orwellian.

And again, it's not the first time it's happened, under very similar circumstances.

Posts: 563 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't read the thread, and have no idea what is going on. From an outside perspective, this thread makes no sense at all. Can someone please explain the situation?
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

- posted      Profile for TL   Email TL         Edit/Delete Post 
Not this again...
Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
Was she part of the "we ain't gonna delete threads" club?
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tara
Member # 10030

- posted      Profile for Tara   Email Tara         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by JonHecht:
I didn't read the thread, and have no idea what is going on. From an outside perspective, this thread makes no sense at all. Can someone please explain the situation?

The threads about Sasha? Her adopted internet son? Ring a bell?
Posts: 930 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't believe the thread got contentious. Unless one's definition of contentious is "saying anything I don't want to hear."
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

quote:
Originally posted by erosomniac:
Was she part of the "we ain't gonna delete threads" club?

I doubt it. It doesn't seem to be her style.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Baron Samedi:
It seems to me that Tatiana wants, more than anything, to be acknowledged as the legitimate mother of this person. If anyone degrades her by referring to her as this kid's "friend," or even "mother-figure," rather than conceding that she should have all the rights and priveleges of someone who gave birth to and raised this child, she will instantly delete the thread and anything else that went with it. It's almost Orwellian.

I agree, and am not surprised she doesn't want to take an unbiased look at her behavior in this situation.

I only hope she saved that post of Tom's on her hard drive before she deleted it, because it's one she needs to read and reread.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I can see someone getting offended if it was suggested that an adopted child was not really her son. (confused)

[ January 22, 2008, 10:54 AM: Message edited by: kmbboots ]

Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
And I can see why several people felt it important to point out that he's not adopted and not her son.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah. That would be different. Clearly, I have not been paying enough attention. I didn't know that there wasn't an actual legal relationship.

I'm backing away quietly.

Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it depends a lot on how Tatiana and Sasha view the relationship, and possibly on Tatiana's relationship with her own mother.

I have someone that "mother" is the closest word to describe our relationship, but I don't consider her a replacement or competition for my mother. Now that I think of it, I have such a father as well. I guess I have a few mothers, really, just as I have many sisters. The key is, would I be grateful for my own children to have such people in their lives, helping them along?

Keep in mind as well that the LDS church frequently says you don't have to be married or have born children to serve as a mother, to nurture and love people. Though I have gotten a different flavor than I describe from the discussion on Sasha, which I have generally avoided.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

There is a difference between a mother or a father and a mother figure or a father figure. There are plenty of people I look at as father figures or mother figures, but that doesn't make them my actual parents.
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
what is the relationship?
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Keep in mind as well that the LDS church frequently says you don't have to be married or have born children to serve as a mother, to nurture and love people.
This is a gross abuse of the verb "mother," in my opinion. I nurture and love people just fine without ever mothering them.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

It's meant to be inclusive for people who haven't had those opportunities.

You have to take into account that LDS doctrine holds parenting to be a literal quality of God, whose perfection Jesus commanded that we emulate. And while God is our Father, we are also born again through Jesus and in a sense his children as well. Not figuratively, but of necessity. We must be born again in Jesus to become coheirs to God.

At least, I think that's what the Bible says.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
How ever you may choose to describe Tatiana and Sasha's relationship, what is evident to me is that Tatiana loves Sasha and is heavily emotionally invested in his well being. The word she and Sasha feels is most appropriate to describe her relationship to him is "mother".

As someone who, like Tatiana, has no biological children of her own and is unlikely to have any, I can fully understand why she would find it offensive when people imply that she doesn't feel the way a "real" parent feels and doesn't understand what its like to be a "real" parent. Such statements are condescending, presumptuous and insulting. First off, not all parents have the same kinds of relationships with their children. There are parents who abuse and neglect their kids and even among those who don't I find it hard to imagine that all of them have exactly the same feelings toward their children. Just because someone hasn't given birth or been responsible for an infant, doesn't mean that they haven't experienced the kind of genuine selfless love that parents often feel for their children.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
quote:
Keep in mind as well that the LDS church frequently says you don't have to be married or have born children to serve as a mother, to nurture and love people.
This is a gross abuse of the verb "mother," in my opinion. I nurture and love people just fine without ever mothering them.
Note that pooka used the word 'mother' as a noun, not as a verb.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
That's actually one of the reasons I consider it an abuse of the word.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I can fully understand why she would find it offensive when people imply that she doesn't feel the way a "real" parent feels and doesn't understand what its like to be a "real" parent.
I didn't see anybody say nor imply that.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

