FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Looking for Non Cliched Serious Anime's (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Looking for Non Cliched Serious Anime's
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Weird.

Blayne, watch "Noein". Seriously. That and "Ergo Proxy".

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anti_maven
Member # 9789

- posted      Profile for anti_maven   Email anti_maven         Edit/Delete Post 
With the exception of Akira, I've not realy seen much animé that really interested me. I have simliar feelings to Blayne, in that it all seems to be huge-mouthed silent screams and big eyed girls with big heads and little bodies.

Thanks for the tips and suggestions, I shall look to being proved a philistine! [Smile]

Posts: 892 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen Noein it was great.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Anyone know of any Anime's that are either

A) Borrow heavily from AD&D or 3.5 Ed D&D?

B) Similar to Avatar aside from Naruto and Bleach.

Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
Try "Record of the Lodoss War". I don't know if it borrows specifically from those versions, but it reminded me of D&D quite a bit.
Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Neither Naruto nor Bleach is particularly similar to Avatar. Perhaps Dragonball Z? Or any anime based on the Journey to the West. And I'm not aware of any anime borrowing heavily from D&D, but there are some that have very dungeon-crawling feels to them. For one on the darker side of things, have you seen Berserk? On the lighter side, you might like Slayers (Slayers Revolution, the latest, stands reasonably well on its own).
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

Oh, and check out Rurouni Kenshin if you haven't yet. It is a classic shonen series, so might fit in with your like for Naruto and Bleach.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lanfear
Member # 7776

- posted      Profile for Lanfear   Email Lanfear         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know. If you can get past the cliche's in Kenshin, you will realize it is an incredible gem, but it definitely has some of the standards of japanese animation.
Posts: 332 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by fugu13:
Neither Naruto nor Bleach is particularly similar to Avatar. Perhaps Dragonball Z? Or any anime based on the Journey to the West. And I'm not aware of any anime borrowing heavily from D&D, but there are some that have very dungeon-crawling feels to them. For one on the darker side of things, have you seen Berserk? On the lighter side, you might like Slayers (Slayers Revolution, the latest, stands reasonably well on its own).

There are simularities, the way combat works isn't that far different, in terms of element manipulation, just Avatar is better animated.
T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
I second Rurouni Kenshin and Samurai X
Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Seen those unfortunately.
Member # 11614

Unfortunately? Those are great.
Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

You misinterpret my words, I mean "unfortunately I have already seen them"
Member # 11614

Oh.....
fugu13
Member # 2859

The combat scenes in each are just loosely modeled on various martial arts traditions. That isn't enough to call them very similar at all.
Earendil18
Member # 3180

- posted      Profile for Earendil18   Email Earendil18         Edit/Delete Post 
Ergo Proxy has kept our interest so far, but I'm not fond of the very very contrived scenes in which characters exposit their motivations and reasons behind their decisions. There's no hints at future plots turns either, so I just feel like I'm getting jerked around. I'm an uninformed viewer, and at the same time, it's very obvious when I'm being informed. I'm honestly wondering if I'm becoming the proverbial "Back in mah day we had REAL anime" kinda person. The cranky neighbor. Maybe it's a phase every young person goes through, because I'm turning 25 this year, and I haven't watched an anime that I genuinely thought was great since...well...a while. They ALL have their cliches, and sometimes, it's just bad storytelling and plotting. They used to get away with it because it was "new" and "refreshing" and "different culture", now I'm just increasingly noticing how badly information is conveyed to the viewer, either through underplaying important elements, then overly talky scenes.
Posts: 1236 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
manji
Member # 11600

- posted      Profile for manji           Edit/Delete Post 
One Piece, king of shounen anime/manga.

I hear Fullmetal Alchemist is getting a second run this April.

Posts: 339 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

A sequel? Yay! I hope they finally introduce Nicholas Flammel. I was shocked that they never had a single mention of him.

Downloading Code Geass, any anime that has a Chessmaster trope is probably good to watch.

neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
Not so much a sequel as a remake. Basically, rumour has it that it will follow the manga's story this time whereas the first series diverged from it greatly (and is one of the very few manga-based series to do so successfully). The manga is still ongoing but looks like it may be coming to an end soon.
Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
String
Member # 6435

- posted      Profile for String   Email String         Edit/Delete Post 
Without going into to much detail, I'll let you know some of my favorites.

Patlabor movies. Good monster movies, and the last one is also a detective movie, a little.

Jin Roh: the wolf brigade. Historical fiction, maybe loosely based on true events, set in post ww II japan. Believable characters that are very easy to relate to. Military thriller / mystery.

Perfect Blue. Psychotic, twisted, funny, scary, has pop star.

I'll drop another Cowboy Bebop recomendation

Project A:Ko full of cliche' on purpose.

I got to go now, but I'll post more later.

