FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog, and I interviewed Joss Whedon (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog, and I interviewed Joss Whedon
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
I really like the music, I've been listening to both episodes in the background just cause the music's so good [Smile]
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
I actually looked into iTunes just to get the episodes, but apparently it won't work on my computer (too old). So I guess I'll just have to wait for the DVD. Meanwhile, I've been making a transcript to tide me over.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
What about it won't work?
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. That was glorious. I love the last song, "Brand New Day" with NPH destroying a town. I'm definitely buying the DVD when it comes out.
Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
It says it requires Windows XP or Vista, and I have 2000. For video it says it needs a 2 GHz processor, but mine is 950 MHz, and 512 MB of memory but I only have 256 MB. So even if it did actually install, I don't know that it would run very well.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sylvrdragon
Member # 3332

- posted      Profile for sylvrdragon   Email sylvrdragon         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh my god... fanTASTIC. I'm beginning to like musicals I think. First Sweeney Todd, and now this. I think I have a new genre to search.
Posts: 636 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stray
Member # 4056

- posted      Profile for Stray   Email Stray         Edit/Delete Post 
The cowboy henchmen had me laughing till my stomach hurt [Big Grin] I love this, I can't wait to see the last installment!
Posts: 957 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheGrimace
Member # 9178

- posted      Profile for TheGrimace   Email TheGrimace         Edit/Delete Post 
All I have to say is that Joss is an evil, evil man... this coming out the same week I got to Once More With Feeling on my first full-strength Buffy run leaves me so entranced by all the music that i'm liable to burst into flames at any moment.
Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
I want a shirt that says "These aren't the hammer..."
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
airmanfour
Member # 6111

- posted      Profile for airmanfour           Edit/Delete Post 
"It's a Brand New Day" could be the greatest song ever. If that's what it's called...
Posts: 1156 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Bad Horse's messengers or henchmen or whatever they are are gonna be the death of me. I keep hearing them in my head, and I break out cackling in totally inappropriate situations.
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sylvrdragon
Member # 3332

- posted      Profile for sylvrdragon   Email sylvrdragon         Edit/Delete Post 
I predict that either Hammer or Penny is Bad Horse.
Posts: 636 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I predict that Bad Horse is actually a super-intelligent horse.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

The songs where all three of them are singing at once are like musical jigsaw puzzles. I'm trying to write the lyrics down, and the notation is getting very complicated. It's interesting to pull out the lines that I don't normally notice because they're buried under the other voices.

--Mel

scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't expect to love this, but i love this. Thanks for the link.
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Tom is secretly really Joss Whedon. What else would explain the funny and the accuracy?

I really liked that little movie. I hope they make more [Smile]

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
[Cry] Tom was right.

On the other hand, it's where the story was headed all along. It's a rule of the genre: The super-villain never gets the girl.

Yeah, I expected Bad Horse would be a literal sentient equine. [Smile]

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sylvrdragon
Member # 3332

damn you tom... damn you bad [Frown]
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't like the last episode as much as the first two. For one it was much darker, and I wasn't a big fan of the ending. Of course there was the obvious reason, but also because I thought the very end was very abrupt. I thought it needed another minute or two.

I guess we will just have to wait until they film a sequel.

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
*tear*

I am not supposed to be upset over a musical internet show. The first two parts are so much fun and then bam!

So are all future episodes going to be little three-part movies?! I expected the Penny/Hammer/Horrible triangle to last longer than this. I was expecting such a sudden, traumatic climax.

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought this was the whole thing. At least unless it proves to be popular.
Posts: 1577 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
I hope this genre takes off. And I can't believe your predictions, Tom. That's kind of eerie.
Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
The last episode seemed two accelerated, like they were rushing to finish it. I wanted more!

Nathan Fillon stole the show in the last one, though. Love the last shot of him on the psych couch. [Big Grin]

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
"We do the weird stuff!"

[Big Grin]

Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I thought this was the whole thing. At least unless it proves to be popular.
Oh, I thought they were going to be doing several weeks worth of episodes but the first week would be the only one available for free in order to get people interested and willing to pay for future installments.

So did they really mean that it would be viewable for free only during the first week and then it would be taken down and only available on itunes?

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Bridges:
Since this is Joss, he has only one 14-minute act left to bring true love to Dr. Horrible and then have someone tragically die.

You called it.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Not completely. Penny died with Doctor Horrible believing she was in love with Captain Hammer, unaware the infatuation had faded and that she'd missed Billy.

*wipes away a tear* [Frown]

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
I was kinda half joking, though...
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
I just finished re-watching Act III and I think Penny's comment about Captain Hammer saving them was actually done to spite Dr. Horrible.

She had already got up and left when Dr. Hammer started talking about sex. I don't think she was a fan of Hammer. She witnessed the entire entrance by Dr. Horrible. When Horrible sings "here there is no mercy," it is obvious she is watching the events. She evens whispers something..not sure what.

I think she knows who Dr. Horrible is and is so disappointed that she gets in a jab at him before her death. That is my new read on the matter.

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
He's kind of turning into a one-trick pony, though, don't you think? There must be other ways to interfere with a solid relationship than killing characters, I mean. Tara, dead. Renee (in the comic) dead. Penny, dead.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
He's kind of turning into a one-trick pony, though, don't you think? There must be other ways to interfere with a solid relationship than killing characters, I mean. Tara, dead. Renee (in the comic) dead. Penny, dead.

What "solid relationship" did they have? Doctor Horrible was obsessively infatuated with her but never admitted it. Penny was gradually realizing she really missed Billy, but never had a chance to explore those feelings. That's not a relationship, those are unrequited emotions.