quote:
Specifically, she said, "to serve as a mother, to nurture and love...." I reject the assumption that nurturing and loving constitutes serving as a mother.
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
That's actually one of the reasons I consider it an abuse of the word.
According to the OED, the word "mother" has been frequently used that way for over 400 years. It seems more than a bit self-righteous to accuse people of abusing a word when they are using they are only using it in a centuries old, well established way.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Scott R:

Scott R, adding nothing to the discussion since 1999.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

quote:
Originally posted by The Rabbit:
As someone who, like Tatiana, has no biological children of her own and is unlikely to have any, I can fully understand why she would find it offensive when people imply that she doesn't feel the way a "real" parent feels and doesn't understand what its like to be a "real" parent.

And I find it deeply disturbing that some random stranger on the internet can convince a child and herself that she is his mother.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
Specifically, she said, "to serve as a mother, to nurture and love...." I reject the assumption that nurturing and loving constitutes serving as a mother.

Then you are rejecting the English language.

from the OED

quote:

mother, n,

f. abstr. Freq. with the. Womanly qualities (as taken to be inherited from the mother); maternal qualities or instincts, esp. maternal affection.

mother, v,

4. trans.

a. With it. To act or behave like a mother.

b. fig. To protect, as with maternal care.

c. lit. To bring up, take care of, or protect as a mother; to look after in a (sometimes excessively) kindly and protective way. Freq. in pass.

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

quote:
Originally posted by The Rabbit:
According to the OED, the word "mother" has been frequently used that way for over 400 years. It seems more than a bit self-righteous to accuse people of abusing a word when they are using they are only using it in a centuries old, well established way.

But Anne Kate isn't simply saying that's she has mothered Sasha. She's claiming that she is his mother and that he is her son. There's a huge difference there.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

quote:
As someone who, like Tatiana, has no biological children of her own and is unlikely to have any, I can fully understand why she would find it offensive when people imply that she doesn't feel the way a "real" parent feels and doesn't understand what its like to be a "real" parent.
Rabbit, I think the experience curve actually goes the other way: as someone who has no biological children of her own, you're unlikely to fully understand why Anne Kate is not a "real" parent to this young man. On the other hand, as someone who has cared about people without being their parent, I probably have a pretty good idea of what it's like to wish I were someone's parent.

quote:
It seems more than a bit self-righteous to accuse people of abusing a word when they are using they are only using it in a centuries old, well established way.
When you're using the verb "mother" to describe taking care of somebody, especially if you're meaning to imply certain overprotective connotations, I'm not going to complain about it. When you're calling someone a "mother" because they took care of somebody, I will. I think any use of the word "mother" that's intended for the use pooka describes -- to make people who are not mothers feel like they are in fact mothers and not caregivers -- is a cheapening of actual motherhood.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
She said, as near as I can recall, "I am his mother in every possible way except for legally."
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

I found it more odd when he was a minor living under his parents roof. Keep in mind that unlike many of our faith, Tatiana believes in "families" of choice and that the church will some day come around on gay marriage. Regardless of who may be right, that is her view when it comes to the elasticity of family terms and so I don't think this incident shows she is mentally ill and must be confronted.

P.S. Another note on "actual motherhood" is that LDS understanding is different. We all existed before we were born. What this means varies widely to different people. In some ways, my birth mother is acting as a proxy for God.

The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
But Anne Kate isn't simply saying that's she has mothered Sasha. She's claiming that she is his mother and that he is her son. There's a huge difference there.
Let me repeat once more, unless you are claiming that biological parentage is the only real form or parenting, then you are being condescending, presumptuous and rude.

I don't know whether Tatiana's feelings toward Sasha are comparable to those you feel for your son, but neither do you. I don't know if the level of nurturing and care she has given him over the years qualifies her as a mother, but then neither do you.