Posts: 278 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Traceria
Member # 11820

- posted      Profile for Traceria   Email Traceria         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
I like G Gundam. It's less about war than it is about one on one tournament style combat, but it also gets a little wacky with the subplot stuff.

I like G Gundam, too, but more because it cracks me up than for any other reason.
"MASTER ASIA!!!" "DOMON!!!" "RAIN!!" "KYOJI!!!"
Lots of shouting going on. [Wink]
Let's not forget the Statue of Liberty Cannon, Hurricane (aka Windmill for my brother and I) Gundam, or Mermaid Gundam.

Besides Cowboy Bebop, which everyone should experience, I'd say Last Exile is a MUST. You've got some great suggestions up there, so I'll first, second, third or whatever the following:
Trigun
Ghost In The Shell, both seasons
Full Metal Alchemist
Paranoia Agent
Blood
Samurai 7
Outlaw Star
RahXephon
s-CRY-ed
Gundam 08th MS Team (short one, more realistic, as much as giant robots can be)
Naturo

Posts: 691 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Traceria
Member # 11820

Completely forgot about Kino's Journey! It doesn't look like much (edit -->) at first glance, but it packs an ethical punch.

That as well as Paranoia Agent and Lain (though that one's been around so long now, it seems) are good if you're looking for series that don't require a huge time commitment. These two are 13 ep series while I think Kino is even shorter.

Posts: 691 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Lain... ahh.. yes. A good one to mess with your mind. Paranoia Agent is a favy. I agree, Last Exile is a must as well.

You've seen Evangelion right?
Gunslinger Girls
Kiddy Grade
ZegaPain
Big O
Metropolis
Blue Sub 6
Full Metal Panic

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

seen Lain, nightmares for a week, seen Kino's Journey twas fun figuring her out as True Neutral, Last Exile was fun, seen scryed, seen FMA, and naruto.

Will take a look at FMP again.

Traceria
Member # 11820

quote:
Originally posted by Telperion the Silver:
I agree, Last Exile is a must as well.
You've seen Evangelion right?

Last Exile has to be my current favorite, and I've watched it through several times. And the animation style is beautiful to boot. </gush>

Seen NGE, and despite liking it, I kind of think of Rahxephon as the less whiny manifestation of a similar concept.

quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:
Will take a look at FMP again.

It's hard trying to come up with non-cliched AND good series. I'm sure there are some out there that fall in one or the other categories, but to hit both... Anyway, my brother really liked FMP. Of course, he's in the military and so could relate to the humor more.
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

I tried watching it but got distracted by something and hadn't been able to finish it.
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

You seriously need to finish.
The ending is what is worth the journey.
Seriously fraked up.
SERIOUSLY.

I would love to have Arch-Angel Gabriel as my lover. [Smile]

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

There better not be yoai in it.
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

almost done watching Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi and Azumanga Daioh, I really really really liked Suzumiya, it had the right style of animation I liked, a nice gimmick, and the sort of high school group of friends stories Im addicted to.

Daioh... Eh, it has its funny moments, I really dont like the style, and it REALLY ticked me off when in a scene where someone from Canada or States of England bumped into the Gym teacher rather then actually conversing in english they just had Charliebrown-speak.

I'm pissed.

But it is moderately funny enough ill keep plodding through.

Now I think Ill watch Negima next, Im really interested in some Magic A is Magic A Vance styled magic using anime or D&D styled, anyone have suggestions for that?

**Just in, I saw the most awesome "Enemy Gate is Down" moment in Anime when the SOS Brigade fought a virtual space battle against the Computer club, just pure win.

Mocke
Member # 11963

- posted      Profile for Mocke           Edit/Delete Post 
detective conan
Doraemon
crayonshinchan
sayonara zetsubo sensei

all fun all very popular and easy to get...except maybe zetsubo

Also, read manga. is betterer

Posts: 86 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

manga is betterer for...? Better != Radically different.
Mocke
Member # 11963

- posted      Profile for Mocke           Edit/Delete Post 
just better. More recently, anime'd mangas have been abused by pointless and stupid side-stories. Is better to read the manga to get the story.
Or the anime takes what was written in a radically different direction (as i think you are mentioning). This isn't always bad, but Manga gives a fuller story.

Posts: 86 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

So far I read the Manga for naruto and bleach because either the anime version went off on another dumb non canon side arc filler or is simply plain taking too long.

Im interesting in reading Code Geass's manga as it doesnt have the Knightmare frames whichs makes me think bwha!? Then how the heck did Britannia succeed in invading Japan which was implied to be Great Power in its own right because of having Sakurite.

Saephon
Member # 9623

- posted      Profile for Saephon   Email Saephon         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to be so obsessed with anime...now every time I try to get into a new one, my eyes catch a glimpse of my Berserk manga and I remember what real art is.

*reads*

Posts: 349 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.