And that's a rule of the genre...super-villains never get their true love. Especially not ones with a wistful streak. [Smile]

Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

quote:
Originally posted by lem:
I just finished re-watching Act III and I think Penny's comment about Captain Hammer saving them was actually done to spite Dr. Horrible.

Personally, I think she was delirious.
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Puffy. Penny was delirious. I just rewatched it with "getting in a jab" on her mind and that didn't fit her expression. Her expression was definately more of a lost expression than an angry one.

Besides, even though Billie was singing "no mercy, no mercy," he couldn't go through with it. It wsa Captain Hammer who DID go through with it, thus killing her.

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
I could be reading too much into it, but I think the final cut to Billy sitting in his basement, singing to himself in a soft voice staring into space, suggests that the preceding 5 minutes are all a fantasy he's playing out in his head. They make more sense as a fantasy than as actual events, even in the context of the previous 2.5 acts.

Am I crazy? If there's more to come in this series, I think Penny's alive.

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

Really? I'd like to think that, but it seemed more like "look how alone he is, and how nothing's really changed even though he got 'what he wanted' out of life -- and he lost his dream-girl to boot"
Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dabbler
Member # 6443

- posted      Profile for dabbler   Email dabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
I think you're totally right, scifibum, that it's going to have been a fantasy playing in his head.
Posts: 1261 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

I got the same thing as Leonide out of that last moment. "Gain the world but lose your soul" sort of thing.

--Mel

Leonide
Member # 4157

Been reading some of the forum on the Official Fan Site for the webishow...i like the idea that the villain has two personalities that are warring: Dr. Horrible, and Billy. In the end, we see Horrible win out, attaining his goals, but the final shot is of Billy blogging. Before this, we saw only Dr. Horrible blogging...so before, Horrible was the inner voice that needed to be heard through Billy, and now Billy is the inner voice that is trying to speak through Horrible. One has trumped the other, so to speak, and the weaker voice is always trying to have a say. When Billy lost Penny, he let Horrible take over.

Also, I'm pretty sure there aren't supposed to be more episodes of this story...the way Whedon and his writers have made it sound, this particular story was a once-and-done -- the actors worked for free and and all have other projects they devote most of their time to. What's hopefully going to continue is the format...small, low-budget webishows.

RackhamsRazor
Member # 5254

- posted      Profile for RackhamsRazor   Email RackhamsRazor         Edit/Delete Post 
Here is a link to the lyrics of the songs.
Lyrics to Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog

I was writing them down myself, but then I figured I should check to see if anyone else had already done it. Turns out-they had.

Posts: 306 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

Leonide, I didn't realise the Billy/Dr. Horrible switch and I think you're absolutely right (was that your idea or one you picked up, it's tough to tell. Either way, I think it's the correct one.)

For everyone else: It's Joss Whedon. He can't seem to end when everyone's happy.

That said, back to Leonide's comment, it's kinda nice to know that Billy is still in there somewhere. Whedon often tends to twist the dark dark dark ending a little, and turn it up at the end. Buffy, Xander and Willow get out alive. Serenity is still flying. Billy, although suppressed, is still there:

Dr. Horrible says says, "I won't feel..." but it's Billy who gets the final word and says, with no conviction at all, and without any musical conclusion to the song, "...a thing."

That's the Whedon twist, turning things up at the end, just a little. It's actually even more tragic- but less stark- that way.

I LOVED how Captain Hammer finished the phrase he was in after becoming unfrozen. I do that all the time and it made me howl with laughter.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

Teshi: not mine, just extrapolated from ideas i read on the forum. kind of my own with the stronger personality covering the weaker one. but that's it [Smile]

quote:
I do that all the time and it made me howl with laughter.
0_0
you resume the song you were singing at exactly the same place you left off before you were rendered immobile by a freeze ray?

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I would be genuinely surprised if there were more episodes as part of any sort of initial plan. It's pretty clearly laid out as a classical tragedy -- a man achieves his lifelong goal at the cost of his conscience -- and that framework is jeopardized by additional episodes.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

Leonide: Well, obviously sans Freeze Ray. I go outside where my singing would be a little bizarre for the neighbours, and resume the song- mid-phrase- when I come back in.
sylvrdragon
Member # 3332

One thing that makes me think that this series isn't over is that in the credits, all of the other villains in Bad Horses room were named. I wouldn't be surprised if he went on to write their stories as well.
Leonide
Member # 4157

Teshi: i do the same thing [Smile] but mainly at work...i sing in the kitchen, stop when i go out on the floor to serve, and resume the same song, same place when i go back in [Smile]
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
a man achieves his lifelong goal at the cost of his conscience
Does he achieve it? With the last shot of him in his old lair, I can't tell if he actually did.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think so. He seems pretty pleased with himself at the party, but at the bank he looks like he's going through the motions and hasn't slept in a week.
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

He's achieved it -- or at least that part of it he remembers. He's a member of the Evil League of Evil, has henchmen, and has enough cash flow to afford working gadgets and an upgraded costume. All that's left is for him to get around to engineering the social change that drove him to supervillainy in the first place (and of course that'll never happen, because his conscience is mostly dead already.)
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sterling:
I don't think so. He seems pretty pleased with himself at the party, but at the bank he looks like he's going through the motions and hasn't slept in a week.

...and he's subordinate to a freakin' HORSE!
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

One thing I really liked in the final song was how the background voices singing, "Everything you wanted" were quieter each time. By the third time, as Dr. Horrible was joining the ELE, it was nearly inaudible. As he assumed his new role, his old motivations faded into the background.

--Mel

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.