Exactly how much care must a person give before they deserve the term mother? Is the parent who neglects and abuses their child not really a parent? Is a foster parent who cares for a child but never legally adopts them not a parent. Is a step-mother who never cares for the children at all a mother.

Where exactly do you draw the line, what gives you the right to be the one who draws that line and what makes you so sure that side of that line Tatiana is on?

TomDavidson
Member # 124

I've never accused Anne Kate of mental illness. (Edit: this sentence was in response to Rabbit's original post, which has since been edited.) I've "confronted" her on this issue mainly because I'm concerned that by pushing the issue in this way, she's creating divisions within Sasha's actual family where none are necessary. If this adoption were necessary from a purely financial standpoint, there are other ways to obtain funding; Hatrack alone has donated thousands in just the last year to various charities, and I'm absolutely confident that we'd pony up for Sasha's surgery as well.

I don't think sundering the family who birthed and raised him is worth the short-term benefit, especially since that benefit is still purely a hypothetical one.

quote:
Let me repeat once more, unless you are claiming that biological parentage is the only real form or parenting, then you are being condescending, presumptuous and rude.
Again, my claim is this: if you have raised someone, you are their parent.
The Flying Dracula Hair
Member # 10155

- posted      Profile for The Flying Dracula Hair   Email The Flying Dracula Hair         Edit/Delete Post 
So when people say "adopted internet son", are people implying Tatiana and this boy have never met?
Posts: 299 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

Well, the sense I got that she's competing with the birth parents is something that concerns me as well. She can't replace them, and if she covets their role, she'll only come to unhappiness, in my opinion. If we can covet our posessions we already have (as some preachers say), I think it's possible to covet our children.
Scott R
Member # 567

quote:
Originally posted by Primal Curve:
quote:

Pot, this is kettle.

Prepare for annihilation.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that teenagers often benefit from having caring adults other than their parents to talk to. Especially at the age when they are pulling away from their parents and trying to develop their identities as independent almost-adults. It can be tempting for the teenagers (and their adult friends) to think “why can’t my parents be as understanding/cool/kind/wonderful as [non-parent adult].” What they are missing is that it is the fact that the non-parent adult is not the parent that makes that relationship possible at that point. They don’t have the baggage, they don’t have the family dynamics to deal with, they don’t have the responsibility and fear and worry. They can just be a friend. And the teenager doesn’t feel the need to test and defy and differentiate from the adult friend. They have no memories of the friend treating them as anything other than the adult they so desperately want to be.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

I find it bizarre we're seeing open speculation and comments about Tatania in this thread that people probably would have not been willing to vocalize in her thread had she not deleted it.
Scott R
Member # 567

quote:
quote:
How about the assertion that a mother nurtures and loves?

It is true that not everyone who loves and nurtures is a mother; mother being defined as one's female parent; parent being defined as one's direct, biological progenitor.

People keep throwing out the qualifier "real" though-- "real" parent, "real" mother. What's "real" is being debated.

Tom's adherence to a strictly literal terminology would probably do a lot to make certain that this very personal debate is framed within terms that can be easily understood, and less divisive.

I'm willing to go along with Tom's terminology, honestly. I think. Maybe I'll change my mind if someone offers me some cookies...

Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Pot, this is kettle.

Hey man, as long as I get to be Pot during the coming apocalypse, it's all groovy, man.

[Group Hug] <-- Huddles in the pre-apocalypic mutagenic glow.

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Maybe I'll change my mind if someone offers me some cookies...

I'm tempted to offer you some cookies just to be a troublemaker. Anything to avoid actually working, you know. [Wink]
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Here you go.
pooka
Member # 5003

I'm certainly considering she may one day read it, but not particularly hopeful that she will.

dkw: I think it's possible for parents of teens to have a hard time letting them grow up. I remember last year thinking if I wanted my child to move on to middle school or if we should home school.

I think God may have worked his hand in my getting a job so that wouldn't be an option. How odd.

P.S. Awww... doggie cookies.

I have some peanut butter bars with butterscotch chips right here under my desk. You are so close and yet so far, Scott.

Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Primal Curve:
quote:

Pot, this is kettle.

This is a great shirt. WARNING, profanity.
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.